My Heart Can't Tell You No

Prologue

This was wrong and I knew it. I knew he had feelings for me and if I did this, if I agreed to this, I would end up hurting him, breaking his heart into a million pieces no matter what he said. I didn’t have feelings for him. Not romantic feelings anyway. He was one of my best and closest friends and I loved him, but he knew I was in love with his best friend. And that’s why this would never work. Because no matter how tempting Kendall Schmidt was, my heart would always belong to another, and I didn’t want to do this and be the reason they couldn’t even be friends anymore.

But then I made the mistake of looking into those beautiful big green eyes that were awaiting my next move, and I knew that I wanted him. I didn’t want to be anything more than friends with Kendall, but I couldn’t deny this deep lustful longing…

And anyway, what would this hurt? Okay, it would hurt quite a lot. For one thing, as aforementioned, this could completely ruin Kendall’s relationship with his best friend, and no way would I be the cause of that… Then again, said best friend was acting like I didn’t even exist at the moment. And Kendall…Kendall was definitely aware of me. He was here. He would be here whenever I needed him. Why was my brain making this so difficult? Call me selfish, but I wanted to have fun; it was always fun to make someone jealous with their best friend. Plus, I was so, so lonely; I just wanted to be in someone’s arms again, and here was one of my best friends, offering me this, no strings attached (on my part anyway. I had no idea what was really going on with him though…).

I looked at him again. I looked him over, those muscular arms, that cute stitched up heart tattoo on his shoulder, that short blonde hair that was just inviting me to run my fingers through it, that eyebrow cocked sexily, waiting for me, over those big green eyes…

Friends with benefits. I'd done that before; I didn't make it a frequent thing, but I'd had a few exceptions. Did I want Kendall to be an exception? Yes. But the situation was totally reversed here. He wasn't emotionally detached like you're supposed to be, like I was. He actually had feelings for me, and I knew based on that fact alone agreeing to his proposal was a terrible idea.

I drew in a breath and let it out in a groan.

“What?” Kendall asked, single eyebrow still raised.

I didn’t reply. I couldn’t. He had to realize he was affecting me like this.

I did the only thing I could do. I strode up to him, closed the space between us, and kissed those full lips. I could tell he was shocked at first, but it took him less than two seconds to respond, hungrily kissing me back and slowly wrapping his arms around my waist.

I had no idea what I was doing. I knew two things: one that I liked this a lot, but two that I would not under any circumstances let myself get emotionally attached to what I physically felt for Kendall…