Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

The Cell Games Begin

Katima blinked awake to stare up at a white ceiling. Pain was making her body throb, and she could hear voices.

“…amazing that she didn’t break anything let alone survive that fall… she must be made of steel!”

“Do you have the test results back?”

“Not quite.”

Katima sat up. She was in a hospital. Her head spun and throbbed, and she reached up to touch her stinging cheek. There was a bandage there, and it felt wet with blood. She sighed and shut her eyes. How could she have let herself be so stupid? The chain of events that led up to this was all preventable. Why couldn’t she have just seen it from the gate?

She should have just stayed the night at Goku’s…

“Sir! Sir, you can’t just march in here-” Katima heard a stressed voice call from the hall way.

“Get your hands off of me!” snapped a familiar voice, “Where’s her room? Tell me or I’ll start blasting this place apart!”

That voice made Katima jump out of the bed she was in and go to the doorway.

“Ma’am!” a nurse outside her door yelped when she saw her, “Ma’am, you should be resting.”

“I’m fine,” said Katima, touching her bandaged cheek.

“Katima!” the voice shouted from down the hall, “KATIMA!”

“Ma’am, please, get back to your bed,” pleaded the nurse, looking uneasily down the hall toward the voice, “We have a troublesome guest and-”

“He’s my boyfriend,” said Katima bluntly, “Thank you all for patching me up, but I have a tournament to prepare for.”

“Katima!” Vegeta appeared at the end of the hall, and he froze when he spotted her.

The look in his eyes… It was like Katima had never seen before. It was pain. She could feel it through the bond, pain and guilt, fury and rage.

“Katima…” he breathed, and rushed forward.

He knocked the breath out of her when he lifted her in a hug, burying his head in her shoulder. Katima hugged him back, amazed at the passion he was displaying. He didn’t speak, but just picked her up and went to the nearest window, kicked it in, and flew out with her. Katima closed her eyes, resting on his chest. How did she feel about the past night? That it was her own fault that she had gotten the new scar on her face. She had been the one to run off and decide that partying was the best thing to do to forget.

But she knew… she knew Vegeta felt like it was his fault.

He took her to secluded mountain top, where he set her down delicately and looked at her face with shame in his eyes. He touched the bandage on her cheek gently.

“I should have been there,” he whispered.

Katima shook her head, avoiding his gaze, “Don’t. It was my own fault. I ran off… got myself into trouble…”

“Stop that,” snapped Vegeta, grabbing her chin and making him look at her, “You’re not allowed to take responsibility for this one. Not this time. Can I…?”

He touched her bandage.

Katima nodded and he gently took it off.

When he saw it, his eyes darkened. He stepped back and shook his head, turning around and bowing his head, fists clenched. Katima knew. It was the first letter of his name. It was to always remind him about what he did, Cell said so himself.

“Vegeta this isn’t your fault,” Katima said softly.

Vegeta began to shake. He suddenly lifted his head and screamed up to the sky, bursting into Super Saiyan form, even going into the next step as Super Vegeta. He kept screaming, the mountain shaking under them and beginning to crumble.

Katima just watched. This was more than the scar. Vegeta was just now admitting to himself something that he had been avoiding for four years- five including their time in the time chamber. This was the hardest battle he had ever fought, going on within himself. Devastation pulsed through the bond, and Katima felt sorrow swell in her heart.

Was it truly so painful for him?

Finally, Vegeta calmed down. He went back to normal, and stared down at the forest below in silence. There was a steady resolve coming from him now. Slowly, he turned, and stared at her, fire in his dark eyes. He went to her, and gently touched the wound on her face with his thumb.

“I’m so sorry,” he breathed.

Katima stared. It was the first time she had ever felt Vegeta say he was sorry about anything.

“I promise…” Vegeta murmured, “That he will pay. I will tear him apart with my own hands.”

