Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Planting the Bond

Rilan stared up at the screen with his body at attention, his mind alert and ears focused. Frieza in his first form, was looking down at him from the screen, his eyes narrowed with the seriousness of this mission.

“Receiving word that female Saiyan survived did not please me, Rilan,” Frieza said softly, “I don’t know how any one other than Vegeta, Nappa and Raditz was allowed to live. But after all, King Vegeta did seem to think there was going to be a battle,” Frieza smiled, “What a fool. They must have sent one away for a failsafe. No matter… I want you to find out where her ship landed and get rid of her. If there were to be any more full-blood Saiyans, it could be a problem for me.”

“Of course, Lord Frieza,” said Rilan, bowing low, but glaring at the ground as he did so.

It wouldn’t be much longer before he wouldn’t be bowing to Frieza any longer. In time, he would be bowing to Rilan. Yes, that was all he needed… time.

“I was told that a pod was destroyed in an asteroid belt, but I don’t want to take any chances. Go to the site of where we lost the signal and begin your search there,” said Frieza sharply, “I have faith in you, Rilan. Do not fail me.”

“I wouldn’t imagine failing you, my Lord,” said Rilan, straightening and smiling, “You can count on me.”

“Good,” said Frieza, returning his smirk, “Do not contact me again until you have positive proof of the female Saiyan’s death.”

And the screen flickered black.

Rilan turned to face the controls of his ship, a slow smile crawling across his lips. This female Saiyan did not concern him nearly as much as it did Frieza. He had faced several Saiyans and none of them posed a challenge to him. Why Frieza allowed such an insignificant race to frighten him was as dumbfounding as the fact that Frieza still trusted Rilan. No matter. While he went to find this pest, he could begin his true training.

Time…. It was all he needed.

---

“Time’s up.”

Katima looked up sharply from where she was sitting as Vegeta stood. Nappa had not yet returned, and all Katima could hope for was that the military some how managed to destroy him. Vegeta began walking toward them. Had three hours really passed already? She had been so deep in thought. The truth of what she was… the fact that she had family, that she was one of the last of a near non-existent race… It was a lot to handle, a lot to take in, but at the same time, Katima was glad, overjoyed really.

But now that Vegeta was stalking toward them, Katima had a feeling she had just learned the truth in time to die. How ironic.

“Looks like Kakarot was too scared to show up after all,” Vegeta chuckled, “How terrible for you.”

“You’re not starting without me, are you?”

Nappa landed lightly beside Vegeta, smiling broadly, “I just got done killing every battleship in the ocean… and their whales.”

Vegeta smirked, “Well glad you’re back in time, I didn’t want to get my armor dirty,” he glanced toward Katima, “But leave her for me, Nappa. We have unfinished business.”

“Why wait?” Katima stepped forward, “Your friend can battle them, but I want you for myself,” she held out a hand toward him, “Come on, prince, aren’t you going to ask me to dance?”

Vegeta scowled at her, “How dare you mock me. Fine. I can take care of you while Nappa destroys the insects. You do have to polish my boots, after all…”

“Katima, are you nuts?” Krillin hissed, “He’s stronger than the big one, and we can barley touch him!”

“Relax,” Katima looked back at him, “You three just focus on putting your target down and don’t worry about me.”

“She’s insane!” Krillin cried as Katima pushed past Nappa to face Vegeta.

“Trust her,.” she heard Piccolo mutter.

Vegeta laughed heartedly, smirking at her as she stopped a mere foot from him. “What exactly do you think you can do against me?” he said, “You know you’re outmatched, yet you insist on meeting your demise. It’s a shame. You must be the last female Saiyan, even more rare than myself and Nappa. And I suppose your brother counts as well.”

Katima smiled. It would be the first time that she tried this. Lily had granted her the gift in order to control her when she was a girl. It could be very risky to do it on someone like Vegeta, could even end up in her death, but she had to do it in order to buy time. If this Goku, her brother, was really the only chance they had, then time was exactly what they needed. And if she should perish in order to save the Earth? Well, that would be an honorable death. She still couldn’t believe that just this morning she had been only planning to hunt today.

