Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Goku Gives Up

The fight was more intense than Sykaima could have imagined. It was pure and raw power on both sides. Cell was as strong as she remembered from her time, but Kakarot was keeping up on his end. An occasional glance at the news crew told her that they were shocked into silence at how Cell and Kakarot kept jumping, flying, and throwing out punches and kicks that the untrained eye could barely keep up with.

At one point, Cell had Kakarot on the ropes, throwing wicked punch after wicked punch, which Goku blocked, but it was slowly pressing him toward the edge of the ring.

"The edge, Goku!" Krillin called.

"It looks like Cell's in control," hissed Tien.

"Their powers appear to be equal," Android 16 spoke for the first time, his eyes narrowed toward the fight.

"I don't understand," hissed Gohan, looking frustrated as Kakarot was pushed further and further toward them.

"What, Gohan?" asked Krillin.

"I don't know why my dad isn't taking this seriously," sighed Gohan.

"You mean he's not using his full strength?" Rilan hissed, "This is… just a warm up?"

Kakarot was right at the edge before them, and his guard was broken. Cell lifted his fist for the final punch, but his blow went right through Kakarot. After image.

Cell was mere feet in front Sykaima, and she felt a spike of fear hit here when he smiled at her. She felt a hand close around her arm and pull her back and turned to see Trunks at her side, glaring Cell down. His hair was almost shoulder length from all his time in the time chamber, and he had a fierce look on his face. Sykaima felt her heart throb at his protectiveness. He was not the same as her Trunks, but he might as well be. The attitude, the righteousness about him….

Cell turned, chuckling, to face Kakarot who was now in the middle of the ring.

"I think that was a good enough warm up," he said.

Kakarot smirked, "You want to get serious now, huh? Okay… sounds good."

Kakarot planted his feet firmly in the ground and clenched his fists. With a mighty roar, he began to power up. Sykaima took a step back in amazement as her uncle's power level began to skyrocket. Wind brought up by the sheer force of his power began to blast, and Trunks placed his arms protectively around Sykaima as they lifted their arms to shield their faces.

Kakarot slowly stopped screaming, and the blast stopped. Sykaima looked up slowly and let out a gasp. Kakarot had surpassed the ordinary level of Super Saiyan. He was ten times stronger now, and his face was rock solid seriousness. He stared at Cell, who stared back in mild shock.

Good.

If Cell was worried, that meant that things were going well for them.

The fight started again, and this time, the raw power of each blow sent quakes in the Earth. On and on they brawled, high up in the air, down to the stage floor, and now, energy beams were beginning to fly.

"This stage is beginning to annoy me," Cell declared at one moment, "I'm tired of its confining area. I'm making a change in the rules," he aimed a hand down and Sykaima's eyes widened.

"MOVE!" Rilan cried.

They all bailed, flying away from the stage just in time for Cell to send a huge blast of power down to reduce what had been his arena to a crater.

"Oh no," Sykaima said, "The news crew!"

"No, it's okay," said Trunks, "Look!"

Across the way, Sykaima could make out Android 16 standing up from where he had placed all of the people that had been on the other side of the stage.

"Did he save that Hercule guy?" Katima asked.

Sykaima looked for his afro and spotted it, "Yeah, don't worry, he's okay."

"Goddamn it."

"KATIMA!" cried Krillin.

"What?" Katima hissed, "Dragon Balls people- we could wish him back!"

"Cell!" Kakarot yelled, "This is between me and you! If you didn't want to use the stage anymore you could have just said so, not blown it up where my friends were!"

"Just keeping them on their toes, Goku," Cell smirked.

Kakarot let out an angry battle cry and rushed forward again.

Now sitting atop a small mountain, the group watched as the two brawled across the landscape, leaving a path of destruction in their wake.

"Their speed is incredible!" said Yamcha, "I can barely keep up!"

16 rejoined them, and he looked troubled, "There is a problem," he said in his monotone voice, "Goku's power signature is failing."

"What?" Piccolo hissed.

"It means Goku's losing," said Katima, a hard look coming to her face.

"Correct," said 16, "Cell is stronger."

"Gohan," Sykaima turned to her cousin, "Is your dad really trying now?"

Gohan looked troubled as well, "He's at his top," he said.

"Crap," hissed Rilan, "If Cell's stronger than Goku…"

At that point Kakarot was sent sailing past them and landed in the ground, creating a small crater.

"Goku!" Krillin called, rushing to the edge so he could better look down.

Kakarot slowly stood while Cell hovered a few feet above him. The Saiyan smirked as he wiped blood from his mouth and let out a chuckle, "Just as I guessed," he said, "I'm not strong enough to beat you."

