Sunset

The Beginning of Time

The earth is alive. From the Gods came a world of beauty. From the Gods came a world of life. In the crystal blue seas, at the farthest reaches of this magnificent earth, sat five islands. Small gatherings of civilization lived here. They all lived in harmony. Democracy stemmed from their relationships and they were all united. Wooden bridges connected these islands, allowing communication and an enriched society.

After witnessing the close relations of their people, the Gods decide it was fit to allow their children to live among their mortal inferiors, for education and well-being. The children were welcomed with open arms. But hostility lingered in the folds of this society. The children of the Gods were split, and were put into small groups which were then distributed across the islands. Words were thrown at one another in the villages, some of great joy and others of pure distaste of the children's presence.
"They are blessings of the Gods!"
"They are fools, consumed by superiority. They must be disposed of immediately!"

One night, chaos spread like disease across the islands. The huts of the children of the Gods were torched, sending flames and thick black smoke snaking into the cloudless night sky. Like a chain reaction, each hut perished on the islands. One by precious one. People chanted on the beaches, some begging for forgiveness while others screamed with happiness at the murders that took place.

Furious and devastated, the Gods fought back, grief-stricken and more powerful than anyone ever anticipated. The night grew restless, the sea whipped violently at the islands, heavy rain encasing the flames until small wafts or smoke were snatched by the gale-force winds. The bridges were completely destroyed, and all that was left was isolation and terror. People were killed by the God's rage. But death wouldn't solve their grief.

As punishment, every year, on the day that the children were murdered, each island must vote for two people, both between the age of 14-18 to compete in a hunt for objects in the ocean that were set by the Gods. They were given 24 hours to search. It began at sunset, and it ended at sunset. The pair who had collected the most or even all of their assigned objects, won a years blessing from the Gods, and were rewarded greatly for their respect towards them. The others were sentenced to a public execution on the winning island, as part of a threat of the Gods strength and rage.

From the carnage rose the Sunset Challenges.
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter, I really hope you like it! Please comment and subscribe!