Status: I'm not always OL, so i can't always update my story/stories. i'll try if i'm not busy.

Twin Melody

Chapter 1

Mai’s POV
~~~~~~~~
I and Ayumu are at the roof top of his school, hanging around. I enjoy sightseeing at the cloudy sky and also enjoying the wind that caressing my cheek while Ayumu is napping beside me.

“Great. Overslept again.” I hear him said.

“Do you always sleep at break time?” I asked him. He gave me a faint smile.

“Something wrong, Ayumu?” I ask as we stood up. ‘That’s new. What happened to him?’

“Almost forgot today was the day.” He mumbled. I confusedly look at him. He glanced at me and continued walking. “Two years ago today my brother, Kiyotaka, disappeared. ‘I’m going to pursue the mystery of the Blade Children,’ he said.” Ayumu explained to me as we head down the stairs. “And with those words, he vanished without a trace.” He ended.

Then we heard a loud crash followed by a loud scream. Quickly, we ran to the source of the sound. We found an open door leading to a fifth floor landing.

“Hello? Talk about dangerous. The guard rail is missing.” Ayumu said as we enter the door.

“What was that all about?” I ask. Ayumu shrugs.

We peer over the edge of the balcony. We saw a crowd gathered around a girl who is unconscious.

“Did you do this?! Did you push her off there?!” The guy suddenly yelled w/c changes all the students’ attention to us... then I saw the guy picked something and put it inside his pocket.

I just stare at him then I heard Ayumu asks in a bored tone. “Huh?”

Few minutes later, the police arrive. I saw Madoka walking to the crime scene and talk to one of her officers. The girl has already been sent to the hospital. Then, there’s this hyper brunette girl who asks so much questions w/c annoyed me a little.

“Professor Sonobe, with your skilled educator’s eye, do you believe you saw the freshman student, Ayumu Narumi together w/ Ms. Mai Suzuki, commit this horrid crime?” She asks.

“As one of the teacher’s here, I don’t want to place blame on anyone… but I did see young Mr. Narumi… standing exactly where Sayoko fell from. And not to mention, Ms. Suzuki, was there too.” Sonobe, the guy I was talking about answered calmly.

“Ha-ha… That’s eyewitness testimony, folks.” The girl exclaims.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. Then she went up to Ayumu and me, “How do you feel about these accusations?” she asks Ayumu who scratches his head.

“I already told you once, I didn’t do it…” Ayumu said boringly. “Besides, what kind of an idiot would try to kill someone by pushing them onto a truck parked not fifty feet below?” he said putting his hands in his pocket.

“Only, today, the truck just happened to be parked there. Any other day, any other time, it would have been a straight shot right to the pavement.” Sonobe shot back.

“Care to explain this exciting new development in the story, Ayumu?” the girl asked again.

“I don’t have to explain anything to you…” he said irritatingly.

As I listen to them, I saw a blood on Sonobe’s left thumb.

“How about you, Ms. Mai?” she asks, pulling me out of my thoughts.

“None… All I can say is Ayumu didn’t do it.” I said.

“Are you going to help with the investigations?” she asks again.

“Yes.” I answered.

“Ayumu, it looks like you have something more to say.” She said turning the microphone to Ayumu, who’s gazing at Sonobe’s bleeding finger.

“Yeah,” he replied scratching his face “who are you anyway?” Ayumu asks.

The girl stands straight and does a salute as she introduced herself. “I am a sophomore at the Tsukiomi Academy, three-nine grade point averages, and head of the school newspapers. Hiyono Yuizaki.!”

“Enough, young lady.” Madoka cut her off. “It’s my job to question the witnesses here, not yours.” She said in a stern voice. Madoka’s eyes then landed on me and Ayumu.
_________________________________________________________________________

“This is from Professor Sonobe’s sworn testimony.” A detective known as Wataya, Madoka’s partner informed us an hour later. “‘Actually, I just transferred to this school a few days ago. So I’ve taken to exploring the campus during my lunch. As I turned the corner I heard a girl scream. Naturally, I look around to see what’s happening. Then I saw her fall, with the guard rail in tow. Everything froze for a moment. When she hit the ground, instinctively, I went to help her. Then I look up and saw Mr. Narumi and Ms. Suzuki standing there. They didn’t seem to rush to help.’” He paused.
