Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

The End of Cell

He felt her just… vanish. Katima's ever touching presence faded into oblivion, leaving his mind alone, leaving his alone- leaving him to stand there, paralyzed in shock, in agony. His beautiful love, his child… gone.

It was pain, just agonizing pain that coursed through his veins, setting them ablaze. His black eyes were dilated, his breath coming in tight gasps, his hands shaking, his mind self destructing. Vaguely, he realized, that though all this horror was happening, he was alive. Vegeta lived on, despite the bond, despite Katima being slaughtered. Was it as Katima said? That the bond had changed since Vegeta died on Namek? Or was the part of him dying a lie all along?

No.

Katima would not lie to him.

She had loved him far more than he ever deserved.

And now…

She was dead. And it was all his fault.

He knew, KNEW that Cell took her because of their love. Knew that it linked to when he had scarred her beautiful face. He, in a very sick manner, thought he was teaching Vegeta a swift lesson before Vegeta was also killed. How he had left her alone because of his deep rivalry with her brother. Kakarot, who too, was now dead and gone.

And then… the pain slowly turned to a burning hatred. Anger began to lick his eyes ablaze. His teeth grit, his hands clenched, and he felt blood seep in his palms from where his nails dug in. He screamed, a cry that voiced all his agony, his burning hate, into the air, into the very sky, the atmosphere. At first it held no language, and then, slowly, it seeped into the single word.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

He ripped into the air, rocketing toward Cell. He realized that the fiend had been speaking, and in his darkness, Vegeta had no clue what he had been saying, nor did he care. All he knew was that this was the end. He would make sure Cell never got back up again, make sure that there wasn't a single scrap left of him.

*scene change*

Gohan turned when Vegeta started screaming, and jumped out to try and stop him, but was too late. As Vegeta rocketed toward Cell, he flared into Super Saiyan, sending a massive blast at Cell, screaming in rage. It enveloped Cell in dust, and Vegeta presumed to throw everything he had at Cell. Blast after blast went shooting down into the cloud, and Vegeta howled into the wind.

"YOU KILLED MY FAMILY! YOU WILL NEVER GET AWAY WITH THIS! YOU WILL PAY THE ULTIMATE PRICE FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!"

Gohan was shocked. He rarely saw Vegeta display such emotion. Yes, he always had his arm around Katima, but it was more out of possessiveness. It was as if to say that Katima belonged there. Gohan assumed that Vegeta did it because of the bond. He always wanted Katima there because if she died, so would he, but now, it was apparent that that wasn't true. He remembered his Aunt talking about the bond changing because of Vegeta's death on Namek. Perhaps that's why Vegeta yet lived, and yet foolishly fired away at Cell.

Surely, Vegeta knew he was of no match…? But no. It seemed reason was gone from Vegeta. All he thought about was revenge. Revenge from the death of his family, revenge for everything Cell did to Katima. He was blind, and surely, his rage was going to get him killed.

"VEGETA!" Krillin screamed from where he was shielding the unconscious 18.

But Vegeta didn't hear. Still sending blasts into the cloud.

Gohan looked back to see Sykaima was covering her mother's body with her own, as if to protect it from the dust that barreled across the landscape. Trunks helped, covering Katima's other side. Yamcha and Tien were crouched close, both looking frantic.

Finally, it seemed Vegeta ran out of steam. His power level was now low, and he hovered above the giant dust storm he had created, panting.

"It's over." he rasped.

Gohan looked into the cloud, reaching out his senses to find Cell, and he let out a sharp cry when he felt the power signature heading straight for Vegeta.

Sure enough, Cell rocketed out of the clouds, almost too fast to follow, right up into Vegeta's face. Vegeta let out a strangled yowl of surprise as Cell snarled, "Wrong!" and smacked him with one hand on the side of the face, sending Vegeta spiraling down to the ground where he slammed hard, and remained down, unable to produce any sounds but stuttered gasps of pain.

"Vegeta!" Gohan cried.

Sure, Vegeta had been a real pain in the ass on several occasions. His number one goal for a long time had been to kill Gohan's father. But Gohan had sensed the change in the Saiyan Prince the past years. He meant so much to Katima, and for a long time, Gohan couldn't see why. But slowly, he understood. Vegeta, though full of stubborn pride and a temper that could flare at a spark, had something about him… he believed in what he fought for, and trained to no end to make himself better. His determination was unyielding.

