Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

A Prince's Heart

Katima let the steaming water role over she shoulders, her eyes closed as she breathed in the vapor. It had been a long few months, but the peace was a nice change. Bulma's home was wonderful as well, and no matter how much Katima explored it, she kept finding new rooms and oddities. She mainly stayed in the indoor forest area where all the animals were. Bulma's parents were quite the animal lovers, and had all sorts of critters running around.

There was a pounding on the door, brining Katima back to the present.

"What?" she called over the rushing water.

"Are you almost done in there?" snapped an irritable voice.

Katima sighed heavily, "Vegeta, there's at least fifty other bathrooms in this place, go find another one."

"You know I can't find my way around this damn place," Vegeta growled, "The only way I knew this was a bathroom was because I could hear the water."

"You just have to hold it," said Katima, tipping her head back to soak her black hair, "Honestly, it wouldn't kill you to learn some patience."

Vegeta let out an irritated grunt and she heard a thump, telling her he was leaning against the wall outside the door.

Katima stifled a giggle. She was probably the only one in the entire household that could handle Vegeta's rough attitude. She was constantly apologizing for him whenever he offended someone, but it was something she didn't mind doing. Over the past few months, Vegeta had grown a bit more comfortable around her, and though he did not return her touches, he no longer snapped at her for throwing her arm over his shoulders or grabbing his hand to drag him to the forest room to see what antics that the animals were up to this time. To others, it may look like he was merely putting up with her, but Katima knew that it was a vote of confidence for him to allow her to get so close to him.

The Saiyan girl shut off the water and stepped out of the stall and towel dried her long hair before wrapping herself in a bath robe. She went to the door and opened it, leaning in the doorframe and smirking at Vegeta's frustrated face.

The moment he saw her, still dripping wet and in nothing but the thin bath robe, he blushed brightly and pushed past her into the bathroom and slammed the door behind him. Katima giggled and called in to him, "What's wrong, Vegeta? I don't scare you that badly, do I?"

"Go get some clothes on," he snarled back.

Katima laughed and headed back to her room. Bulma had taken the pleasure to fill her wardrobe with what she found to be stylish clothing for females. Katima had made her own adjustments to several of them, tearing off bothersome sleeves or tearing slits into skirts to make them easier to move in. Her blade was leaning in the corner of her large room, unused since they returned from Namek, but waiting like a valiant soldier in case it was needed once again.

Closing her door behind her, Katima shed her robe and went into the walk in closet, filtering through the clothing to decide what she wanted to wear today. Since the weather was rather subtle out today, she took out a tee shirt that she had ripped the bottom half off of for more mobility and pulled on a light jumper on over that, with some flexible jeans and her favorite boots.

Katima went to her window and looked out at the bustling city, and smiled lightly. What Lily would have said if she ever found out Katima was living in a city full of innocent people. She would have been worried sick about Katima trying to kill everyone. But it turned out city life suited her. She enjoyed going out with Bulma to see the sights and laughed at the boys trying to pick up on them. The best memory was when someone tried to mug them in the street and Katima sent him crashing into a bus.

With a sigh at the happy thoughts, Katima left her room, hands in pockets, her heart content. Only three weeks left until they could wish Goku and Krillin back. A part of her was a little worried, because she knew all that was keeping Vegeta here was the thought of findng out how to become a Super Saiyan from Goku. After that, who knew what he would do- he could possibly even decide to try and kill everyone after that. But hopefully, Katima could keep him from doing that. She knew at this point, that her opinion mattered to Vegeta, and that he wouldn't hurt any of her friends, no matter how much they irritated him. There had been several occasions where he was ready to throw Lercron through the wall for the fused being's snide remarks.

"Katima!"

Katima turned to see Dende running toward her. She smiled at the Namekian child. He and the rest of his people were living in the estate with them, and they were all great company.

"Hey, little green, what's up?" Katima asked.

"Master Roshi and the others are visiting," said Dende, smiling at her, "I figured you'd want to say hi."

"Sure," said Katima, "Main room, right?"

Dende frowned, "I hope so, Parunga knows where else they could be."

