Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Trunks

Rilan had never flown so fast in his life. He was still remembering vividly how he had convinced Lercron to stay behind and keep Bulma and the others safe. It hadn't been easy, his second in command had wanted to help, but Rilan didn't want to lose his best friend again. Looking behind him, he noted everyone who was going to confront Frieza.

There was Krillin, a look of hard determination on his face, Yamcha not too far behind, then Tien with Chiaotzu close by, and Piccolo, who had joined their flight not too long ago, as well as young Gohan. Katima and Vegeta were the closest to Rilan, flying near each other, close enough to touch if they reached out. Despite the situation, Rilan almost cracked up again seeing Vegeta in that pink shirt.

Fighting the urge to laugh, Rilan forced himself to look forward again. They were flying above a wasteland now, and the ship was ahead, slowly landing in the distance.

"We should land!" Rilan called over his shoulder, "So their Scouters don't pick up our signal!"

There were nods of agreement and the group lowered to the ground, landing one by one. There was a large mountain between them and where the ship landed, which was good for cover, but it blocked their view of what was going on.

"I don't get it," said Katima, coming to his side, "How did Frieza survive? Can he regenerate like Piccolo?"

"No," said Piccolo, stepping forward, "I'm not sure how he's alive, but it isn't from regeneration."

"Damn it," hissed Vegeta, "This is ridiculous, do you feel that power? Frieza's even stronger than before, and I believe his father is with him."

"That's what that second power is coming from?" asked Katima.

"Yes," said Rilan, nodding, "I recognize that now. It's obvious. Frieza is here for revenge. But Goku isn't even here to greet him," Rilan spat on the ground, "We can't face him like this! Even all together we are no where near strong enough!"

"Wait…" whispered Gohan, grabbing Katima's arm, "Do you feel that?" he asked her.

Katima's eyes widened and then Vegeta's. Confused, Rilan let out his senses as well, and then he too felt it. A third power source, this one even stronger- stronger that Frieza's and his father's combined.

"What the hell is THAT?" he hissed.

Before anyone could answer, they were distracted by the sound of an engine. Rilan turned and let out a groan. It was Bulma's plane, he would recognize the yellow machine anywhere. What was she doing here?

The plane landed and Bulma skipped out of it, Puar on her shoulder and Lercron just behind her.

"Goddamn it, Lercron, I told you to stay back at the estate and keep them safe, not bring them here!" Rilan shouted.

"She was very convincing," Lercron had his watch on, so he looked human, "Besides, Captain, you know I can't let you fight without me, especially with Frieza."

Rilan let out a sigh and shook his head, "Okay, then Bulma, what the hell are you and Puar doing here?"

"I didn't get to see Frieza when we were on Namek, and hell, if the world's going to end, I at least want to see him first!" Bulma smiled.

"You're impossible," Rilan shook his head.

"Guys!" Katima shouted, looking toward the power sources, "They're fighting! Can you feel that power?"

Rilan could. The ground started shaking, and he grabbed Bulma when she nearly fell and held her to his chest, gritting his teeth. That was amazing! What was this third power level? He had never felt it before, he was certain. It was fighting with Frieza and King Cold, but he wondered if this one was on their side or just against Frieza.

Suddenly, like a light going out, Frieza's power source vanished.

"No way," whispered Krillin, "He's gone! Just… poof! He's dead!"

A few moments past and then King Cold's signal vanished as well.

"We can't just sit here," snapped Katima and took off into the air.

"Katima, no, they'll pick up your energy!" Gohan cried.

Vegeta let out an irritated grunt and followed, Gohan just behind him, and Piccolo after that.

"Hold on," Rilan told Bulma and Puar and shot upwards to follow, the rest of the group on his heels.

They cleared the mountain and landed one by one on a small bluff overlooking the valley that Frieza's ship lay in. Down below there were several bodies scattered- all Frieza's men. King Cold was laying dead against the ship leg, a hold in his chest, and Frieza wasn't even there. The only one standing down there was a boy, maybe seventeen at the oldest. He looked up at them, and Rilan saw he had light purple hued hair, and bright blue eyes. There was a sword sheathed across his back, and he was in jeans, a black under shirt and a blue half jacket, yellow boots on his feet.