“Okay, my dear prince,” she whispered, “You will let ladies go first, won’t you?”

Vegeta laughed again, it seemed that ever since he had landed all he could do was split his own sides. This was all a big game to him.

“Fine,” he said once he calmed down, “Go ahead, Katima. Let us see what you have.”

Behind them, the others had begun their battle with Nappa. She could hear the cries of anger and pain and hoped that Goku would arrive soon. Besides, she wouldn’t mind meeting her brother for the first time other than just seeing him die in her dream.

“Let the dance begin,” she muttered, smiling and cupped her hand around Vegeta’s cheek. She moved slowly, so as to make sure he did not try to dodge, and once her skin was touching his, she knew he couldn’t move.

“Wh-what-?” he stammered, eyes wide.

Katima smirked but knew the paralysis was going to wear off in a few more heartbeats, so she completed the bond.

She planted her lips to his.

She heard him grunt in shock as their bodies were consumed in a bright golden light. She felt his soul- the darkness that lay there, the hatred… and the pain. It threatened to consume her but she focused on the most human thing about him- his heartbeat. She felt it thrumming through her veins, and slowly, her heart began to beat at the exact same time as his, their pounding in perfect unison.

The bond was finished.

Vegeta’s fist slammed into her gut, breaking from his frozen state and Katima doubled over the breath leaving her instantly, breaking away from him. But as she recovered and looked up, she saw Vegeta bent over as well, clutching his stomach and his eyes wide with pure shock. He slowly looked up at her and now it was Katima’s turn to laugh.

“What’s wrong?” she rasped, slowly straightening, “Did you eat something rotten?”

“Wh-what did you do to me?” Vegeta demanded, pointing at her accusingly.

“The one thing that would make it so you can’t hurt me,” Katima breathed.

“You bitch!” Vegeta screamed and leapt at her, punching her across the face, making her soar several feet and crash into a boulder, making it break into rubble around her.

Katima spat out a mouthful of blood and slowly sat up to see that Vegeta was now clutching his face, gasping for breath. She began to laugh again, even though it made her ribs and jaw ache.

“It’s called the bond,” Katima told him as he began to march toward her, his eyes glazed in rage, “I can only do it with one person at a time. I was bonded with my adoptive mother, it was a gift she infused me with to ensure that I never hurt her when I was young. When she was dying, she removed it, and taught me to do it to another in case I would ever need it. I guess she must have saw this coming. That old hag certainly knew more than I ever could put my finger on.”

“Take it off,” Vegeta growled, towering over her, murder thick in his gaze, “Now!”

Katima laughed again, and Vegeta slammed a foot onto her gut, but it only made him stagger away, clutching his middle and cursing.

“I’m sorry, prince,” she said, trying to recover from the last blow, “But the bond won’t go until you die. I can’t remove it.”

“You’re lying!” Vegeta snarled, reaching down and grabbing the front of her shirt, “Remove it now! Don’t make me kill you!”

“I wouldn’t do that,” Katima said as he lifted her to his face, “Trust me, I didn’t kiss you for nothing. If I die…” she coughed and grinned, “You die.”

Vegeta’s eyes seemed to dilate with anger. Katima smiled in victory.

“You’ll remove it, you little wench,” he snarled, dropping her and grabbing her forearm.

Before he could continue however there was a loud scream and a blast of energy. Vegeta looked toward the blast with mild curiosity, never loosening his grip on Katima’s arm. She followed his gaze and let out a yelp of horror.

It was Piccolo.

He had his arms wide and was taking on the entire blast of power emitting from Nappa’s mouth. Behind him, shielded by his body, was Gohan.

