Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Heart's Beating

Rilan couldn't seem to keep his eyes from the adult version of his son. His child, his baby, that was him… The baby version of his son was back at Capsule Corp being babysat by Bulma's parents. His worries of Vegeta running off to play hero were still there, but he honestly just wanted to wait until they landed for that. Slowly, he made his way to the front of the ship where Trunks was, standing by his mother, speaking with her about the controls, asking questions.

"You sure seem interested in Capsule Corp," Bulma laughed, "Hey, Rilan, this kid is a little scholar!"

"Of course he is," said Rilan, loud enough for everyone to hear. If he knew that this boy was his son, so should Bulma, and everyone else, "He inherited it from you."

Bulma blinked, looking blank for a moment before looking at Trunks with wide eyes, "No way!" she began to smile, "Of course! You're Trunks! You're our little boy all grown up!"

"That's a trip," laughed Krillin, "Why didn't you say so kid?"

Trunks was looking shocked and embarrassed. He sighed and bowed his head, "I was afraid it would mess up the time line, but as things are going, it doesn't seem like that really matters at this point. Things are already screwed as it is."

"Oh, my little Trunks is going to grow up to a big, handsome man!" Bulma smiled widely, "Look at him, Rilan! Looks like he inherited my looks, I was afraid he'd get your geeky nose!"

"What?" Rilan turned red, "My nose is NOT geeky!"

The majority of the passengers laughed, excluding Vegeta and the two sick Saiyan siblings. Rilan sighed and sat down as the plane began to descend, the shock of the boy being his son slowly wearing off. Now he had another pressing matter to attend to.

Goku and Katima were placed upstairs in a guest room on cots that Roshi had pulled out of storage. Chichi instantly set up to keep vigil in there until the two recovered. Yamcha was going to fly to the nearest town to pick up some supplies, and was currently downstairs asking Bulma for a ride.

"Honestly, Yamcha, how lazy can you be?" Bulma asked, "You can fly on your own!"

"But I'm exhausted from nearly dying earlier!" whined Yamcha, "Come on Bulma- for old time's sake-"

"I hardly think Rilan will be okay with-" Bulma began as Rilan came down the stairs.

"No, it's okay, go," said Rilan, making his wife and Yamcha look at him in surprise.

"Rilan?" Krillin stepped forward, frowning at him.

"Really," said Rilan, just spotting Vegeta walking out the home, "Bulma, take Yamcha to get supplies- drop him off here, and then I want you to get back home."

"What?" Bulma scowled, "But-"

"If the androids come here," said Rilan, looking at her with narrowed eyes, "I want you away from it."

"You can't just protect me all the time, Rilan!" Bulma snapped.

"It's not just because I love you," Rilan grabbed both her hands in his, "You and your father are probably the only ones that can figure out a way to deactivate those things."

Bulma blinked and her expression softened, "Oh," she said, "Yeah… yeah I guess you're right."

"Vegeta?" Trunks was at the door, looking outside, "Where are you going?"

A faint voice answered him, "To finish this."

"On your own, are you insane?" Trunks called, running out the door, "Wait!"

Rilan looked around the room, "Krillin, Tien, Lercron, Piccolo, come with me and Trunks, there's no stopping Vegeta- so we're just going to have to help him," he kissed Bulma's forehead, "Please do ass I asked," he glanced at Yamcha, "You'll make sure she goes home?"

Yamcha swallowed and nodded, wide-eyed.

"I'm coming too," said Gohan, jumping down the steps.

"No," said Rilan, looking at the boy, "You need to stay here and protect your family. Understood?"

Gohan opened his mouth to argue, but seemed to think better of it.

"Yeah, okay," he sighed.

"Good," said Rilan, running to the door, "Wish us luck."

"You're going to get killed!"

Rilan looked back to see tears in Bulma's eyes. It was the first time that she seemed to reel in how dangerous this situation was.

"We have to try," Rilan said, "If anything, assess how strong they are. If I'm right, they'll feel like the time to kill us isn't worth it. It's Goku that they want," he bit his lip, "But I love you. And Trunks."

With that he ran out the door and launched into the sky after Vegeta and Trunks' fading outlines.

"Stars help us," Lercron muttered beside him.

Rilan glanced at him, "We need nothing from the stars," he said to his old friend, "They never helped us before. It wasn't until I landed on this ground that I felt at peace."

"So…" Lercron looked around, "Ground help us?"

Rilan chuckled, "Sure. Why the hell not."

