Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Ultimate Sacrifice

Rilan stared down at the fight, a terrible feeling in the pit of his stomach. As he watched, he realized that the power that Katima and Vegeta were fighting at were far beyond his own, but that didn't make any sense! This morning, they were completely even! What was different?

"Do you feel that, too, Rilan?" Piccolo asked.

Rilan glanced at him.

"Katima and Vegeta's power," he said, "It's that of beyond a Super Saiyan, far beyond. I haven't felt anything this strong since Gohan fought Cell."

"It's stronger," said Rilan, looking back, clenching his fists, "Something's happened to them since this morning."

"My parents are the best!" Makoto said, throwing a fist into the air, his tail lashing excitedly, "They always fight best together, Mom told me so!"

"But even when we were on Xeknos, they weren't this strong," Rilan said, looking at Piccolo, then at the boys, "Kids, did any of you see Goku or Gohan?"

"I haven't seen Gohan since he told me to take Videl back," said Makoto, he waved his hands after a second, "Oh but don't worry, Krillin was with her! He probably got her back!"

"Trunks, Goten?" Rilan asked.

"I dunno where my Dad or brother are," said Goten, frowning, "They gotta be close!"

Rilan looked back and saw Piccolo glaring at the ground, "I don't know where Goku is," he said quietly, "But… Katima said something about Gohan…"

By the look on his face, Rilan knew. His stomach clenched. No! That Buu monster… it killed Gohan!

"What?" asked Goten, "What about Gohan?"

Rilan looked down at the boy. Now was not the time, he thought. He could tell Goten about Gohan later… if there was a later. He looked to the fight, clenching his fists.

It seemed that Majin Buu just kept bouncing back, almost literally, every time that Katima and Vegeta pushed him back. He was resisting nearly all of their attacks. The creature wasn't bothering to dodge because he didn't have to. Finally, when the monster came out of a crater it had been slammed into, skipping toward Katima and Vegeta, he saw them form their signature joined attack, the Big Bang attack mixed with the Eternal Burn.

It blasted forward, and Rilan beamed as it cut a hole clean through the creature. Buu fell to the ground, that hold must have been two feet in diameter.

"Haha!" Makoto jumped excitedly, "Take that, freak!"

"Wow, Makoto!" Goten said, "Your parents sure showed him!"

Trunks grabbed Rilan's arm, "It looks like Makoto's mom and dad beat him, dad!" he said, smiling.

Rilan laughed, "I suppose that their Bond really does give them extrodinary power…" he looked forward, but Piccolo was still scowling, "What's up, Piccolo?" he asked.

"It isn't over," Piccolo growled.

Rilan frowned, but then his eyes widened. That thing's power was growing. He gasped as it got up, and the hole through it sunk shut.

"Uh!" Makoto yelped, "H-how did it-?"

"Is it immortal?" hissed Rilan, "It regenerated faster than you or Cell, Piccolo- did you see?"

"I saw," said Piccolo gravely, "I don't think even Katima and Vegeta can do this alone."

"What?" Makoto looked at him, "But my parents are way stronger than that thing, Piccolo! There's no way- r-right?" he looked back at Rilan, "Mister Rilan, tell him! You know how strong my mom and dad are!"

Rilan didn't answer him, and that made Makoto's face pale. He looked toward the fight, his tail stiffening.

"Dad," Trunks said, "Is that thing really that strong?"

Before he could answer, Buu began to power up. It was such a raw and empty power. It grew, the red aura bursting, growing and growing.

"Get down!" Piccolo cried, grabbing Goten, who yelped, and rushed behind a boulder.

Rilan hooked and arm around Trunks and Makoto and threw them onto the ground, shielding them both with his body. The power that Buu was generating burst, the wave making the rocks around them explode and topple. Rilan grit his teeth as some boulders fell on him, but he kept his spine straight, refusing to let the weight crush down on the children. Finally, it calmed, and he sent out a burst of his own power to break the rocks off of him and stood.

"Are you two okay?" he asked the boys.

The got up, brushing themselves off, Makoto shook out his tail.

"We're fine, Dad," said Trunks, "You didn't have to knock us down…"

Piccolo came out from behind and boulder, setting Goten down. Goten looked wide eyed, "That was really strong!" he said.

Rilan looked toward the fight, "Oh no…" he breathed.

*scene change*

That power burst had been intense. Katima slowly sat up, hissing in pain and blood ran down her arm and face. It had been so stark that it had ripped her skin in places.

"V-Vegeta!" she cried, looking around.

Vegeta was a few feet away, down on one knee. He was gasping, blood pouring from a gash on his brow and shoulder.

"What IS this thing?" he hissed, getting to his feet, clutching his arm, "Everything we throw at it, it just comes back!"

Katima staggered to her feet, going toward her husband, "Vegeta, we can do this," she said, "We just have to fight with our feelings, like we did against Dengen! Remember?"

"N-no," Vegeta growled.

"You idiot," Katima grabbed the front of his tattered jumpsuit, "Don't you get it, it's our only chance!"

