Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Deceiving a Prince

Rilan laughed. He hovered high above Frieza's ship, his arms folded, and a confident smirk across his face. Behind him, Leir and Nicron remained in confused silence. They still didn't know why their leader had stopped them short of actually going to get Frieza and staying to watch the fight. It was amazing how much Vegeta and Katima had improved. He now knew the secret. Every defeat made a Saiyan stronger. It wasn't something Rilan himself could learn, but at least he now understood.

"My brothers," he said, looking back at them, "Today is the day."

"What?" asked Leir, "Captain what are you talking about?"

Rilan chuckled, looking back at the ship, "Don't you see? They're healing that Saiyan, Goku. When he's recovered, he'll be ever stronger than he was before. If we combine our strength with his, Vegeta, Katima, and the two little ones, we have a chance to defeat Frieza, perhaps the best chance that we'll ever get!"

Leir and Nicron were quiet for a long moment.

"But, they killed our brothers," said Nicron.

Rilan turned to face them, "I understand your loss. But your brothers are now free of Frieza's wrath. The only reason they died is because of Frieza. We will avenge them accordingly. Understood?"

"Yes, sir," said Leir, "But do you really think that they're going to let us just join?"

"No," said Rilan, looking back down to the ship, "We will wait until Frieza arrives, and attack him with them. That way they understand that we are allies. With Frieza being so strong, they will have no choice but to let us help."

His last two men seemed to agree with him, and they turned to look down at the ship. They landed on a cliff a ways away and settled in to wait.

Vegeta returned to the room alone, striding in and checking on Goku's vitals.

"Where's the boys?" asked Katima, who was sitting on the ground, leaning against Goku's pod.

"The bald one went to find that Namekian that unlocked your powers. And Kakarot's son is outside guarding the Dragon Balls."

"Alone?" asked Katima, looking up at him.

Vegeta walked toward a table that had several pill bottles and instruments on it, and reached for what resembled a timer, but he sort of collapsed onto the table.

"Vegeta?" Katima jumped to her feet and went to him.

"I think I over did it," he rasped, "I just need rest," he shook himself and stood up and stumbled over to Goku's chamber, "I'm setting this timer for a half hour, but wake me if Frieza gets here."

"Sure," said Katima as he sat on the ground and leaned against Goku's pod and closed his eyes.

It didn't take him long to fall asleep. She sat down across from him, her legs crisscrossed, and elbows on her knees to support her head while she watched him slumber.

Sleeping, Vegeta seemed so vulnerable. His muscles, usually so tense and ready for battle, relaxed and limp. His deep breathing was soothing, and Katima was almost temped to take a nap with him. But a part of her really didn't want to miss this. It seemed like it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, to watch the great Vegeta sleep. However, Katima felt that Gohan guarding the Dragon Balls on his own was a problem. She stood and quietly left the room, glancing back once to make sure Vegeta didn't wake up.

Outside, Gohan was sitting on one of the Dragon Balls, staring up at the sky with a bored look on his face.

"Hey, little man," Katima greeted, sitting down beside him on another ball.

"Where's Vegeta?" asked Gohan.

"Sleeping," said Katima, glancing back at the ship, "The fight wore him out, he over did it."

"Huh," Gohan shrugged, "Well, Krillin went to find Guru to get the password."

"Isn't Frieza going there too?" asked Katima.

"Yeah, but we can't just sit around and do nothing," said Gohan, "If we just let Frieza win then we're all dead… I hope my dad gets better quick."

"It seems that we tend to wait for your dad to come and save the day a lot," said Katima, frowning, "If we ever get out of this, I want to train with him so that maybe I could save the world once in a while."

Gohan laughed, "Yeah, I know what you mean… hey, look!"

Gohan pointed up to the sky and Katima followed his gesture to see two figures heading for them. Katima hopped up and narrowed her eyes then beamed as Krillin landed beside them, Dende at his side.

"That was fast," said Katima.

"Dende met me half way," said Krillin, sporting his new armor, "Guru knew we didn't have the Dragon Balls' password, and sent Dende. Come on let's summon the dragon!"

"I'll go get Vegeta," said Gohan, standing up.

"Are you insane?" hissed Krillin, "We can't let him know we're getting the dragon! He'll try to steal our wish!"

Katima glanced around, "Tell you what," she said, "Take the Dragon Balls over there to do it," she pointed to a island in the distance, "I'll stay with Vegeta. If he wakes up I'll try to stall him."

