Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Returning Home

Rilan groaned, pain slowly returning to his body. What was this? He had been positive that he had been in other world, or at least heading there. He coughed, lungs coming to life, and opened his eyes to look up at the red sky. Maybe this was hell. He had been a ruthless jerk most of his life, it wouldn't surprise him. But as he sat up, he recognized Namek's landscape. It appeared that the entire planet was falling apart, the ground shaking and breaking. He shakily stood, looking down at his healed body with mild aw. How was he alive? Hadn't he died? Hadn't Frieza killed him?

"Captain?"

Rilan turned and gasped. It was Nicron, looking no worse for wear, rushing toward him with an astonished grin on his face.

"We're alive…" Leir's voice came from behind him, and Rilan whirled to see his second soldier back, walking toward him with wide eyes, "But how?"

"I don't know," said Rilan, looking down at his hands, "But I can still feel Frieza, and someone with him- someone even stronger! It has to be Goku," Rilan began to laugh, "I don't know what happened, but I don't want to miss this fight!"

"Captain, don't you think that's a bit hasty?" asked Leir, "I mean, we're alive. We should maybe… stay away from Frieza?"

"And miss the battle of the century?" said Rilan, new vigor consuming him, "You're crazy."

He took off into the sky toward the high power levels he felt brawling, and after a moment felt his men following him as well. He didn't know how it happened, but he was back in action, and that was enough to make him feel invincible.

*scene change*

"Do you feel that?"

Katima nodded, flying close to Vegeta's side, gazing forward with narrowed eyes. Yes she felt it. Goku's power… it was like something physical, something to weigh her down, like a potent gas in the air.

"We're close," said Katima, glancing at the prince.

He was avoiding her gaze, and Katima wondered if her emotion through the bond when he first woke up had made him uncomfortable. She blushed a bit and focused on flying forward.

Up ahead, she could see a bright golden light, and with it was-

"The Dragon?" gasped Vegeta.

Yes, it was the Namekian Dragon, bursting up into the sky. But how? Katima thought Guru was dead, and therefore so were the Dragon Balls. So how had someone summoned him again? But it was what was beside it that interested Katima more.

It was Goku and Frieza. And as they got closer, Goku became more and more clear, and he looked nothing like he had before.

His hair was spiked upward and instead of the raven black, it was a magnificent golden shade, and the golden light was coming from him, the aura around him pulsating in a beautiful yellow glow.

"Kakarot!" cried Vegeta, beaming as they stopped before Katima's brother, "Look at you! You did it, you became a Super Saiyan!"

So that was a Super Saiyan. It was amazing, the power there so strong that Katima could nearly taste it.

"I killed you!" Frieza shrieked, pointing accusingly at Vegeta, "How? How are you alive?"

"What's wrong, Frieza?" laughed Vegeta, "You look a little roughed up! How did you let a silly 'Saiyan monkey' do that to your face?"

Frieza did look like he had been through a rock fall. His scuffed and bleeding face twisted in rage, "How DARE you!" he screeched.

Vegeta howled in laughter, and clenched his fists, "Come on, Kakarot, let's take this freak off the face of the universe!"

"Afraid not, Vegeta," said Goku evenly, glancing at him, "This is my fight."

"You can't just keep us from-" Vegeta's sentence cut off, as suddenly, Namek vanished.

Katima fell heavily on her back, Vegeta crashing down next to her, a new world sprouting around them. Katima sat up and looked up at the blue sky with billowing white clouds, the trees towering around them with green leaves fluttering in the breeze. She could hear a river gurgling in the distance. Looking down she ran her hands through lush green grass.

"What happened?" Vegeta demanded, looking wildly around, "Where are we? Where's Kakarot? The Dragon? Frieza?"

Katima slowly stood up and turned when she heard voices nearby. In the clearing next to them were several Namekians, among them was Guru. As well as these was Bulma, Gohan, and a wounded Piccolo, and then, not to far from them was Rilan, Nicron, and Leir.

"Almost all of these people should be dead," said Vegeta, "I don't understand, what's going on? Katima?"

He grabbed her shoulder, making her look at him. She took in his beautiful face for a moment before answering, "Well, you were dead too. I told you, they used the Earth's Dragon Balls to wish everyone that Frieza killed back to life. Because, no offense, Vegeta, but I seriously doubted they would just wish you alone back."

"Very funny," scoffed Vegeta, looking around at all the people mingling, muttering in shock with one another, "So where are we now? Any smart answers for that?"