"Hey!" he called to them, smiling and waving, "I'm going to go where Goku's landing! Come on, follow me!"

"What?" Gohan said, "Did he say something about my dad?"

"What if it's a trap?" asked Yamcha.

Bulma shook her head, "He killed Frieza, he can't be that bad."

"I want to know how a boy got so strong," hissed Vegeta, and was the first to take off.

Katima hissed in annoyance and followed.

"I guess we're going," said Rilan, and launched into the air, following the mysterious boy across the sky, Bulma hugging him tightly and Puar clinging to his shoulder.

*scene change*

Katima landed lightly next to Vegeta, her eyes fastened to the boy's back. He was a few yards away, looking up into the sky, hands in his pockets. The others landed around them, Rilan setting Bulma down carefully. The boy glanced back at them, looking them over carefully as if drinking in their image.

"You came," he smiled, "Goku will be landing in two hours on this spot," he pointed in the small valley before him.

"Two hours?" asked Rilan, taking a step forward, "How is it that you know these things? How did you defeat Frieza and King Cold with such ease?"

The boy flinched at his confrontation and rubbed the back of his neck, smiling, "It's a long story," he said, "But you have to believe me. I've come a far way."

"What's your name?" asked Katima walking forward.

The boy looked at her, looking for a moment at the hilt of her sword, then at her attire, "You must be Katima. It's really nice to finally meet you," he held out his hand.

"Right," Katima said, knowing he was avoiding the question, taking his hand and shaking it, "May I see your blade? I'm quite the swordsman."

The boy blushed a bit, "Maybe after Goku lands," he said, "It's complicated."

"Seems to me that everything is complicated with you," snarled Vegeta, stepping to Katima's side, "How does a boy your age have the power to kill Frieza in the blink of an eye?"

"You're Vegeta," the boy breathed, slowly smiling, "Yes, I can tell, you attitude says it all."

"What did you say?" Vegeta snarled, raising a fist.

Katima pulled him back, "Stop it!" she hissed.

"How do you know our names?" Vegeta demanded.

"I know all your names," said the boy, looking them all over, "You just have to trust me. I promise, I'm here to help."

"I don't like this," Vegeta muttered as Katima pulled him away to sit on a boulder with her, "How does he know us? What is this about?"

The group all settled in to wait, but Katima could feel the unease of trusting the boy. The minutes leaked by, and Katima kept tossing rocks across the valley with Gohan and Krillin, each trying to get theirs the farthest. When one rebounded off the far mountain and hit Piccolo in the face, however, they were forced to stop.

"This is ridiculous," growled Vegeta after a good amount of time, "Are we really supposed to trust that kid? Surely two hours have past."

"This is a good exercise for you," Katima told him, "For your patience, you know."

Vegeta opened his mouth to retort, but there was a noise that cut him off, the sound of a sailing missile. They all looked up as the boy got to his feet. There was definitely a ship coming down. The rest of the group got to their feet as an orb sailed down and slammed into the ground. A cloud of dust erupted into the sky, and Katima shielded her eyes.

When the ground finally stopped shaking, Katima looked up and slowly smiled at the familiar power source she was feeling. The dust settled, and Katima rushed forward with most of the others to the edge of the crater the ship had made and chuckled when she saw the Ginyu Force's symbol on the small round white pod in the ground. How he managed to get one of those things before Namek exploded was beyond her.

The pod opened, and Katima beamed as she saw her brother climb out in perhaps one of the most ridiculous looking outfits- the top half looked like a thick space suit, and the bottom like red gym pants.

"Hey guys," said Goku with a startled look on his face, "I didn't expect a welcoming party!"

"Daddy!" Gohan sprinted down and hugged his father tightly.

Goku smiled and picked up his son to carry him up out of the crater.

"How did you guys know I was going to land here?" Goku asked.