They laughed and made their way through the labyrinth of halls that led to the main room in the center of building. Upon entering the room, there was a loud chorus of greetings. Dende wasn't kidding- everyone was here.

Katima hugged Chichi first, and then ruffled Gohan's hair. She happily let Puar settle on her shoulder, and shook Oolong's hand.

"What's up with the visit guys?" Katima asked, scratching Puar behind the ear.

"We decided waiting at home was too boring," said Gohan with a laugh, "So Bulma's folks said it was okay if we stayed here until the Dragon is ready."

"That's great!" said Katima, smiling down at her nephew, "We could train!"

"No, no, Katima," Chichi waggled a finger at her, "Gohan doesn't need to be wasting his time learning to fight- he needs to study."

"Study?" Katima blinked, "Well… okay, I did my fair share of that when I was a kid."

"You did?" asked Chichi, eyes wide, "I thought you lived in the forest!"

"I did," said Katima with a shrug as she let Puar go and visit Dende, "But Lily wanted me to be civilized, so I did schoolwork. I actually got pretty good at English."

Chichi's eyes were watering and she hugged Katima tightly, "Oh thank goodness, a scholar in the family! And on Goku's side too, it's a miracle!"

Katima awkwardly patted her sister-in-law's back, "Uh- yeah- so if Gohan needs help with studying…"

"Oh yes, yes!" Chichi squealed, letting go of her and looking up at her with shining eyes, "You have no idea what this means to me!"

Katima laughed and rubbed the back of her neck, "S-sure, Chichi, no problem."

Gohan didn't look at all excited about the study talk, and Katima made a note to take the kid training- when Chichi wasn't looking of course. As important as it was for a kid to have smarts in this world, being able to fight was an excellent asset as well.

"Long time, no see, Katima!"

Katima stiffened when she felt a hand clench her left buttocks. Roshi! That bastard, Katima was going send him through the nearest window! But before she could even react, she heard a familiar voice snarl, "I wouldn't touch her, if I were you, old man."

Katima turned her head to see Vegeta leaning on a wall nearby, a dangerous scowl on his face, a dark look in his eyes.

"I'm just checking her fat-to-muscle ratio!" assured Roshi, rubbing Katima's butt, "Seems most muscle to me, strong gal you've got here!"

Katima's face turned red with embarrassment and anger, but once again, Vegeta beat her to the punch…. Literally.

Roshi went flying across the room and slammed into the couch, tipping it over, his staff clattering away. Vegeta straightened from his punch, and to Katima's great surprise and pleasure, he put an arm around her shoulders.

"You ever touch her again, and that punch will feel like a tickle compared to what I'll do to you," he snapped, narrowing his eyes dangerously.

Roshi slowly got up from behind the couch, a goose egg appearing above his left eye, his sunglasses askew.

"M-message received…" he croaked.

Katima giggled and crossed her arms. Vegeta kept her under his arm, but she could tell he wasn't exactly comfortable with it, just making a point to Roshi. It was sort of like he had claimed what was his, and this tickled Katima very deeply.

"Vegeta, how often are you going to break furniture in here?" Rilan walked into the room, looking rather different than he used to back on Namek in his faded jeans and collared shirt.

"As much as it takes," Vegeta replied dryly.

Rilan looked at Katima, and how Vegeta's arm was around her and sort of smirked. Rilan had become a good friend of Katima's during their stay in Bulma's estate, and she knew he was well aware of her feelings toward Vegeta. Not to mention, Katima was pretty sure Bulma had told him a few things, since Katima told her just about everything, and she and Rilan were getting pretty chummy.

But Rilan didn't make a comment. It was like he knew that drawing attention to Vegeta's rare show of emotion would just make the prince bottle up again. Instead he went across the room and greeted Gohan, kneeling in front of the child and asking how he had been.

Next to come in the room was Lercron and Bulma, who hopped into the room with an extra bounce than normal.

"Guys, I have something to show you!" she said.

"I hope it involves a new bathing suit!" called Roshi.

"Don't make me smack you like Vegeta did," Rilan warned, eyes narrowing at the old man.