Katima had fallen in love with him, and now, in a weird way, Vegeta was Gohan's uncle.

So when Cell aimed a final blast down at Vegeta, Gohan found himself moving to block it before even mentally deciding to do so.

The blast hit his side, and he collapsed onto Vegeta, feeling blood sprout along his arm. The pain that coursed through his body lasted for what seemed like an eternity, before he finally grit his teeth and slowly pushed himself to his feet. Blood poured down his arm, and he looked up to see Cell sneering down at him. Anger lit up like a fire in his chest.

"I do hope you aren't going to continue this fight, Gohan," he said smoothly.

Gohan gritted his teeth. I won't give up, he thought, this is for my dad! For Katima!

Cell landed a few yards in front of him. "Still as stubborn as ever…" he raised his hands out, and began the stance for the kamehameha wave.

Gohan felt shock hit him. No. How… how could he? It was the biggest insult, to use his final move as Gohan's father's signature.

"Gohan!" Cell cried, "This is it! I'm going to kill you, then your friends, then this entire worthless rock!"

"No!" Gohan yowled.

Cell smiled, "But just remember one thing. I will live forever!"

As Cell charged for the attack, Gohan felt the Earth shake. He felt his heart sink into his stomach, felt all hope of surviving fade.

"I- I'm sorry, Gohan…"

Gohan turned to see Vegeta looking up at him his eyes flooded in agony. Gohan never thought he'd hear Vegeta say sorry for anything…

I can't beat him, Gohan thought helplessly, I had my chance to kill him and I failed. He's come back too strong!

"Giving up already? That's not the Gohan I know…"

Gohan froze.

That was his father's voice.

"D-dad?" he hissed, looking around wildly, "Where are you?"

"I'm in Other World," said Goku's voice, and only then Gohan realized it was in his mind that he could hear him, "I'm talking to you through King Kai."

"Dad, I'm sorry," Gohan breathed, "It's my fault- I should have killed him when-"

"Stop that," said Goku gently, "You don't know if what you did was the best thing you could have done. No one knows what would happen!"

"But you- Katima-!" Gohan wailed.

"Listen, Gohan, don't feel bad about me! King Kai and the others and I are having a great time up here!"

"Dad…" Gohan closed his eyes, "I can't beat him!"

"Yes you can, Gohan," said Goku.

"But he's come back more powerful than ever! And my energy is cut in half!"

"I knew from the gate that you were strong enough to beat Cell, Gohan," said Goku, "That hasn't changed. Don't you see? It's not your body that's draining your power, it's your own doubt."

Gohan considered. Could that be true?

"If you want to blame anyone for what has happened Gohan," said Goku, "Blame Cell. Make him pay for what he has done!"

Gohan looked over at Cell, who was watching him the entire time with a curious smirk on his face. Gohan felt rage hit him. One of his arms was useless… but he could do this. Suddenly, he knew he could.

"I will," he breathed, "I'll make him pay!"

*scene change*

When the kamehameha wave launched, Vegeta knew that he had to get out of there. Part of him was tempted to throw himself into the wave, to let his life end here and there. But another part of him screamed that Katima would never forgive him for doing so. He managed to muster up his remaining strength and flew shakily away. He saw the others flying off too, and it appeared Sykaima and Trunks were supporting Katima's body between them. He rocketed for them, as the Earth began to tremble below.

Cell and Gohan had fired kamehameha waves at one another, and where they met formed a massive orb of power with a seam down the center. It appeared they were evenly matched for a long time. He looked away to see where Katima's body was being moved. He saw the group land on a cliff edge and he sped to them, landing to see his daughter's face tear streaked as she and Trunks laid Katima down gently. Vegeta shoved Trunks aside and knelt at his love's side, his body quivering.

"Katima…" he breathed.

Memories began to flood through him.

He remembered when he first saw her. Her beautiful form landing lightly before him and Nappa, the determined steel in her eyes. He had assumed her to on his side at first, believing that she had true Saiyan blood in her yet. But when she turned to face him, turned and defended those she had never met, to defend her home.