"No, Katima," Vegeta said, looking her in the eyes, "That isn't what I meant. Even with the Bond, it won't work if this thing can just regenerate!"

Katima opened her mouth, but there was a shake as Buu landed by them. They both whirled to face him, gritting their teeth and fists clenching, their guard up.

Buu smiled at them like a child, rubbing his belly, "Buu no drop dead," he said cheerfully, "No no no! YOU drop dead!"

He grabbed his belly, and began to pull. Katima watched, slightly repulsed as he plucked off a large part of his own substance, as if it were play dough. He stretched the orb he had, like silly putty.

"What a disgusting creature," Vegeta hissed.

And then, Buu opened his mouth, and a huge energy ball flew at them.

They both launched into the air to avoid it, but Buu kept on spitting them. The two of them were forced to bounce around to avoid each it, the red orbs blasting out the ground beneath them. Finally, they bumped into one another trying to avoid them, and right then, Katima saw the thing Buu had plucked from his belly, sling at them.

"Vegeta!" she shouted, trying to scramble away, but too late.

The thing wrapped around them both like a snake, pinning their backs together and their limbs to their sides. It hugged them from shoulder to ankle, and they fell like a rock to the ground.

"Fuck!" Vegeta hissed, and she felt him strain, "How could we be so careless?"

"How was I supposed to know it could control its skin like this?" Katima gasped, trying to use her strength to pull her arms from her sides, but the thing around them was like a muscle of its own.

Buu came skipping over to them, humming happily. Katima struggled, "Vegeta, we have to think fast!"

"This thing is too strong," Vegeta said, "And his blast weakened us both!"

Buu reached them, smirking down at them with his squinted eyes. Then, he kicked them. They flew a ways across the landscape and landed heavily. He had kicked Katima mainly, and she was wracked with pain in her stomach, certain that some of her organs had just been reorginaized.

"Katima!" Vegeta cried from behind her, "Katima, say something!"

"I- I'm okay-" Katima lied, the metallic tang of blood on her tongue.

She was facing away from Buu this time, and felt the steps of the thing approaching through the earth below her.

"Vegeta…" she whispered, trying to look around.

Buu jumped up high, and crashed down on them. His weight wass sheer and terribly painful. Katima and Vegeta both screamed, their arms snapping under the weight. Buu giggled madly and spread his arms wide and them clapped them over their heads, making them bang against each other and busting their noses against his hands.

He hopped off, and laughed, then hummed as he squeazed his hands into fists. The piece of him wrapped about them tightened and they both screamed in agony as they were squeezed against themselves and each other, their bones creaking.

But then, something flashed by. It crashed into Buu, and sent him sailing away, out of sight. Rilan landed, shining blue lines trailing across his skin. He turned, his glowing eyes alight. Katima felt conscience fade.

She floated in the darkness for a moment, slightly aware she was no longer bound. She heard voices tossed around her.

"No! Mom, Dad! Wake up, WAKE UP!"

"Makoto, get back to Piccolo-"

"NO! Mom! Dad! Please, please wake up!"

"Are they alive?"

"OF COURSE THEY ARE! Goten- my parents- they're some of the strongest in the whole universe! My mom told me my dad used to be the prince of all the Saiyans! And my dad told me my mom was one of the bravest people he ever met! My mom and dad- they're the King and Queen of ALL the Saiyans! And they couldn't be beat by some stupid monster!"

Katima reached out, gasping, "Ma-Makoto-" she hissed.

"Mom?"

Her eyes flickered open and she saw Rilan over her, Makoto over on her other side, his hands still on Vegeta's chest. She sat up, gasping in pain. Rilan put a hand on her shoulder, "Easy," he said.

Goten and Trunks were nearby. All three of the boys were powered up, Makoto and Goten Super Saiyans, and Trunks ascended like his father. Vegeta was sitting up as well, clutching his stomach.

"Makoto," he whispered, then gapsed, looking around, "Where is Majin Buu?"

"It's okay!" Makoto said as his parents got to their feet, "We're all here! Mister Rilan sent him across the whole valley!"

Katima looked at Vegeta, and he met her gaze. There was meaning there. He knew just as well as she did.

There was only one way to kill Majin Buu.

Above them, Katima felt a sharp outburst of power. She looked up to see Piccolo, his hand out, and two halves of the bastard wizard Bobbity falling to the ground. He had killed him, which made their path even more absolute. With no one left to control Majin Buu, he had to be stopped.

"Rilan," Vegeta looked at him, "I want you to take the boys as far from here as possible."

Rilan blinked, but Katima saw the understanding cross his face too.

"What?" Trunks frowned, "But Mister Vegeta, we can help! With all of us fighting together, we could beat him real fast!"

"Yeah, Uncle Vegeta!" Goten said, beaming, "We could gang up on him! He wouldn't stand a chance!"

"Let us help, Dad," said Makoto, his golden tail held high, "He won't stand a chance!"

"No," Katima said.

