Whenever...

Like old times

Today, sitting next to Stacey in assembly, I gasped in horror as we were told about the old school hall being knocked down. We were still discussing how unfair it all was as we walked to music together.
"I can't believe they're actually doing this! I mean what has that building done to any of them? Honestly?!?" Stacey asked, exasperated
"I'd say!!" I agreed. "It's not as if it's a hazard to anything, I just don't get why they would want to go out of their way and spend money on destroying the one historic feature we have in our school!!"
Stacey slowed down to think abut it
"I know!!" she cried suddenly. "They're mad, that's why."
We both burst in fits of giggles which immediately evaporated into thin air as Mrs Kyle walked in.

"Right class!" she called. "Today we will be continuing on our compositions." She said, looking at all of us. "I expect you to be responsible whilst working on the computers next door and remember, to acheive with excellence, you must present the score AND the recording."

I sighed. I should have known better than to expect being let of lightly in this class. I barely talked to anyone after that, because I was so intent on finishing my song so I could go to my singing lesson, guilt-free.
I was halfly successful. Something to celebrate, I hope.
By the time I had finished the score of my song, I was already five minutes late for my lesson. I quickly excused myself and sprinted as fast as I could, even though it was just next door. I was panting and slowly calmed myself down only to find Scott playing the piano as I walked in.
"Hi" He smiled as I dumped my bag on the ground, next to his.
"Hey" I gasped back, "where's our lovely tutor then?"
"I actually don't know," he mumbled, confused "I just came in here, I've been here for ages, well it feels like ages anyway"
"well, shall we start without him then? I really need to practice "Tonight" Because all I've been doing are lines this week and yeah."
"Yeah sure, ok," he replied "let's just warm up first"

So we warmed up. It wasn't weird or anything because we'd done it so many times before, after about 15 mins, we figured we might as well put it all together so we set off into the auditorium to practice our choeographed moves as well. They were actually quite hard to begin with but eventually we got the hang of it.
I mean, walking forwards and backwards, connecting with the audience and each other at the same time... not exactly the easiest thing to do.
Our singing lesson became a theatre practice session. Drama, dance, Music combined. I was amazed. And I loved doing all three at the same time, it always gave me that un-explainable thrill.
We practiced the dancing the most, forwards, backwards, sidestep, turning around, pivoting until we were exhausted. At last, we collapsed in a heap, giggling at our mistakes.

"You know, you really do have a beautiful voice, Helen." Scott smiled shyly, stepping down from the set.
"Hey, that's not part of the lines" I pointed out, following him.
"I know, but I mean it." He whispered.
And then he moved closer and closer, I could tell he was about to kiss me, It was just one of those things I'd picked up ages ago. I could feel his breath against my forehead and As his cheeks brushed against mine, I forgot about everything else. I stopped thinking, all I could feel where his hands enclosed around mine. And his lips...... closer and closer.....

"There you are!!" Our singing teacher exclaimed. "I've been looking everywhere for you!"
Naturally, as soon as we heard that voice, we jumped a mile away from each other.
"Oh Really?" I asked. "Because we waited for a while in your practice room and you never came so we decided to practice our dancing as well"
"Oh yes, I do apologise for bieng late, but next time, leave a note would you?"
"Yeah we will, sorry about that" Scott replied sheepishly
"Well, let's see how this musical is coming along then." The wise tutor announced.

And so we showed him, we ran through the whole of 'Tonight' which, thank-fully, after all that practice, became a piece of cake. And the teacher, along with Stacey who came looking for us, clapped furiously at the end.
"This show is going to be amazing if you keep that up" he said "I'm so proud of you two."
We just stood there, looking embarrassed.
"Well don't just STAND there!" stacey laughed. "You need to practice bowing too!!"
Scott twirled me around and 'dipped me' just like we'd been taught. And I didn't cling on for dear life either, I trusted him not to let me fall, I really did. even though I was sort of hanging off the stage in his arms...

Trust... I wonder if he knows just how important it really is.

We spent the rest of interval and lunch together, discussing the removal of our school hall factor. Surprisingly, Scott agreed with me and Stace, against the whole bulldozing thing.

"I mean" he began, "The building itself is part of us now, it deserves the right to stay, why can't they see that?"

"because they're mad!" Stacey said again. "Absolutely Freaking Mad"
And we all laughed again, Just like old times.