Status: Daily Updates

The Bond

The Next Level

The spire ahead was tall and in the center of a small lake. They headed to the top and landed, Makoto careful to be facing the edge so that Marin could slide off his back without danger of slipping off the edge. He then turned and went around her to look at the hilt of an ornate blade that was driven into the rock. Gohan, who was now in a strange outfit that resembled what Shin and Kabito were wearing, examined it closely. Marin poked it, and Kabito looked like he was going to fall off the spire.

"Child! Keep your hands to yourself, that is a sacred blade!" he cried.

Marin looked absolutely terrified at his shout, tears appearing in her eyes.

"Hey, buddy, watch your tone!" Makoto snapped at him, brushing Marin's arm with his tail to comfort her.

Kabito opened his mouth to retort, but Shin held up his hand, "It is quite alright, Kabito. This girl is more pure than even I at her innocent age."

Marin hugged Makoto and he turned red, not hugging back but letting her cling to him.

"He's scarey!" she said.

"Do not be afraid of Kabito, little one," said Shin calmly, smiling at her, "He is just confused. He is not yet realized that the Kais are not the strongest force in the universe any more."

"I knew that when we last faced Majin Buu, but for mere Earthlings…" Kabito grumbled.

"Gohan and I aren't Earthlings!" Makoto shouted, "We're Saiyans! A great and powerful race of warriors! Of course we're stronger than you!"

"Makoto!" Gohan waved his arms, "Sh! Show some respect, the Kais watch over the entire universe, they're our guardians!"

Makoto huffed, and looked at the sword hilt, "Well, they've been doing a pretty poor job since it was our fathers and my mother and you that have done all the universe saving for the past twenty years," he grumbled, and approached the hilt, "So we just have to pull this out?" he asked.

Shin nodded, still with that serene smile, "If you can free the Z sword, our chances of defeating Buu will increase ten fold."

"Let me give it a go first, Makoto," said Gohan, stepping closer to it. Seeing him in that outfit, Makoto was rather pleased that Kabito didn't have the excuse to make his clothes change too. He was just fine in his Capsule Corp hoody and jeans instead of that silly get up, "I'll see what we're dealing with."

Makoto looked at the hilt as Gohan gripped it with both hands, braced his legs, and pulled.

*scene change*

"Now power up as high as you can," Goku instructed the two boys, folding his arms.

His youngest son and Trunks both nodded, the latter smirking a bit. They both let out cries of power, their levels sky rocketing, Goten becoming Super Saiyan, Trunks transforming to Ascended Tygrian. The room shook, and Rilan smiled at them, lacing his hands behind head. From the look on his face, Goku could tell that this was something he was completely used to. Piccolo, mean while was staring in complete shock.

"Good," said Goku when he paused, "Now raise it to your maximum."

They blinked at him.

"We did, Dad," said Goten softly.

"Oh!" Goku nodded, "Okay, so then… Trunks, you're higher than Goten," these words made Trunks smirk at Goten, "I need you to power down a bit to match Goten. In order to fuse, you must be at the exact power level of one another."

Trunks nodded and powered down a bit, his blue aura lowering to match Goten's.

"Good job," said Goku, nodding, "Now go back to normal."

They did so, and Trunks frowned, "Why do I have to do all the work, why can't Goten raise his power to match mine?"

"I'm sorry, I couldn't," said Goten sadly.

"It's okay, son, Trunks is older than you, so it's only natural he's going to be a bit stronger while you're both so young," said Goku, "Now, I want you both to power up as high as you can without transforming-"

But he was cut off as Bobbity's voice once again invaded.

"I'm sorry for once again interrupting your day, citizens of Earth, but I just wanted to share with you all the lovely information I have just received. Apparently, there was a Martial Arts tournament today, and my five targets attended. Majunior, Piccolo, Goten, and of course Rilan and Trunks. Father and son, isn't it? And am I correct that you live at Capsule Corperation in a West City?"

"No!" Rilan hissed, glaring up at the sky.

"Indeed, indeed, I do think I'll be paying you two a visit. Of course, if you aren't there to greet me, I'll just have to settle for destroying whoever I find there instead!" Bobbity laughed and his voice cut out.

"Grandma and Grandpa are still there!" Trunks ran to his father, grabbing his arm, "Dad- we have to go get them!"

"I just heard," Bulma came into the room, looking frazzled, "Rilan- my parents-"

"I know," said Rilan, "We have to go get them, Goku, please-"

"You know they won't come," saidGoku sadly, "They already decided. We can wish them back with the Dragon Balls."

"Goku," snapped Bulma, "You're forgetting something, the Dragon Radar is still at my hous, if Buu destroys it, we won't be able to find the Dragon Balls!"

