Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Ape Practice

Makoto, Goten, and Videl were all flying expertly within ten days. It pleased Katima that the training went along so smoothly. It was perhaps the funniest moment when Videl had shown up the second day of training with shortly cropped hair. The look on Gohan's face had been priceless. He had spoken to her when she had left that day.

"What IS it with girls?" he had wailed.

"I couldn't tell you, Gohan, I wasn't raised anything like a normal girl," Katima had told him, which just made him scowl.

Today, however, now that the flying training was complete, it was time for Vegeta to take Makoto out to the mountains to teach him how to control his ape form. She found herself saddened that Vegeta didn't want her to go, but she supposed she would be a distraction to Makoto. She had no clue how it was going to go, making him control his ape form when he had never even transformed into it before. She really wanted to be there for her son, but…

Makoto looked up at her with sad eyes as he pulled on his back pack. She had put in a bundle of warm clothes and some old Saiyan armor that Bulma had made in his size, so he could wear that when he practiced transforming as it stretched with him. Katima ruffled his thick black hair, smiling lovingly down at him.

"You'll be fine," she promised.

"I don't wanna go without you Mom," he said.

"I can't help you with this, Makoto, only your father knew how to control his ape form," said Katima soothingly, kneeling down to look at him, "He won't let anything happen to you."

"I know…" Makoto looked down, "But still…"

"You want to become a warrior, don't you?" Vegeta demanded, coming into the room with a back pack around one shoulder. His eyes were narrowed, "Then you will learn how to control your ape form. It is vital. It is your greatest weakness when you do not know how to control it, and your greatest strength when you do. Understand, son?"

Makoto looked up at him with big eyes, "Yes, Dad." He said meekly.

Vegeta nodded in satisfaction.

Katima stood and smiled at him, "You will be careful?"

"Of course," snapped Vegeta, "You act like I have never done this before."

"Makoto hasn't," Katima pointed out.

Vegeta rolled his eyes, "He is a Saiyan Prince, with warrior blood in him. He will do fine."

"Bye, Makoto," said Trunks, who was sitting on the couch, watching them, "And when you come back, you better show me your ape form, kay?"

Makoto beamed at him, "Yeah!"

"No turning into your ape form so close to the city," Katima scolded, "Can you imagine how many people you would scare?"

"So?" Makoto blinked up at her.

Katima sighed and looked at Vegeta, "While you're out there, please explain to our son that we live on a human planet and that he can't go running around terrorizing everyone?"

Vegeta chuckled, "I don't see why he shouldn't."

Katima rubbed her forehead, "Our son's going to turn into a little monster…" she breathed.

"Good luck, Makoto!" Rilan said, striding into the room. He wore a Capsule Corp hoody and jeans, a white button up shirt beneath, his feet bare. He held his hands in his pockets, smiling down at the young Saiyan.

"Thanks, Mister Rilan," said Makoto, smiling a bit at him.

"He'll be fine, won't you, Makoto?" asked Bulma, coming in after her husband and lacing an arm around his elbow.

Makoto beamed, "I'll be the best ape ever!" he declared.

"We'll see to that," said Vegeta and kissed Katima on the forehead gently, "We'll be back before the tournament."

"You better, you're my best training partner," said Katima.

"You can train with me and Trunks until he gets back," said Rilan. He nodded at Vegeta, "Don't let the kid eat you!"

Vegeta snorted and beckoned his son, "Come, Makoto."

"Bye everyone!" Makoto waved and ran after his father.

Katima watched them go with a heavy heart. She sent a push of affection to Vegeta through the bond.

Be safe, she thought.

*scene change*

The mountains were cold. Snow swirled down around them and Vegeta pulled the zipper of his coat up higher. The climates of this planet were so strange, freezing in some areas and baking hot in others. He had grown used to it for the most part, but it still awed him some times. He pushed through the snow, leaving a trail for his son to follow.

Makoto was in a snow suit and had a hat tucked around his ears, a scarf around his face. He was hugging himself as he pushed after his father, going through the path he made through the foot deep snow.

"D-Dad, c-can we st-stop yet?" he asked through clattering teeth.

Vegeta glanced back, "No." he said simply.

"B-but i-it's fr-freezing!" Makoto wailed.

"We aren't stopping until we reach a valley. I know of one between the mountains. We will train there."

"Wh-why c-can't we f-fly?" asked Makoto.

"Because the visibility isn't good enough. We could miss the valley. Down here, I know where I'm going. Besides, this is good training," Vegeta nodded.

"H-how?" Makoto asked in shock.

"Endurance, son," said Vegeta harshly, "A true warrior can fight in the coldest of blizzards, and the hottest of deserts. You must be able to battle in all climates."

