From Brilliant to Brutal

getting involved

I woke up, and ran down the many stairs to the kitchen, I looked at the clock and realised I only had 2 hours to do all my morning chores and get to school. I knew I wouldn’t have time to make my own lunch or have breakfast for myself as I had to make time to get to school as I couldn’t be late again that week.
I heard mother hacking cough and realised I better get a move on with breakfast. I quickly got bowels out and poured my sisters cereal, I didn’t have time to make the normal cooked breakfast, and I knew I would have to pay, as mother would know I hadn’t been up in time. As soon as I had the breakfast on the table I started to make my sisters lunch, I thought about quickly making my own lunch before getting my sisters bags ready, but as I was about to get out bread for an extra sandwich I heard mother move upstairs and thought better of it and got on with making my sisters. After I got their bags ready I went upstairs to get in to my huge second hand clothes. I went back down stairs thinking I had done everything fine so far today, but as soon as I got down stairs the mother started shouting at me saying there was a knife out on the side and smashed my head against the wall, I felt hot blood pour down the side of my face as I shrunk to the floor. I hadn’t been expecting it and wasn’t ready, but I was ready now, as I quickly got up I tensed my face muscles and prayed she would give mercy on me. As usual I was wrong, I got another blow to the face knocking me side ways in to the counter, I my leg crumpled beneath me and I slammed to the ground once more, in the distance I heard mother scream at me to get up but my legs weren’t capable of supporting me. Mother grabbed my arm and dragged me up; she leant me against the sink and made me wash up all the empty dishes from breakfast. Now I defiantly knew I wouldn’t have time to make my lunch or have any breakfast of my own.
I managed to limp out of the house, dragging my bag along behind me, mother was still in the house making sure the ‘perfect little children’ looked perfect for there day at school. I knew that as they went past me in the car they would wind down the windows and sneer knowing I would be late again. I was use to this now though and as they drove past laughing and pointing at me, I carried on going, like a child in a race trying to get to the goal which was my shelter from the mother and the beatings I received.
When I was half way to school I heard a car coming down the road behind me, I looked around and saw a small mini cooper coming speeding towards me; a kind looking women was driving it, I wondered whether she was late for work and if she was going to get beaten when she got back home that evening like I knew I would. As she got closer I noticed I recognised the lady; it was the school nurse, she noticed me limping along and pulled over. She told me to get in so I dragged myself round the front of the car, using the bonnet to support my wait. She asked me why I was so late and I replied by saying, I hadn’t finished my chores. But as usual it wasn’t good enough, she glanced to the other side of my face and saw my blood stained face, and noticed that the wound was still bleeding, I felt embarrassed as I dint want to tell her what had happened even though she would persuade me into it, like she had done so many times before.
When we got to the school gates I had already told her all about the morning from me being late up to my sisters laughing at me out of the car window. She had a look of horror on her face by the time I had finished and said she would have to tell the school governors, I pleaded with her, but I knew from the start that I had lost. She promised that she wouldn’t let them phone home as she knew that the beatings were getting worse, and I believed her.
We walked through the front doors together and we went straight to the head together. He called up my form tutor and in moments she had come through the door looking at first angry but when she saw my condition scared. She was asking Mr Hill what had happened, and he didn’t know himself so he made me repeat everything I had already told the nurse. Mr Hill picked up the phone to call home but I burst out crying telling him not to because it would make it worse, however he didn’t put the phone down, he dialled 3 numbers … 999!