"Oh no, that's not good," hissed Goku, "I could try to instant transmission, but while I try to find it, Buu could show up and destroy everything…" he paused, thinking fast, "That's it. Rilan, I need you to go get the radar, I'll distract Majin Buu."

"Goku, don't be a fool," said Piccolo, "You said yourself that you are no match if Vegeta and Katima couldn't kill him."

"I'm not trying to kill him," said Goku, "Just to stall. I can transmission out as soon as the radar is safe," he looked at Rilan, "Can you do it?"

"Of course," said Rilan, nodding, "You need to be careful, Goku. Buu's power… you couldn't imagine. Watching him fight Vegeta and Katima was…"

"I know, I understand," said Goku.

"I wanna go, Dad," said Trunks, "Please! Maybe I can convince Grandma and Grandpa to come back with us!"

"Trunks, this is going to be dangerous, we need you alive," said Rilan.

"And we don't need you?!" Trunks demanded, "That's not fair! Dad I need you alive! Please! I can help!"

Rilan looked at Bulma. She sighed and shook her head, "The boy is just too stubborn, just like his father," she smiled lightly, "Take him along. I know you won't let anything happen to him, and he may be able to convince my parents to come up here."

Rilan went to Bulma, kissing her on the forehead gently, "I'll be back."

"Goten, I need you to hold down the fort," said Goku, rubbing his son's head, ruffling his hair.

"Okay, Dad," said Goten.

Rilan and Trunks flew out of the room and Goku nodded to Bulma and Piccolo before pressing his two fingers to his forehead. It was risky, but he knew that it would distract Buu long enough for Rilan and his son to get the radar.

The latest form of Super Saiyan.

*scene change*

It didn't budge.

Makoto perked a brow as Gohan fell over when his hands slipped off the hilt of the Z sword. His big cousin sat there for a moment, blowing on his red palms.

"Is it really that hard to pull?" Makoto asked.

Gohan stood, rubbing his hands together, "They weren't joking around, Makoto, this thing is stuck in pretty deep."

Makoto frowned a bit, "It ccan't be that difficult. Just transform, that should do the trick."

Gohan nodded, and his hair leapt to gold. Marin clung to Makoto's arm in surprise at his sudden cry of power, and he sighed, letting her hold him but feeling a mild uncomfortable twinge. He was a warrior not a teddy bear.

Gripping the hilt again, Gohan began to pull.

"Not even your Super Saiyan strength will be enough for this, I am afraid," said Kabito, "IF the Supreme Kai could not free it, how could a mere mortal?"

"Hush, Kabito," said Shin.

"We're not just mere mortals, moron," snapped Makoto, glaring at the red skinned man, "We're Saiyans. And nothing is too great a challenge for our race."

Just as the words left his mouth, the rock caved beneath Gohan's feet, and cracked around the blade. Then, with a mighty cry, Gohan thrust up into the air, and the sword with him, revealing a long broad silver blade that glistened in sun.

"It's free?!" Kabito choked.

"Gohan, you did it!" Shin cheered.

Makoto smirked, crossing his arms, "As to be expected. I don't understand why everyone, even these supposed guardians of the universe always seem so shocked at our skills."

They went off the pillar, back to the main ground beside the small lake. Makoto carefully let Marin slip off his back when they landed, retracting his tail from her waist. She, Makoto, and the Kais watched as Gohan shakily swung about the blade. He was back to his normal state now, hair black, and from the way he wielded the sword, it suggested it possessed great weight. Gohan wobbly swiped it, tried to hold it up straight and ended up nearly losing his balance all together.

"I don't get it," said Makoto as the two Kais watched in awe, "I expected something to happen, like, Gohan to gain power or something. From what I can see, he just got some hunk of junk that will more hinder him than help."

"Watch your tongue, boy!" Kabito shouted, "The Z sword is a sacred blade! When one pulls it from the stone, it unlocks hidden power deep within the one who did it. It becomes and extention of that person's soul, and together, they are able to defeat anything!"

"I don't sense any change in Gohan's power level," said Makoto flatly, "So there are three possibilities. You're lying, you're misinformed, or the stupid thing is broken."

"I dunno, Makoto," said Gohan, swinging it, staggering, "It's so damn heavy, it'll be training enough to just be able to use it properly."

He dropped it then, and it slapped into the ground, producing a small cloud of dust. It appeared to have sunk about an inch past the root of the grass.

"Do you feel anything, Gohan?" Shin asked, "When you pulled it free, did anything change?"

Gohan caught his breath, shaking his head sadly, "I'm sorry, Supreme Kai, nothing."

Kabito snorted and knelt over the blade, "It's simple. A mortal was never meant to free it, of course it wouldn't select it as its master."

Kabito gripped the hilt, and tried to lift it. It didn't even quiver as he pulled and pulled, gritting his teeth, grunting in effort. Finally he fell back, gasping, flapping his hands as if they were sore.

"Hmph," Makoto slowly stepped toward it, "Weakling. This blade was obviously not made of Kais if you can't even made the light shift on the blade. Let a true warrior wield it, like myself or Gohan." He dug his fingers beneath the hilt and lifted it up, a little bit surprised.

It wasn't nearly as heavy as he expected, in fact, it felt just like his mother's sword in his hands. He glanced at Gohan, "You were struggling with this?" he held it in one hand and high.

Gohan, Kabito, and Shin all yelped in surprise.

"Makoto!" Gohan wailed, "That's insane, how can you just hold it with one hand?!"

"Easy," Makoto tossed it to his other, "What's the big deal?"

"Makoto- I don't think you understand how…" Shin trailed off, just looking lost.

Makoto glanced at Marin as she cheered, "Good job Makoto! You can lift anything!"

He smirked a little bit, and lowered the blade, examining it. "It doesn't looking any fancier than Mom's sword," he said, "I think you Kais were just told some stupid legend that wasn't even true."

"Makoto! Show some respect!" Gohan snapped, then looked at Shin, "If he can hold it with such ease even though I pulled it out, what does that mean?"

"It could mean that Makoto was the one that was supposed to free it, Gohan," said Shin, "And that you were so powerful that you, even though you were not meant to, freed it first. The reason it is so heavy to you might mean that you are not the destined wielder of the Z sword."

"Boy," said Kabito, "Do you feel anything, anything at all? Any new strength or power? A tingling? Anything?"

Makoto gave the sword a few practiced swings, "Nope," he said, looking at them, "It seems we just wasted time coming here while Goten and Trunks got to do some real training to beat Majin Buu!"

He thrust the blade into the ground, making it sink down half way to the hilt and laced his hands behind his head, "You guys are supposed to be the guardians of the universe, well, a lot of help you gave my parents by not killing that stupid pink blob when you had the chance," he growled.

Shin actually bowed his head.

"I am sorry, Makoto," he said softly, "If I had known… I would never have risked leaving Buu in that ball, in just being satisfied with just hiding it."

"This isn't the Supreme Kai's fault, Makoto," scolded Gohan, stepping forward, "You will gian nothing by blaming any one other than the real people responsible, Bobbity and Majin Buu."

Makoto lowered his hands, clenching them in fists, "Don't think I've forgotten, Gohan," he whispered, then his voice grew louder, "But a lot of good we're doing by standing around listening to stupid legends that aren't even true! That sword isn't sacred, it's just a piece of junk!" he spat on the ground, narrowing his eyes, shaking slightly, "We've wasted valuable time in which we could have been doing real training to stop Majin Buu!"

"Well then, let's start," said Gohan, grabbing the hilt of the blade and pulling it free, "Since you can wield it no problem, we'll practice until I can too," he said harshly, "And work on your dodging."

Makoto blinked and then Gohan was swinging the blade at him. He let out a yelp and ducked just in time. It sweeped over his head.

"Gohan no!" wailed Marin, "You'll cut Makoto!"

Makoto glared at his cousin as he powered up to Super Saiyan. Transformed, Gohan could wield the blade much easier, and they began to go along the field, Gohan swiping wildy as Makoto continued to dodge. He could hear Marin wailing somewhere, but focused on anticipating Gohan's next move. He knew that his cousin was mad at how Makoto had insulted the Kais, but the boy didn't care. Using his tail for extra balance, he bounced around Gohan's attacks.

"You know I'm right!" Makoto said, "These guys are jokes! They can't even see how powerful we are, let alone Buu!"

"Makoto, it's been seven quiet years, they haven't had cause to even glance at Earth to see your training!" said Gohan, swinging again.

Makoto jumped nimbly out of the way, hissing, "They had plenty cause! They left that monster on OUR planet! You would at least think they would be keeping close tabs on it!"

"There's no way they could have known-" Gohan swung.

"They're supposed to be our guardians, how could they have missed something unless they're morons?!"

Out of his anger, Makoto couldn't dodge in time. The blade was coming on too fast, and at the last second, he brought up his arm instinctively to block his face. He braced for the pain, for the blade to dig deep into his flesh, but to his great surprise, the blade snapped in two, glancing off his arm without leaving a mark, and the top half of the blade falling and lodging into the ground while Gohan yelped at the hilt in his hand.

They had just broken the Z sword.

*scene change*

Rilan flew fast and hard, his son just behind him. He felt a rush of fear he had never felt before. With Frieza, he had charged in with nothing to lose, and done a fairly decent job until the bastard transformed. Cell was a pretty nasty situation, but they had all known that Goku had had some sort of plan. The encounter with Dengen wasn't too terrible, since his family wasn't there with him. But now, he had everything to lose.

Bobbity had targeted him and his son, and was heading for their home. And Goku had revealed that he couldn't beat Buu. They were holding on to slim hope that their children could do something to stop the creature. Rilan wanted to believe that they could do it. He wanted to believe that Buu could be stopped. But as he flew, with that terrible feeling in his gut, he couldn't help but picture the death of all that he had come to love. Bulma, Trunks, his home… his planet.

Looking back, he saw his son keeping pace, and had the urge to stop and hug him, just as Vegeta had done with Makoto just before he died. To let him know how proud he was of him. Because he wasn't sure if there would ever be another chance. Could Goku really distract Buu long enough for them to get to Capsule Corp? Would he even survive? If he was defeated, what hope could they have to learning the fusion?

"Dad?" Trunks looked at him, frowning.

"Sorry," said Rilan, facing forward again, "Faster, Trunks, come on!"

They pushed on, but Rilan nearly fell out of the air when he felt Buu's power level close. He stopped, holding up his arm, "Wait!" he hissed.

There, just ahead, was Majin Buu and Bobbity, but they had not yet spotted them. They were completely focused on Goku, who, before their eyes, began to power up.

It was insane. Rilan was frozen in pure shock as Goku's aura launched gold, how his muscles tightened, how he cried up to the sky, and his hair pegan to lengthen. It grew, much like Rilan's did when he ascended, down his back in a radical main of golden hair. It was another transformation, another level of Super Saiyan. How? Goku told them he didn't think he could handle Buu, but this was far past what Vegeta and Katima were at, this was complete insanity.

Surely he could defeat Buu as he was!

Then, without warning, Goku shouted.

"What are you DOING?! GO GET THE RADAR!"

Rilan and Trunks had been staring in complete awe, and snapped back to reality at his shout.

"Come on, Trunks, let's go, he's got this, we have to hurry!" Rilan told his son, who nodded and they took off toward Capsule Corp.

The power level… Goku's strength was madness, Rilan could practically taste his energy. Why had he been holding back this transformation? Was he a moron? This surely could have defeated Vegeta. All of this could have been avoided! Vegeta, Katima, and Gohan would all still be alive.

Rilan pushed away his feelings of anger. He would confront Goku later. Right now, he had to find that Radar.

West City bloomed on the horizon and he and Trunks powered down to their normal state, going down and landed outside Capsule Corp. They ran in through the door, Trunks shouting, "GRANDMA! GRANDPA!"

Rilan went straight for Bulma's lab, running quickly through the familiar halls, praying that it wasn't going to be the last time he would be in his home that he grew so fond over.

He burst into the lab, spotting Mr. Briefs working on something on the counter.

"Rilan!" he looked up, blinking, "You're back? Is Buu defeated?"

"No," said Rilan, catching his breath, "He's on his way here, I need Bulma's Dragon Radar, we can't let him destroy it!"

"The radar?" Mr. Briefs stopped his work and pondered for a moment, as if he hadn't a care in the world, "Hm… Let's see here, where was the last place I saw it…"

"Dad! Dad!"

Trunks burst into the room, he had the phone in his hand, "It's Mom- she says that she left the radar in the plane!"

"Do you know where the capsules are?" Rilan asked Mr. Briefs.

The man nodded, "Of course."

Once they had the capsule, they rushed outside and released it. Trunks jumped in and rummaged around and then came back out, beaming, "I found it!" he held it high.

"Oh good," said Mrs. Briefs, "Now we can all have some lunch!"

"We don't have time," said Rilan, looking at them, "Please, come to the Lookout with us, Buu is on his way here!"

"We made our decision already, Rilan," said Mr. Briefs, "We will stay here. Don't worry, with the radar, you can bring us back."

Rilan sighed, amazed at the man's lack of fear. Mrs. Briefs smiled, "At least take some snacks with you, darling."

"We can't," said Rilan, "We have to go back."

"Love you!" Trunks said as they launched into the air.

As they left, Rilan felt Goku's power level return to normal. He still was baffled. How could he possess such strength?

But he supposed that it hadn't been enough if Goku was just using it as a distraction. Buu's power must be more than he could imagine.

Yet as they raced back to the lookout, Rilan felt another small life force flicker to nothing. Bobbity. Whatever happened, Bobbity was dead, and now, Buu was going to be left to his own devices. He wasn't sure if this was a good thing or not, but one thing was for certain.

They had to hurry if they had any hope to saving the universe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took SOOO long for the update. I forgot I had this on here, and have just been posting the new chaps on fanfiction.net. But yeah, here's this! I'll try posting a new chap every night until its caught up.

Song for this chapter: Grey by Yellowcard