Makoto pushed on, "I- I wanna be th-the str-strongest!" he said.

"Good," said Vegeta, nodding in approval, "Then no more complaining from here on out, understood?"

"Yes, Dad," said Makoto.

They pressed on through the snow for perhaps another hour before they reached the valley Vegeta remembered. There was little shelter from the snow here, the valley void from trees, and the snow was thick and untouched. Vegeta pushed to the center of it before pulling out some capsules and popping them. A small sturdy looking hut appeared and Vegeta held the door open, letting Makoto go in first. He followed and shook out his hair like a dog, snow falling everywhere.

Makoto went straight to the fire place and pressed the button to make the flames start up instantly. He turned his back to it, holding out his snow caked tail toward it. He was shivering.

"Get those clothes off, they'll be wet when the snow melts," said Vegeta, stripping off his own clothing as he spoke, "And put on your Saiyan armor."

"We're starting now?" asked Makoto, looking shocked, "B-but we just got here!"

"So?" Vegeta snapped, "You're a warrior! You should always be ready!"

Makoto flinched, "Can we at least eat first?"

Vegeta's stomach growled. He scowled, "Very well," he said, heading for the kitchen portion of the hut. He looked around, frowning, "How do I work this thing?"

"What?" Makoto looked at him, "You have to make the food, Dad."

"Make it?" Vegeta blinked, "I don't know how to cook, I thought this thing had some sort of automatic feature!"

Makoto looked at him as he pulled off his beanie and shook out his wavy hair, "Uh, well, when I see Miss Bulma cook, she puts stuff in a pot and it sits in it for a while, then she puts other stuff on it and it's ready to eat!"

Vegeta sighed and went to the fridge, opening it. He hadn't the faintest clue how to prepare meals. He always just ate what the Earth woman prepared for them. Perhaps he should have learned something before he left, despite it being ridiculous that a prince should have to learn how to cook his own meals.

Inside the fridge, there were some fruits and vegetables, a gallon of milk, some packages of sliced meat and cheese, a pitcher of juice. Opening the freezer about it, he spotted some boxes with pictures of fully cooked meals on them. He pulled these out and looked them over. He had learned to read a little bit of the human language, but he wasn't sure what some of it meant.

"What did you find, Dad?"

Makoto was down to his boxers and he came over, his tail dripping now. He held up a hand and Vegeta passed him a box. Makoto looked it over.

"Oh! These are easy to do! Look, there's instructions!"

"You can read that?" Vegeta asked bluntly.

Makoto looked up at him, confused, "Sure, Dad, can't you?"

Vegeta turned a bit red, "I- er- of course, I just, was surprised."

How was it his son who was only five knew more about reading than he did? He had better practice more when they returned home.

Makoto smiled, "Sure, Auntie Chichi teaches me every time I go to play with Goten! Here, Dad," he offered the package, "I can't reach the microwave."

"Micro- what?" asked Vegeta, "Is that some sort of technique?"

Makoto looked at him blankly, "No, Dad, it's the microwave? The machine that makes food warm!" he pointed and Vegeta saw a small machine sitting atop the counter.

He went to it and pressed the large button which made it pop open.

"So… I just… put this inside?" Vegeta asked.

"No, Dad, read the instructions!" said Makoto, going to his back pack and pulling out the blue jumpsuit that went beneath the Saiyan armor.

Vegeta looked at the markings on the box. He recognized the word "open" and proceeded to ripped the cardboard off. Within lay a plastic tray with the food inside, beneath and thin layer of plastic that was sealed to the edges of the tub.

"Now what?" he looked at his son, not even bothering to keep acting like he knew what he was doing.

"Put it in!" said Makoto, "For five minutes!"

Vegeta placed the thing inside the machine and closed the door. He looked at the markings on the side. Which one was five again…? He frowned.

Makoto came over, now in his jumpsuit. He flew up, hovering so he could look at the microwave, "This one!" he hit the button and the inside of the machine lit up. Looking inside, Vegeta saw the tray slowly rotating.

"Dad, how come you don't know this stuff?" asked Makoto, landing on the ground and frowning up at his father.

Vegeta reddened but crossed his arms, "I'm a warrior, not a chef or some book worm. I have no use of such things."

"But how would you take care of yourself if you were all by yourself?" asked Makoto flatly.

Vegeta grit his teeth, "We Saiyans had things that would put hunger at bay! And I know how to kill something and hold it over a fire. These human contraptions are far too confusing and not worth my time."

Makoto looked at the machines, "They're easy once you know how to do it, Dad, I can teach you!"

"Nonsense, we're here to teach you how to control your ape form, not to play with stupid machines!" Vegeta snapped.

