Whenever...

The 'new girl'

Wednesday Morning: No rehearsal.
I was almost weak with relief, after all those weeks of hard work, it felt so good to have a break every now and then. I was just finishing up breakfast when Stacey came, funny how she always has the perfect timing.
We walked to school chatting happily about the massive improvements the cast were making in such short time. After all, "West Side Story" was all anyone could talk about these days.
"I just can't wait till the show!!" Stacey gushed, prancing around the footpath. "I can't believe we only have three weeks!."
"I know I know!!" I giggled with her "It's going to be so much fun! and you KNOW Ms James throws the best parties for the Cast & Crew afterwards"
Which was very true indeed, Ms James' parties were always fun, not like those awkward gatherings you usually get with other directors. Unlike most of them, Ms James had style. And It was just at one of those parties where I met Scott for the first time. He was part of the crew, me, the orchestra. I would never forget that night...
"It's sad how some of the cast are leaving though" Stacey said, breaking throught my thoughts.
"Like who?" I asked.
That was when I saw something I'd never seen before. Ever.
I saw Stacey attempting to hide something from me.
"Oh" she replied gloomily "just no one"
I decided not to press her for further details. We were Best friends, after all, Surely she would tell me when she was ready.

"So what do you have first?" I asked, changing the subject.
"English, You?"
"History" I replied, "What a bore"
I laughed, making Stacey giggle nervously. What was wrong with her?
"Well I better go now, I have to quickly finish up an assignment due today." she added in a rush. "See you"
"Bye?" I watched her dart into the crowd, What did I do to upset her like that? Stacey was never like this..

"Hi Helen!" Scott's cheery greeting eliminated all negative thoughts I once had.
"Hiya!" I called after him.
"Had a nice sleep in this morning I take it?" He teased,
How did he know? I wondered, because if you think about it, It WAS highly coinincidental, not having the nightmare last night, and now him asking me about it? Could he have something to do with it after all?
"Uh yeah, Great sleep, Thanks" I answered at last.
He laughed, making that funny twinkling sound when he's happy.
How I missed that laugh!
"Come on, we better go" he said, checking his watch "We'll be late for history"
"um, ok then" I mumbled, oblivious to the fact that we passed an entirely new girl I'd never seen before. Oblivious to the face that she was glaring straight at me, watching my every move....

We quietend down as the teacher walked into the room.
"Right class" she announced. "today we have a new student"
Every stared as she strutted into the room.
"Everyone, This is Rebecca"
Silence filled the room, then slowly we chorused "Hi Rebecca" like a bunch of amatures.
"Well?" She snapped back, Rudely. "Can I sit down already?"
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed, I thought
The teacher hastily ushered her into the seat behind us.
This was going to be realy fun. Studying different methods of uncovering bones with a new student glowering at your back for no reason whatsoever. And It wasn't just mean imagining it either, Scott totally admitted to me that he felt uneasy as well.
Brilliant.
Wonderful.
Perfect.

Tutortime was even better as that cow slithered in between me and Scott. Okay, I know cows don't slither, but what was I supposed to say? I mean the word "Snake" could hardly be menacing enough to describe her. Eveh though she did act like one.
I found it really hard to be irritated at her, let alone try and be nice friends. I mean, could you blame me? well you probably could.
But I kept quiet while she joked and laughed with Scott.
All Day.
It was quite sickening to be honest.

"I can't believe Scott is actually sucking up to her." Stacey whispered, sneaking up behind me, "she's such a bitch"
"Whoa" I said, looking alarmed, and I had a good reason too. Stacey never swore. "are you ok?"
"Oh don't look at me like i'm some kind of a 'goody good two shoes'" She laughed "You've seen what I can do"
The truth was, I had, Stacey could be a real pain in the ass is need be.
"Any way I heard what happened in History"
"Huh?" I asked, not taking my eyes off Rebecca and Scott, "What happened in history?"
"Oh you are such a noob" Stacey said, moving to block them from my sight. "You really need to get over him, He's changed"

I thought the afternoon rehearsal might mean some along time with Scott, to talk about my worries, since we were both doing so well in the musical but I was wrong.
Rebecca had somehow managed to take over the part of poor Linda who'd broken her leg. I made a mental note to ask her to get well soon, later.
Yeah, It was merely a maid part and she only had a couple of scenes, but it was enough. Enough to be so much closer to Scott, all the time.
However, we did get a little spark flying every now and then as we practiced another well known favourite: "Maria"
Such a shame rehearsal had to be ruined by that seething little slug.
I mean she had the nerve to 'talk' to me at break time!

"Hey... Helen is it?" She spoke ever so sickening sweetly, "May we talk please?"
"Sure" I replied back, equally polite. Two could play at this game...
"I know that you and Scott were very nice friends" She said slyly
We were more than that and we still are!! I wanted to scream at her..
"Well, I just want you to know..." she continued, dropping her voice low so no one else could hear, "That he's mine now, so back off!"
And then she strutted back to battering her pathetic little lashes, It took self control, Alot of it I tell you, to stop myself from slapping her across the face. The little slut.
Stacey, seeing the reaction on my face after our little 'talk' rushed to my side instantly.
"What did she do?" She asked, concerned.
"Oh my god I cannot believe her!" I screamed, but quietly enough so no one else could hear.
Then I told her everything.
"She's that bad huh?"
"Damn right she is"
And Stacey was right... It WAS time I'd moved on, because well, Scott? he didn't used to just ignore me for another girl, even if we were just friends. He'd changed.
And the worst thing was that he'd done it right in front of me, in the time span of barely a day.