"Okay," said Krillin, "Sounds good."

Katima hopped back into the ship and went to the medical bay, tip-toeing in to see Vegeta still snoozing. She sat down in front of him and resumed her watching, elbows propped on knees, face in hands. She turned once to see Gohan in the window. She gave him a thumbs up and he nodded before disappearing. Katima looked back at Vegeta, watching him slumber. It was strange having the bond so quiet between them. She was used to being bombarded with his emotions. Right now, she actually had a chance to reflect herself and the thoughts of what had happened the past week.

It seemed like so much in so little time, and she hadn't slept hardly at all. Of course she never really had to sleep that much in the first place, but she too was tired. Katima scooted over to sit beside Vegeta and lean against the pod with him, staring at his face as she sat back. It was weird seeing his features so calm.

She rested her eyes for a moment, her leg lightly touching his lightly so that if he moved she would feel it. Katima was truly tired after such an intense adventure… and to think that the finally was just about to begin. Fighting Frieza was going to be the biggest battle of Katima's life. But with Goku on their side, she had a feeling that they just may be able to do it.

Soon, Katima was dreaming.

There was a room, a round room that was all white, domed ceiling stretching above her. Somewhere in here, Katima could feel Vegeta's presence. She found herself searching for it, walking aimlessly through the whiteness. She was confused, there was nothing that the prince could hide behind- so why couldn't she see him?

A hand fell onto her shoulder, and Katima whirled around to see Vegeta smiling at her. But it was not his normal smirk of superiority. It was like he was glad to see her, glad to have found her.

"Vegeta?" Katima asked, her voice echoing around the room ominously.

Katima jolted awake at a voice.

"What are you doing?"

Katima rolled over and looked up at Vegeta. She had fallen onto his lap and he was looking down at her in mild disgust. She blushed and scrambled away.

"S-sorry," she muttered, rubbing the back of her neck.

How could she have fallen asleep?

Vegeta stood and brushed himself off, shot her a glare and began to head for the door.

"W-wait!" Katima jumped to her feet and ran to grab his arm, "Are you feeling better?"

Vegeta ripped his arm from her grip, "Why are you so concerned?" he spat, "I'm fine. All I needed was rest."

He turned and went through the door, but suddenly paused.

"What is that?" he asked softly.

Katima could feel it too- power, strong and potent, and it was close.

"No!" Vegeta clenched his fists, "Frieza wasn't supposed to be back so soon! Kakarot isn't ready! I'm not ready!"

He ran out into the corridor, and Katima followed him, "Vegeta, wait!" she called, but he ignored her.

He was running for the control room where he could jump out the open hole he had made, but he stopped abruptly when he went past a window, making Katima slam into his back. He instinctively reached back and caught her by the arm, but he didn't pull her upright, too shocked by looking out of the window.

"It's dark," he said, eyes wide, "But- did I really sleep so long? No… Namek doesn't have nightfall… the horizon is still light too… I- NO!" he dropped Katima, who yelped in surprise as she crashed into the ground.

Vegeta was running again, rage pulsating in the bond. Katima jumped up and gave chase. By the time she caught up to him, they were outside, and he was frozen to the spot again, staring out to the horizon, where a massive shape was bloomed into the sky.

It was the Dragon. It was huge green Dragon, piercing into the sky with thick monstrous arms lolling down, the lower half of its body like a snake, twirling down to a bright light.

"Wh-what the hell IS that?" breathed Vegeta, "Th-the Dragon!"

"Vegeta no!" Katima jumped forward and tackled him to the ground, where they rolled for a moment but Katima ultimately pinned him down.

"You all planned this!" he shouted, "No! I WILL GET MY WISH!"

With incredible strength, he shoved Katima off of him and took off into the air, hurtling toward the Dragon. Katima rolled to her feet and chased him, screaming Vegeta's name. He paid her no mind, his eyes latched onto his goal, determined to reach it.

Up close, the Dragon seemed even more massive, towering up into the sky, his red eyes glaring down at the three small figures that were Krillin, Gohan, and Dende. Vegeta landed, skidding to a halt mere feet away from them, and they all turned and yelped at his arrival. Katima landed beside him and grabbed his arm, "Vegeta, stop it-" she began but he blasted her off of him with a powerful energy orb, which plowed her into the ground.

She groaned and propped herself up to watch Vegeta stalk toward her friends.

"So!" Vegeta shouted, "You think that you could make the wish without me? Well guess again! How dare you try to keep me from my destiny!"