Makoto looked at her, shock in his eyes, "But Mom-"

"Listen to me," Katima knelt, placing her hands on her son's shoulders, "I love you, Makoto," she kissed him on the forehead, making him squeak and rub the spot she kissed, sticking out his tongue, "But your father and I must do this alone."

"Mom-!" Makoto began, but Vegeta spoke.

"Makoto."

He fell silent and Katima stood, turning to see Vegeta looking at Makoto, "You are my only son," he said softly, "But I haven't held you since you were a baby, have I?"

Katima rest a hand over her heart, fighting off the feeling of tears coming to her eyes. Vegeta went to Makoto and knelt, grabbing his son and pulling him into his chest. Makoto remained frozen, as if in shock.

"Dad, what are you doing…?" he asked, "This is embarrassing… Come on Dad…"

Katima saw the look on Vegeta's face that was on Makoto's shoulder. He kept both arms around his son, and she knew the regret he had there. She realized with a pang in her heart that it was now that he was truly giving in to his feelings. There had always been a block before, even on Xeknos. But now, faced with Buu, and the ultimate fate that must be met, he was comepletely open, like a gaping wound, all the feelings he had tried so very hard over the years to deny and to hide pouring forth.

Vegeta released Makoto, standing, "Makoto, I want you to know, you've made me very proud," he said softly.

Makoto looked up, looking totally confused. Katima felt her eyes burn, a single tear coming down her cheek which she quickly wiped away. Vegeta smiled at his son, and them swiftly thwapped the side of his neck with his hand.

Makoto fell sideways, letting out a soft gasp as his hair returned to black just before he landed limply on the ground.

"AH!" Goten and Trunks yelped.

But Rilan smacked the back of Trunks' head with the back of his hand. His own son fell to the ground unconscious, the lines fading from his skin. Goten was looking between the two men with shocked eyes.

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT?" he wailed, "How could you hit them, you could have killed them, why would you do that to Makoto and Trunks! Why? Auntie Katima!" he rushed to her grabbing her arm, "Tell them! They're their dads! Dad's aren't supposed to do that to their sons! Please!"

Katima smiled sadly down at him, "Keep good care of your mother, Goten," she whispered, "I'm very proud of you. And I'm sorry."

With that, she punched the child in the stomach. Goten let out a painful gasp, clutching his gut, staggering back, and then falling to his knees, then his front, his hair returning to black.

Piccolo landed staring at them, his eyes saddened.

"I think I understand," he said softly.

"Please take good care of Makoto," Katima said, looking up at Rilan.

"One day, Makoto will understand too, Katima," said Rilan, kneeling down and picking up Trunks, tossing the boy over his shoulder, "I'll make sure of it."

"You'll both die… you know that…" Piccolo murmured.

"Tell me something," said Vegeta, looking at Piccolo, "Will I meet that clown, Kakarot?"

"I'm not going to lie to you, Vegeta," said Piccolo, "Goku spent his entire life protecting innocent lives and those he cared about. Because of his selflessness he was allowed to keep his body. You've spent most of your life destroying lives and causing destruction… You will not be given the same gift."

Vegeta chuckled softly, "Ah well," he said, "Take the boys and get as far away from here as possible."

"Of course," Piccolo knelt and collected Makoto and Goten.

Katima looked at Piccolo, then at her limp son. She heard the humming of Buu as he approached, and she clenched her fists, "Go," she said, "Now!"

Rilan and Piccolo nodded and flew away. Katima turned to her husband as Buu approached.

"It's a shame," she whispered, "That you have waited to come alive just in time to die."

Vegeta turned, his eyes were pained, "I am sorry for everything I have put you through," he murmured, "You deserved better."

"But I wanted you," said Katima, tears burning her eyes, "I always will, my love."

"Who hit Buu?"

They turned to see Buu was back, glaring around.

"Your fight is with us," Vegeta said, pointing at him, "We finally understand you!"

"Hm?" Buu looked at them, tilting his head to the side like a confused child.

"You have to be blown apart until there's nothing left to regenerate," said Katima smiling at him, "Your path ends here, Majin Buu. We won't allow you to hurt anyone else!"

Vegeta reached out for her and she grabbed his hand.

This was it.

She focused all her will on her feelings, her love for Vegeta and Makoto, her family, her friends, this planet she falled home. The Bond between her and Vegeta swelled, pushed to such an intense extreme that it surpassed what they had back on Xeknos. They both screamed to the sky, the golden aura around them pulsating, growing larger and larger. She heard Buu begin to cry in pain.

"I love you, Katima," Vegeta cried, grabbing her face in his hands.

"I love you!" Katima said before his lips pressed to hers.

The Bond burst. The power around them flared out, and explosion so powerful that not only did she feel Buu being torn apart, but her and Vegeta's own bodies began to ebb. With a final blast of power, their bodies with the Bond powering them, burst. And Katima fell into content darkness, the last thing she felt was Vegeta's lips on hers, then… death.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: Dark Side by Kelly Clarkson