Sequel: Where Have You Been?

Can't Stop Lovin' You

We're Running From The Past

“Happy third birthday, big boy!” Savannah clapped her hands as she leaned down to where his son was sitting.

It was a sunny March day in Dallas and Savannah thought it would be great if she takes Shane out for some friendly lunch with Tara, Randy, Maika, and of course Martha. In the past two years, Savannah and Tara had been bestfriends, she was then started feeling like home again. She felt like it was just one of her old days back in Baltimore, and she loved it.

“Well, look who’s coming! It’s aunt Tara, aunt Maika, and uncle Randy!” Martha whispered to Shane as he turned his back and clapped, excitedly.

“Someone is turning three today and he seems so excited about it!” Randy teased as he pulled out his tongue and Shane frowned. “I'm just kidding! Here, I have you a present.” He added as Shane smiled.

“Twank you, uncle Wendy…” Shane mumbled as he took his gift from Randy. “Do you have something fo me too, aunt Towa, aunt Makka?” Shane added as Tara and Maika put their gifts in front of Shane.

They ordered their meals before helping Shane unwrapping all his gifts. It was Shane’s first ‘birthday party’ and Savannah was more than happy seeing her son interacting so good with people around him. A lot of people were there and every time someone walk behind him, he’d just yell ‘its my birday!’ and they’d just come by him and congratulate the little buddy.

Randy was sitting next to Savannah and then there was Maika beside him, meanwhile Martha and Tara decided to sit next to the birthday boy. A lot of people was mistaken Randy to be the father of Shane, even though he doesn’t look anything like him. Savannah could see that jealous look on Maika’s eyes when a lovely old lady came up with the statement.

“Uh no, he’s not the father of my child, ma’am.” Savannah said as Maika took Randy’s hand.

“Oh, such a shame. Where is he during his son’s birthday? What an irresponsible father!” The lady said as Savannah went quiet. “You deserve a better life, little man.” She said as the old lady left the table, leaving Shane in confuse.

Savannah ran away from her table and decided to cry inside the bathroom until Tara came by her side. She knew the stake on being single parents, but she also realized that Shane is growing up while the only father figure he could ever look up to was Randy. Savannah tried so hard to be both and just when she thought she got it in the back, someone always told her she’s not.

It’s hard to keep a secret, especially when the secret was kept from your own son and best friends, but Savannah knew she had to keep her mouth or she will ruin everything the fate has in plate for Jack. If only Jack knew it was his son’s birthday.

Tara didn’t know who Shane’s father was and she was not even trying to find out ever since Savannah told her that Shane might be a mistake, but a mistake could turn into a gift when you see it from a different angle. Tara knew Savannah must have loved Shane’s father that it didn’t mind her to move all the way out of Baltimore to live in Dallas.

Martha on the other hand was feeding Shane when Tara tried to comfort Savannah a little. And as Savannah got back, Shane was already done with his meal and she was glad Savannah could come back stronger. She even smiled a lot wider than she was before. That was until Shane asked a question Savannah never knew how to answer.

“Wha is fathe, mum?” Shane said.

Looking at Savannah shaking, Randy knew he had to take a lead. “well, a father is a guy who’s playing with you.” Randy smiled.

“you play wit me, uncle randy is shane’s fathe!” Shane shouted, smiling wide.

“No, no baby. Uncle Randy is not your father.” Martha chuckled in bitterness.

“Lets go home, Shane. Mommy’s tired.” Savannah said as she walked up to the cashier.

***

“I can’t believe you dragged me into this, Alex.” Jack pouted as they came out of Alex’s car.

“It’s just a gala dinner, baby boy.” Alex teased Jack.

“Yeah, and I came with a guy, and what’s worse is that he will ditch me for his girlfriend, you know you and Lindy are going to pay me some shots later, don’t you?” Jack frowned.

Jack and Alex were invited to a gala dinner in Lindy’s parents’ mansion, they were having a charity event for the homeless kids and Alex was invited by Lindy’s parents because they know Alex was capable to keep the charity alive, maybe with a little help from his band. Too bad Zack and Rian couldn’t be there. If they could, the band would’ve loved to perform and start raising more money, so it came down to an acoustic show.

“I thought you’d never show up!” Lindy said, running in her high heels.

“I was invited to the famous Michaels’ charity event, how could I say no?” Jack said, imitating a failed British accent.

“My parents really wanted to meet you two, you know. Such a shame that Rian and Zack couldn’t be here.” Lindy pouted

“Well yeah, Zack’s spending our days off over New York with Riley and Rian’s busy with Mary’s sister’s wedding in Dallas, so they really can’t come. They, however gave us this.” Alex said as he pulled Lindy into a hug and handed her a letter.

It was Rian’s handwriting and the letter was saying how sorry they felt, they wanted to help the cause but they’ve made their plans already. It was okay with Lindy, Alex, and of course Jack. But they wished they could’ve come.

“You look so pretty tonight…” Alex whispered.

“You look even better than I am tonight, Mr. Gaskarth.” Lindy whispered back.

“Okay, you two needs to whisper a little more quiet because I can still hear you, and yes, you should just come with us after this dinner and let Alex have you all night, Lindy.” Jack said as he rolled his eyes.

“Oh, like us getting a room? Don’t worry, Alex and I planned it, after the dinner, my parents will fly to India, and we have this place alone. No shots tonight, Barakat.” Lindy said as Jack pouted.

“Oh, how I love that face of yours, Barbara-cat!” Alex teased as Jack’s facial expression changed. “uhm Jack, I didn’t mean to say it…”

“There better be girl I can ask out tonight or you are so dead, love birds.” Jack said, leaving the couple behind.

***

Savannah put her son to bed as she threw her body to the bed next to Shane’s cradle. It was getting late and she didn’t feel like going to sleep so instead of forcing herself to sleep, she decided to take a walk. She left her apartment at 8 and as her feet take her to the park, she realized she had been walking the town for about an hour.

She sat down on a park bench and observe the building next to the park, there were lights and cheerful music and she let her mind wander around, imagining what would her life be if she ever told Jack about Shane, like maybe he would be happy for her either.

Nothing could break her heart more than the images of the older days and her very own thoughts about Jack having another affair with a girl after she left, but she knew he deserved a life. Her sight was still looking over that building when she saw a very familiar lady who then turned out to be Kathy, Rian’s mother.

Kathy saw Savannah was sitting in the park bench, but there was not enough light to make sure if it was her. Out of her doubts, she tried to call out Savannah with ‘Van’, and Savannah then sure it was indeed Kathy, because the only parents who’d call her like that would only be her best friends’ parents’ from Baltimore.

As Kathy was just about to run after Savannah, Rian came running toward her and told her the party was almost over and Mary’s parents wanted to say something to her, but before she left with Rian, of course Kathy told her son about what she saw earlier.

“I miss her too, mom. But why would she go out in a place like this alone around this time?” Rian said, looking over the girl he saw was running. “Come on, Mary’s dad said he has something to say for us.” Rian added as they both came back in to the building.