"That guy," said Krillin, pointing at the boy, "He knew where you were going to land, and he killed Frieza without even trying!"

"So that was you," said Goku, "Yeah, I felt it while I was on my way," he frowned at the boy, "But how did you know when and where I was going to land?"

"May I speak with you, in private, Goku?" the boy asked.

Goku set his son down and shrugged, "Sure."

"What if it's a trap?" asked Krillin, grabbing Goku's arm.

"I'm not too worried," said Goku, "I'll be right back!"

"You too, Katima," said the boy, "Follow me."

"Me?" asked Katima, frowning.

"Yes, and only you," the boy glanced at Vegeta.

"What?" snapped Vegeta, "Why?"

"Relax," said Katima, touched that he felt such protectiveness over her, "I'll be fine."

Vegeta snorted and went over to a boulder and sat on it with an irritable huff.

The boy only led them just out of ear shot from the others before he stopped and turned to face them.

"There's a reason I knew when and where you would land, Goku," he said, "My name is Trunks. I'm from the future, twenty years to be exact."

"What?" hissed Katima and Goku at the same time.

"How?" asked Katima, frowning.

"Time machine, of course," said Trunks, "My mother built it herself. Listen, I come from a future of terrible discord and chaos. I have come back in time to help ensure that the same thing doesn't happen to your future. Three years from now in South City, two androids will appear, and destroy everything. It's going to kill every one of the Z fighters except for my mentor and best friend, Gohan," he glanced back at the boy with admiration in his eyes, "But they will take him too eventually, ten years later," he looked back at the siblings, who stared at him in horrified silence, "Frieza is nothing compared to these androids. I myself am no match for them."

"This is terrible!" said Goku, "Do we die in the battle too? My sister and I?"

"No," said Trunks, "You die before."

"What?" shrieked Katima, "How? Why?"

"A virus," said Trunks, his young face grave, "It takes out several people, so strong that it can even kill a Super Saiyan."

"That's ridiculous," hissed Goku, smacking a fist into his palm, "All my strength and I just get killed by a stupid virus! I didn't even get to take a crack at them!"

Trunks stared with aw and admiration as Katima shook her head, glaring angrily at her feet.

"Did you come back to warn us?" asked Katima, "I mean, I guess if we're prepared we might have a chance, but it seems pretty slim. I suppose Vegeta would stand a chance-"

"Vegeta is killed by the androids as well," said Trunks, looking at her.

Katima's body tightened and she gritted her teeth, "No!" she breathed, "There has to be something we can do!"

"There is," Trunks smiled, "Here," he reached into his coat and took out two small vials, "Take these."

"What are they?" asked Goku, taking them.

"The cure to the virus," said Trunks, "There's no cure in this time, but there is in mine. Just take it when you start feeling it. It attacks the heart. You'll feel it, trust me."

"Hey," said Katima, "That's a Capsule Corp symbol," she pointed at the C on Trunk's shoulder.

"Yes," Trunks smirked, "Bulma is my mother. You wanted to see my sword, right?"

He unsheathed it and handed it to her. Katima looked over the blade and hilt with rising shock. She could know this sword anywhere, there was even the green strip of fabric tied around the hilt. It was HER sword, through and through.

"How?" she asked as Trunks took it back.

"You and Vegeta are named my godparents when I'm born," said Trunks, "And when you died, you left it to me."

"Vegeta and I are you godparents?" asked Katima, blinking.

"Your father must be Yamcha," said Goku, smirking.

Trunks shook his head, "You know a mere human couldn't be as strong as me," said Trunks, "My father is Rilan- I'm half Tygrian. It's rather weird to see him. He is killed in the battle as well, so I've never really met him," he smiled wistfully, "I can see the bond between him and my mother already. She talks about him so much."

"Wow," said Katima, "You know, I can see the similarity, now that you mention it."

"You can't tell them," said Trunks, "It could very well mess things up so that I'm never born."

"We understand," said Goku, "But what are we supposed to do?"