That kiss… the kiss that changed everything… when the Bond was planted, when their lives became one. He hardly knew what it felt like to have his mind to himself… How he found her on Namek, how he had felt her power awakened by Guru, how he had awoken from death to see her sitting in the ship, curled into a ball, her eyes nothing but lifeless orbs…

She had given everything for him. She said she loved him, and they had made love…

Had he ever given back?

Her lifeless body lay before him and he felt tears begin to streak down his face.

Had he ever truly shown her how much he loved her…?

"Dad…"

Sykaima's arms were around him and he looked to see her face, so much like her mother's, staring at him, blue eyes wide with agony and concern. Vegeta couldn't bare to look at her… He had let her down just as much as he had Katima.

"Look!" he heard one of the others yell, and he glanced back to see that the struggle between the two blasts were staggering back and forth, "Gohan is really fighting!" it was Piccolo who was speaking, "I can't just sit here! I'm coming Gohan!" he rocketed off, leaving those behind stunned.

"Is he insane?" hissed Krillin.

Vegeta watched Piccolo go, and suddenly, his heart began to pound. The pain turned to fury. He wanted Cell dead, and now… now that Gohan had him on the ropes… was it possible?

"No." Tien said, stepping forward, powering up slowly, "We can't just stand aside. Either we win, or we die, so why not fight until the end?"

Yamcha stood, eyes narrowed, "I'm coming too."

"Are you all crazy?" hissed Krillin.

"I'm going."

They turned to see Rilan leave Lercron's body, powering to Ascended Tygrian.

"I won't let you go in there alone, Dad," said Trunks firmly.

"And I'm not letting you leave without me," Sykaima stood, looking at Trunks with passion in her eyes.

"Then what are we waiting for?"

Everyone was shocked when Vegeta stood, and powered to Super Saiyan, "We're not letting that freak get away with what he has done!"

He took off, not caring if the others followed him, but he felt them doing so. They rocketed toward the battle ground they had taken the bodies and injured from, with new steel. Not again, Vegeta thought, he will not escape death again!

As the struggle between the blasts continued, the group of fighters all flew to the side Cell was on.

"Surround him from above!" Vegeta ordered, "If we all hit him at once… there may be a chance!" he looked around at them all, "Give it everything you have! Do you understand me?"

They all nodded, not questioning his authority, and they swiftly surrounded Cell from above, seeing him look up at them as they did so.

"You don't give up, do you?" he snarled.

Vegeta looked around to make sure they were all ready. Piccolo, anger on his green face, Tien, his hands ready for his Tri Beam, Yamcha, his fists clenched, Krillin, his eyes set, Rilan, blue hair flowing around him, Trunks, the lines of Ascended Tygrian tracing his skin, and Sykaima, his daughter, powered to super Saiyan, her spunk blond hair flicking in the wind. She met his gaze and nodded. Vegeta nodded back.

Let this be the end.

They all aimed down, and Vegeta screamed, "NOW!"

Nine different beams of power rocketed down, all slamming into Cell who actually flinched under the blow, and lost his footing.

It was all Gohan needed.

There was a mighty scream from Gohan's end as his side of the blast finally won.

"GET OUT!" Vegeta yelled, and the nine of them swiftly fled upward to avoid the blast as it consumed Cell's end.

Vegeta heard screams of first horror, then pain as soon, the blast was only one, a long beam of light flowing from Gohan's arm, completely obliterating where Cell had been. When the blast finally faded, the nine of them were hovering high above the great crater that had been created, and Vegeta saw Gohan falling to the ground, his hair black again, his power totally drained. He was dead, just exhausted.

And Cell's power…

Was gone.

Completely vanished.

Slowly, the nine of them landed. Vegeta stared around, half expecting Cell to pop out and kill them all, but…

It was true.

He was really dead.

Vegeta heard laughter suddenly, and looked over to see Gohan was laughing where he had fallen on the ground. Sykaima walked up beside her father and gently touched his arm, "It's over," she breathed, as if she too, could barely believe it.

But Vegeta's mind was elsewhere.

He squeezed his daughter's shoulder and flew up, back to where Katima's body was. He noticed Rilan was following him, And Krillin as well, no doubt wanting to claim their own. Vegeta landed and scooped Katima's lifeless form into his arms. Rilan collected Lercon, and Krillin the only living one left on the cliffs, 18.

"Vegeta…" Rilan began.

"Silence." Vegeta snapped quietly, and flew off, without looking back, keeping Katima against his chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin