Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

Determination

Makoto rolled to get more comfortable, but fell right off the bed. He landed hard and yelped, sitting up and rubbing his nose. His neck was soar for some reason, maybe he slept on it wrong. Slowly, he stood, intent on going into the rest of the estate to find Trunks to play, when he realized he was not in his room. Makoto was in a large, round, white room with a big bed in the center of it with lacey fabric hanging on its four posters. The rest of the room was fairly empty, but the big dome ceiling had paintings on it. He was looking all around, amazed, when he took in that Trunks and Goten were still sleeping on the bed.

Getting back on the bed, Makoto shook Trunks, who was closest, "Trunks! Goten! Wake up! I think we were captured or something!"

Trunks slowly blinked awake and looked around, "Wha… where is this place…?" he sat up, rubbing his head, "Owww! My head is killing me!" looking over at Goten, he shook the boy, "Goten, Goten wake up," he said.

Goten merely rolled over, snoozing on.

"I gotta idea," said Makoto, "Goten! It's time for breakfast!"

Goten shot straight up, knocking Trunks into Makoto, sending them both off the bed.

"Food? Where?" Goten asked.

Trunks got off of Makoto, groaning, "Why do you even have ears Goten, all you can hear with is your stomach!"

"Oh, hi Trunks," said Goten, "Where are we?"

"I dunno, the last thing I remember…" Makoto trailed off, tehn gasped, "My parents! Guys, where are my parents?"

"Oh that's right," said Goten, pointing at Makoto, "Your dad hit you! And then your dad hit YOU!" Goten pointed at Trunks, then thumbed his chest, "And Auntie Katima hit me! But why?"

"I dunno," said Makoto, worry filling him, but then he pushed it aside. His parents couldn't be in any trouble, they could do anything! But… maybe while they were fighting that Buu monster, the wizard took them somewhere.

He voiced this to the other boys, and Trunks looked around.

"Well these are really nice accomidations for prisoners," he said, "Let's check the door."

The three boys went to the door, and it opened without protest.

"If we're captured, why wouldn't they lock us in?" asked Trunks, looking at Makoto.

"Maybe they're trying to trick us!" said Goten, nodding.

"Or maybe you two are just morons," sighed Trunks, stepping out into a hallway, "Look at this place! It's like a palace!"

Makoto followed him out and looked around the fancy white hall with its beautiful paintings and tapestries all along the walls. It was amazing. But where whas this?

"Boys? Boys!"

Makoto froze when a man with ink black skin and ruby red lips came toward them. His guard was instantly up, and he glared at this man. Trunks and Goten also put up their defense, all three of them crouching.

"Wait boys, calm down," said the man, "I am Mr. Popo. You are safe, at the Lookout."

"Lookout?" Trunks frowned, "Wait, my mom has told me about the Lookout, the guardian of the world lives up here and Piccolo!"

"That's right," Mr. Popo smiled, "Your father is here as well, if you will follow me, you have training to do."

"Training?" Goten asked, "But.. what kind?"

The three boys were led downstairs into a huge room where Rilan and Kakarot were. Piccolo was beside them. Makoto was surprised at the sight of them, and Trunks ran to his father, though he looked mad.

"Why did you hit me?" he demanded.

"I had to," said Rilan, looking down at his son sympathetically, "You boys weren't going to leave it alone. It was the only way to assure you wouldn't interfere."

"You boys have to train hard now," said Kakarot, "Makoto, I know you're strong, but you aren't big enough to do the fusion. Only Trunks and Goten will be able to do it now."

"What?" Makoto blinked, "Fusion?"

"Where two people of similar size and power fuse together to make one being," said Kakarot, "You're too small, even compared to Goten, so the other boys will have to be the ones to do it."

"But what for?" asked Makoto, "That Buu monster can't still be alive, my parents went to kill it, didn't they? Where are they?"

Kakarot's face fell. Makoto looked at his uncle with harsh eyes, a strange feeling welling inside him, "Kakarot!" he shouted, making the man blink in surprise, "Where are my mom and dad?"

"Makoto," Rilan stepped forward, "I want you to understand, that Buu is not dead. He is extremely powerful, and all of us here are lucky to be alive from his onslaught… but… Gohan, and your parents, were killed by him."

"What?" Goten cried, taking a step back, "No! That's not true! My big brother can't be dead!"

Makoto was stricken with shock, frozen there, like his feet were glued to the ground. It felt like he were in an elevator that kept changing direction, shooting up, then down, so fast it threatened to unbalance him. He slowly clenched his teeth, his fists closed.

"No…" he breathed.

"Makoto," Kakarot stepped forward, "Your parents gave their lives to try to kill Majin Buu and save you and all of the Earth, they gave it everything they had. You should be proud to call them your parents, they were very brave."