"You two might very well be what it takes to make sure those androids never destroy the world. You must be ready, train, you have three years after all," Trunks replied, "But do not underestimate their power. They make Frieza look like a weakling. It will be the strongest enemy that you will have ever face."

"Thank you for the warning and the medicine," said Goku, smiling, "We will do our best, I promise those androids will be taken care of."

"I have faith in you all," said Trunks, nodding, "Please, be careful. I have to return to my time now, but I'll be back."

"It was good to meet you," Katima said, "Travel safely!"

Trunks waved and took off into the sky, heading eastward until he was out of sight.

"What will we tell the others?" Katima asked.

"That we have some work to do," said Goku, smiling down at her.

*scene change*

Katima heard the yelling from down the hall.

"You'll make the machine, and you'll do it now!"

She sighed, recognizing that voice all too well.

It had been a week since Trunks' warning, and Katima and Goku had told the others of the androids, carefully leaving out how Trunks was Bulma and Rilan's son. Everyone had gone their separate ways to train, Krillin back to Master Roshi's, Goku and Gohan back to their home in the forest, Piccolo accompanying them, Tien and Chiaotzu to a secluded mountain range, and the rest returning to Bulma's estate. Katima was there now, and ran down the hallway to find that Vegeta had Bulma's father pinned to the wall in his lab.

"Vegeta!" Katima shouted, "What are you doing?"

Vegeta glanced back at her, "This fool thinks that us two can't handle four hundred times gravity, and refuses to make the machine in the ship go that high!"

Katima stared. Four hundred times gravity? Well she was glad that Vegeta had such faith in her and himself, but that sounded rather… painful.

"Um," Katima's eye twitched, "Maybe… maybe the Professor has a point? What if we hurt ourselves, I mean, what good would we be against the androids if we're injured?"

"It doesn't matter," snapped Vegeta, dropping the Professor but leering down at him, "If we don't train to our top potential, we won't even stand a chance! That kid said that they're several times stronger than Frieza! If Kakarot can handle a hundred times gravity, I can handle four hundred!"

"That's what this is about?" cried Katima, "Just your stupid rivalry with my brother? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"

Vegeta whirled to face her, face twisted in rage, "I WILL become a Super Saiyan! And if that means training to my body's extent, I'll do it!"

Katima sighed and went to the Professor to help him up, "You better just do what he says," she told him, "When Vegeta gets too agitated, shit hit's the fan."

The Professor sighed and nodded, the little black cat on his shoulder letting out a mew, "I suppose you are right," he said, "After all, you know him best."

Katima smiled at his words.

"Good!" snarled Vegeta, "Get to work!"

"Vegeta knock it off!" Katima whirled to face him again, "Damn it, your attitude is going to make my head pop! Come on, let's go train in the yard while we wait, the Professor can't work with you breathing down his neck."

Vegeta huffed angrily, but allowed her to lead him out of the lab. Katima was amazed how much being better than Goku truly meant to Vegeta. It was rather awkward for her, being caught in the middle like this. She had met her brother the same day as she met Vegeta, and knew that he was a kind hearted man, where the only ambition he had was to get stronger, not to best everyone, but to protect his family and friends. She liked her brother, but she also loved Vegeta.

Katima pushed it out of her mind as they exited the home. She didn't want to think about that now. They had three years to prepare, and it seemed like it wasn't even enough time.

Rilan and Lercron were already outside training. Katima watched as they brawled. It was obvious that Rilan was stronger, but Lercron seemed to be getting better as she watched. However her watching was cut short when a kick slammed into her back, making her crash to the ground.

"HEY!" she shouted, twisting around and looking up at Vegeta, "I wasn't ready!"

"Is that what you're going to tell the androids when they hit you?" Vegeta demanded, folding his arms, "You should always be ready!"

"Ass," hissed Katima, getting to her feet and rubbing her lower back, "If you wanted to play dirty, you could have just said so," she smiling slyly at him.

Vegeta blushed, and while he tried to figure out her words, Katima threw out a fist and landed a nice punch across his face.

