Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Child's Play

Makoto folded his arms and leaned against the wall next to Trunks while Goten slid down to sit. He eyes the room they were waiting in that was just outside the ring, which was more of a square. The "movie" had just ended and he raked the room with his eyes.

"They're all humans," he muttered.

"Well, duh," said Trunks, "What did you expect?"

Makoto sighed, closing his eyes, "This is going to be so dull," he mumbled, "I wanted to fight with the adults."

"Me too!" said Goten, "It's dumb that they put us here."

"Well, what are you going to buy, Goten? With your prize money?" Trunks asked.

"I dunno, toys a guess," Goten laughed, "What about you guys?"

"I'll give it to your grandpa, Trunks," Makoto grinned over at him, "So he can make us more robots to fight with."

"That's a good idea!" Goten said, hopping up.

"I dunno what I'll buy," said Trunks.

"Well, being part of the richest family in the world, you don't really need any more toys, huh?" said Goten.

"Hey! Pipsqueaks!"

Makoto and the other boys turned to see a trio of teens coming toward them. He perked a brow.

The blond pointed at Trunks, "You're gonna be my first victim! I hope you're wearing diapers for extra padding!"

He threw a punch but stopped an inch from Trunks face, as if to frighten him. Trunks didn't even blink.

"Huh, don't you flinch?" the blond demanded.

Trunks smirked at him, "Not from weaklings," he said, "You best walk away."

Makoto and Goten laughed.

The boy gritted his teeth, "Huh! And what about you?" he pointed at Makoto, "I didn't know that the age requirement went down to two!"

Makoto stopped laughing, but smirked, "And I didn't know they let girls in," he said.

Grunting in anger, the kid huffed, "You two just sealed your fates! I'll tear you apart in the ring!"

"Yeah. We'll see about that, won't we?" Trunks leaned against the wall again, closing his eyes and smirking, "Go run along, punk."

Makoto and Goten laughed as the three of them stalked off.

"These kids sure are mean," Goten added after a moment, "I mean, we didn't even say anything to him!"

"He's trying to act tough to make up for how weak he is," said Makoto, nodding wisely, "My Dad says a lot of humans do that."

"Hey, ease up on the 'human' talk, Makoto," said Trunks quietly, looking around, "We're supposed to be fitting in, remember?"

"I don't see why," Makoto grumbled, placing his fists on his hips, "It's dumb. Not only can we not fight with the adults, we can't even fight each other at our full strength 'cause Gohan said no transformations."

"Well you heard my Mom," said Trunks, "We'd have reporters all over at our houses."

"So we blow them up," Makoto shrugged.

Goten looked at Makoto, "We can't do that though, Makoto, we'd get in trouble! And it's wrong to hurt innocent people!"

Makoto sighed, but before he could reply, a man came into the room.

"Okay kids! Come on out on the stage!" he called.

Makoto brightened, "Well, at least we get to fight now," he said.

Trunks grinned, "Come on."

They followed the other kids out onto the stage. It appeared there weren't any females, all boys. They lined themselves on the edge. Makoto stayed between Trunks and Goten. He scanned the crowd and spotted his parents up on the highest part above the bleachers. He saw his mother wave and he grinned.

"Go get 'em Trunks!" he heard Miss Bulma call, and then, Auntie Chichi's voice, "Good luck, sweetheart! You too, Makoto!"

"Unlike the adult division, there are no prerequisites. All thirty five of these young fighters get to show their skills on the stage! First match!" the announcer declared.

After about five matches of watching little human kids cry at each other, Makoto's name was finally called.

"Next up! Twelve year old Adaysa versus Five year old Makoto!"

Trunks clapped a hand on his shoulder, "Show 'em who's boss, kay?"

"Good luck, Makoto!" Goten grinned at him.

Makoto scoffed, "Like I need luck."

It was one of the three boys that had been with the blond kid. He smirked as they went to the center of the ring.

"Well, well! I get to knock you out before my brother gets a chance! What a shame," he gloated.

"Can it," Makoto said lacing his hands behind his head casually.

Adaysa gritted his teeth, "Why you little punk…" he hissed.

"Three! Two! One! FIGHT!" The announcer called.

With a cry, Adaysa rushed forward. Makoto didn't even move his hands from behind his head as the kid threw a punch into his gut with all his might. Makoto didn't budge.

"Wh-what?" Adaysa wailed, taking a step back and staring down at Makoto.

Makoto looked up at him, "Are you gonna start trying anytime soon?" he asked.