"Why does everyone ruin my fun?" muttered Roshi, shoulders sagging.

"Anyway," Bulma sang, "Look! I want to know what you guys think. So Lercron, being all purple and stuff, can't exactly go out into the city," she beamed at them, "So I made something to let him, you know, blend in! Rilan asked me to do it," she added, shooting a glance at him, "So look!"

Lercron stepped forward, dressed much like Rilan, and lifted a hand that had a watch on the wrist. He pressed a button, and quite suddenly, he changed. Suddenly, his skin became a delicate peach, his eyes a shining green, his hair ash blond, and his body looking a bit less bulky, more human looking, though still muscular.

"That's great!" said Puar, "He looks completely normal!"

"Yeah, you make a great human, Lercron!" said Gohan, running forward and looking him up and down, "You're a genius, Bulma!"

Bulma tossed her blue hair, which was rather long now. Katima had a feeling that she was growing it out because Rilan had mentioned he liked longer hair on females.

"I try," Bulma said, smiling, "So why don't I show you all your rooms?"

Slowly everyone filtered out of the room, Roshi careful to stray far away from Vegeta. Soon it was just Katima and Vegeta left, and Katima was scared to move, enjoying his arm around her too much.

"Ugh, that old man is going to be staying here for three weeks?" Vegeta muttered to her, "Honestly, I seen better decency in an infant."

"He certainly is a character," Katima smiled, "Thanks, by the way."

Vegeta shrugged and dropped his arm from her shoulders, walking toward the window and looking out, hands in his pockets. Katima rather found him more attractive when he wore regular clothing than his armor. He was wearing a white button down shirt today, with black slacks. His muscular arms bare in the short sleeves, drawing Katima's eyes along the details of his veins.

"I wasn't going to watch him be such a pervert," Vegeta said.

"Really?" Katima went to the window with him, placing her hands on the sill and staring down at the city, "Hmm… I think you've seen him be like that around Bulma… and… you didn't interfere…"

Vegeta seemed very tense, and all sorts of strange emotions were pumping through the bond. Katima turned around, leaning her back against the sill and staring at him with mild wonder. He was glaring at his feet, and by the look on his face he was having some intense battle within himself. Katima tilted her head to the side in curiosity.

"Um… Vegeta?" she asked, frowning at him.

It was all so sudden.

Vegeta's movements were like that of a clumsy child, but fast and fierce, so fast that it took Katima several wide eyed heart beats to realize that his arms were around her, one pressed hard on the small of her back, the other hand cupping the nape of her neck roughly, and his lips, his lips on hers.

They were kissing.

By God, she was kissing Vegeta- and not like the first kiss they shared when she planted the bond, no, this was intense and passionate, almost violent. She closed her eyes and kissed back, grabbing him as harshly as he grabbed her, tangling her fingers tightly in his hair, clutching his body to hers. It was like breathing for the first time after being trapped under water. The way that her lips moved with his, it was like the bloom of life in her chest, and not only was she experiencing the thickness of her own excited emotions, but Vegeta's as well, flooding through the bond and filling her veins with electricity.

Katima was pressed back against the sill of the window, and she realized with a spark of shock that the way they were kissing was like how they battled. If they had been anything but the strong Saiyan warriors they were, the would have crushed each other's faces, broken each other's backs with how fiercely they clung to one another.

And as quickly as it began, it stopped.

Vegeta was staring at her, his eyes wide with wonder, his hands slowly slipping down to her hips, his brow sparkling with sweat.

"Vegeta…" Katima breathed, staring at him with passion pumping through her.

But Vegeta turned and swept from the room almost at a run. Katima stared after him with longing in her heart, one hand still outstretched toward where he had been. What was that that she had seen in his gaze just before he left? There were so many emotions swimming through her and Vegeta that she hadn't been able to pin point it in the bond…

And then, slowly, she realized. The look in his eyes, the lines etched in his face…

It was fear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: You by Evanescence.
(NOTE) The song is JUST called You, not Like You. It was a song that they didn't really publish on a CD. If you want to hear it, look up a lyric video on youtube :D