*scene change*

Trunks looked ahead, his blue eyes narrowed. What was Vegeta playing at? He had no idea how strong these androids truly were. What they were doing right now was a suicide mission. This man was named his Godfather? How on Earth was he supposed to take care of Trunks?

The young hybrid boy sighed. His mother had told him much about Katima, and what good friends they had been. Bulma had believed that Vegeta would do almost anything Katima wanted- it was obvious how much he cared for her- Trunks had seen that in the plane. So supposing that Katima was there to be Godmother, maybe he wouldn't be too badly off.

Of course he wasn't planning on letting his parents die.

"Trunks!"

Trunks looked over his shoulder to see his father coming on fast. He had Lercron, Piccolo, Tien, and Krillin with him.

"There's no stopping Vegeta," said Rilan when he caught up, "We've come to help."

"This is repeating history," Trunks hissed, "Vegeta is going to get us all killed."

"We have you this time around," said Rilan, "You can ascend, can't you?"

"Of course," said Trunks, frowning, "How do you think I killed Frieza?"

"Right," Rilan nodded, "Okay, then we might stand a chance, with all of us together."

"We don't," said Trunks gravely, "You felt it for yourself, father. These androids… they are beyond strong."

"I have a feeling that Trunks' misgivings are right," said Piccolo, a heavy frown on his face, "That power we felt when they were unleashed… he wasn't even trying. This is beyond anything we've ever faced. This is going to make the battle with Frieza look like a tap dance."

"Nothing could make that look like a tap dance for me," Krillin muttered, "I died remember?"

"Look," said Tien, pointing forward, "Vegeta stopped."

Trunks faced forward again and saw Tien was right. Vegeta had stopped midair over a mountain pass, looking down at the road. Their group caught up to him just in time for him to bomb dive. Trunks looked down to see what he was aiming at and nearly yelped.

He knew Vegeta was heading back for Goku's home, intent to be there when the androids showed up. But it appeared that they were going to have to face them sooner rather than later. Down below, hanging out nonchalantly by a van pulled over on the highway, was Androids 16, 17, and 18.

"Come on," said Rilan, and shot downward.

Trunks gritted his teeth. The last time he faced the androids was in his own time. They had killed his mentor, Gohan, and that was when there was only two of them. Now, this Android 16 was there, and he didn't look like he was any weaker than the other two. In fact, he looked stronger. But Trunks stomached his fears. This time was not going to fall like his had. He wouldn't let it.

*scene change*

"Katima, wait, don't sit up just yet."

Katima blinked and leaned back down. The world was spinning around her, and she was in a cold sweat, soaked to the skin. Yamcha had a hand on her shoulder and was frowning at her thoughtfully.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Not great," Katima grunted, looking around the room, her eyes feeling warm in their sockets, "Where am I?"

"You're at Kame House," that was Chichi, and now she was over her too, her eyes worried, "You caught the virus and Vegeta took you to my home in the forest to get the antidote- he saved your life."

"Vegeta…" Katima wanted to sit up and look for him, but her body still felt weak, "Where is he?"

Chichi and Yamcha looked at one another, their face's grave.

Alarm swept through Katima's system, and she immediately accessed her bond with the prince. He was alive, and his emotions were set in determination, and there was that tell tale rage that he always got before he fought.

"He went to fight the androids," said Yamcha, and his grip on her shoulder tightened as if he expected her to leap up and fly out the window.

"But…" Katima closed her eyes, remembering Android 20, and how Rilan had been very effectively kicking the shit out of him, "Rilan didn't win?"

"Android 20 was actually Dr. Gero," said Yamcha, "He was the one who created the androids, and he apparently made himself into one as well. He had others waiting in his lab to be activated… much stronger ones."

Yamcha quickly gave Katima a recap of everything that had happened. How Trunks had returned from the future and said that it was androids 17 and 18 that were the two from his time. How so much had changed from Trunks' predictions.

"You actually recovered before Goku," said Chichi, glancing back at her husband laying on a cot on the other side of the room, "We think the virus is hitting him harder than you."

"Well, Vegeta did give her most of the medicine," said Yamcha, "We had to give Goku's to you and Gohan and even a little to myself so we wouldn't catch it. He didn't get as much as she did."

"Katima?"

A small body jumped onto her bed and little arms were hugging her. Katima yelped and couldn't quite muster the strength to pat Gohan's back properly.

"Kid, you're going to hurt her!" Yamcha said, yanking Gohan off the bed.

"I'm glad you're okay," Gohan said, eyes shining.