He looked away for a moment, and then back at her, “Our… our daughter told me something. That when you died- I changed. The man in her time didn’t know what he had until it was gone. I don’t want to be that man,” he grabbed her hands and squeezed firmly, “I want you to know… that you are the reason that I push myself so hard. That you are the reason I keep going. Katima…” he closed his eyes for a moment and then opened them, “I… I love you.”

The world seemed to rock. Katima gazed at him, her heart beginning to pick up into over drive. He said it… he actually said it- and he meant it- she could feel it- feel it through the bond, see it in his eyes.

Katima felt tears flood forth, and she threw her arms around him. This moment- this feeling- it was everything… She clung to Vegeta, as if terrified he was going to vanish.

“I love you too, Vegeta,” she said in his ear, “Always.”

In that moment, nothing in the world mattered. Their relationship- so rocky and patchy over so many years, was finally sealed. All that mattered was that they had each other. The walls between them were gone. And for once, pure and unfaltering love pulsated from them both through the bond.

Katima almost laughed. Cell had actually done her a favor- it was true. But what he didn’t realize was that now that their status was solid… they would be more powerful than ever before.

*scene change*

Sykaima landed at the lookout, spotting Kakarot and her cousin, Gohan, as well as Piccolo, Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, Trunks, Rilan, and even Lercron in his human form.

"Sykaima," Kakarot smiled when he saw her, and Sykaima nodded at him respectfully.

"Where's your parents?" asked Krillin.

"They're already at the stage," said Sykaima, "But don't worry- Cell won't start until all his challengers are present."

"Are you nervous?" Gohan asked her, stepping forward.

Sykaima felt strange being taller than her cousin. In her time Gohan was several years older than her.

"I'd like to tell you no," said Sykaima, "But it's never been in my book to lie."

Gohan smiled, "Well I'm glad I'm not the only one."

He was wearing the same type of armor as Piccolo, the large shoulder pads and the billowing white cape, with a dark blue jumper beneath. His hair, like hers, spiky and blond with the power of Super Saiyan.

"It's been a long time training," said Piccolo, stepping forward and smiling at her. They had grown close friends in the time chamber. Despite how Sykaima was stronger than him, he had taught her a lot. The Namekian was a battle genius, "And you're going to go in those clothes?"

Sykaima looked down at herself. She was back in what she had been wearing her first day in this time.

"It reminds me of home," said Sykaima, "Of what I'm fighting for," against her will her eyes traveled to Trunks, who blushed and looked away.

She had barely seen him since the first time they met, when she had broken down just at the sight of his face… The last time she had seen it, the Trunks from her time had been screaming for her to run while Cell advanced…

"Well it's hardly in the department of protective," Bulma stepped forward, holding baby Trunks in her arms and smiling, "I made you an armor like your mothers- but a bit more modest for your age," she winked, "How about it? You could wear the jacket over it."

Sykaima considered and then nodded. Her armor was like her mother's, but instead of a skirt, she had pants that were layered with the silver armor. She pulled her hoody on over it, and from the pocket took a thin strip of blue fabric. It was from Trunks' jacket from her time. It was all she had left of him. She tied it around her forehead, and smiled at Bulma.

To her surprise, Bulma set her babe down and hugged her.

"It means a lot to me that you cared so much for my son," she said softly in her ear, "I'm glad he chose the daughter of my best friend to be his girl."

"Thank you Bulma," said Sykaima, smiling widely.

"Are we all ready?" asked Kakarot, holding out an arm, "I'll take us all there."

"Good luck guys!"

A tiny Namekian boy rushed out, smiling widely. He had a large staff that used to belong to Kami in his hand, and Mr. Popo was just behind him. This was Dende, the young Namekian that Gohan, Krillin, and Katima had befriended back on Namek. Since Cell had already killed so many innocent people, Goku had gone to the new planet Namek to ask if one of them could become the new Guardian of Earth and create a new set of Dragon Balls. Dende had been chosen, and with his brilliant young mind, he had remade the Dragon Balls, new and improved. The Dragon could now grant two wishes instead of just one, and revive entire populations. However, it still couldn't revive someone who had already been killed. Only the Namekian dragon, Purunga had that power.