They launched into an all out brawl then, tussling across the yard. Katima blocked a heavy blow from the right, swinging out a kick as she did so, but Vegeta jumped over it. Katima lost her balance slightly, which allowed Vegeta to get a hit in on her face. He laughed in his victory, but Katima cut it short by kneeing him in the stomach.

Rilan and Lercron bounced apart when she and Vegeta came tearing past. Katima blocked a kick, threw out a punch which Vegeta dodged. He twisted around, and Katima saw an elbow flying toward her face She ducked, and jumped up to push Vegeta's back, just playfully this time, to make him lose his balance and stumble.

"You're sloppy, my prince!" Katima taunted as he turned to face her.

Vegeta let out a hiss of annoyance and jumped at her. Katima blocked his punch with her arms crossed in front of her face. She threw them out to send Vegeta backwards, and leapt at him while his guard was down. However, Vegeta recovered quicker than she estimated, and sidestepped her attack, then grabbed her from behind, his arms twisting up under her own, and his hands locking behind her head.

Letting out a chuckle, Vegeta breathed in her ear, "Who's sloppy now?"

"You underestimate me," Katima rasped, and threw up heel, landing it square in his crotch.

Vegeta yelped in surprise and pain and let go of her. Katima scrambled away and turned to laugh at the prince clutching himself.

"Th-that was foul play!" he accused.

"And you kicking me in the back earlier wasn't?" asked Katima, "What are you going to tell the androids if they kick you in the nuts? That it wasn't fair?"

Vegeta grunted and stood, his eyes narrowed. He jumped at her, a roar on his lips. Katima smirked, and readied herself. Three years of grappling with Vegeta? She thought she could handle that.

*scene change*

"Katima?"

Rilan looked down at her sleeping form with irritation. He knew he was doing this for Bulma… but honestly… just because they were married didn't mean that he was her errand boy. He sighed, supposing that this was a little serious. He bent down and shook the Saiyan girl again.

"Katima!" he shouted.

Katima rolled over and blinked tiredly up at him.

"Vegeta? Oh. Rilan, hi," she rubbed her eyes, "What's up, it's not morning already?"

Rilan almost chuckled. She and Vegeta had been working to the bone the past two years in the Professor's ship with the gravity machine. Rilan went in every so often, but once he got to one hundred times gravity, he figured it was good enough. That was all Goku did, and he destroyed Frieza. Not to mention, he had slowly been discovering secrets to his powers.

Long ago, his father had told him that time was not the only thing that made a Tygrian's power to grow. He told him that finding purpose, that was, a purpose to keep living, to truly live, was another key to gaining strength. For the longest time, Rilan thought his purpose was overthrowing Frieza, but now, he knew otherwise. His purpose was Bulma. He had told her this the night of their wedding, when he lay with her in bed, the darkness wreathed about them.

"It's you," he had whispered to her, still tired from their encounter, "I never thought it could be a person. I always thought it would be an ideal."

Being married was interesting for Rilan. The concept wasn't on his home planet, nor on any others he had visited, but the thought of pledging his heart out had been appealing. Not to mention he had gotten to see Lercron in a suit, and since it was a family and friends only wedding, he had not been wearing his cloaking watch. It was a sight that Rilan would never forget.

Rilan forced himself back to the present. Yes, his new life with Bulma was amazing, but he didn't just share it with her. Katima and Vegeta had become like family too, and there problems were often his own.

"Bulma told me to let you know that Vegeta trained through the night," he said, face serious, "And that he… sort of broke the ship."

"What?" Katima jumped out of the bed, "Is he okay? Where is he?" she grabbed the front of his shirt, her blue eyes wild.

"Easy!" Rilan yelped, "He's pretty banged up- we have him in the infirmary."

Katima pushed him out of the way and tore out of the room into the hall. Rilan stumbled but caught his footing and shook his head. Why Katima cared so much about that prince he'll never understand.