Adaysa gritted his teeth, and made to punch him again, this time in the face. Makoto ducked, and the kid lost balance, but quickly recovered.

"Apparently not," said Makoto, rolling his eyes.

Adaysa launched forward, trying to grapple him, but Makoto was small, and slipped between his legs. Once behind him, he jumped up and spun, slamming a kick hard in Adaysa's back. The boy was sent flying across the stage, off, and into the wall just beneath the spectators. It crumbled a bit as he fell to the grass that surrounded the stage.

There were shocked gasps all around and Makoto began heading back for the building, his arms crossed.

"What a waste of time," he muttered.

"R-ring out," stammered the announcer. Regaining his composure, he called, "Makoto goes to the next round!"

"Wow, Makoto!" Goten grinned at him as he returned, "You sure showed him!"

"Pfft," Makoto closed his eyes, "They should just count everyone out and let us fight each other in the finals, skip the boring stuff."

"This is why I wanted to fight with the adults," said Trunks, nodding.

"Way to go, hun!" Makoto heard his mother call. He smiled and turned, waving up at her. He saw his father's hard stare and stopped, clenching his fists.

He was going to win, he had to, to show his father how strong he had become!

*scene change*

The fights continued, and Katima grinned as she watched her son, her nephew, and Trunks tear through the fights. They continued to amaze the crowd with their shocking strength, and easy wins. And finally, the second to last fight was there.

"And now, the semi-finals! Audience, you've seen these boys before, it's five year old Makoto versus seven year old Goten!" the announcer called, "These boys are actually cousins! And though they do their fighting in the woods, today they've picked a new battle field!"

Katima beamed. She wasn't sure who she wanted to win, Makoto was her son, but Goten was her nephew.

"Do your best, boys!" she called.

Vegeta shot her a glare. She knew who he wanted to win. Of course he wanted Makoto to beat Goku's youngest. She sighed. Stupid rivalry…

Makoto looked up and grinned at her. Goten waved. Goku tossed an arm around Katima's shoulders, "Who knew our kids would be fighting at the world tournament, huh?" he laughed.

Katima chuckled, "I suppose when I first met you, and you told me this would happen, I would have slapped you."

Krillin laughed, "Yeah, you being married to Vegeta and me being married to 18 and Rilan being married to Bulma and all of us having kids!" he shook his head, his black hair flipping a bit, "Some insane stuff!"

"I don't regret a thing," Katima cast a grin back to Vegeta who didn't smile, but blushed a bit.

Rilan beamed, "Me neither. I got a family, and great friends, and I get to see a great fight," he smirked down at the boys as they squared off, "I am a little disappointed that they can't transform, but I suppose it is for the best."

Goku looked at him, "No transforming?"

"Of course," snapped 18, leaning on the railing, "Do you want everyone to recognize you all from the Cell Games videos?"

"Not to mention the entire ring getting destroyed," said Krillin, "What would we fight on?"

"Piccolo and I destroyed the stage," said Goku, smiling back at the Namekian, "It was one of the best fights I ever had!"

Piccolo smirked a bit.

Vegeta scoffed, crossing his arms and fixing his gaze down on his son.

"But that isn't what I meant, what do you mean by transforming?" asked Goku.

Before anyone could answer him, however, the fight began.

*scene change*

Makoto squared off, holding his hands up at the ready, smirking.

"Ready, Goten?" he asked.

Goten beamed at him, "Sure am!"

"I might as well warn you, coz, I'm gonna win," Makoto clenched his fists, "I've been having special training with my dad!"

"Gohan's been teaching me, too!" Goten grinned big.

"Good," said Makoto, "I'd hate to be bored!"

He and Goten launched at each other. Makoto whipped out a punch, aiming for Goten's face, but Goten was ready, ducking it and throwing up a knee. Makoto grabbed it with both of his hands to block it and gripped him to spin him. Goten twisted out of his grip, flipping back and landing nimbly. He jumped forward within a blink, and Makoto yelped as he was forced to flatten himself on the ground to dodge his tackle. As he went down he flipped on his back and made to punch up at Goten as he went over him, but Goten was quick, blocking it with a forearm and twisting it away.

Goten landed and Makoto jumped to his feet, running forward again. They began brawling across the stage, blocking and dodging each other's hits, but finally, Goten landed a blow across Makoto's face. Thrust back, Makoto quickly recovered and took advantage of Goten laughing in victory to land his own punch. Goten yelped and growled, launching at him again.