"Shut up…" Makoto bowed his head, shaking, "You don't know- you don't know them!" tears began leaking down his face, "They couldn't be killed by that thing! They couldn't have! You're lying! You're a LIAR!" he screamed, looking up at his uncle with fury in his eyes, pumping in his veins.

"Makoto-" Kakarot held out his hand, to place it on his shoulder, or his head maybe.

"I said, SHUT UP!" Makoto shrieked, powering up to Super Saiyan. He began to scream up to the ceiling, All his rage, his fury, and his grief erupting from him, "They can't be gone!" he screamed, tears streaming down his cheeks, leaving hot trails on his flesh, "They can't have left me! Mommy! Daddy! YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME!"

The ground shook underfoot, and he heard Kakarot shouting his name. Trunks was calling to him as well, and somewhere to his right, Goten was crying too, over the loss of his brother.

"Makoto stop!" he heard Trunks shouting, "You're going to make the whole room come down!"

But Makoto couldn't even register his words properly. Who cared if this room fell? What did it matter if the whole world was destroyed? His parents where gone. His father who pushed him so hard to become the best warrior, his mother who taught him that passion led to true strength. He remembered trying so hard to make his father proud while his mother would comfort him when he was upset, and always be there to dry his tears.

But now she was gone, his father was gone, they both had left him alone on this stupid planet that was doomed. And Buu- that Buu monster… he killed them! How could he? How could he have been strong enough? Makoto grit his teeth, a blood red veil covering his vision. He would kill that monster, destroy it if it were the last thing he ever did! He didn't care if he were small or young, he would rip it apart!

"Makoto!"

Makoto stopped screaming, looking down as a little blond girl came running in the room, looking upset. Marin. She ran up to Makoto, Krillin not far behind her, looking distraught. Marin threw her arms around Makoto, and he looked down at her, eyes red and puffy, tears still leaking.

"Don't cry, Makoto," said Marin, looking up at him with those big blue eyes, "Everyt'ing is gonna be okay. I pwomise!"

Makoto just stared at her, and found that he was calmed by her words. He sniffled and hugged her back. He held her for a moment, feeling as though Marin was the only thing real in this new world where he was so very alone in.

"No more tears," snapped Kakarot, glaring at him and Goten, "You have to be strong if you hope to defeat Majin Buu."

"I want to help," said Makoto, looking at him over Marin.

"I know, and I'm sorry, Makoto," he replied, "But the only thing you can do to help right now is stay out of the way and let Trunks and Goten learn how to fuse."

Makoto glared at him, "He killed my mom and dad," he choked, his voice cracking, "How can I just sit around?"

"Then come with me."

They all turned, shocked to see Shin, standing there in the entrance. He looked completely unhurt.

"Supreme Kai!" gasped Piccolo, "You're safe!"

"Yes," said Shin, smiling lightly at him, "However, none of us will be for long. If Makoto truly wishes to help, please allow him to accompany me. While you train Trunks and Goten, I can train him. After the power spike I felt from him, I had to come. He has great power within him, all these boys do. If we work them all together… we may stand a chance."

Kakarot looked at Makoto, "His parents were two of the strongest people I ever knew, his mother was my sister, and his father my greatest rival," he slowly nodded, "I know he has power that he doesn't even know about."

"I'll do anything," said Makoto, wiping his eyes dry, and gently pushing Marin away, brushing her cheek with his tail as he approached Shin.

"So will we," said Goten, a look of hard determination crossed his face. Trunks nodded in agreement.

"Then come with me," said Shin, holding out his hand, "Goku, I trust you will train thses boys well. But… you don't have much time."

"I know," said Kakarot.

Makoto took his hand, "Where are we going?" he asked.

"To my world," said Shin, "The world of the Kais."

He had just enough time to hear Piccolo gasp in shock and hear Marin cry out his name and feel little arms wrap around him when the world around him vanished.

*scene change*

"Krillin!" 18 shouted, making Goku look over to the android as she stormed in, "How could you let Marin go?"

"How was I supposed to know she was going to run off?" Krillin cried, "Oh man… Marin!"

Goku sighed. Marin, the daughter of his best friend, had indeed rushed off and hugged Makoto, and when the light shined and vanished, she had gone with Makoto and the Supreme Kai. But he had to wonder, how was it that he was okay? Piccolo had said he was beaten to a pulp when he saw him. But then he remembered that Bulma had wished everyone back to life with the Dragon Balls that was killed today, except for the wicked. Kabito must have been revived, and went to heal his master. But then, where had Kabito been? Already back on the world of the Kais?

"You needn't worry about the girl," said Piccolo assuringly, "She's with the Supreme Kai and heading back to his home world. It is probably the safest place in the universe right now. She will be fine."

Krillin sighed and 18 still looked frustrated. Goku turned his attention to the boys before him, his youngest son, who he barely knew, and Trunks, Rilan's boy. He thought for certain that their fusion would be enough to defeat Buu, but the way that Shin spoke was like they were just one piece that they would need. It seemed that Whatever training he was going to give Makoto would be needed on top of Goten and Trunks' fusion.

How strong was this Majin Buu? He remembered back when he fought Frieza, how he was supposed to be unbeatable. But Goku pushed himself on to beat the odds that were so terribly stacked against him. The death of his best friend, Krillin, had pushed him over the edge and caused him to realize his true potential as a Super Saiyan. It had also been Katima's love for Vegeta that made it possible for her to defeat Dengen, and Gohan's love for Goku to help him defeat Cell.

If there was one thing he had learned, it was that fighting for the people one loves was the true key to power. He had known this since he was a child. He had to make sure that Goten and Trunks knew this too. He knew Makoto knew, he knew that the boy's mother would have told him that since he could understand the words. Katima… his little sister… He couldn't believe she was gone- and Gohan, his son…

Majin Buu had to pay.

"Are you boys ready?" he asked, trying to remain hard. He knew it was harsh, but he couldn't allow the boys to wallow in grief now. They had precious time to learn the fusion technique, and he had to be sure that they had at least the basics before he had to return to Other World.

Maybe he would see Gohan and Katima. Somehow, he knew Vegeta wasn't going to be there, wouldn't be allowed to keep his body, even though he knew that Vegeta deserved it now. He was finally fighting not for himself, or power, but for his son, and for his home. The sacrifice he gave should erase all his past wrong doings, but Other World didn't work like that.

The boys were nodding, and Goku nodded back at them, admiring the harsh looks in their eyes, their determination, "Good," he said, "Then let's begin."

*scene change*

The world appeared around Makoto, vast valleys of lush green grass stretching out all around him. He looked up at the sky for only a moment to see that it was incredibly colorful, shades of purple, pink, and blue scattering along it, but he had to look down quickly, gasping, for there were several full moons up there, seven at least, hanging like bobbles. If he stared too long at one, he would transform, but he had no desire to do so right now, even if he could control himself in the ape form.

"Wow!"

Makoto yelped and looked down to see Marin was still clinging to him, looking around with huge blue eyes.

"Marin!" he gasped, "What are you doing here?"

Shin chuckled next to him, smiling lightly, "It appears she has quite a bit of fondness for you Makoto. It is alright, she will be no burden here, in fact, she is quite a bit safer here than on Earth."

"I'm sowwy, Makoto," said Marin, looking at him, "But I just didn't want you to go."

Makoto scowled at the ground, slightly embarrassed, "Marin…" he grumbled, "I had to go, I need to train to defeat Buu."

"I'll help!" Marin chimed, beaming, "I'll punch him right in the face!"

"Marin, you're a human," said Makoto harshly, "You're too weak to help. Buu would eat you up, turn you into a cookie and everything!"

Marin looked terrified, and she began to cry.

Makoto scrambled, totally unprepared for the tears. He waved his arms, "But it's okay, Marin! I won't let him eat you! I promise!"

Marin slowly wiped her tears away, looking at him, "What if he eats YOU, Makoto?"

"With the training he has today, Majin Buu won't be able to keep his eye on Makoto long enough to do so," said Shin, patting the girl on her head, "Come, Kabito and Gohan should be nearby."

"Gohan?" gasped Makoto, "Did he get to keep his body like his dad? Is his spirit here?"

"No," said Shin, smiling down at the boy, "Your cousin is very much alive, Makoto. Just barely. I had Kabito bring him here and fix his wounds while I went to collect you. I felt your power just before I was going to leave with Kabito. I knew that I had to get you to bring you here to train. Between you, Gohan, andGoten and Trunks' fusion, I believe we stand a chance against Majin Buu."

Makoto stared, his cousin was alive! A small piece of joy flecked his heart. But it was still darkly shadowed.

"Makoto!"

He turned and couldn't help but smile as Gohan came running over the hill. He was in a tattered black jumpsuit, but his body looked completely unharmed and free of blood. Makoto rushed at him and Gohan picked him up and hugged him. Makoto clung to him, one of the other older male's in his life that he looked up to like his father and Rilan. He was so pleased that he was still alive, that he was here. That he, Goten, and Trunks didn't have to face Buu alone.

"Wait, isn't that Krillin's daughter?" asked Gohan as he set Makoto back down.

"She grabbed me just as Mister Shin teleported us," said Makoto, frowning, still a little peeved that the girl was so attached to him.

"Master!"

Kabito came over the hill next, and he looked at the two children with wide eyes.

"Master, I thought you went to get whoever exerted that power, not bring children here!" he gasped.