"It looks like Earth," said Katima, watching as Dende, alive and well now, ran over to Piccolo and healed him, "But why? Where's Goku?" she looked around, "He should have come with us."

Vegeta wandered over to the nearest tree, and sat down, resting against it and propping an arm on one knee.

"Well, this is fantastic," he said, beginning to smile, "Both Kakarot and Frieza both trapped on a planet that's about to explode, tearing each other apart!" he barked a laugh, "Which means I'll be the strongest one left!"

Katima cleared her throat and crossed her arms, looking down at him with narrowed eyes.

Vegeta met her gaze and blushed a bit, "Oh," he said, and frowned, "Well, I guess you can rule the universe with me," he smiled smugly.

"I hope for your sake that you're kidding," said Katima, dropping down to sit beside him and looking at the rest of the people.

"Katima?" Gohan came trotting toward her, "Hey! You're here too! Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," said Katima, "But I'm a little confused as to what happened."

"We all are," said Gohan, glancing back at everyone, "But Dende said that my dad told him to wish everyone except himself and Frieza back to Earth."

"I figured that's where we were," said Katima, looking around, "It's nice to be home. But what about Goku? How is he going to get back?"

Gohan bowed his head, glaring at the ground.

"It's okay, kid," said Katima, "Your dad is a piece of work. I bet he'll be fine."

"Don't hold your breath," scoffed Vegeta.

Katima smacked his shoulder, "Will you just get off your high horse for a minute?" she snapped.

Vegeta laughed, "What, am I supposed to do, act like I care about what happens to that low class warrior?"

"He became a Super Saiyan," said Katima, looking at him with a small smile, "Don't you want to know how he did it?"

Boom, she hit the spot. Vegeta frowned and grunted, looking away. Katima chuckled and looked back at Gohan, "Don't worry about Mr. Prince here," she said and winked, "I know how he ticks now."

"Hardly," huffed Vegeta, but Katima kept grinning.

"So where's Krillin?" she asked, looking around, "He's so damn short I can't even pick him out of the crowd."

Gohan looked at her with sad eyes.

"What?" asked Katima, "Frieza killed him? But everyone was wished back, so what's the big deal?"

"Krillin was already wished back to life a long time ago, before I was born," said Gohan, "The Dragon on Earth can't bring someone back more than once."

"Oh," Katima felt her heart ache slightly, frowning, and bowing her head, "That's.. that's a shame… I had come to like the little man."

There seemed to be a commotion around Guru. Several Namekians were gathered around him, even Rilan and his soldiers. Bulma was walking toward Katima and the others, beckoning them.

"Guys, Guru can feel what's happening on Namek!" she called, "Come on, let's hear what's going on!"

Gohan rushed over at her call and Katima got to her feet.

"I guess we should find out what's happening," she said, looking down at Vegeta, "You must be eager to hear about the battle."

"You go," said Vegeta, "I don't like crowds."

Katima frowned down at him, noticing how he avoided her gaze. She could feel an awkwardness in the bond, like he was shy, but not toward the crowd around Guru, but her. As Gohan got out of ear shot, Katima knelt beside Vegeta.

"What?" he asked, still not looking at her.

"Your tough guy bravado doesn't fool me," said Katima, smiling.

His blush brightened and he pointedly looked the other way.

"Listen," said Katima softly, "I understand that what has happened isn't what you ever expected," she looked at the grass, feeling heat rise in her cheeks, "It isn't what I expected either. When I planted the bond, I had full intention to kill myself and take you with me in order to save me home. I thought that I was bonding with a monster that didn't know the meaning of mercy or pity. And I was, at first," she slowly stood up, "But you've changed," she said, looking down at him, "And I no longer consider you my enemy, Vegeta. You're my friend, whether you like that or not."

She turned and walked away, and could feel his eyes burrowing into her back. There was a light touch from him in the bond, something that she knew he could never say aloud to her, at least not yet. He considered her a friend now too.

*scene change*

This new turn of events was something that Rilan found slightly interesting. He listened as Guru relayed what was happening on Namek. It appeared that Frieza was losing terribly, and not taking it too well. Rilan could do nothing but smile as he heard about Goku kicking his smug ass. He and the rest of the crowd cheered whenever Guru relayed an excellent move of Goku's.

Suddenly, one by one, the seven Namekian Dragon Balls crashed around them. Rilan pulled Nicron out of the way of the last one.