Makoto flipped as he kicked up and managed to hit Goten, sending him flying upward. Goten stopped midair, and Makoto jumped up to meet him, their brawl continuing in the air. Makoto knew his advantage was here. Goten was stronger than him last they fought, but Makoto was better at flying. He darted through the air around his cousin, jabbing out at any openings he saw. It seemed Goten quickly gathered that he was vulnerable up here as he took a good few hits. He landed and smirked up at Makoto, beckoning him.

Makoto remained up in the air, grinning.

"What's wrong, Goten?" he called, "Scared of fighting me up here?"

"No way!" Goten smirked, "Watch this!"

He held his hands back, and Makoto gasped as he felt power spark.

"Kamehame-" an orb of power grew between Goten's hands, "HAAA!" he thrust them forward and a massive blast headed for Makoto.

Yelping Makoto darted out of the way. The blast went flying over and blasted into the roof of the building behind him.

Makoto grinned, "So we're gonna play like that?" he laughed, "Okay!"

He held his hands together, "Final Flash!" he called, a move his father had taught him, and a bright white blast went sailing toward Goten.

"Eep!" Goten squeaked and braced himself.

Makoto was confused, Goten was going to let it hit him? But then, to his great surprise, the blast was rebounded and started heading straight back up to him. Makoto wailed and flew out of the way, and saw the blast fly up over the audience, off into the sky. He looked back at Goten, smirking.

"That was neat!" he said, "But it's not gonna save you!"

Goten laughed, "We'll see!"

Makoto darted down, landing and running at Goten. He was determined to get the fight up in the air again where he had the advantage. His father had taught him to always fight where he did his best is possible. Strategy was as important as strength.

He would show his father how much he had learned!

*scene change*

Katima smiled down at the brawling boys. They were doing great! She had seen the boys train, but this was really heated, she had never seen them fight so hard. Her little Makoto really had learned so much, and it was amazing to see how smart he was. It was hard to believe he was only five with his tactics. Vegeta really had trained him well. And Goten was doing just as good, his techniques reminded her of both Gohan, Goku, and Piccolo, but there was another fighting style there too.

"Wow, they're really going at it!"

Katima turned and smiled when she saw Gohan and Videl running toward them.

"We finally got through the tests!" said Gohan.

"What took you so long, Gohan?" Krillin smirked devilishly, "Oh, I see, you were with your girlfriend!"

Gohan turned red, "No! It's not like that, we're friends!"

"Suuuuurrre…" Krillin laughed.

"Gohan, is that sunburn, or are you blushing?" Goku chuckled.

"Look at them go!" Videl didn't seem to be paying any attention, looking up at the two boys, "They're more powerful than most of the adult competitors! This is insane!"

Katima grinned sheepishly. Of course, these boys could cream most of the adult competition. They hadn't shown half of their power to Videl when they trained together.

However the fight came to a standstill when Makoto managed to get Goten in a wrestler's hold up in the air. Katima looked up to see Goten wriggling madly, howling in pain. Makoto kept his grip tight.

She could barely make out his words, "Just give up, Goten!" he was saying.

"No!" Goten wailed.

"Oh no!" Goku said, "This looks bad!"

Vegeta chuckled, "Actually, it looks quite good, if you're rooting for Makoto."

Gohan called out, "Come on, Goten!"

Katima was a bit startled. Makoto wasn't always this strong- it used to be that Goten outmatched him quite a bit, but… of course! She remembered how quickly her son had grasped the concepts of flying. He was more focused that Goten, and though Goten was strong, Makoto thought things through and used strategy. He truly was his father's son. Up in the air, Makoto had the advantage.

Suddenly, she felt a spark of power rip from Goten. She gasped as Goten transformed, his hair leaping to gold and easily ripping out of Makoto's grip. He flipped and landed on the stage, looking up at Makoto, and his hair going back to black.

Makoto looked furious.

"HEY!" he shouted, "Goten! Gohan said NO transforming! That wasn't fair!"

"What?" Goku yelped, "Goten can turn into a Super Saiyan? But he's so young!"

Katima glanced at Videl to see her staring down at the match with bugged eyes. She rubbed the bridge of her nose.

"Aw, Goten!" Gohan smacked his forehead with his palm, "Damn it…"

"He's not the only one, Kakarot," snapped Vegeta, "Makoto can transform too, and it was agreed that there would be none! That was against the rules!"

Goku looked at him, "Don't look at me, he did it!" he said.