“That’s his statement word for word. It makes you nervous. I’m trained to see this kind of thing… Now, tell me again, what were you children doing up on that rooftop?” he asks.

Ayumu answers first, “Like I said before, I was taking a nap… I got up, and as I was headed back downstairs, I heard someone scream, so I checked to see what it was all about. Don’t like it? That’s your problem.”

I bit my lower lip to hold my laugh on that last sentence.

“And you, Ms. Suzuki?” the detective asked.

“I was just enjoying the view of the sky.” I replied. “Got a problem with that detective?”

The detective growl, “Inspector, they obviously did it!” he shouted, pointing at us. I palm slam my face and sighs.

“Calm down.” Madoka said. “Now, when you were on the landing, did you notice anyone else in the immediate vicinity?” she asks Ayumu.

“Sure didn’t… It was only me… and her.” he answered and points at me.

The detective laugh, “What a grade A moron! By saying that, you’ve just place yourselves as the only people in the whole world who could’ve pushed Sayoko off that landing! You are the guilty party!”

‘Hey, hey! How he made into a detective, anyway?’ I thought.

Ayumu put his hands on his back and sit comfortably, “You know, I don’t have time for this. If I don’t get home soon… I’m going to be in trouble up to my eyeballs.” He said. I chuckled at this.

“Oh, is your mommy gonna yell at you?” the detective asks teasingly.

“Not quite.” Ayumu replied.

“It’s his gorgeous sister who will be mad at him… if he doesn’t hurry home right now and get a nice dinner ready.”Madoka explained.

“Huh?!” the detective asks smartly.

“Sometimes, I’m amazed you made detective… What’s my full name, Wataya?” Madoka asked.

“Inspector Madoka Narumi.” The detective answered.

“Good. Now tell me his full name.” Madoka said again.

“Ayumu Naru- That’s the… same name.” he said and sits there for a moment.

‘Slowpoke!’ I sighed.

“Brilliant deduction, you get a cookie.” Madoka commented.

“You mean this kid is—”

“This kid is my brother-in-law.”

“WHAT?” he shockingly shout, standing from his chair.

“I’m going to let you go. I just hope you realize what kind of trouble you’ve gotten yourself into this time.” Madoka said to Ayumu.

He sighs boringly and said, “Trouble and I are friends… I’m getting used to him.”

“Mai,” Madoka said pulling my attention to her, “Don’t worry about your public appearance. Since,
you’re also a famous detective—”

“I’m not worried…okay, a little… but I’m going to help you with this case.” I said. “And plus, that’s the reason why I came back here in Japan, right?”

Madoka nods and smiled. After that, we’re allowed to go home. But before that, I secretly investigate at the crime scene.
__________________________________________________________________________

I was standing beside Ayumu, listening to him playing the piano. When he finished playing, he starts to gaze at it. I was about to asks him when the door burst open. Both, Ayumu and I look up to the one who opened it.

“I found you, Mr. Criminal!” Hiyono yelled excitedly and jump beside me. Which made me jumps back.

“Haven’t you heard of due processes? What do you want from me anyway?” Ayumu asks, practically annoyed.

“I was simply curious if your cute little ears had picked up on the rumor yet.” Hiyono happily said.

“What rumor?” Ayumu and I ask at the same time.

“What I mean is…” she says, “The people have a right to know. What did it feel like when you pushed that poor girl?” She exclaimed, raising her microphone.

“Huh?” I stare at her confusedly, thinking if she’s mental or something.

“I already told you, I didn’t do it!” Ayumu answered, still annoyed.

“But, the hallways are littered with whispers saying that freshman Ayumu Narumi is a heartless murderer.” Ayumu replied.

“So, you just automatically believe these rumors?” he asks.

