A Prisoner of Love

1/1

I looked up from the darkness of my cell and saw the light of the stars twinkling at me. I smiled in joy because even though I was locked within these walls, I knew that you were somewhere out there. I knew that you had to survive, I was more than willing to lay my life, my freedom, my everything on the line if it meant that you were somewhere safe. I didn’t care if they kept me here forever as long as I knew you were safe.

My only memories anymore are of your hair, your smile, your eyes, your hands, your face, and how soft your skin was under my fingertips. My only thoughts are questions. Why were we forever prisoners of our love? Why was I never meant to hold you and give you the world and everything you deserved? Why will my actions, according to society, never amount to what a man’s would for you? I ask myself the last one all the time and I still come back with no answer.

But if a country can decide on who lives and who dies by who they love, then how could that country ever achieve peace? I hear the people talk all the time on the subject of peace. It’s funny really, they talk of peace when they’ve done nothing but punish me for one of the main things peace is built off of. Love.

I’m not the only one though. Even though I’ve never seen another soul behind these walls except for the soldiers, I know that there’s more. I hear their screams in the night, I hear them weep and sometimes I even hear them talk. To themselves. I suppose I’d be talking to myself as well if I hadn’t found this pencil and used the toilet paper as parchment.

I guess when the loneliness eats away at you, it takes sanity with it.

I also hear gunshots throughout the day. Multiple gunshots, and then after that, I hear one less voice every night. They take them at random though, I have not recognized a pattern so I do not know if I am next or not, but I decided to record this just in case it ever makes it to you, my dear. I love you, I still love you, and I hope they never catch up with you so you’ll never end up in a place like this. I wish you all the happiness in the world, even if I'm not the one to provide it, and if we never meet again in this life time, then I’ll meet you in heaven.

Love Always,
A Prisoner Of Love