Status: REWRITE. DON'T BE MAD. JUST READ. IT'S BASICALLY THE SAME JUST BETTER.

Somebody That I Used to Know

Lost Highway

Right now. Outside of Atlanta, Georgia


“I can’t believe it’s almost six in the morning.” Andrea whispers into the dark RV. Dale had found the three of us while we trekked back towards the car after discussing our options. We were going to turn around and find some place to stay while we tried contacting family and friends.

But turning around was useless because that’s what everyone planned and things turned messy. Cars kept hitting each other as they tried backing out. Accidents were happening miles up the interstate from people speeding away. Meanwhile, some others were actually trying to drive into Atlanta.

“What are we going to do?” Amy whimpers. She’s been in tears all night and I don’t blame her - this is the most terrifying thing to ever happen in both our lifetimes.

“Amy, please... that’s the fifth time you asked. I don’t know yet.” Andrea sighs and I hear her roll over. They are sharing the table Amy and I sat at last night when Dale invited us for tea. It seemed like that was days ago now...

The front of the RV falls silent again until Dale shuffles from the bedroom and knocks on the wall. “Do you mind if I come in? Can’t sleep much back there.”

“I don’t mind.” I say as I stand up from the foamie mattress that Dale had tucked away for when he used to lend the RV to his friends back in the day. Dale waltzes into the front and walks over to the stove where he puts on the kettle.

“Andrea will you-”

“No, Amy.” Andrea snappishly cuts her off.

In the dim morning light I see Amy pout as she continues asking her question while she stands up. “Will you please come with me to the bathroom?”

Andrea sighs again and gets up as well, stretching along the way. “Fine but only because I’ve been holding it for a couple of hours now.”

“Sorry about the plumbing girls!” Dale calls out to the sisters as they exit the RV.

After a silent minute or two, Dale asks, “Coffee or tea, Daisy?”

“Coffee. In the largest cup you have please.” I reply and shove the foamie away before starting on standing up the breakfast nook table with Dale’s help. In no time we have it setup like it was last night and I take a seat as Dale takes the boiling kettle off of the stove. He hands over the largest cup he has and sets down the French press just as Amy and Andrea climb back inside.

“I have strawberry pop tarts!” Amy states in the happy tone I’m used to hearing from her. She hands one over to me as she and Andrea take a seat. I smile, thanking her.

“I don’t mean to butt in on your plans today girls...” Dale starts as he also sets down half a loaf of bread, peanut butter, jam and a couple of green apples. He settles down in the empty spot besides me and fishes out a map from his pocket as well as a pair of reading glasses from another.

Putting the glasses on, Dale asks, “Amy if you don’t mind opening up that curtain for a bit more light...”

She politely does and Dale unfolds the map. It takes him a minute but he zeros in on our location in Georgia.

“This is where we are right now and there’s a rock quarry just a couple miles back... I mean it’s far enough from the city but still close just in case national security come looking for survivors.”

“What do you mean by survivors?” Andrea inquires, taking a bite of the green apple.

“Survivors... as in - well… us, Andrea.” Dale replies bluntly.

The look on her face says everything and she doesn’t speak after that.

“It... It makes sense.” I say after processing the information. “There is bound to be some sort of government aid looking for us... I mean, they can’t just bomb a freakin’ city and expect there not to be any civilians alive, and in need of help after all that napalm.”

Andrea doesn’t seem convinced but after a minute or two, reluctantly agrees. It’s Amy who doesn’t want to stay.

“I want to go find mom and dad, Andrea.” Amy pipes up.

“And we will, Ames. I promise.” Andrea replies gently. “But I think Dale and Daisy have a point – we should stay close by until the government comes and when they do, the first thing we’ll do is get them to contact mom and dad.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, it's short but I wanted to explain how the girls and Dale found the quarry. I'm not going to be writing about how they met the others because that's a lot of work and that's a LOT of people to introduce in one chapter - and that really irks me as an author when they introduce a fuck ton of characters within a short amount of time.

Also I want the jerk who took my subscriber count from 90 to 89 within the last 24 hours - SHOW YO FACE! OWN UP TO IT! What, don't like my story punk? hUH HUH! I'ma fight you with my katana and zombie pets if you show up again! Just kidding. Someone should fix this and put my count back up to 90 because I'm uneasy about odd numbers.

Most important... YOU. SHOULD. COMMENT. IT'S REALLY EASY. LEAVE ONE WORD. LEAVE A SENTENCE. LEAVE A WHOLE DAMN STORY. I DON'T CARE. JUST PUT SOMETHING DOWN.

or

RECOMMEND IT. SO OTHERS CAN READ IT AND MAYBE THEY'LL BE NICE ENOUGH TO COMMENT.

thnx.