Makoto flinched, bowing his head, "Right, sorry, Dad."

Vegeta went to the bedroom and pulled off the rest of his now soaked clothes and put on his armor. As he did this, he heard the machine's alarm sound and the door open and close, and then the machine start up again. Makoto must have placed another meal inside it. The smell of warm food then wafted in and Vegeta found his mouth watering.

Coming out just in time for the second meal to be ready, He saw Makoto hovering over the counter, pulling the plastic covering off the tray. His son turned and landed, walking up and offering him one of the trays. Vegeta took it and went to the table, sitting and quickly consuming the food with ravenous vigor. His son ate with the same force and soon they were both looking at the empty trays with longing.

"Humans call that a meal?" asked Vegeta, "That was hardly a snack."

"We could make more," said Makoto hopefully.

Vegeta nodded and Makoto bolted to the fridge and quickly warmed two more. He brought them back, placing one in front of his father. They ate these ones just as fast, and had a third helping afterward, and only then was Vegeta content. Not full, but content.

"I think it stopped snowing," said Makoto, going to the window and peering out.

"Good," said Vegeta, standing, "We can start then."

Makoto looked at him, eyes a little wary. "Will it hurt?" he asked.

"Yes," Vegeta said flatly, walking out of the hut.

His son trotted after him. It was calm in the valley now, the snow deep but still. The wind had stopped, and the cold was more bearable. He turned and made the hut into a capsule again. Their belongings would be inside, and he didn't want it to be destroyed. He turned to his son, who was hugging himself in effort to stay warm.

"The first time will be the most difficult," said Vegeta, "And it is vital you gain at least some control the first go. Understand?"

"B-but how?" asked Makoto, looking at his father with wide eyes.

Vegeta pointed to himself, "While you are transforming, I do not want you to think of anything but me. It is critical you at least remember who I am. You can't think of anything else- not the cold, not home, nothing. Understood?"

Makoto nodded slowly, looking a bit scared.

"There's no room for fear, Makoto," Vegeta snapped, making his son flinch, "You can do this, you have it in your blood. Now. I'm going to throw an artificial moon into the air, only look at it when you're ready, okay?"

"Yes, Dad," said Makoto quietly.

Vegeta made a silver orb in his hand and tossed it up. A semi-transparent moon appeared in the sky, harshly bright against the gray clouds.

"Alright," said Vegeta, "Now focus Makoto, think about me, I am your father. Think of who I am, and my voice."

Makoto nodded slowly.

"I will keep talking while you transform," said Vegeta, "You must focus on my voice and know who it is speaking, you must remember who I am."

"I will Dad," said Makoto firmly.

"That's more like it," said Vegeta, a small prick of pride hitting him, "Now, when you are ready, look at the moon."

*scene change*

Makoto's tail trailed out behind him in the slight breeze. It was cold still, but he lowered his arms and steeled himself. His heart was racing, but he looked at his father's face and felt bravery flood him. It was in his blood to be a warrior like his parents- he could do this, he had to. He grit his teeth and looked up at the silver orb in the sky.

It was like his body ceased up. He couldn't look away. The moon was flooding his vision, and his body began to throb painfully. He bit back a cry of pain, and he heard his father's voice calling his name.

"Listen to my voice, Makoto! It's your father, Vegeta! Makoto!"

He kept repeating this and Makoto tried his hardest to focus on it as his body began to pulsate. He felt his bones shifting, so painful he couldn't even yell. His small body began to grow. He felt his limbs stretching, felt fur began to grow on his face, fangs begin to lengthen in his mouth, his face contorting terribly, a snout elongating. His tail slowly became massive, his feet, still in the boots, but he felt them shift to resemble hands. He kept growing, and growing, and all the while he listened as hard as he could to the sound of his father's voice.

That's my Dad, he kept telling himself, trying to ignore the horrendous pain racking through him, That's my Dad! I can't forget! My Dad!

Slowly, he stopped growing, and the changing slowly settled. He clenched his now massive hands into fists. Power was pulsating through him, it was like the first time… in that room… when his hair…

"Makoto!"

Makoto looked down and spotted a man below him.

I have to remember! A voice said in the back of his head.

The man was looking at him, his body poised defensively, "Makoto, I'm your father!"

But the voice sounded like just noise on his ears. Makoto looked at him and felt a strange rage building in him. He wanted to break things, wanted to tear apart anything he could find, this man would make a fine play thing. He reached down.

"NO Makoto!" the man yelled, running from him.

The boy recognized his own name, how did this man know it? He took a few massive steps toward him, making the ground shake. The man was so tiny. He reached out with a massive paw, more quickly this time and he managed to seize hold on him. Pleased, Makoto brought him up to his face.

