Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

A Planet of Trouble

PART ONE: NAMEK

The landing was rough. Katima clenched the arms of her seat as they soared downward. The trip had taken them three long weeks, in which she and the boys practiced telepathically and Bulma taught her some of the controls of the ship. There had been one time when they had been taken by a ship full of children. That had been an eerie experience, but they had managed to save the ship from an asteroid field and gain their trust. The children had warned them about a sinister being by the name of Frieza.

Not long after that did they land on a planet they thought to be Namek and nearly got their ship stolen by a couple of aliens. However, with Katima, Krillin, and Gohan’s combined strength they had been able to thwart them and escape. It had been quite the trip, but finally, they were here.

The ship landed with a mighty thud, and Katima pulled out an ear bud from her music player. She had spent several days meditating, trying to see where Vegeta was. She knew he had recovered around the time they escaped from the two ship-stealing aliens, but was having trouble keeping track of him. If she plugged in her music and focused, sometimes she could see through his eyes.

One day Bulma had gotten curious and asked to play her music through the speakers. All three of them had all looked at Katima with mild shock when it had started.

The only music on Katima’s player was Gaelic Irish and Scottish. She never knew why the music made her so focused. But often she would train better when listening to it.

“Now,” said Bulma, brining her back to the present, “Let me check the oxygen levels out there so that I’ll know if we have to wear suits or not.”

“Bulma?” Katima said.

“What?” she asked, working on the computer.

Katima went to her and pointed out the ships front window. Gohan and Krillin were already down there looking at the scenery.

Bulma clenched her fists and turned on her heel, marching out of the ship. Katima followed and watched as she screamed at the boys for being so careless. Katima laughed and looked around as the three bickered. This planet didn’t seem too different from earth. There sure seemed to be more water, little islands scattered about with skies of green and grass of blue. The air was fresh and clean, and she went to the edge of the bit of land they had touched down on and looked into the clear water. It sure was beautiful.

Turning back, Katima saw Bulma was still yelling at the boys. She went to her side and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Bulma,” she said, making the blue-haired girl pause and look at her, “They’re just eager to get started. They want their friends back, and beside, don’t you have a thing going on with the Yamcha guy? Aren’t you excited to find the Dragon Balls?”

Bulma sighed and nodded, “Yes. Sorry, guys. Jeez, thank God we have another girl around.”

“Yeah,” muttered Krillin, “Thank God.”

Katima looked out at the water and opened her mind, trying to sense life. Surely there were some Namekians that they could talk to. But what she sensed was not Namekians.

It was a power level- the strongest she had ever felt- stronger than Vegeta. She was frozen to the spot, eyes wide with horror, and after a moment, she knew Gohan and Krillin could feel it too.

“What’s up?” asked Bulma, looking at all their terrified faces, “Come on, someone fill me in!”

Katima swallowed and wiped her brow. That power was dark- whoever held it had no good intentions, that was for certain.

“Is it Vegeta?” Bulma asked, her eyes widening.

“No,” murmured Katima, and Bulma sighed in relief.

“It’s worse,” Krillin added.

Bulma flinched and looked at each of them in turn, “What do you mean?”

“A power level that could destroy Vegeta in the blink of an eye,” said Katima, “And it is not on our side.”

Bulma bowed her head, “Why is our luck so terrible? Well…” she looked up with a smile, “We’ll just stay out of its way, right? We’re good at hiding. It’s not like it has a personal vendetta against us, like Vegeta.”

“Yeah…” Katima looked up at the sky, her stomach dropping, “About that…”

“What?” the three of them looked at her.

Katima pointed up in the sky, “Vegeta.”

A small pod went flying down toward the ground a good distance off. Katima was furious. She hadn’t been keeping track of Vegeta through their bond, and had no clue that he was coming here. Was it because he knew they were here? No… now that she focused on him, she could tell he was here for one thing, the Dragon Balls.

“Damn it!” Katima dropped to one knee and slammed her fist into the ground, making a small crater.

“V-Vegeta?” Bulma cried as there was a distant echo where the ship landed, “Why is he here? Did he follow us?”

“No,” said Katima, slowly standing, “He’s here for the Dragon Balls.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Krillin cried, “First this terrible power level and now Vegeta?”

