Status: Completed! First Criminal Minds story!

Answer Me

Chapter 1

It was three in the afternoon when Spencer Reid stood suddenly from his desk chair and began to walk toward the office of Penelope Garcia. Prentiss and Morgan looked up from their card game but neither questioned him. For a few moments he waited outside the door, contemplating whether or not he really wanted to do this, but knowing that he wouldn't be able to sleep that night if he didn't. So he knocked on door, bracing himself for disappointment.
"Come in!" Was the chipper voice that answered his knocks and Reid entered quietly, closing the door behind him. Turning around to face her visitor, Garcia was surprised to see Reid standing before her.
"Well!" She said, pulling a spare computer chair from under another table and offering him to sit down, "What brings you to my lair, young one?" Reid shifted uncomfortably in his sit.
"I - I was just wondering, I mean, you're the best with computers, and especially finding people so. . "
"While I thank you for reminding me of how awesome I am," Garcia said, "I'm more interested in whom it is you want me to find." She spun away from him and opened an internet browser on one of her many screens, "So tell me, who am I cyber-stalking for you today?"
"I don't really expect you to find him, he seems to be pretty good at hiding, but I would like you to try and find -” He took a deep breath, "Gideon."
Garcia stopped setting up her various search engines to turn back to Reid. She saw his hands seemingly fighting with each other in the boys lap and the desperate look in his eyes, making it impossible for her to tell him no. With a small sigh she swiveled toward the screen and began typing at break-neck speed.
"I can't guarantee we'll find anything, young’un, but I'll try, okay? Now tell me what you want to know about his whereabouts." In truth, when Gideon had first left the BAU Garcia had already tracked him down, but to keep it a secret she started searching again the same things she had before, until she found her previously saved file.
"Just his phone number would be great, please." Reid said from behind her, and she nodded quickly before pulling up the number for him.
"Got it!" She said triumphantly, scooting over to show off her handiwork. Reid pulled himself forward and looked briefly at the screen before pulling out his cellphone and punching it in.
"You're going to call him now? Shouldn't you wait until tonight? What if he doesn't answer? Or what if he does?" Reid held his hand up to quiet her, hearing the dial tone. After four rings, he heard someone on the other end pick up.
"Hello?" Was the quiet but familiar voice on the other end. And in that moment Reid realized he'd made a mistake. He didn't know what on Earth he was going to say to the man, so he just sat there in silence. Garcia sat next to him, bouncing up and down with anticipation, mouthing for him to say something.
"Hello?" Gideon asked again, beginning to get impatient. Garcia, getting impatient herself, took the phone from Spencer's hand,
"Good afternoon sir," She said, in a squeaky voice that didn't sound like hers at all due to the fact that she was holding her nose between her thumb and index finger, "I'm calling from PG's pizza regarding your order, are you Jason Gideon?" The two agents waited for his answer.

On the other end, Jason Gideon was confused. He didn't go by Jason anymore, and he certainly didn't order any pizza. Come to think of it, he hadn't even heard of a pizza place called PG's. Like a light bulb going off inside his mind he knew who was calling him.
"No, Garcia, I didn't order any pizza, but nice try." With that he hung up.

Back in Garcia's office, the analyst closed Reid's phone with a shocked expression on her face. Reid was mentally cursing himself for not saying anything when he'd had the chance. Unlike he'd first thought, calling Gideon hadn't made him feel any better. In fact it had made him feel the exact opposite.
"Crap!" Garcia exclaimed, "I never thought about him going by a different name." They sat in uncomfortable silence for a long time.
"Oh well," Reid said, standing up to leave, "I appreciate you finding him anyway." He kept his face turned away the whole time, but Garcia could hear the upset in his voice.
"Spencer -" She began, but he'd already left.

Later on that night, Spencer sat on his bed, staring at the phone in his hand. 'Should I call him?' he thought. 'What could it hurt, really?' Building up the courage, Reid once again put in the number he'd had Penelope unearth for him earlier. He put the phone to his ear, and prayed for Gideon to answer.
A couple rings sounded, and Spencer almost threw his phone against the wall, because a voice had picked up, but instead of his former father figure answering, a robotic female voice spoke to him instead.
"I'm sorry, but your call cannot be completed as dialed. . ."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please review!!