Goku was planning on wishing everyone that Cell and the androids killed back to life once the tournament was over and they had defeated Cell. Dende was young, but Sykaima had a feeling that he would make a great Guardian.

"Be careful!" Bulma called, "We'll all be watching the television!"

Gohan grabbed his father's hand, and a chain went on from there, so that everyone was connected to Kakarot. Sykaima was the last to join, and it was Trunks who offered her his hand and smiled shyly. Sykaima hesitated for a moment, and then grinned back and took it.

And the lookout vanished.

*scene change*

Katima landed beside Vegeta, and he wrapped his arm protectively around her shoulders. The stage stretched out before them, made of slabs of white stone, with pillars on all four corners. It was raised about two feet off the ground, and they made sure to keep out of the ring. They did not want to give Cell, who stood in the center of the stage, any excuses to start attacking them. They had prepared the best they could, even coming to a level that surpassed what they had achieved before- it had just as much power, but it took away the lack of speed and agility that the bulky muscles had given them.

Yet still, Katima was terrified that they were going to lose this fight today. But they were there to fight, and that is what they would do.

"I must say, Katima," Cell called to her, "You look ravishing, even despite that awful scar on your face."

"You shut your mouth, Cell," Vegeta growled, "I'm going to make you pay for what you did, and you won't be laughing then."

"Forgive me if I don't tremble," scoffed Cell.

Vegeta growled in annoyance but Katima kissed his cheek, "Don't let him bother you. I thought you said scars on women were sexy."

Vegeta shook his head, and Katima could tell he was trying not to smile, "Now isn't exactly the time, Katima."

She giggled, and looked around the barren valley they were in. "I think we're the first one's here."

"Wrong," Vegeta gestured across the ring.

On the other side, looking extremely nervous, was a small news crew that consisted of a camera man and a news caster. The camera man was facing them, and while Vegeta lifted his hand to block his face Katima waved and winked. She saw the camera man blush and Vegeta glared at her.

"Sorry, I was winking to the audience," she laughed.

Vegeta sighed. She could tell he was frustrated with how light hearted she was. But she couldn't help it. They had spent two beautiful years in the time chamber, and she got to explore all of what it was like to have Vegeta truly loving her back. She was the happiest she had ever been- the world in peril or not.

A plane suddenly blared overhead, and landed near the news crew. It opened slowly, and out stepped a large man with a handlebar mustache and a black afro. He was in a brown shirt and sweatpants, and a white cape with a high collar around his neck.

"Who is that?" Katima asked.

"WHAT is that?" Vegeta muttered.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it's Hercule Satan!" the news caster exclaimed to the camera and pointing at the man with great enthusiasm, "Mr. Satan! You've come to save the world just like you promised! Do you think you can defeat Cell?"

"Beat him?" Hercule flexed his arms and let out a hardy laugh, "I'm going to wipe the floor with him! Ye hear that, Cell? I've come to teach you what happens when you mess with my planet!"

"Can you sense his power level?" asked Katima, narrowing her eyes.

Vegeta snorted, "No."

"Yeah, didn't think so," Katima smirked.

Cell didn't respond to the man, merely keeping his arms folded and his eyes closed, as if meditating.

"Look at him, he's paralyzed in fear!" cried the news caster.

"Humans are so stupid," sighed Vegeta.

"Give them credit," Katima nudged him with her elbow, "He might be the strongest human alive! Other than Krillin… and Tien…" she considered for a moment, "And yeah, I think Yamcha's power level is a bit higher than zero."

Vegeta chuckled.

"Who's that over there?" Hercule pointed toward them.

"Ooh- you think he's going to wipe the floor with us too, Vegeta?" asked Katima.

"Other contesters, Mr. Satan, sir," said the news caster, "They arrived here a little before yourself, I believe one is the girl Cell had on the television."

"Worry not!" Hercule called to them, "The World Champion is here! I will avenge what this monster did to you, little lady!"

"Just stay quiet and maybe he'll stop talking," Katima muttered.