“We can’t give up,” said Gohan sharply and they all looked at him.

“Piccolo died for me,” the boy continued, “We can’t let him and the others down.”

“But we stand no chance against Vegeta,” said Krillin, “And if he’s after the Dragon Balls then we’re definitely going to run into him sooner or later.”

“I can tell when he’s coming, though,” said Katima, “With my link to him, we can sneak around him.”

“But can’t he feel you too?” asked Bulma.

Katima bowed her head, “I know I could feel Lily, but it took time and concentration to get to that point. I’m sure Vegeta hasn’t figured it out yet, otherwise he would be heading for me first, guaranteed.”

“So what do we do?” asked Krillin.

“I know!” Bulma cried, “I can go back and get Goku! I’m sure he’d be fixed up by the time I got home! And you three can just find one of the Dragon Balls and hide it until I get back! Vegeta can’t make a wish unless he has all seven!”

“I suppose that could work,” said Krillin, beginning to smile, “Yeah! Goku could show Vegeta! How long would it take?”

Bulma continued to smile, but it seemed a little put on as she answered, “Oh, only one month!”

“A month?!” Katima bellowed, turning to stare at her, “You expect us to keep a Dragon Ball hidden from Vegeta for a month?! By then surely he would figure out our bond and track us down! Bulma, are you crazy?”

“Well, what else can we do?” Bulma demanded, placing hands on her hips, “Goku is the only one who stands a chance against Vegeta!”

“But Vegeta can’t hurt me,” Katima reminded, “If worse came to worse then Krillin or Gohan could hit me to stall him or something.”

“Exactly why you could handle it here for a month!” Bulma declared excitedly.

Katima shook her head. They were so close, and BAM a door just has to slam shut in their face. Why? Of all people to show up on Namek, why did it have to be Vegeta?

“Then it’s settled,” said Bulma, “I’ll go back and get Goku, and you guys can-”

“Wait!” said Gohan suddenly, “Two power levels heading straight for us!”

They all turned and looked toward the source. They were pretty weak, which was nice, but Katima could sense their hostility.

“Bulma, get behind something,” Krillin ordered.

Bulma quickly hid behind one of the ship’s legs without argument, “Is it Vegeta?”

“No,” said Katima, as two flying figures approached.

They were aliens, no doubt about that, one representing a alligator with a humanoid form and the other with blue skin. What really surprised Katima was that their armor was just like what Vegeta had been wearing on Earth. Uh oh, these could be his foot soldiers, and could radio him about their presence on the planet!

They stopped a few yards up in the air above them, and snickered down toward them. They had Scouters, and guns attached to their arms.

“Look, they’re not Namekians,” one said to the other.

“No, which means we don’t even have to question them before we kill them,” the other snickered, “But we certainly don’t want them running away,” he aimed his gun at the ship and fired.

A clean bolt of light pierced the front window of the ship, shattering it and making a small spark of fire begin. They both laughed as Bulma let out a shriek.

“Just flipping fantastic,” sighed Katima, putting in her ear buds and turning up her music. Those bastards just ruined their ride home, and she was not going to let them get away with it.

She, Gohan, and Krillin launched into the air, all screaming with rage. Katima darted between them and slammed a fist into each of their faces, separating them for Gohan to take one and Krillin the other. They each hit them hard, sending them back toward Katima like some game to catch. She bolted upward and let the two slam into each other. Before they fell, she held out a hand and with a cry of anger, sent a blast of energy down at them, reducing them to nothing and putting a small crater in the ground beneath her.

Katima, Gohan, and Krillin landed side-by-side and Katima pulled out an ear bud and smiled at them, “Good work,” she said, “I didn’t even break a sweat.”

“What are you smiling about?” cried Bulma, gesturing wildly up to the ship, “In case you haven’t noticed, our ship has been destroyed! We’re trapped here!”

Katima looked up at the damage and had to agree. They were definitely stuck here. They didn’t have the necessary equipment to fix that kind of wreckage. She let her shoulders slump. What now?

They all looked at each other with sad faces.

“Well,” sighed Krillin, “Nothing to do about it now. We better find a place to hide.”

They gathered their things from the ship and began their hike, helping Bulma between the jumps to the next islands. They couldn’t fly in fear of Vegeta’s Scouter spotting them. Katima was beginning to wish she really had just stayed home that day, but then she would have never met her family and new friends.