"Ah, the Dragon Balls followed me here…" said Guru softly, "Good, just in time…"

"In time?" asked an older Namekian man standing in front of him, "What are you talking about, Guru?"

"My time is done now," wheezed Guru, "I was brought back long enough to ensure my people continued to live. That is all that mattered to me."

"Guru!"

"No!"

"You can't leave us!"

Rilan sighed and strode away. Tragic that he was dying, but Rilan wanted to hear about the battle. He had lived far too long to not hear about the demise of Frieza.

"Captain?" Nicron and Leir followed him.

Rilan turned to them, "Enough," he said, smiling, "I'm not a Captain anymore. I'm just Rilan. Understand?"

"Of course, Ca- er-" Nicron began.

"Oh Goddamn it it's pointless," sighed Rilan, leaning against a tree and looking out at the group as Guru passed his powers to a new Namekian before him, "Listen I need you two to do something."

"Yes, Captain?" asked Leir, "I mean- Rilan?"

Rilan rolled his eyes but continued, "During that battle, I realized how weak you two are."

"Gee, thanks," scoffed Nicron.

"That's not really my point," said Rilan, "I mean, weak you are apart. After you two died, I realized that the fusing technique I taught you had been wasted. So I want you to fuse."

"Now?" asked Nicron, eyes wide.

"No, after you both die again- YES NOW!" Rilan barked.

The both flinched and looked at each other with mild distaste.

"I really hoped we never had to do it," said Leir.

"Too bad," snapped Rilan, "Go on, get on with it."

"Fine, you don't have to be so rude about it," muttered Nicron and held out his hand to Leir.

Leir sighed and looked down at himself, "I'll miss this body…"

"ARE YOU CALLING ME UGLY?" Nicron shouted.

"No, just not as beautiful as me," said Leir, smirking at him.

"Will you two stop bickering and fuse?" hissed Rilan

They both let out an irritated huff of air and pressed their palms together. There was a bright light, Nicron's body enlaced in blue, and Leir in red. These two lights melded into one another and became a potent purple. Rilan was aware of everyone now looking at the light as Guru's body faded to nothing as he passed on, but kept his eyes on his comrades becoming one.

Slowly, the light faded, and revealed the new being beneath. Rilan smiled in satisfaction.

The new being was purple in skin, a deep violet shade, with a mane of white hair framing red eyes. Luckily, it had kept Leir face, but the body was much more muscular like Nicron's. The height had evened out, so he was just a bit shorter than Rilan himself. This new being looked at his strong hands and laughed, a voice that had the sort of lightness of Nicron's, but Leir's odd accent as well.

"Okay, this ain't so bad," he said, looking up at Rilan, "I was worried at first, but this will do."

"Your power is much better," said Rilan, clapping a hand on his shoulder, "So, what will your name be?"

"Lercron," said this new being, smiling to show fanged teeth of Nicron, "Suitable, yes?"

"It is," said Rilan, smiling back.

*scene change*

After Guru's death, and the strange fusion of Nicron and Leir, Katima found herself wandering back toward Vegeta. He hadn't moved since she had told him that he was her friend, looking at his boots with a thoughtful frown. Katima stopped a few yards away, not sure if she should approach him fully again. After the realization that she was in love with him, she wasn't sure how to deal with it.

He was a brick wall, Frieza had been right about that, but she had managed to take one of the bricks out, and could peer within. What she saw was the most complex thing she had ever seen, something that she could barely comprehend. It terrified and excited her all at once, and as she stared across the clearing at him, contemplating their new life that would inevitably be together, she was dying to put together the puzzle that was Vegeta, to see it complete before her.

So why was she fooling around? She couldn't just tiptoe around him, no, not Vegeta. With him, she had to be assertive, even if it terrified her beyond imagining. If she wanted to see him to the fullest, she had to begin to establish the trust, to made the foundations.

So Katima walked across the clearing and sat beside him, looking at him with child like curiosity.

"What?" he demanded sharply, looking uncomfortable, "Why are you gawking at me like an idiot?"

Katima smiled. Why was it suddenly hot when he insulted her?

"What!" Vegeta barked.

"You do realize that you're stuck with me?" Katima asked.

Vegeta blinked, looking taken aback, "What are you getting at?"

"The bond," said Katima, "You can't just ignore it, can't act like you don't feel it too," she smirked, "So as long as you're stuck with me, don't you think you should try to settle down?"

"Here?" scoffed Vegeta, looking appalled.