"It was young Makoto that the power was coming from, Kabito," said Shin calmly, "The girl came with on accident, but she is still young and pure. It was her affection for Makoto that brought her, reasons that I think are quite alright for coming to our world."

"Impossible," said Kabito, staring down at Makoto, "I know the boy is a Super Saiyan, but that power was immense! It couldn't have possibly come from him! He's just a child!"

"Are you saying that my senses were wrong, Kabito?" asked Shin.

Kabito blanched, "N-no master, of course not, but… two Earthling children allowed on this sacred land, along with the older one, it just doesn't seem right!"

"There are no more pure than children," said Shin, "And you forget who Gohan's father is. Goku has saved the universe more times that I can count on one hand. And Gohan himself saved it once from Cell."

"Why bring them here, though, master?" asked Kabito, "You weren't clear before you went to get the child."

"We are here to get the Z sword," said Shin simply.

Kabito let out a yelp of shock, looking completely taken off guard, "The Z sword?"

Makoto looked at Gohan, hoping his big cousin knew what they were talking about, but he just shrugged at the boy. Makoto looked back as Kabito began exclaiming.

"Master! You can't be serious! The Z sword can not be freed, none of the Kais have been able to do so, not even yourself!"

"Kabito, the reason these boys are here is because I have more than just suspicion that they are both stronger than you, and even I," said Shin, still smiling lightly, his eyes flicking from Gohan to Makoto.

Kabito just stared, shocked into silence.

Makoto looked at them both, and nodded, "Of course, we're Saiyans," he said, "We're the strongest warrior race that's ever been in existence. Tygrians are a close second, though, my dad says-" Makoto cut off, remembering the terrible fact that his father was dead. He bowed his head.

"Makoto?" Gohan looked at him, confused.

The smile on Shin's face slipped off, "Makoto, your parents died with honor. You should be proud to be their son."

"What?" Gohan cried, "Katima and Vegeta are dead?"

"They sacrificed themselves, using the Bond and all the power in their bodies to dreate an explosion so intense that their bodies simply couldn't withstand it in an attempt to kill Buu," said Shin gravely as Makoto glared at the ground, "It would have worked if Buu did not have the power to pull himself together, even if he is in the smallest of bits, which he was."

Makoto hadn't heard the exact way his parents had died until now. So technically, Buu hadn't killed them. They had killed themselves trying to kill him. They used every partical of their power, even the Bond, so much that it destroyed them, and it hadn't been enough. The world that Makoto had been living in was shattered at this fact. He had thought that somehow, Buu tricked them, or maybe they slipped up, that Buu had won purely by luck, but now, he was faced with the fact that his parents weren't the strongest in the universe as he had always believed.

And if they couldn't beat Buu…

How was he supposed to?

"Makoto, you must not think like that," said Shin, making Makoto gasp and look at him, "Your parents were truly strong, stronger than even myself, but you are strong too. I want you and Gohan to try and free the Z sword, and with it, we will defeat Buu."

"My mom has- had… a sword," said Makoto, still a little shocked that this guy could read his thoughts, "But she said that it wasn't strong enough anymore to fight with since Cell. How can some sword help us?"

"The Z sword is no ordinary blade," said Kabito harshly, "It is a devine blade that possesses grand power. But no one can free it from that rock, master, this is a fool's errand!"

"Show us where it is," said Gohan, puffing his chest, "I bet one of us can get it out."

Shin smiled lightly, "Such determination."

"Arrogance," snapped Kabito, "This is a sacred land, and the sword you speak of could not even be freed by the Supreme Kai himself!"

"But we're both stronger than him," said Makoto, "This sword kinda sounds like the Dragon Balls, with magic and stuff. It must be able to beat Buu!"

"That's the spirit," said Shin.

Kabito hissed in annoyance. Makoto looked at him, anger pumping into him, "Show me this stupid rock, I'll smash it. That'll free the sword."

"The spire can not be broken, Makoto," said Shin, "But I know the sword can be freed. Come. I will show you."

He began to fly, and Gohan jumped up after him. Makoto crouched and waved his tail, beckoning Marin.

"Get on my back," he said, "I'll carry you. You have to hold on tight." If adult humans were weak, he couldn't imagine how weak a child was.

Marin grabbed his back, clinging tightly. Makoto wrapped his tail around her waist to be safe. He flew up after Gohan and Shin, Kabito on his heels. Marin giggled as they flew.

"Wow, Makoto, we're way up!" she said.

Makoto smirked a bit. Despite how embarrassing it was for her to like him so much, he did enjoy how amazed she was at stuff that was so ordinary to him. They weren't even that high, he had been higher back on Earth. This was nothing. He bet he could really impress her if he wanted. But his face returned to a grim set of determination as he recalled the mission ahead of them.

He had to beat Buu.

He would avenge his parents.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: "Bullet Soul" by Switchfoot