Cell began to laugh while the group around Sykaima had a wave of shock sent through it. Kakarot knew he wasn't strong enough this entire time? Then why the hell did he want to go first? Sykaima had guessed that her uncle was strong enough to beat Cell and didn't want any one else hurt so he went first. But now… she was confused as ever.

"I'm glad you see it, Goku," laughed Cell, "Now, shall I end it quickly?"

"No, Cell," Kakarot smiled widely, "You win. I give up."

Cell's eyes widened, "Wait, what?"

"Those are in the rules. You either lose by getting knocked out or dying- OR by giving up. So I give up."

Cell looked shell shocked.

"Goku!" Katima was flying down, and Vegeta let out an irritated grunt and followed her, keeping a leery eye on Cell.

Sykaima made to follow her parents, but Trunks grabbed her arm, "No, stay here," he said, "It's too dangerous."

"Goku," Katima repeated when she was close to her brother, "Let Vegeta and I go."

"What?" Kakarot seemed surprised, "But, Katima- I- he's too strong-"

"I know what you're planning," said Katima, staring at him with a serious gaze, "But please. Let us take a crack at him first."

"You know what he's planning?" Vegeta demanded.

Katima ignored him, "Goku, you know we stand a chance."

Kakarot stared at her for a moment before sighing and nodding.

"Okay, Cell," Katima turned to face Cell, "Since Vegeta and I are bound, we count as one fighter, and we're your next opponent!"

"Wait, what?" Cell hissed, "You think that even with Vegeta with you that you stand a chance when your brother didn't?" he laughed, "Well, I suppose it could be amusing. But what I'm REALLY curious about it this plan you're talking about."

"If you beat us, I'll tell you," said Katima, smirking.

"What is she doing?" Rilan cried, "She's going to get killed!"

"No," Sykaima shook her head, "I think that they could actually win."

*scene change*

"Why are you doing this?" Vegeta hissed as Goku flew off to watch with the others.

"I knew you wanted to fight," said Katima.

It was true. She had felt it through the bond that Vegeta wanted a shot at Cell. He wanted to prove how much he had trained.

Vegeta set his face in determination, staring up at Cell, "I see," he said, "That's fine then. I need some payback anyway…"

Katima was sent back in her memories at his words. It had been clear that Vegeta wanted to tear Cell's face off for what he did to her. When they entered the time chamber, he had pulled her to the center of the room.

"Stay there," he ordered, and took a few steps back before he started pacing.

Katima let out a small laugh, "What are you doing?"

Vegeta sighed and stopped, looking at the floor, "I'm not good at this," he grumbled.

He started pacing again.

"Vegeta, maybe we should just start training," said Katima.

"No!" Vegeta stopped and looked at her, anger coming at her through the bond, "I- I have to… I have to do this."

Katima raised her hands as if in surrender, "Okay, okay. What's up, Vegeta?"

Vegeta let out a long breath and finally stopped pacing. He slowly looked up into her eyes, and it seemed that he was forcing himself to do so.

"We're going to be fighting Cell in two years," he said, "All of our… companions… believe that we are going to lose this fight. But we are pure blood Saiyans. We fight to live and live to fight. We are going to win," his face twisted in rage, "And I will make him pay for what he did. Which is… what brings me too…" he trailed off, and looked awkward again. He cleared his throat and rolled his shoulders, as if stretching to begin combat.

"Katima," Vegeta sighed, "This… is… difficult. I've never done this. You know me better than anyone. And… mushy stuff of warmness.. And you're cuddling… but… I want you to know, that I do love you, Katima," he took a step forward and grabbed her shoulders, "And you are the only one… that I could ever be with."

Katima felt her heart swell. That Vegeta could get himself to say those things. It meant… it meant more than she could ever begin to describe. The only thing that she could compare the intensity of her emotions at that moment was when Vegeta had died. It was like the world, instead of ending on that day on Namek, was beginning. Like everything was blossoming into awareness.

Vegeta had kissed her then, and it was soft and tender, a kiss that Katima had never experienced before from him. When he broke from her, he frowned.

"You're crying," Vegeta sounded alarmed, "But- are you angry?"

Katima laughed, "You know nothing about women," she said and began kissing him again.

Snapping back to the present, Katima looked at Vegeta. He looked back at her and spoke, "I don't want you fighting, Katima. Let me do this."

"No," Katima snapped, "Vegeta… you need me. We need to do this together or its suicide."

Vegeta gritted his teeth, "Katima…"

"I know you're worried," Katima breathed, "But I can do this. We can do this."

As she turned to face Cell with Vegeta, one hand reached out to grab his, and the other went to the reason Vegeta was so anxious to keep her out of the fight.

Her stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this Chapter: Closer to the Edge by 30 Seconds to Mars