"I know a better way to make him stop talking," growled Vegeta.

Katima smacked his arm.

"I, the great Hercule Satan- shall save the day and avenge the beautiful young lady from distress!" Hercule exclaimed to the camera, "Cell has met his match! His days of terrorizing the Earth, are OVER!" he pointed dramatically back at Cell, and let out that hardy laugh again.

"Is this guy for real?" Katima laughed.

"I'm not sure, but if he calls you beautiful again I'm going rearrange his face," snapped Vegeta.

Quite suddenly, a group appeared beside them. Katima looked over and smiled. It was Goku and the others. He had just taken them there by instant transmission. Katima spotted Sykaima and left Vegeta's side to greet her.

"Are you ready?" she asked after hugging her.

"I could never be ready for this," said Sykaima, looking back at Cell, "But it's my last chance. I came back to change a dark future from happening. I'm sticking to that goal."

"I'm very proud of you," said Katima, smiling at her, "You are a strong and beautiful young girl. You're so much like your father," she smiled, "All the good parts, I mean."

Sykaima smiled in amusement, "I earned a good bit of my mother too. I'm so glad to see you again- you and dad."

Katima nodded, "Whatever happens, know we love you. I look forward to the day you're born."

"Hey, Katima!" Goku grinned at her as he approached. Katima still wasn't used to seeing him in Super Saiyan form all the time, "Why didn't you guys meet us at the lookout? Dende really wanted to see you."

"Vegeta wanted to get here first," said Katima quietly, "You know how he is."

"Well I hope he doesn't want to fight first," Rilan stepped forward, "Because I have dibs on that."

"I don't think so, Rilan," said Goku, turning to face him, "I'm afraid I'm going first. I need to face him, it's my fault he was ever even created."

"I knew it," said Trunks, stepping forward, "You DO have a plan!"

Goku merely smiled.

"Gohan," Katima called to her nephew, "That outfit looks great on you!"

Gohan smiled, fiddling with his cape, "Piccolo gave it to me!" he said proudly.

"I would have never guessed," Katima winked at Piccolo who closed his eyes and smiled.

"We're gonna let you big fighters do all the fighting," said Krillin, "We would get creamed. We're really just here to watch."

"Good," Vegeta said, approaching the group slowly, "You would just get in the way."

"Gee, thanks Vegeta," Yamcha rolled his eyes, "Awesome vote of confidence."

Katima chuckled. Though her and Vegeta's relationship was smooth, he was still rough as a porcupine with everyone else.

"It's time."

They all stopped talking and looked toward the ring. Cell had opened his eyes and was looking at them, "The tournament begins. Who goes first?"

Hercule hopped up onto stage, smirking, "Ready to die, Cell?"

"No- Mr. Satan," Goku called, "If you fight against Cell, you're going to get killed!"

So even Goku knew who this joke was.

Hercule and the news caster exchanged a look and then began to laugh. The news caster looked at the camera guy and said, "Get a close up of the guy with the big hair."

The camera turned toward them.

"This man just had the nerve to tell Mr. Satan to back down from the fight! As if there was a chance that our Champion could be defeated! Sir, what gives you the right?"

Goku looked distraught, "Cell isn't human," he said, "And- uh- while I'm sure Mr. Satan could defeat any normal threat- Cell is- unique- and-"

"Enough," laughed Hercule, "Alien or not, I'm going to destroy this freak of nature with my bare hands!"

"Hold everything!"

This voice came from a megaphone, and Katima and the others looked up to see a bright pink plane hovering above them, decked out in brilliant lights that outlined the names "PEROSKI" and "CARONI".

"What the hell is that?" Vegeta asked.

"My guess?" Krillin said, "More stupid."

"Could it be?" the news caster cried, "It's Mr. Satan's famous pupils!"

Out of the plane jumped a large man in a leotard and wearing a strange mask. After him leapt a beautiful blond man in a white rocker outfit and a rose in his mouth.

"I am Peroski!" yowled the larger man, "The man with the strength of ten rhinos!"