The blast faded, and for a moment, Katima thought that Piccolo was actually okay, seeing as he was still standing. But then he fell face forward, making Gohan shout out and rush to his side. The child remained there for a moment, shaking and sobbing over his fallen mentor. Then, Gohan let out a cry, a wail that contained all of his rage. He jumped to his feet and Katima felt his power level suddenly sky-rocket. She and Vegeta watched in awe as he shot a massive beam of energy at Nappa. Katima was about to celebrate, sure that a blast that strong could finish the mighty Saiyan. But Nappa threw out his arm punching the beam and deflecting it into a small mountain, which was completely disintegrated by the blast.

“Wow, nice job kid, that made my arm numb!” Nappa cried, smirking at the child.

Gohan was breathing heavily, and Katima felt his power level fall. That had sapped all of his energy.

“It was fun, kid,” said Nappa, approaching the child with a wide grin, “But I’m all through playing games.”

“Nappa, wait!”

Nappa turned to look at Vegeta as the prince pulled Katima toward them. Katima could feel his rage almost as if it were her own. Vegeta threw her to the ground, but lightly, so as not to hurt her. She looked up as he went to Gohan and grabbed the child by the hair, making him cry out.

“Stop it!” Katima shouted.

“Remove it!” Vegeta snarled, “Do it or he dies!”

“I can’t!” Katima cried, “I’m telling you the truth, it can’t be removed!”

“What are you talking about, Vegeta?” Nappa asked.

“Shut up!” Vegeta ordered him then returned his attention to Katima, “What is this bond? Tell me everything! Why does it injure me when I hurt you?”

Nappa’s eyes widened slightly, but Vegeta ignored him, “TELL ME!” he screamed.

Katima flinched as Gohan howled in pain.

“Gohan!” she heard Krillin call, and turned to see him badly injured and laying in the dirt a few yard away, “Katima do what he wants!”

Katima gritted her teeth. “It makes it so that our hearts drum to the same beat, no matter where we are from each other, we have a sort of mental bond, where we can feel one another’s emotions. And, when in close proximity, we feel each other’s pain too.”

“Close proximity?” Vegeta snapped, “What does that mean?”

Katima looked at Gohan as his eyes watered in pain and she clenched her fists in the dirt, “If you were to hurt me, or anyone else while I was within a hundred yards from you, you would feel the pain of it too. You won’t share the injury, which is to say, if someone cut my arm off, your arm wouldn’t simply fall off. But you would feel the pain from it just as if it happened to you.”

“You said if I killed you it would kill me too,” Vegeta growled.

“That is the only thing,” she said quickly for fear for her nephew’s life, “If I were to die by your hands, or if it were to happen while within range of the bond, you would die too.”

“Well what about you?” Vegeta demanded, holding Gohan up, making his scream even louder, “If I get hurt, will you feel it too?”

“Yes,” said Katima, “But… If you die, I won’t.”

“What kind of bullshit is this?’ Vegeta tossed Gohan to the ground, making the boy scramble away to Krillin, “What kind of sorcery is it? There has be a way- I- ah…” he began to smile, “Of course. Nappa,” he turned to his comrade, “Take this pathetic excuse for a Saiyan far from here, and then kill her. No games, no playing, just destroy her, understand?”

“I can do that, Vegeta,” Nappa smiled willingly, looking down at Katima, “Come on girl, you wanted to dance, didn’t you?”

Katima was about to begin inflicting as much damage to herself as possible to make Vegeta weak, but just before Nappa could reach her, she was suddenly in the air, and soared a few yards away before coming to a stop by Gohan and Krillin. She looked down to see she was on a cloud, a fluffy golden cloud.

“Nimbus!” Gohan cried.

“What- but-” Katima suddenly felt it- a heavy power level.

She turned to see a man standing in front of Vegeta and Nappa. He was muscular, wearing an orange outfit like Krillin’s with a symbol on the chest. He had radically wild black hair, and his face was in a calm sort of anger, his eyes narrowed.

“GOKU!” Krillin cried.