"We've already used the wish, Vegeta," spat Krillin, "We brought Piccolo back to life and now he's here on Namek!"

Vegeta let out a roar of anger, "Well then, I guess you'll all just have to die! No Kakarot to save you this time!"

"No, Vegeta!" cried Gohan when Vegeta raised his hand to blast Krillin, "We still have one more wish! This Dragon grants three!"

"Three?" Vegeta relaxed a bit, "Well, I suppose you lucked out. Dragon!" he looked up, "I wish to be immortal!"

"It doesn't work like that," said Gohan, "You have to make the wish in the Namekian language."

"Ah, I see," said Vegeta, striding past them and grabbing Dende by the front of his shirt and lifting him up, "Well? Go on, make me immortal!"

"Vegeta stop!" Katima jumped up.

"Either this little brat makes my wish, or he won't make anyone's wish!" Vegeta exclaimed.

Krillin was gritting his teeth and finally, he seemed to relax, his shoulders slumping, "Dende…" he said, "Just do what Vegeta says."

Gohan and Katima looked at Krillin with wide eyes. Was he serious? Having Vegeta immortal didn't seem much better than if Frieza made his wish. But Katima could see reasoning behind this. She could feel Frieza's power level heading for them. He must have figured out that they had summoned the Dragon.

Vegeta dropped Dende and the little Namekian glared at him for a moment before turning and looking up at the mighty apparition before him, and lifted his little hands and began to speak in a strange language. His voice seemed to grow in excitement, and the last word, Katima understood, "Vegeta!"

Vegeta held up his fists, awaiting to accept his new immortality, a wide grin of victory across his face, but something happened.

It was the Dragon. He was shaking, and the glowing red light from his eyes suddenly went black, and smoke began to smolder from its body. There was a blinding flash of light, and Katima blocked her eyes until it faded. She looked back and saw that the Dragon was gone, and that there were seven glowing orbs up in the sky where it had been. The light around the orbs flickered, and then, one by one, seven perfectly round Dragon Ball sized stones fell to the ground looking like nothing but ordinary rocks.

"What happened?" Vegeta demanded, "Am I immortal? I don't feel any different!"

Katima slowly went to his side as Dende crouched down, shaking. Gohan went to the Namekian child, placing a hand on his back.

"What happened, Dende? Why are you crying?" asked Gohan.

"It's Guru," sobbed Dende, looking up at the boy, "He's gone. He's dead!"

"So?" Vegeta snapped, "What does that have to do with anything? Did my wish come true or not?"

"No," said Dende, looking back at him, "When Guru dies, so does the Dragon and the Dragon Balls. The third wish was never granted."

"WHAT?" screamed Vegeta, new anger pouring through him, "Are you kidding me? The Dragon Balls just disappear when a stupid Namekian dies? What kind of bullshit is that?"

The sky had returned to normal and Katima stared at the stones that used to be the Dragon Balls in mild aw. She wasn't sure if this was good or not. One, Frieza wouldn't get to make his wish, two, neither would Vegeta. But three, Frieza was on his way here, and four, they were most likely very, very dead.

"Where's Piccolo?" Katima asked, looking at Krillin.

"Er," said Krillin, "Well, I suppose we weren't specific enough, he's on the planet, we just don't know where."

Vegeta was still fuming. He let out a cry of anger and whirled to face Krillin, "I'm going to kill you!" he shouted, taking a threatening step forward, "You just cost me my wish!"

"Vegeta!" Katima rushed to him and placed a hand on his shoulder, "Enough! It's too late, there's no point in killing anyone. We have to be ready!"

Vegeta was still shaking in rage, but slowly, he began to relax, "Ugh!" he snapped, smacking her hand off of his shoulder, "I guess we're back to relying on Kakarot. Now we should get back to the ship before- before…." he began to tremble again, but not out of anger this time. He was looking at something over Katima's shoulder, and she felt her spine prickle at the look of terror that swept across Vegeta's face.

Slowly, she turned, knowing who it would be sitting atop the cliff behind her.

Frieza.

He stood, glaring down at them, his face twisted in rage, his small body tensed. His long, snake like tail lashed, and he clenched his fists.

"You…" he snarled in that incredibly feminine voice, "You stole my wish! You are all going to DIE!"

And as Katima stared up at the furious alien, she had a feeling that death was exactly what was about to happen to all of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: In The End by Linkin Park