"And I'm Caroni," said the other man in a dreamy voice that reminded Katima strongly of Zevron back on Namek, "The beautiful and lithe fighter."

Katima sighed and shook her head, "This is ridiculous," she muttered, "How many idiots are showing up today?"

"Don't forget about me!" a beautiful woman hopped out of the plane next, and Peroski caught her and set her down gently, "The gorgeous assistant of Mr. Satan himself!"

"Master, let us handle this," said Peroski, to Mr. Satan, "You don't have to dirty your hands by fighting such an amateur."

"It would be embarrassing to fight such a weakling," Mr. Satan nodded, "All yours boys."

"My dear lady," it took Katima a moment to notice that Caroni was talking to her, "I will not let this freak get away with scarring such a beautiful face."

"Back off," Vegeta snapped.

Caroni smirked at him, "Sorry, little man, but I'm afraid she is way out of your league, why don't you ditch the loser and come with me, darling? I'll even protect you like a real man would."

"I don't need anyone to protect me," Katima growled, "And if you don't start fighting, I'll knock you out before Cell even gets the chance to."

Caroni stared at her for a moment, seeming at a loss of what to say. Vegeta smirked and tossed an arm around her shoulders.

"I see we're all serious here," he drawled, "Very well."

"I will go first, Caroni," Peroski declared, stomping forward.

"This should be good," said Yamcha snidely.

Katima smirked and watched as everyone left the stage except Peroski and Cell. It wasn't a long battle.

Peroski charged, obviously planning on tackling Cell with his huge body, but as soon as he was close enough, Cell practically slapped him out of the arena. Peroski landed with a huge thud outside of the ring, and Hercule, Caroni, the assistant, and the news crew, all stared in aw at their fallen comrade. Peroski got shakily to his feet, and stumbled back toward them.

Rilan laughed, "These guys are ridiculous, is this the comedy opening to the real show, or what?"

"Bad luck, Peroski," cooed Caroni, "Allow me to take care of the big bully for you."

Caroni actually lasted longer than Peroski, but only because he danced as he came at Cell and tossed Katima his rose. As it sailed toward her Vegeta shot it with a small beam and it fell to the ground on fire.

Caroni slowly began to swing a punch, and Katima thought that even a child could beat this guy in a fight at his speed. Cell blocked it easily by snatching his fist, and he then twisted around and threw him our of the arena. Caroni hit the ground and Peroski and the assistant ran toward him where he stumbled to his feet, and spat out a few teeth.

"No more good looks for him," Lercron chuckled, "I suppose I could let him borrow my hologram device."

"To a loser like that?" Rilan scoffed, "Bulma would kill you."

This got a laugh out of Trunks.

"You guys are a bunch of weaklings!" Hercule cried, his face twisted in outrage, "How could you fail me like this? You will be LUCKY if I teach you ever again!"

"We're sorry, master," Peroski cooed, "He is just too strong-"

"Too strong?" Hercule let out that famous laugh again, "Don't be ridiculous. I'm going to take him down without even breaking a sweat!"

"Cell!" Katima called, which made everyone look at her like she was crazy.

Cell glanced back at her, one eyebrow cocked.

"If you don't kick his ass, I will," Katima smiled.

Cell smiled back, and there was a weird sort of menace in his eyes.

"Zoom in on that girl!" the news caster demanded of the camera man, "This is the woman that Cell scarred on national television just days ago, and now, she's rooting for CELL to defeat Mr. Satan!"

"Because he's an over confident ass," Katima snarled, "Cell has killed thousands of people, he can FLY, he can shoot ENERGY BEAMS and he can TRANSFORM. What on EARTH makes you think you can defeat him, Hercule? You're signing your own death contract!"

"Ha!" Hercule bellowed, "Those are just tricks! Smoke and mirrors! I'm world champion, sweet cheeks! But I am very touched that you're concerned about me."