“I couldn’t ignore them.” She says, “The rumors spread like a virus. Someone is getting the word out
on you as fast as they can.”

“Then, let’s find some anti-virus, so we can stop them.” I sarcastically said, “…or him.” I gave Ayumu a look if he gets what I’m saying.

“Sonobe!.” He suddenly said, standing up from his chair. Then two students passed by in the entrance, whispering at each other, loud enough to hear them.

“That’s him! That’s the guy that pushed Sayoko… Talk about creepy-looking.”

“Yeah. And why does Ms. Mai, still hanging out with him?”

I shot a glare at them and they retreated, right away.

“See, you’re the talk of the campus.” Hiyono added.

We walk out of the school’s music room and walking in the halls. The whispers just keep on coming.

“He’s got guilty written all over that ugly face.”

I heard the guy said to his friend. I want to punch that guy off but my conscience telling me not to. Then I heard another one, “I heard there’s still no solid proof he did it.”

Hiyono keeps on interviewing Ayumu w/c makes him even more annoyed. “Tell me, Mr. Criminal, what do you plan to do now?”

“Go to my next class.” Ayumu answered.

“So, you intend to remain the object of the entire campus’ attention?”

“I don’t really mind it.”

“Strange… You don’t seem like the type who relishes that stuff.”

Ayumu stop walking and turns to Hiyono, I also stop and watch them. “Attention is fine. It’s when people follow me around everywhere that I get annoyed.” He said in an annoyed tone. “Find someone else to bother.”

“No!” she shot back. “You’ve barely given me enough for a quarter pages. If I’m bugging you, let me help you find out who really did this crime. Then I’ll have a story worth printing.”
_________________________________________________________________________

Moments later, I was waiting at the fifth floor landing for Ayumu and Hiyono to show up. The hole where the railing broke is covered with barbed wire but it doesn’t seem safe at all.

“Sorry to keep you waiting?” I hear Ayumu said behind me. I turned and smiled.

Hiyono peer over the edge and said, “This is scary… it’s hard to believe anyone could have survived a fall from way up here.”

“Pretty crazy…” Ayumu agreed.

“And she was wearing her glasses?” Hiyono asks.

“Yeah.” I answered.

“I always thought Sayoko hated those things.”

“Hate?” I ask.

“What do you mean?” Ayumu added.

Hiyono get a small notebook out of her pocket, “According to ‘Hiyono’s Data’, she almost never
wears her glasses except for during lectures and driving class.”
I put my hand on my waist and raise a brow. ‘Then, why did she have to wear her glasses? Who did she need to see?’

“And what, pray tell, is “Hiyono’s Data?” Ayumu asks sounds interested.

She raised her pink notebook, “My notebook filled with every bit of info I can squeeze from this school…It’s how I make my way, so everything in it is only for me to know.”

Suddenly, two girls called Hiyono from below. “Hiyono, down here! We’re on our way to lunch! Do
you wanna go?” they shout as they waved.

Hiyono waved back. “Yeah, sure! I’ll catch up with you in a few!” when she realized what she was gripping, she immediately let go and cling to Ayumu. “Still scary!”

It hit me. ‘That must what have happened to Sayoko! As Hiyono’s friend had called up to her, she have moved closer to the railing to see who it was but in Sayoko's case, the railing broke and she fell.’

“That’s it.” I and Ayumu said in unison.

“What?” Hiyono asks confusedly.

“Finally, the notes of truth are starting to play.” Ayumu said.

“Ayumu call Madoka and tell her to check something.” I said.

Ayumu nods and pull out his phone from his pocket and starts to call Madoka.

Ayumu put it in loud speaker. “Great… Make it fast... I’m working.” Madoka answered.

“I need you to check into something for me.” Ayumu said.

“Okay… And that’ll help us figure out the real criminal... I’ll look into it and get back to you in a bit.” After that, she hung up.

“Time to start the play.” I said.

Few moments later, we’re on the school rooftop and standing behind him until Madoka decided to speak up. “Professor Sonobe… Sorry to keep you waiting.”