"Sorry, I forgot!" Goten giggled.

Makoto landed, crossing his arms, "Yeah right!" he scoffed, closing his eyes and pouting.

"I won't do it again, promise!" Goten said, smiling big.

Makoto huffed, opening his eyes and placing his hands on his hips, "Whatever. This just means I'm not gonna go easy on you!"

"Ha!" Goten laughed, "We'll see about that, coz!"

Makoto smirked and powered up, a white aura flickering around him. He held out his arms wide and then slammed them together. A huge wave of power rocketed toward Goten. Caught off guard, he was sent flying across the ring. He went over the edge, and the crowd gasped, but Goten was stopped midair, and inch above the grass. He flew up and landed, smiling.

"That was cool, Makoto!" he said, "Where'd you learn that?"

Makoto smirked, "I came up with that one all by myself," he said.

Goten grinned, "I have one too!"

Makoto tilted his head, "Really?" he asked, "Show me."

Goten hopped forward, he pointed his hands down and back a bit, then he jumped and blasted power behind him at once making him launch forward like a bullet. Makoto didn't have time to dodge and was head butted by his cousin. Knocked backward, he slammed hard on his back, clutching his face.

"OOW! Goten what's your head made out of?"

Goten giggled and rushed Makoto while he was still down, kicking him high up into the air. Makoto wailed as he was sent flying. Goten smiled and shot up, above him, then rocketed down, slamming and elbow into Makoto's gut. Katima cringed as her son went flying back down and crashed onto the stage. She felt irritation from Vegeta and glanced to see him glaring down at the fight.

Goten landed and pinned Makoto down. The announcer lifted a hand and called.

"It looked like Goten has pinned young Makoto down! He has ten counts to get free! One! Two!"

Makoto struggled wildly as the announcer got closer and closer to ten. Goten kept him pinned fast though. Katima felt desperation hit her. So, she did want Makoto to win, after all. Hell, it was her son. But still, she felt a bit bad that she didn't want the same for Goten, she loved him too.

"Eight!"

"NO!"

Makoto suddenly powered up, and a golden blast sent Goten off of him and he leapt up and landed, his hair spiked and golden, his green eyes narrowed as he landed. Goten was sent sailing off toward the audience. They yelped and bailed in the area that Goten was heading for. She saw him trying to stop his momentum, but he couldn't do it in time. His feet landed on the bleachers.

"Oh no!" Goku said sadly.

"Aw," said Gohan, frowning, "And we trained so hard."

Vegeta chuckled, pride washing from him, "Good luck next year, Kakarot."

Goku sighed, "Well, at least we get to see one more fight."

Makoto was beaming and powered down, his hair returning to black.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it looks like Makoto is going to the finals!" the announcer cried.

The crowd went wild, and Katima smiled a bit, "Good job, Makoto!" she called, "You too, Goten! You did really well!"

"Makoto!" Goten went to the edge of the stage, glaring up at him, "You cheater, you went Super!"

Makoto smirked down at him, "Hey, you went Super too," he said, "So this just makes us even!"

Goten pouted.

Makoto rolled his eyes, "Don't be mad, coz. Tell you what, you can have three of my toys, your pick."

Goten brightened, "Oh, wow, really?" he beamed, "Thanks Makoto! I know which ones I want too!"

"Th-that-" Videl spoke finally, still looking shell shocked. She suddenly steeled, looking at Gohan, "Oh I get it, buster!"

Gohan looked at her.

"You've been giving them special training without me!" she snapped.

"N-no!" Gohan said, "It's not like that at all!"

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, it is time for the finals! And boy, if it's anything like that last fight we sure are in for a treat! Eight year old Trunks versus five year old Makoto!"

Makoto turned to grin at Trunks who stepped up on the stage and adjusted the tied belt around his waist. He grinned at the younger boy.

"That was a pretty good fight, Makoto," Trunks said, "But I'm not going to go easy on you, and I'm not going to cheat and transform!"

Goten went to stand beside the announcer, grinning at him and then looking toward the other boys.

Katima grinned over at Rilan, who smirked.

"Makoto may find it a bit more difficult to beat Trunks," he said.

"Pfft," Vegeta rolled his eyes, "We'll see about that."

Videl stared down, "This is the boy he lives with?"

Katima nodded while Rilan said, "That's my son. He and Makoto have known each other all their lives, just like Goten. It will be an interesting fight."
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: There's a Class For This by Cute is What We Aim For.