"Yes, Vegeta," said Katima, her smiled fading to a serious frown, "I mean, you're going to have to adapt to some things. Like no more killing random people. That's frowned upon here."

"Why should we stay here?" asked Vegeta, "Why can't we go somewhere I like?"

"I can't imagine you 'liking' anywhere," said Katima, "Besides, your home planet… well, not to reopen wounds, but it's not around anymore. And since this is my planet, this is the closest thing you have to a home."

"A Saiyan Warrior doesn't need a home," snapped Vegeta.

"But doesn't a Prince?" asked Katima, "Don't you need a kingdom or something?"

"Are you going to let me take over the planet?"

"No but-"

"Then how is that a kingdom?" Vegeta demanded.

Katima let out a huff of irritation. How stubborn he was!

"Hey guys!"

They both looked over to see Bulma calling everyone to attention, "Yamcha is talking to me from King Kai's planet! He says that Frieza's dead!"

There was an irruption of cheers at this news, everyone smiling and clapping, jumping into the air, punching the sky with victorious fists.

"But there's more," said Bulma, "Goku died in the blast."

The bluntness of how she said it hammered into Katima, making her mouth drop open. Bulma was smiling still- something that made Katima's eye twitch. Was she in shock or something?

"Why the long faces, guys?" Bulma laughed, "We can just wish him back with the Dragon Balls!"

"Uh, Bulma," said Katima, getting to her feet, "Goku's already been wished back, remember?"

Bulma's face fell, "Oh God, I forgot," she breathed, "That's right…"

"Guys," Dende hopped forward, "Namek's Dragon Balls can wish people back to life several times over," he smiled, "You can just use ours!"

More cheers came, and Gohan declared, "That means we can get Krillin back too! And Chiaotzu!"

"You should all stop celebrating," said Piccolo grimly.

They all silenced, looking at him with wonder.

"What's up, Piccolo?" Gohan asked.

"They died on Namek," said Piccolo, "The Dragon's only bring people back to life where their body perished."

"Oh," Dende looked crushed, "Yeah, Namek's Dragon works like that too."

"Fools," spat Vegeta and stood, and shouted louder, "Just wish for them back to the check out station in other world first, then wish them back," he told them,

"That's a good idea, Vegeta," Gohan said, smiling back at him, "Thanks!"

"Aw, but we're going to have to wait an entire year before we can summon the Dragon," said Bulma with a sad face.

"Well, Namek's year is one hundred and thirty days," said Dende, "That's not that long here, right?"

"Not long at all!" Gohan said, smiling, "This is great! It's just one bit of good news after another!"

Katima was smirking, leaning against the tree with Vegeta, "You only want Goku back so you can figure out how to become a Super Saiyan."

"You read me like a book."

"Not hard to do, well, not for me," said Katima.

"So what are we going to do for a hundred and thirty days?" asked Rilan, stepping forward.

"Well," said Bulma, "You Namekians can stay with me, my family's estate is huge, big enough for all of you to have rooms to yourselves and some to spare," she grinned.

"Can we crash there, too, Bulma?" asked Katima, throwing an arm around Vegeta's shoulders, "I promise I'll keep the prince in check."

"Get your hands off me," hissed Vegeta, ducking out from under her arm, and scowling, but he didn't object to staying with Bulma.

"Sure," said Bulma, and glanced back at Rilan, "And you'll need a place too, right? You're kinda cute!"

Rilan blushed violently, looking completely taken off guard, "I- I- shut up!" he squeaked, looking away.

Bulma laughed, "You can even bring you're new purple friend!"

"We'll come," said the new Lercron, smirking at his Captain, "And don't mind him, he's always shy around women he finds attractive."

"WILL YOU SHUT UP?" Rilan smacked Lercron into the ground.

Katima laughed, "Well, it looks like we won't be without entertainment," she looked back at Vegeta, "And maybe we could actually get to know each other while we wait."

Vegeta didn't look back at her, crossing his arms and looking into the forest.

"You know, since we're stuck together," she went to his side and placed a delicate hand on his shoulder, "We should start acting like friends. Yes?"

Vegeta didn't reply, still glaring into the trees.

"You're killin' me," Katima sighed, "But that's okay, I enjoy a challenge."

With that, she turned and went over to where the others were, ruffling her nephew's hair as she passed. Peace was finally here, and Katima couldn't help but smile. What an adventure… and yet, as she glanced back at Vegeta, who was slowly following her, she felt like her real journey was just beginning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: Light Up the Sky by Yellowcard