“It’s Daddy!” Gohan smiled widely.

“So that’s Goku,” said Katima.

That was her brother.

Yes, she could see the resemblance now. How strange. She rolled off the strange cloud that was called Nimbus and it soared away. Goku was approaching them now, leaving Vegeta and Nappa to continue to stare at him with mild surprise.

“So you finally decided to show, Kakarot?” Vegeta sneered.

Goku ignored him. Once he reached Katima and the others he held out a small bean to her.

“Eat this,” he said.

“Uh,” Katima took it from him and looked into his eyes.

He knew. He knew he was her brother. But how? The seriousness in his eyes made Katima want to back away. She looked at the bean and then popped it into her mouth. If he knew she was his sister, it must be something to help her.

Too little too late did she remember the bond.

Whatever that bean was, it made strength flow back into her veins, and her injuries vanish. She looked across the way and saw Vegeta too had felt the power of the bean and was gazing at his hands with wide eyes.

“Ah, shit,” she breathed as Goku gave another bean to Krillin, and a third to Gohan, murmuring to them encouragement and congratulating them on a job well done for stalling the Saiyans.

Vegeta looked over at her and gritted his teeth. She knew he wanted her dead more than anything, but the new arrival of Goku had him distracted. Good.

“You guys just sit back,” said Goku, turning back to the Saiyans, “I can handle it from here.”

As he passed Katima he paused and looked at her, “King Kai told me about you,” he said softly, “And I want to thank you for helping my friends. It’s nice to find a sibling that doesn’t want to kill me or the Earth. I wish I had known earlier about you.”

“Likewise,” Katima whispered, “But before you battle them,” she looked at Vegeta, “I made a bond with the smaller one. I will feel any injury he does if we’re too close to each other.”

“Really?’ Goku looked toward him, “How did you do that?”

“It’s a long story,” said Katima, unconsciously wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, “Just… Look, I can feel your power,” she looked at him, “If you could keep him a few hundred yards from me while you’re beating the shit out him, I’d appreciate it.”

“No problem,” said Goku, beginning to walk away.

“Also,” Katima grabbed his shoulder, “If you can’t… if you can’t beat him… Get him close to me. If I die when he’s within range, so will he.”

“It won’t come to that,” Goku promised, “I just met my sister, I won’t lose you so soon.”

Katima released him and watched him go, Vegeta and Nappa waiting for him like hawks. She could tell her brother would have no issue downing the big one, but Vegeta… his power level was very close to Goku’s. It could be a problem, despite Goku’s confidence.

If it came to it, she would make sure Vegeta would fall.

“Go Dad!” Gohan cheered, jumping into the air with his rejuvenated body.

“What’s the Scouter say about his power level, Vegeta?” asked Nappa with a smirk.

“Let’s check,” Vegeta pressed the button on the device on his head.

His smug smile slowly turned into a slightly gaped mouth of shock.

“Vegeta?” Nappa prompted, “Vegeta, what is it?”

Vegeta grit his teeth and pulled the Scouter from his face, “It’s.. It’s over nine thousand,” he hissed and crushed the Scouter in his fist, the bits of electronics falling to the earth.

“That must be a good score,” Krillin whispered.

“Earlier he said each of those green freaks had a power level of twelve hundred,” Katima reminded him, “That should give you a good estimate.”

“Wow,” said Gohan, smiling proudly, “He’s gotten so much stronger!”

“Looks like dying was the best thing that could have happened for Goku,” said Krillin, “Who knew?”

“You won’t be hurting my friends anymore,” said Goku, standing before the Saiyans, “Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu, even Piccolo… their deaths will be avenged, that much I can promise you.”

“Your Scouter had to have been malfunctioning, Vegeta,” said Nappa, “There’s no way this runt’s power level could be that high.”

“Here’s the kicker,” Katima muttered to Gohan and Krillin, “I can sense that Goku is hiding some of his strength.”