Katima smiled weakly, "Sure I am," she said, even though some part of her thought she wasn't out of the woods yet, "I hear that you're my body guard. What a trooper you are."

"Yeah, well," Gohan scowled, "I would have gone to help Vegeta and the others, but Rilan told me to stay and protect you guys."

"Good advice," said Katima, "We really need Goku."

"We need you too, Katima," said Yamcha, "You're a battle goddess, you sure were giving Gero a run for his money."

"Yeah," Katima let out a cough, "Goddamn virus… if I hadn't let it take me so quickly I could have killed him- prevented all this-"

"Stop it," scolded Chichi, "This is hardly your fault, Katima."

Katima sighed and relaxed into the pillowed again, "How long until I am back up and running again? They're gonna need my help-"

"You can't help anyone in your shape," said Yamcha, "Just stay in bed, and you'll get you're strength back."

Katima grunted in frustration. Vegeta didn't fight as well when she wasn't with him. Separate, they were powerful, together, they were a force that very little to stop. She liked to think that with their combined strength, they equaled Goku's.

Suddenly, she felt something through the bond. It was so strong, that she found herself yanked into his point of view, something that hadn't happened since Namek.

There was a beautiful girl standing over Vegeta, her hair blond and her eyes an icy blue. She stared down at him with one hand on her hip. Her clothing was rather torn up, but she looked unhurt. This must be 18.

"Saiyans," 18 sighed and tossed her hair, "I don't know Gero was so worried. I do hope Goku poses more of a challenge that you and your friends…"

Vegeta looked around at all the motionless bodies. Rilan handing on a guardrail by a highway street close by, Tien in a small crater, Piccolo on his face, Lercron not too far away, white hair matted in blood.

"NO!"

Trunks was there, baring his- Katima's- sword. He slashed it downward, his eyes on fire with fury. But 18 lifted her hand and blocked it. The tip of the blade shattered across her wrist and both Trunks and Katima let out yelps of surprise. Nothing bested that sword- nothing! It had even cut into Frieza himself! How? She didn't even bend with the blow!

18 swatted Trunks aside, and he crashed into the ground, what remained of his sword clattering away.

"Enough," a new voice came.

18 looked up to the road where two men stood, one shorter and good looking, a red scarf about his neck, the other extremely tall and hardened. These had to be 16 and 17.

"We've wasted enough time here," said the shorter one, 17, "We are supposed to be finding Goku, not playing with these amateurs."

18 shrugged and flew up to them. Krillin was up there, still standing, looking unharmed. Vegeta's mind supplied that he had been too scared to jump into the fight and stood up on the street, unable to do anything but watch. As the three androids passed him, they didn't really pay him any mind, all except for 18, who leaned down and planted a gentle kiss on his cheek, which made Krillin cringe.

Vegeta had reached his limit. His body was broken and beaten. 18 had destroyed him, and the world was blinking out around him. But the thing that hurt the most out of his entire body was his pride.

"Katima?"

Katima was thrown back into herself again and gasped for air as if she had been underwater.

"What happened?" Gohan asked.

Katima sat bolt up right and instantly grew dizzy. Yamcha pushed her back down.

"Hey, easy," he said, "Katima what did you see? Was it Vegeta?"

"Yes," said Katima, "The androids… they've beaten them- Rilan, Trunks- Vegeta- Vegeta!"

Katima had a sudden burst of energy and jumped out of the bed, pushing past Gohan, Chichi and Yamcha as if they were rag dolls and ran out of the room. She bolted downstairs, her heart beating rather slowly despite her adrenaline. Roshi looked up from where he was watching the exercise channel where several young beautiful girls were stretching in leotards.

"Katima?" Roshi blinked at her in confusion but Katima ripped out of the home before anything more could be said.

Vegeta. She had to get to Vegeta.

"Katima!" she heard her nephew calling, "Katima stop!"

Katima wasn't listening. She powered up to Super Saiyan and took off into the air. Her face was still hot with fever, and she found herself tearing off her over shirt to reduce the heat, leaving her in her sports bra, something Roshi would probably get a nosebleed over.

As she flew, she felt Vegeta's mind touch hers again. He was awake. Relief swept her, but Vegeta's emotions were dark. Hatred burned inside him, and his pride… it had been shattered. Katima faltered in her flying a bit, trying not to get consumed. It had been a long time since Vegeta's emotions were strong enough to sway her. This had truly hurt him.