“My luck is horrible,” sighed Bulma.

Katima glanced behind her. Krillin was leading the way with Gohan close to his side, leaving the girls to take up the rear.

“I lose Yamcha, and then, trying to bring him back, all possibilities of succeeding get thrown out the window in less than a minute,” Bulma had tears gathering in her eyes.

“Hey,” said Katima, placing an arm around her shoulders as they walked, “No worries, girl. We’ll get the Dragon Balls somehow. Vegeta can’t hurt me, remember? We’ll use that to our advantage one way or the other,” she winked at her new friend, “Besides, I bet Yamcha misses you as much as you miss him.”

“You think so?” Bulma smiled at her and wiped her eyes, “Well, Katima, you’re an optimist, I’ll give you that.”

Katima beamed, “I try my best.”

“What’s Vegeta doing?” Bulma asked, “Can you, like, tune into him?”

“It only happens when he’s really pissed off,” said Katima, frowning and looking up at the green sky, “Or when I’m sleeping. I tend to dream whatever he’s doing. So maybe when we get where ever we’re going I’ll take a nap and tell you guys what he’s up to,” she looked back at Bulma, “And then, we’ll go and get one of the Dragon Balls and hide it.”

“Hey guys!” Krillin looked back at them with a smile, “There’s a cave up ahead! We can take shelter there!”

Katima thumped Bulma on the back and they ran to catch up to the boys who were stopped outside the yawning mouth of a dark cave cutting into a cliff-face.

“It looks kind of creepy,” said Bulma, “What if there’s an alien monster in there?”

“I don’t sense any life,” said Gohan, “Not even a mouse! Er- if they have mice here.”

“It’ll have to do,” said Katima, peering inside, “I’m sure some of Bulma’s capsules can make this place a cozy camp.”

“Yeah, good thing I thought to pack them,” said Bulma, folding her arms.

“Great, so let’s sta-” Krillin cut off mid sentence, turning and looking to the horizon with wide eyes.

Katima felt it too, and it was obvious Gohan did as well.

It was that power level- that God awful power that outmatched anything Katima ever felt. And it was heading straight for them, with about ten hefty power levels accompanying it.

“GET IN THE CAVE!” Krillin shouted.

Katima grabbed Gohan while Krillin snatched Bulma’s hand and they darted into cover.

“Lower your power!” Krillin ordered.

Katima held Gohan in her arms and closed her eyes tightly, concentrating on lowering her level. Now she could hear them, something tearing through the air like scissors through tissue paper. She opened one eye to look as they whizzed by the cave entrance. They were all wearing that armor that Vegeta had and the other two scouts that had attacked them, and leading them was the source of the high power. The creature was in a pod that was open at the top half, like some hovering throne. It was definitely an alien, and Katima didn’t get more than a pinkish purple blur.

But what she did see were two aliens flanking it, each of them carrying two huge golden orbs under their arms.

Once they passed, Katima dropped Gohan and the four of them all gasped for breath as if they had been running a marathon. Bulma was frantically pulling something from her pocket and revealed a large compass looking device with a single button on the top of it. She clicked this button frantically and then let out a wail.

“What?” Katima asked.

“Those were the Dragon Balls, weren’t they, Bulma?” asked Krillin.

Bulma sniffed and dropped to her knees, nodding.

“What?” Katima repeated, “What is that?” she snatched the device and watched as four dots sailed away from the center of the grid screen. This batch of four was heading for a fifth dot, and there were two others off by themselves.

“It looks like they’re going for another,” said Gohan who was looking at it with her.

“This is crazy!” Krillin exclaimed, “Not only is Vegeta here- but the most powerful thing I’ve ever felt is collecting the Dragon Balls too! And I don’t know if you guys felt it, but that thing wasn’t near anything kind-hearted.”

“Yes,” said Katima softly, “The darkness was even thicker than what I feel in Vegeta.”

“And to top it off, we’re stuck here!” Bulma wailed, slouching back against the wall of the cave.

Katima was silent for a moment, then handed the radar back to Bulma. She looked at Krillin, then Gohan, “We have to follow them.”

“What?!” cried Krillin, “Are you insane?”

