Whenever...

First Laugh In Months

I was always the loner when it came to having classes with my Form Class. I didn't bother to try making any new friends. I didn't see the point really. I could survive one or two hours without Stacey. It wasn't really that much of a bigger deal. So whenever I had Maths, science, english or whatever I'd end up sitting by myself in the far corner of the classroom, Which suited me just fine if you ask me. This 'habit' as some would call it contiued for months and months.

One day in maths class, I was working on the task ahead with barely any enthusiamn. Well could you blame me? I mean it was maths! In period 4! who'd be glad to have that?
well so anyway, I was so engrossed with getting the work finished and going home that I actually jumped when Scott came to ask me a question.
"Hey um.... Helen? How did you manage to work out number 4a?" He asked, quite nervously I might add. Well of course He should be nervous. I could stab him with a knife there and then If I felt like it, and believe me... I did.
But no, that was a lie. I could never bring myself to hurt Scott. I'd probaly most likely stab myself in the process! Laughing quietly at the thought, I carefully explained how I worked out the answer. It was pretty simple after all...
I didn't realise how much we were talking until quite a vast shadow loomed over us.
"Uhh... Mr Banes? Why are you not in your seat?" The teacher spat. "I thought I had made it VERY clear that there was to be NO FLIRTING during school hours!"
"I'm not flirting" Scott quickly stammered, "I was just asking Helen a question."
The teacher, seeing my nod of agreement, quickly muttered a single 'hurry up then' before turning his attention to a couple of giggling girls on the other side of the room. Seeing him leave, Scott mimicked what he just said, although in a higher, and even more ridiculous voice than what we'd just heard.
"Shut up!" I warned, trying to muffle my giggles. "Next time you'll probably get a detention, knowing him!"
"Yeah well, It's just good to see you laugh again Helen Naves" He replied, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. "I was beginning to think you'd gotten Bipolar Disorder or something."
"I have NOT caught any sort of disorder thank-you very much!" I retorted in a teasing sort of way. "I've just been... busy, that's all"
"Busy with what exactly" He said slyly before returning to his spot.
Busy trying to get over you I replied quietly. I remained watching the group he had returned to, full of laughter and happiness. I felt a growing sense of lonliness as I thought about the weeks and months ahead.

After that Conversation with Scott, I reaslied I really could not block him out forever. I needed him in more ways than you'd think. Stacey turned out to be Anita which was also one of the main characters which was great cause it meant we could work on lines together. Weeks later, We walked down once again to the notice board to check out the rehearsal times.
"Oh darn" I cursed, analyzing the info. "I knew this would happen"
"What?" Stacey asked.
"I knew that the rehearsals would cut in with my singing lessons."
"why don't you just ask to reschedule your lessons then?"
"That's exactly what I was gunna do." I said "come with me"
We rushed down to the music department, which was not all that far away. But being great athletes as we were (NOT) we skillfully dodged my Vocal teacher coming round the corner with his daily cup of Coffe.
"Whoa!" he called out in surprise "You've gone... even faster than usual! "Been doing lotsa pracitce then?"
"Well yea..." I replied sincerely "You've heard about the musical we're doing this year? west side story?"
"Oh yes of course! and you're Maria. Congratulations.
"Yea well, I was just wondering if i could reschedule my lessons because it kinda cuts in with the rehearsal times."
"Of course, Helen. We'll change you to tuesdays at 10:00am with Scott Banes." He smiled before leaving. Which left me gaping at the horror of sharing singing lessons with Scott. AGAIN.

I turned to Stacey suddenly as we walked into the Auditorium for a quick meeting about the musical. "Why me? seriously?"
"I'd have no idea," she confessed "Looks like love is in the air after all. aye? aye?"
"Shut up!"
we took a seat next to the stage where we listened intently to hear about the musical and what would be required. Last of all.. the characters and who they were played by, were announced, which just confirmed, that Scott was indeed Anthony and there was no mis-print or anything after all.
We were just about to leave as the bell rang when Ms James, the director called me and scott up to the stage for a 'quick word'
"see you after school then" Stacey whispered as she left.
"Hey you two," Ms James began "I was just wondering if you could speak to your vocal teacher about having your lessons together because you guys are going to be the main characters of this musical and you'll need to be singing plenty of songs together and it would be so much more easier if you were learning them together."
It did seem to all fit in I guess. But still, I assured her, "Ms James, There's no need. I just spoke with our teacher half an hour ago and he already said we were going to have our lessons together, because of the rehearsal times."
"Oh well.. thats wonderful then" she replied back, surprised.
"I'll see you two at rehearsal. Now shall I write a note to your next teacher?"
"No that won't be neccesary. but thanks" Scott replied.
"Yeah Thanks Ms James. Cya" I called as we walked out the door.

"West Side Story is a really well known musical" Scott said causually. "It's gunna have to be real good if we want to make a name of ourelves."
"Yea I know aye" I replied as the reality of it all started to sink in.
"Brace yourself" He said grimly "We have a hell lot of busy months ahead of us"
"Yea... I guess we do"