Sensing life ahead, Katima slowed down and looked down at what she had seen through Vegeta's eyes. The mountain pass. She lowered herself to the ground where everyone was slowly gathering. Krillin had apparently handed out sensu beans. No had died, which was a miracle compared to what Katima had witnessed. She landed and went to Rilan and Lercron, who were both looking over their tarnished armor with frowns.

"Where's Vegeta?" Katima asked.

"Katima?" Rilan looked at her, "What are you doing here? You're still sick, I can see it."

"I'm fine," Katima snapped, "Where did Vegeta go? I feel he's awake."

The group all exchanged dark glances.

"Vegeta flew off," said Trunks, approaching her with a scowl on his face, examining his broken sword before him, "He seemed pretty mad."

"Don't worry," said Katima, "He won't be going after them again," she held out a hand and Trunks handed her the sword, a look of shame on his face.

She looked it over with a thoughtful frown, "I may be able to mend it," she told him, looking up.

"No," said Trunks, shaking his head, "That sword has kept me safe for all my life, but this… she can't take this. Something's wrong. These androids… they're stronger than the ones from my time."

"You're kidding," said Piccolo, eyes wide, "Stronger?"

"I was still weaker than the ones in my time," said Trunks, "But they never shattered my sword. These ones are at a whole new level."

"What else could go wrong?" sighed Lercron, glancing at Rilan, "What are we going to do?"

"I know what I'm going to do," said Piccolo, "I'll be back in a while. And hopefully…" there was a look of disgust on his face, "Hopefully it will be worth it."

He took off flying to the east. Katima and the others watched him go with frowns.

"What is he doing?" Katima asked.

Krillin slowly got a sly smirk on his face, "That's the direction of Kami's lookout," he said, "I think he's going to merge back with Kami."

"But…" Tien's eyes (all three of them) got big, "That will take away the Dragon Balls!"

"Desperate times call for desperate measures," said Rilan, shaking his head, "I need to get back to Capsule Corp. Trunks?"

Trunks looked at his father with curiosity.

"Perhaps you should stay with your parents for the time being," said Rilan.

Trunks smiled a bit, "Thank you," he said.

"I need to find Vegeta," said Katima, looking up at the sky, "I think I know where he is."

"You're not well," said Tien, looking at her feverish face, "Shouldn't you get back to Kame House and rest?"

"The only one that can pull Vegeta out of this is me," said Katima, looking at him, "I appreciate your concern. But I need to go to him alone."

"I wish you luck," said Rilan, "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

"I'm positive," said Katima, and jumped back up into the sky and began to fly toward where she could feel Vegeta's life source.

*scene change*

"You know of all the places you could go… I didn't expect this…"

Vegeta did not turn at the voice. He remained still, scowling out the window of the ancient tree home. The pain he felt inside was nothing compared to anything he had felt before. Bested by the androids- bested by that woman- swatted aside like a fly. It hadn't been like when Frieza had done it to him. When he fought that tyrant, a part of him knew that he was going to die.

But this…

He had been so sure… so sure that he would be able to defeat them. But instead… instead they made him look like a fool in front of everyone… Instead they pummeled him into the ground like he was a child. How could he, the Prince of all Siayans- a Super Saiyan- be defeated so easily? Super Saiyan was supposed to make him invincible! Was supposed to make him truly the most powerful warrior in the universe! So how- why- did this happen?

"You're not even going to say hi?"

Vegeta closed his eyes. Even in this pain, her voice seemed to soothe him. How was that?

"Why aren't you resting?" he said softly.

"You know why," said Katima, and a gentle hand touched his shoulder, "Vegeta…" she trailed off, and he could feel it through the bond.

There were no words she could offer him right now, she knew that, and she knew his exact emotions- exactly how he felt. Vegeta turned and nearly gasped at the sight of her. She was in a sports bra, and her jeans which she had armored herself for the fight, leather knee guards and patches. It had this rustic rogue look, and the way she looked at him, her blue eyes, though bright from her receding fever, deep like pools, and her look said everything her mouth couldn't. As he looked at her, she powered down from Super Saiyan, her hair flitting back to black and laying down upon her scalp.

"I'll never fully understand you," Vegeta said to her, "Why you just keep coming back."

Katima smiled lightly and cupped a hand on his cheek, "I can see your heart beating, Vegeta," she said softly, and touched his breastplate, "I can see it right through your chest."

"I'm not sure I know what that means," Vegeta admitted lamely, his face growing warm.

"You don't have to," said Katima, and her mouth met his.

*scene change*

The way things began to escalate took Katima by surprise.