"Concern-" Katima felt rage spike in her and as she jumped up to fly across and attack Hercule herself, Goku, Gohan, and Sykaima grabbed her to prevent her from doing so, "I'LL SHOW YOU CONCERN YOU ARROGANT LITTLE-"

"Look!" Hercule pointed at her, "The ladies just can't keep away from me!"

Katima let out a scream of rage and struggled fiercely against her brother , daughter, and nephew, "Let me go! I'll only hit him once- that's all that it will take-"

"Katima," Goku hissed, "This isn't the time!"

"Now's the perfect time!" Katima argued, "I won't kill him- I'll only break his legs-"

"You've been around Vegeta too much," Krillin muttered.

Katima was about to power up to Super Saiyan just to go and kick that smug smirk off Hercule's face, but then Vegeta spoke.

"Katima."

She stopped struggling and turned to see him standing a few feet away, arms crossed and a brooding look on his face.

"Just let Cell take care of him," Vegeta said, and smirked, "I'm sure it will be far more entertaining. Besides, we don't need the world thinking you're an evil villain by attacking their champion."

Katima sighed and stopped moving. Goku and Gohan slowly let go, but they remained flanking her, as if frightened she might pounce again.

Hercule stepped up onto the stage and threw off his cape. Around his waist was a huge WORLD CHAMPION belt, and he placed his fists on his hips and smiled at Cell.

"Are you ready to face defeat?" Hercule cried.

"Cell, don't kill him!" Goku called, "Your fight is with us!"

"We can just wish him back, Goku," said Katima quietly, "I mean come on-"

"Man you REALLY have been around Vegeta too much!" Rilan laughed.

Katima turned and saw Vegeta smirking, but his eyes were on Cell.

Hercule charged forward, letting out a fierce battle cry. He slammed a fist into Cell's face, but Cell didn't even move. His flesh didn't even buckle under Hercule's knuckles. Hercule stared in shock for a moment, but then began to punch every part of Cell that he could reach. Cell stood there, an indifferent look on his face, and the newscaster belted out praise.

"Look at that speed! That determination! Cell can't even make a move! He's rendered him completely immobile!"

"Why are humans such idiots?" scoffed Vegeta.

"HEY!" Krillin and Yamcha snapped.

"Like I said, idiots," Vegeta smirked.

Hercule was still throwing punches and kicks as fast as he could, and Katima had to admit, for the average human, he was fast. Cell let out a sigh, and lashed out an arm. It literally looked like he bitch slapped Hercule, and the man was sent flying away, screaming, until he slammed into the side of a mountain in the distance, where there was a small puff of dust.

"To be honest, I was rooting for Cell on that one," Krillin muttered.

"Is he dead?" Tien asked, a look of mild horror on his face.

"No," said Gohan, "I can still sense his life force."

"Damn," sighed Katima, which got her several glares, "What?" she cried.

"Theatrics are over," Cell snarled, turning to face them, "Who will go first?"

Katima was about to jump forward. She had fully prepared her speech of since Vegeta and her were bonded that they would get to fight him together and still be counted as a single opponent. She wanted revenge of what had been done- to the earth, to her face, and to Vegeta. His pain the past nine days had been all that she could feel, and even though they could share true love between one another at last, it was difficult to see that look in his eyes.

But it was Goku who hopped onto the stage.

"Ah, Goku," Cell smiled, "Why am I not surprised? No matter. It is you that I wish to fight. Might as well start with the end."

Goku smiled at Cell, "You're going to be really surprised, Cell," he said, "I have more than a few tricks up my sleeve."

"For your sake, I hope you're right," said Cell, "I would hate for the fight to get boring and make me end it quickly."

"Goku," Katima went to the edge of the stage, "Goku, let me-"

"No, Katima," snapped Goku, looking down at her with hard eyes, "Cell had already hurt you enough. It's my turn."

Katima sighed and stepped back. Sykaima came to her side and looked at her, "Why would you offer to go first?" she asked.

Katima narrowed her eyes as Goku and Cell squared off, "Because when your father and I are together, we're unstoppable."
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: Arms by Christina Perri
Gotta love Hercule, probably one of the best comic relief character that DBZ has created.