“Wow!” Krillin threw a fist into the air, “Looks like we don’t have a thing to worry about then! Goku has this one in the bag!”

“Don’t be so sure,” Katima said, making the two of their smiles fade.

“What do you mean?” Gohan asked.

“Vegeta is hiding some of his power too,” said Katima.

Goku and Nappa began to battle, and it was obvious who was superior. Goku dodged every single hit and landed ever blow he delivered, quickly turning the fowl enemy that had fallen so many into a bleeding pulp.

“So,” said Krillin as they stared up at the battle as it took to the sky, “What did you say to Goku about a bond with Vegeta?”

“It was a desperate move,” said Katima, looking toward the prince as he watched his comrade being beaten so terribly, not even lifting a finger to help, “The bond is something I haven’t felt since my adoptive mother died. She gave me the gift. It was what she used to keep me in control when I was a girl. I gained the ability to use it again after she passed. I knew it was the only way to make sure Vegeta couldn’t kill me, and it was enough to keep him busy until Goku arrived. You heard the limitations it has.”

“Is that why you kissed him?” Gohan asked.

“Wh-what?” Krillin’s mouth dropped open, “You kissed him?!”

Katima blushed a bit, “It’s how the bond is done. Trust me, I didn’t enjoy it. I felt his being then. It’s so… dark. I’ve never felt something so sinister. He has no mercy, no pity. Only ambition.”

And that pain… she didn’t bother telling the others that part. It felt like it was the deepest and darkest secret Vegeta held, was all that pain and torture in his heart.

“Nappa stop!”

They all looked toward Vegeta, who was glaring up at Nappa and Goku who had broke apart to pay attention to him.

“You’re getting nowhere, Nappa,” said Vegeta with a snarl, “It’s my turn. Get down here and take care of the girl.”

Nappa looked at Goku with mild regret. It was clear he wanted to continue battling.

“Fine,” he sighed, “You’re lucky, Kakarot, Vegeta’s the only one in this universe that could stop me from killing you.”

“Really?” Goku raised a brow, “I thought I was winning.”

Nappa growled as he landed and looked toward Katima, Krillin and Gohan.

“Oh well, guess I’ll have to quench my thirst of blood with the potatoes while Vegeta gets the meat,” he smirked and began to fly toward them.

There was a sharp noise, like a blade swinging through the air, and suddenly, Goku was in front of Nappa. Nappa let out a yowl of surprise and threw a punch, but Goku ducked it and rolled around him. With one swift movement, Goku slammed his fist into Nappa’s back and lifted him into the air with one hand, making the Saiyan scream in agony before Goku tossed him over to Vegeta’s feet.

“Whoa,” Krillin breathed, “I-I didn’t even see him move! How did he get over here so fast?”

Katima smiled, “Very impressive. And to think, he’s still holding back.”

“V-Vegeta,” Nappa groaned, gazing up at the prince, “I- I can’t move m-my legs.”

“He broke his spine,” said Katima, “Clever. That man will never fight again.”

“H-help me, Vegeta,” Nappa raised a hand up.

Vegeta took it, looking down at the fallen warrior with indifferent eyes.

“Thank you, Vegeta,” Nappa smiled up at him.

Vegeta slowly smiled back, but Katima felt the darkness within him bloom to the surface. She shuddered and her eyes widened, “Oh, God, no,” she whispered.

“What?” Krillin asked.

“Sure thing,” said Vegeta softly, smirking down at Nappa, “I will help you.”

Katima quickly covered Gohan’s eyes. Vegeta tightened his grip on Nappa’s hand and threw him up into the air, the Saiyan screaming in terror as he was launched into the sky. Vegeta, smiling the entire time, lifted a palm toward him and a mighty blast of power burst forth, and Katima watched in horror as Nappa was reduced to nothing in the white light. It was about to consume Katima and the others when a strong arm wrapped around her waist and she was lifted up into the sky.

The power faded and Vegeta slowly lowered his hand, still smiling up at the spot where his comrade had perished. There was no shock for Katima. She had felt Vegeta’s very being. This act was no surprise to her, but that did not change how horrified she was. She twisted to see it was Goku who had saved them, his sister under one arm and Gohan and Krillin under the other.

“He just killed his teammate!” Krillin cried.

“He was useless to Vegeta,” said Katima, glaring toward the prince, “He saw him merely as a burden. So he got rid of it.”

“That’s horrible!” Gohan exclaimed, “How could someone be so cold-hearted?”

Goku released them and they hovered in the air beside him.

“Why did you do that?” Katima demanded, glaring at Goku.

“What?” Goku blinked, caught off guard.

“If you let me die in that blast, it would have killed him too,” Katima snarled, “That was just a taste of his power!”

She could feel it clearly now, what had been masked before. Vegeta was the strongest force she had ever felt.

“And I’ve only shown a taste of mine,” said Goku sharply, “I wasn’t going to let you die just to kill him.”

“Just to-” Katima shook her head, “Goku- in this case, some sacrifices have to be made. He’s-”

“I can beat him,” said Goku, cutting her off.

Katima sighed heavily. Maybe he was right. It was true, Goku was hiding his bulk of power as well. But what she had just felt from Vegeta… it was massive.

“I want you three to go back to Kame House,” said Goku, “You’ll be safe there.”

“But, Dad, I want to help you!” Gohan whined.

Krillin seemed to be going through some deep thought before he spoke, “Goku is right.”

“What?” Gohan gasped, “Krillin-”

“I want to stay and help too, Gohan,” said Krillin sharply, “But we’ll just be a distraction to your father. If Vegeta got a hold of you or me, he could use us against Goku,” he looked at Katima, “You too, Katima.”

“No,” said Katima, “You two go, I have to stay.”

“What?” Krillin hissed, “Didn’t you just hear what I said?”

“You forget,” said Katima, “Vegeta can’t hurt me without hurting himself. And now, without his buddy, he can’t dispose of me far from himself. Even if he got more than a hundred yards from me and fired a shot, it would still hurt him. He can’t do any damage to me himself or it’ll backfire.”

“But- Katima if Goku and Vegeta get too close, you could get hurt,” said Krillin, “You feel his pain too, right?”

“I’m the failsafe, Krillin,” said Katima, “If shit really hit’s the fan, I’m the one thing that could hurt Vegeta the most.”

“Hey, easy on the cussing, the kid’s only five,” said Krillin, glancing at Gohan.

Katima glanced at him, “You didn’t hear that, Gohan.”

“I told you, it won’t come to that,” said Goku, “I can beat him.”

“I’m staying,” snapped Katima, “If you beat him, good, but if you need help, I’ll be nearby.”

Goku sighed and looked down at Vegeta who was smiling up at them.

“He isn’t even trying to attack,” said Krillin, “It’s like he isn’t even worried.”

“He isn’t,” said Katima, feeling the eerie calm coming from him, “He feels that he can win without breaking a sweat, even seeing what Goku did to Nappa.”

“Gohan, Krillin, go,” said Goku, “Katima, you should hide if you’re staying. I’ll try not to get too close to you. Shout if I do.”

“Don’t worry,” said Katima, “I’m fast. Gohan,” she looked at him, “I’m glad I’ve finally met you. I had no idea I was an aunt. And Krillin, you’re a skilled fighter. Keep the kid safe.”

“No worries,” said Krillin, “Come on, Gohan.”

“Be safe dad,” Gohan said as he and Krillin turned and flew away, off into the distance.

Vegeta laughed below them. Goku and Katima faced him to see him still smiling up at them,

“It doesn’t matter,” he told them, “They’re going to die anyway, you all are, well…” he glared at Katima, “Except you. I’ll have to find some other way to deal with you. Now, my fellow Saiyans, shall we begin?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to my first suscriber, hope you continue to enjoy!
Song for this chapter: Afterlife by Switchfoot