*scene change*

Katima burst into the infirmary, her heart hammering. There he was. Vegeta, bandaged around the head, one arm in a sling, his face bruised and scuffed. He was unconscious, laying limply in the cot, a blanket tucked around him. Katima rushed forward and knelt beside him, angry tears in her eyes. Why was he so stubborn? They had reached three hundred times gravity yesterday, and that wasn't even enough for him to go and get some rest! No, he had to blow up the ship while trying to dodge his OWN attacks, and get himself into this state.

She reached forward and tenderly brushed his forehead with the back of her hand. He was running a fever.

"I tried to make him stop over the intercom, Katima."

Katima turned to see Bulma, looking at her with a worried face over a plump round belly, in which, Katima knew, resided Trunks.

"Yes, I know," said Katima, "Honestly, he hasn't even been listening to ME lately," she sighed and sat at the desk beside the bed, "I'm sure he'll be okay," she said, "But I'm going to wait here until he wakes up."

"I figured you would," Bulma smiled, "I'm honestly surprised that you two haven't married yet."

Katima blushed, "Vegeta isn't quite ready for that step," she said, smiling lightly, "You know how he is, I'm surprised that he's even let me kiss him in public."

Bulma chuckled and ran a hand over her belly, "I guess I should just be glad that Rilan isn't quite as closed off at your man is, despite both of them working for Frieza for so long."

"Rilan was undercover, though," said Katima.

"I suppose," Bulma glanced at the machine hooked up to Vegeta one more time, "His vitals look good, and with that medicine, his fever should break soon."

"Thanks for getting me," said Katima.

Bulma left the room, closing the door softly behind her. Katima rested her head on the desk, looking down at her prince's face. Yes, the past two years have been good, and her and Vegeta's relationship had bloomed. Humans would call them boyfriend and girlfriend, but if Katima ever referred to Vegeta as her "boyfriend" he would probably smack her, and visa versa. Both of them knew that what they had was different- more in depth than those silly words.

However, kissing was about how far they've gone. Any time that things seemed to heat up to get beyond that point, Vegeta would often shy off. Katima wasn't sure if she were ready for that either. Neither of them had done it before, so it was like uncharted lands.

Sleep overcame her before she even realized it. It was a blissful little rest, not bothered with dreams. Just a peaceful blackness, s break from her worries of Vegeta, of the androids, of her entire new life… It seemed like ever since she met Vegeta, there had been nothing but solid adventure and danger. In several ways, she loved it, but in others, she just wanted a break from it…

"Why are you here?"

Katima's eyes opened and she looked down at Vegeta, who stared up at her with exhaustion on his face.

"Hey," Katima smiled, still resting her head, looking down at his, "Feel better?"

Vegeta snorted and looked up at the ceiling, "You should be resting."

"Me?" Katima giggled and sat up, turning in the chair to face him fully, "You're the one who blew up a space ship."

Vegeta sighed, "I was careless," he muttered, "And now we're out of a training machine."

"Your fever must still be up," Katima laughed, "Never thought I'd hear you admit to being careless."

Vegeta sat up abruptly.

"Hey!" Katima jumped out of her chair and placed her hands on his chest to prevent him from getting up, "You need rest."

"I can't just sit back and quit!" shouted Vegeta, "If I don't become a Super Saiyan before the androids come… All of this will be pointless!"

"Vegeta," Katima gently grasped his face in her hands and made him look at her, "You have trained so hard. If you don't rest, you'll never become a Super Saiyan."

For a moment, she thought that he was actually going to listen to her. But his face twisted, "No!" he hissed and pushed her away, jumping out of the bed, "I can't just lay around! I can't!"

There was a blast of energy that knocked Katima off her feet, slamming her through the door and into the hall. When she recovered and managed to look up, she saw the window in the room was shattered, and a shape slowly flying away.

"Goddamn it," she hissed, getting to her feet and following suit.

At this rate, Vegeta was going to get himself killed!
♠ ♠ ♠
Yep. Trunks is still Bulma's kid, but not Vegeta's, Rilan is his father. An concept I hope you'll find works rather well!
Song for this chapter: Everything Is Alright by Motion City Soundtrack.