The man was struggling, pushing uselessly against Makoto's fingers. He looked at Makoto, and the boy couldn't help but feel like… he knew him…

"Makoto!" the man yelled, "It's me! Your Dad!"

The word 'dad' struck something. Memories of the gravity room at home slowly flooded Makoto's mind. He had to remember- that this man- his voice-

Yes. It was his father, Vegeta. He couldn't harm him!

Makoto blinked and slowly opened his hand. Vegeta hovered there, massaging his chest, gasping.

"Good," he said, "You do remember, I knew you could do it son," he smiled a little.

Makoto was shaking slightly. The need to destroy everything was still there, but he knew not to hurt Vegeta. He looked around, searching for something else to feed his bloodlust.

"No, Makoto!" said Vegeta harshly, making the ape look over at him, "You must not give in to the rage. You need to control yourself."

Makoto blinked slowly, but he had that thirst, that need to break something- to kill.

Vegeta grunted in annoyance when he turned and began lumbering away, toward the trees. Those looked fun to break.

"Makoto!" Vegeta called.

Makoto glanced back at him, grunting irritably. He had to break something- had to smash, had to crush life out of something, anything! But remembering who his father was restrained him from attacking Vegeta.

"Son you stop right now," ordered Vegeta harshly, "You will sit down, and not move until the rage is gone."

Makoto looked at him, why would he do that? What harm was there is breaking stuff?

"A true warrior knows how to control himself!" Vegeta shouted, "Now come here!"

That hit something. A true warrior… Makoto wanted to be the best warrior! His father had never been wrong about what it took to become a warrior.

"Come. Here!" Vegeta snapped.

Makoto growled but lumbered back to him and sat down. His massive backside made a huge cloud of snow erupt from beneath him as he did so. He laced his large tail around to sit in his lap. He twitched it, nearly shaking with the ache to go and demolish that forest.

Vegeta came and hovered before his face, "Now you will go to sleep in this form, Makoto. If you can calm yourself down enough to fall asleep in this form, you will be able to move on to learn how to fight like this, because you will have control."

Makoto gaped at him. Fall asleep? But he was itching for a fight now! Why couldn't they do it now? He looked at his father with pleading eyes.

"None of that!" growled Vegeta, "This is what comes first. You cannot take your last step before the first!"

Makoto let out an irritated growl.

"Stop your complaining," Vegeta barked, "Do you want to be a warrior or not?"

Makoto huffed, bowing his head. The urge was so strong! He wanted to run and tear through the mountain itself! But he couldn't. His stark need to become a warrior- the best and strongest warrior, prevented him from doing so. So he sat there until the sun went down, gripping his tail, slumping over on his side eventually, rolling back and forth, fidgeting. Without really realizing it, he fell into slumber.

And woke in his human form.

He was in the hut, and warm, tucked into the bed. He smelled food, and his stomach nearly roared with longing. He slowly sat up, looking at his small hands.

Did all that really happen?

"Good. You're up."

Looking up he saw Vegeta in the doorway. He had an armful of those trays of food and he jerked his head, an indication for Makoto to come, "We'll eat and then move on to the next lesson."

Makoto slipped out of the bed and followed him, his eyes wide. So it did happen! He became the ape and fell asleep in that form! He bounced to the table and quickly ate. Now that he had felt what it was like, he was no longer worried about shifting to his ape form.

"Dad, how did I change back?" he asked.

"I took down the moon and the energy it filled you with wore off," said Vegeta simply.

Makoto smiled, "Did I do good?" he asked.

Vegeta looked at him, a slightly guarded look in his eyes, "If you do as well today, we will make decent progress," he said.

Makoto continued eating, pride flooding him. He did it!

*scene change*

Vegeta watched his son eat with slight aw still swirling in him. His son, only five years old, had been able to control himself fully on his first transformation. None of the Saiyans back on planet Vegeta could do that at that age. He never expected Makoto to actually be able to fall asleep. He expected his son to run off into the forest and rip it to pieces. But he had done it.

Perhaps it had something to do with becoming Super Saiyan before hand. Makoto's strength and power kept amazing Vegeta at every turn. It was astounding! Five years old… His son was five, and he was getting to the point of rivaling how strong the Androids had been! How was it that he was so strong at such a young age? In any case, part of him was pleased. Weakest of the children or not, with his ability to turn into an ape, he could destroy all of them easily. Of course, he would need to know how to fight in that form first.

It was going to be interesting to train his son in the old ways of Saiyan training…

He was looking forward to it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this Chapter: Hang Me Up to Dry by Cold War Kids