Sunset

One

The gentle fall of the waves at my feet is the only sense of reality. The warm strokes of the sun on my skin is my only sense of security. The feel of the stones and golden sand beneath my bare-feet are my only sense that I am safe. For another year that is. I stood on the beach, staring out across the stretch of ocean. The sun hung carelessly into sky, slowly sliding down the wall of sky that seemed to span the blanket of rippling blue. It was almost sunset. The whole island gathered to witness the beginning of the challenges. It was the same thing every year. We stand on the beach, wait for the sun to touch the ocean, the Gods speak from the sky, the thunder claps but there is not a single cloud in the sky. We wait for 24 hours until the sun touches the ocean again and the thunder claps again to signify the challenges end.

My name is Lya, and I am 17 years old. I am a vulnerable victim to the Challenges. Right now, my neighbors daughter, Keeza who is 15, and the fisherman's son, Nonni who is 16, wait at the edge of the jetty on the other side of the beach. Their parents stood with them. I could see the fear, the way they shifted back and forth on their feet with anxiety, the way they nervously rubbed their hands together as they awaited the pressure ahead.

These challenges were dangerous.I mean very dangerous. Murder isn't permitted during the challenges, only after the challenges are over blood is allowed to be spilled. The Gods deemed it humane and fair, for people to fight for their islands. To earn our lives back after our predecessors took the Gods children's away. It is the harsh strength of nature that is the danger. Last year a boy from the Third Island was eaten by sharks. The year before a girl from our island, the Second Island, was thrown against the jagged rocks by an underwater current. The boy who represented our Island fought hard to win, both for us and for the girl. But the First Island won, and the others perished to the Gods.

I found it cruel yet intriguing. You'd think that after 2 or 3 times the Gods would forgive us. You'd think enough blood would have been spilt to ease their grief. But now it seems they just keep it around for their own entertainment. It was nearly sunset, and the uncertain stir of muttering and whimpers echoed from the Islands. Then the unnerving silence drifted along. Ghostly and frightening. All eyes were on the horizon. Seconds seemed like hours. I couldn't help but stare at the jetty and watch the contestants as they stare at the sky, waiting for the Gods.

The sky, once aflame with orange and red, melted away into a pale haze of purple. Sunset had begun. Suddenly, the gentle breeze that swayed the palm trees grew into a stronger, more fierce wind. The Gods were coming. Everything went still for a moment. Silence lingered some more, then it was torn away by a guttural voice.

Citizens of the Islands, welcome to the 200th Sunset Challenge. Thank you for your tributes. The objects have been stowed away beneath these dark depths. As the sun sinks into the ocean, let its light guide these children to their objects, and may your luck be strong. Angha, malakika, borna.

The words still echoed through my head when the deafening clap of thunder ripped through the evening air.

The 200th Sunset Challenge has begun.