Escape

Tre.

Vanna walked down the hall lazily, painfully, dragging her feet along the muted light grey floor of the hospital. She knew there were wheelchairs at the ready to help people as weak as her, but she was stubborn. She didn’t like help. She didn’t want it. She opened the door to Ms. Hare’s office, not bothering to knock.

“Sup,” she said in a quiet raspy voice as she sat down in the chair.

“I have some exciting news for you, Ms. Oliver. We’ve found you a donor.” Vanna raised her eyebrows for a moment before rubbing her forehead and closing her eyes.

“I don’t want it.” It was sincere. She thought someone else deserved it far more than her.

“You’ve been on the waitlist longer than anyone in this hospital,” Ms. Hare explained. “You’re up next. You’ll be transported tonight to Chicago and will immediately go into surgery.”

“Ms. Hare, you don’t understand. I can’t accept-“

“I’ve known you for months now, Vanna. You deserve it. You’re getting the transplant and you’re going to get better.” Vanna bit her lip and shook her head. “Papers and phone calls are being exchanged as we speak. Pack your things. I’ll come get you when you can leave.”

Vanna could only whisper a thank you as she slowly walked back to her room.

A few minutes later, Gerard walked in.

“Heard you’re leavin’,” he said as he plopped onto her bed. She was stuffing all her clothes in her backpack, not bothering to fold anything.

“How does word get around here so quickly? Shit.” He shrugged and smiled at me.

“It ain’t gonna be the same ‘round here without your sassy ass.”

“It ain’t gon’ be the same without your thick accent and lack of pronunciation.” She stuffed her last t-shirt into her bag and zipped it up, slightly out of breath. She hated how she got tired so fast.

“Am I going to see you again?” He asked hesitantly, hoping to God she’d give a serious answer for once in her life. She sighed.

“I don’t know, Gee. They’re flying me to Chicago tonight, and if I survive the surgery, I don’t know what’ll-”

“You’ll survive,” he interrupted. She was quiet for a minute.

“We will see,” she said at last.

[x]

Gerard held her hand at her side as the paramedic on the other side guided her to the helicopter.

“I’m gonna miss you,” he shouted in her ear above the blaring sound of the wind and helicopter blades. He loved the girl, and the only reason he made progress over the past months in the ward was because of her. She was sarcastic, witty, funny, and independent. She was everything he wished he was. She nodded and pointed at him to say the same thing back. She knew she wouldn’t be able to yell; her lungs were weak.

The small group paused by the door to the helicopter. Gerard hugged her, enveloping her small body in his arms.

“I love you,” he told her, tears in his eyes. She shook her head, fighting back tears of her own. She got on the tips of her toes, using his shoulders for support. She put her hand on his cheek and kissed his other one.

“Do something great and make me proud,” she said in his ear just loud enough for him to hear before the paramedic took her, guiding her into the helicopter.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I haven't touched this story in seven months. Time to wipe the dust off it and pick up again, yeah? Thank you for reading. I'd love to hear your thoughts. x

(I also have other stories that you could check out ok)