It began with a kiss, just a simple one that they had often did, then it began to heat up. She found that her mouth did not want to leave his, and that they way he clung to her was… different. Like a necessity. Katima only released her hold on his face long enough to help him pull the torso of his armor off, and then the kissing continued. They clumsily made their way through the tree home, unable to keep their lips from each other. Katima's legs found the edge of the bed that they had so often fought over during their year in the forest.

Together, they toppled onto it. Katima heard two thumps as Vegeta kicked off his boots. The jumpsuit would have taken too long to pull off, so Katima just began ripping, exposing his bare, muscular chest which glistened with sweat. Vegeta's hands went down and began to help her unlace all the leather she had armored her jeans with. She had no idea how he did it while continuously kissing her, but it was amazing maneuvering. Katima quickly registered in her mind that Vegeta was an amazing tactician on the battle field- why should he be in bed?

And it was then that it really hit her.

This was it.

It was going to happen.

"Vegeta," she managed to hiss between a kiss, making him pause.

They were both panting, and he looked into her eyes, fire in his own, as if it pained him to stop.

"Vegeta, are you sure?" Katima wasn't even sure why she was asking the question.

She wanted this. Badly. She wanted it more than anything. But… A replay of what happened after their first real kiss was in her mind, how Vegeta had repelled for a time. She did not want that to happen again.

"What do you mean?" Vegeta breathed, gazing at her with confusion interrupted the fire in his eyes.

"Do…" Katima found it difficult to speak with his body pressing to hers, flesh on flesh, "Do you want this? Do you want me?"

Vegeta gazed down at her, and Katima saw that inner turmoil hit. That battle that began in his mind when faced with his true feelings for her. For a moment, she just wanted to start kissing again to stop him from answering, for fear of him saying no.

But Vegeta decided to amaze her.

"Yes," he breathed, and began kissing her again.

Katima didn't know how long it lasted. This being her first time, she thought that it was going to be painful or uncomfortable. But her and Vegeta seemed to fit like puzzle pieces. Maybe it was a Saiyan thing, but it was all intoxicating, all heat and power. She never knew her body could experience such pleasure, and not just that, but her mind…

With the bond, she not only was experiencing her own heady emotions, but Vegeta's as well. It poured into her like a river, and she found that she never wanted this to end. The way his body felt, the rhythm of their movements, the passion that spilled from both of their minds, colliding together and becoming one. It was like they were sharing one mind, like she could truly feel Vegeta full for the first time. He was her everything, flashing all around her like lights and moonbeams.

When they were done, they lay in each other's arms. Katima had never felt Vegeta so calm. His muscles were all molten, like when he slept. It was also the first time that Vegeta actually held her. There were those times when they kissed but this… this was different. He held her to his chest and she lay her head there, listening to the steady thrum of his heartbeat. It was soothing, like a lullaby. They didn't speak. All that needed to be said came through the bond.

Katima wasn't sure if hours past, or days. All she knew was that in that time in the tree house, all her worries had been forgotten. It had just been her and Vegeta and they had created their own world, in which there was nothing but peace.

"You know," Katima sighed at last, looking up at him, but still keeping her head on his chest, "I bet the others are wondering where we are."

"Let them wonder," scoffed Vegeta, smirking at her.

Katima giggled and reached up to cup his cheek in her hand, "So," she said, smiling, "Does this make me the Princess of all Saiyans?"

Vegeta chuckled, "We just need a kingdom."

"No, you can't take over Earth," Katima scolded.

"I never said take over…" said Vegeta, "One country would surely do- that music you listen to- it's from Irickland, right?"

"Ireland, my prince," said Katima, sitting up and smiling at him, "And no- Ireland is perfect the way it is. I'll have to take you there some time."

"If we kill these androids," said Vegeta, his face falling.

And just like that, the world slammed back into them. The androids. If something wasn't done, it would mean the end of everything. No more moments like these with Vegeta ever again.

No. Katima wasn't going to let that happen.

"We need to go," Vegeta slid out of the bed, all business once again.

As Katima flew with him back toward Kame House, she wondered vaguely about the strange chin of events taking place before her. How the androids kicking Vegeta's ass made it so she and him finally had sex with each other was beyond her. Not that she was complaining. But something was different now between them.

No longer was there that ever existent block that seemed to keep Vegeta from her. The walls were down now, and Vegeta flew close enough to touch. It was like a switch was hit. Katima looked across the ocean below them and just hoped that she would get to explore this newness about him. Killing the androids, however, was going to have to come first.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this Chapter: Always by Panic! at the Disco