“We won’t be spotted,” said Katima, “We can all effectively hide our levels. I want to see what this thing is about. We have to try something,” she looked out at the sky, “We can’t just give up.”

“Katima’s right!” said Gohan, taking Katima’s hand and looking up at her proudly, “Piccolo and the others are counting on us!”

“Oh, all right, fine,” sighed Krillin, “But if we die, I’m blaming you, Katima.”

“Wait, you guys can’t just leave me here!” Bulma jumped to her feet.

“We’ll be right back,” said Katima reassuringly, “You can set up camp.”

“Are you kidding me?” Bulma stamped her foot, “I’m supposed to sit back here and just stoke the freaking fire while you three go risking your lives? WHAT IF YOU DON’T COME BACK?!”

“We WILL,” Katima went to her and placed her hands on Bulma’s shoulders, “Trust me, we wouldn’t leave you unless it was vital, like this.”

Bulma sighed and shook her head, “Fine. I’ll try getting the satellite phone online and phone my dad.”

“Thanks Bulma,” said Krillin, stepping out the cave, “We’ll be right back.”

Rilan slowly brought the ship closer to the ground next to Frieza’s. There were four small ships with him, not like the pods that the rest of Frieza’s men used, but more maneuverable, more tactical. Rilan popped the hatch and jumped out onto the ground, glancing around this curious planet, his multi-toned blue hair being teased by the wind. Leir approached from his own ship, adjusting the Scouter on the side of his face.

“So this is Namek,” said Rilan softly as his other four elite soldiers joined them.

One was Nicron, a short blue reptilian being, with no hair, wide completely black eyes, and perfectly square holes for ears. The other there was Wes, the burly, tall humanoid with long, ash blond hair, and Sequan, the tiny, shorter than Nicron, bug-like being with night black skin and nervous red eyes that seemed to dart every direction at once.

“Pitiful,” said Wes, “You’d think a place housing the Dragon Balls would be more… what’s the word…”

“Lively?” offered Nicron.

“Dragon Balls,” scoffed Rilan, “I can’t believe one like Frieza would believe in such fairy tales. He will be very disappointed when they do not work. It is nothing but a waste of time, time that he could be spending pirating more valuable planets.”

“He’s rather stubborn, Rilan,” said Sequan in his small, fast voice, “I wouldn’t let him hear you speaking like that.”

“It won’t be long that I will openly be able to call Frieza out like the bitch he is,” said Rilan softly, looking at his clenched fist, “But until then, my brothers, we wait and play this ridiculous Dragon Ball game.”

“Isn’t Frieza going to be mad you don’t have that Saiyan girl, Captain?” Leir asked.

“He called me off the mission,” said Rilan, “To come and assist him here. After all, if these Dragon Balls can grant him immortality, then why worry about a stupid monkey girl? Why worry about any pitiful Saiyan?”

“Hey, Captain,” said Leir, beginning to smile.

“Yes?”

“I just got a message from Frieza’s ship. Seems that we have an unexpected guest here on Namek. And it looks like he just took out Qui.”

“Qui?” Rilan gathered a look of distaste on his face, “It’s about time. That arrogant scaly coward has lived far past his due. Who should I go congratulate on a job well done?”

“It’s Vegeta, sir,” said Leir.

“Vegeta…” Rilan smiled lightly, “Silly prince. He thinks he’s a match for Frieza? I must say, I’m surprised he managed to stamp out Qui. I thought he was weaker than that sniveling suck-up.”

“Seems he learned a few tricks from his defeat on Earth,” said Wes.

“Let me deal with him, Captain,” said Sequan eagerly, “I owe him one.”

Rilan looked down at the little being, “Fine. But hurry back. Frieza will return soon, and I want all of my squad here.”

“Yes, sir,” said Sequan, and blasted off into the sky.
♠ ♠ ♠
There will be four parts in the actual dragon ball Z series area, one for each saga, one of which is completely original. Part one: Namek, is the Frieza saga, and this section has a lot of comedy. Keep in mind, I partially base this off of Team Four Star's DBZ abridged series, and have a lot of inside jokes reguarding it. It is a hilarious parody that is worth checking out if you are a DBZ fan.
Song for this chapter: In Too Deep by Sum 41