He spun around and said, “No problem. It’s a nice day. What can I do for you?”

“Detective?” Madoka said, signaling to her partner to speak.

“Right.” Wataya read from his notebook, “We know that someone lured Sayoko up there… We found a letter in her desk promising her some insight into her past if showed at the fifth floor landing at precisely five pm.”

“In other words, this was no suicide and no accident. This was someone’s attempt at murder.”
Madoka added.

“That’s all well and good. But have you figured out who pushed her off?” Sonobe asks calmly.

‘Acting innocent, are we? Don’t worry you will know who, soon enough.’

“You’re standing next to your prime suspect.” He looked straight to Ayumu.

Finally, Ayumu spoke up. “Not anymore, Sonobe… Sayoko wasn’t pushed… She fell.” He said and walks closer to Sonobe.

“You’ve got some strange theories, kid.”

“Because what happened was unique…” I said crossing my arms. Sonobe just glance at me.

“And because every weird occurrence there is something so normal, most people don’t see it. This is the tricked you used.” Ayumu put a pair of sunglasses. “The unseen hands you used to push her off of that landing.”

“Hands? Isn’t he wearing a pair of sunglasses?” Hiyono asks, wondering what he meant.

“I think he’s saying that the glasses are what made her fall.” The detective explained.

“You’re right, Detective.” I said.

“The victim was given a note, telling her to come to the fifth floor landing for answers.” Madoka took
over. “I’m sure she was suspicious of the letter. But curiosity can be more powerful that any emotion.”

I butt in, “She was hoping that someone, anyone would have a light to shine over her clouded past.”

“So she made her way up to that landing… But no one came to meet her. Like anyone, she looked round… It was then that someone far below caught her attention. But Sayoko is a nearsighted… She had to dig out her glasses, the ones she hated, to see who it was that was looking up at her…” Ayumu continued.

“That was your little trick.” I said. “Imagine what would happen if you changed out a nearsighted girl’s glasses with a different prescription.”

“She started to lose her balance. Instinctively, she would grab the nearest thing she could find - the railing – which had been worked on earlier, making it sturdier than a leaf in the breeze. Lucky for her, though, the perpetrator had two very important things go wrong.” Ayumu finishes.

“First,” I said, “there’s the truck. The day she fell it was parked in a place that it usually isn’t. Without the truck there, it’s a five-story drop to the pavement.”

“And secondly…” Ayumu continued. “When the culprit recovered the doctored glasses from the girl, he tried to carefully switch them with her usual pair… But…” Ayumu grabs Sonobe’s wrist and show it to everyone. “He cut his fingers on the shattered glass!”

Hiyono gasped. Madoka then takes over, “The investigators even found shards of glass from the different prescription.”

Ayumu removed his pair of sunglasses, “The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth, Professor…”

“That’s right,” I said, “the person who did this was...”

“You,” Ayumu and I said in chorus.

“I was wrong about him. This Ayumu kid is really something else! Teaming with Miss Mai, they’re amazing!” Hiyono muttered.

Sonobe laughed, “My young friends… the culprit was unlucky in a third way as well. He crossed the path of two heck of detectives…” he put his hand on Ayumu’s shoulder. “Kiyotaka Narumi’s baby brother.”

Ayumu, Madoka and I stared at Sonobe in shocked. 'How does he know him?'

“How do you know Kiyotaka?” Madoka asks. “Who are you really, Sonobe? Why did you try to kill that girl!?”

“The Blade Children…” he said in low voice.

'Say what?'

“Blade Children?” the three of us asks.

Sonobe shoved Madoka aside and started running. “Sonobe!” Madoka yelled.

“Hold it!” The detective known as Wataya took off chasing after him then everyone followed.

By the time we got on the ground floor, we found him lying unconscious.

“What happened to him?” Madoka asks in shocked. “Why did Sonobe- How did…?”

‘What’s going on here? And… and, what are the Blade Children?’ I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's Chapter 1...maybe i can't update this because i'll be very busy 'coz of school...
pls. tell me wat do u think.