Status: one and done :)

A New Beginning in an Old Place

one/one

As I drove down the all so familiar dirt road, I imagined what my life would entail. Considering my husband has just died, I just got the results of a positive pregnancy test, and I had the mob looking for payment on my husband’s debts; my life wasn’t really all that good. It was about just as good as the day I drove the opposite way, out of this town.
I passed the county court house, saw the sheriff’s old cruiser in front, Marty, the big police dog that has been in charge since I was born, next to a sleeping Sheriff Ernie in his rocking chair, just basking in the Georgia summer heat.
I continued down the road and saw that the Robin’s still owned the little thrift store on the corner, my parents with the little diner just next to it, and Warner’s hardware. I knew Mom and Pop would be in the kitchen, baking in the way-too-hot kitchen, but sucking it up for the little money the diner made per year. They did it for everyone else in town that needed a constant in their life, not the money.
“Look who made it back to the grove,” little Bobby Robin, yes they actually did that to him, announced as I strolled into the diner. Bobby was only a year younger than me, but he was always little Bobby.
“Hey, Bobby,” I said weakly. “How’s your dad? I heard he was in the hospital not long ago.”
“Much better, glad to know you check in on us,” he smiled and left his tip on the counter before kissing my cheek to go back to the thrift store to reopen.
Mom chose that moment to come out from kitchen. She had to look twice before she actually realized I was sitting on the stool in front of her. “Thank the lord; my baby girl’s finally come home. We didn’t know what you’d be doing now without Ryan. I’m so glad you’re here, baby.”
“Me too, Momma, do you need help?” I asked knowing she wouldn’t.
“I’ve got it, sweetie. Why don’t you go tell Daddy what you want for lunch,” she suggested as she picked the tray back up and went to deliver to all the regulars who flirted with her, even as they all got older.
“Hey, Daddy,” he turned and smiled before giving me a big hug.
“Halle, we’ve missed you around here,” he said planting his famous sloppy kiss on my cheek.
“I’ve missed you too.”
“Your Momma and I are sorry we couldn’t make it up for the funeral. But you know that in order for us to make any money, we’ve got to be open 364 days a year.”
“I know, Daddy. I just wish I could’ve come here sooner. I’ve been so lost without Ryan. I didn’t know what to do with myself.”
“How long are you in town for, darling?” Momma asked entering the kitchen.
“Well, I actually sold the condo in Atlanta and got the Johnson’s old apartment. I’ll be here for a while.”
“Oh, baby, that’s great!” Momma cooed and kissed my cheeks as Daddy slapped another order on a plate.
“Speaking of baby, I’m pregnant,” I said with tears in my eyes, remembering my late husband.
“That’s a good thing, something to remember Ryan by, isn’t it, sweetie?” Momma asked. I nodded and Daddy wrapped me in a hug.
“Go on out in the diner and I’ll cook you up something delicious, I promise,” Daddy said and kissed my forehead. I went back to my stool where everyone came and welcomed me back to town, said their condolences, and Daddy brought me my food personally. “You know, Toby’s been asking about you.”
“Has he?” I replied nonchalantly.
“Yep,” he popped the ‘p’. “Speak of the devil,” I turned to see Toby there.
“How are you?”
“Fine, yourself?”
“Been better, you in town for a while?” when I nodded, he smiled. He got his order from Mom and sat next to me.
“You marry that Liza girl?”
“Nah, but you married your marine, huh?”
“Sure did.”
“I’m sorry, I heard he died overseas.”
“Mmh,” I quickly responded.
“How long’s it been?”
“Six weeks and four days,” I didn’t even have to think about it.
“That’s unfortunate. It’s been great seeing you, Hal. Maybe if you have some time you’ll come out to the farm and see old Babe. She hasn’t been ridden since you left you know.”
“My horse hasn’t been ridden? I thought I told you to get her to exercise!”
“She does, just not through ridding.”
“Maybe I will than. I’ve missed her.”
“We’ve missed you too, Hal. Come by any time.” He smirked and tipped his hat in my direction before heading out.

“Came by to check on the horse?” he asked the next day when I arrived at the farm.
“You could say that.”
“Or to see me?”
“A little of both, I’ve really missed you. Especially after I got the news, you were the first one I wanted to call.”
“Why didn’t you?”
“I wanted to talk in person.”
“About what?” he questioned.
“That time you came to visit, right after Ryan got shipped out.”
He considered it for a minute, than his mouth formed an O. “What about it?”
“I’m having your baby, Toby.”
“You’re sure?”
“Ryan has been at basic for six weeks, was home for a day and a half before shipping out. We didn’t even have time to try and fool around. So yeah, I’m sure.”
“Well, this will be different.”
“What do you mean, different?”
“As in a new beginning, babe, you see, the notion running through the locals minds is that you have to be married to have a baby. We shouldn’t be the ones breaking that, should we?”
“Everyone thinks its Ryan’s.”
“We’ll just have to straighten things out,” he smirked and leaned in to kiss me. I just kissed back and looked forward to my new future.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, my original storyline was much longer, but the contest only called for 1,000 words, so the unnecessary things got cut. hope you all like it!!!