Status: Coming Soon

Bite Me

Chapter 1

"Its time for your medication Capri," a timid voice said from my doorway. It was a new voice. Nervous. I didn't acknowledge it.

"Um, Capri?" she said, and her voice rose it pitch just slightly. It was annoying. They were all so annoying.

I raised my head to look at the woman...funny she sounded like a child. She had blue hair, piercings and tattoos that were visible even with the white uniform. A tiny thing, if i stood she'd barely hit my chest.

Studying closer, she definitely looked like she belonged here, but not to work. She should've been locked up like I was.

"You sure don't look like the rest half pint," I muttered, standing up from my chair and smiling down at her from my full height of nearly six feet. She gulped but squared her shoulders.

"I don't suppose that was supposed to be a compliment," the midget muttered, setting two pills and a glass of water on my bedside table.

She turned her back to leave. Big mistake on her part. She was supposed to make sure that I took them.

I debated messing with her.

If I stashed the pills in front of her she'd know her mistake, but then new meds would come...then again when would I have another opportunity to skip out on these dopey pills?

Messing with a newbie seemed like a more entertaining option, so I took the pills and stomped them while she paused.

I soaked her with the glass of water as she was turning to look at me and then fell down laughing. She spun, blue hair flying everywhere and hit the button the Whites wore around their necks in case of emergencies.

Two more stormed the room and I laughed harder at the expressions on their faces. Like they expected better of me. I didn't fight as they restrained me and put me in a straight jacket before taking me to what we called 'The Hole' here.

"You shouldn't have done that Capri," one of the White's said. He'd told me his name, but I never bothered to learn it. Despite his kind demeanor, he was still one of them. Not to be trusted.

"Bite me," I muttered as they carried me off. They practically threw me in The Hole and I curled up on the ground where I landed, not caring about anything. Silent giggles continued to pour out of my mouth.

The look on the newbies face was worth a night of no dinner and solitude.

It wasn't anything new for a new face to bring me my stuff. And it wasn't a new thing for me to mess with them. I had chosen entertainment over skipping the pills plenty of times. The new people always seemed to find themselves assigned to me somehow.

I suppose they let the new people take a test run on me because I was safer. I was here on a false accusation, and even though no one believed that, they did believe that the pills 'cured my agression.' I wasn't one of the violent psychopaths.

I was just mean to people. Which I guess was good if your in training to be a White. This job was not for the weak. You needed to be tough if you were going to last...

I didn't know when I fell asleep, just that there were people there to take me to breakfast when I opened my eyes.

I grabbed a tray, crammed as much of the gross food onto it as I could, and then went to hunt down my best friend.

Chase wasn't like me. He was in here because he belonged. He heard voices, had conversations with a group of people who werent there. Sometimes I played along. It made him feel good. Besides, he was the only one who believed my story.

My mom and I had never been close. It was no secret we couldnt stand each other. She blamed me for the fact that she couldnt keep her man, my father, but I think the truth was he saw something ugly in her. Something...evil.

My mom was real big on darkness and death, total devil stuff. I wanted no part in it.

Every full moon she'd head out to this one spot in the forest until sunrise. She always came back looking like hell, but whenever I asked what she did, she simply told me she was "Getting in touch with nature."

I never understood her - she was a mystery to me, but still, I felt unbearble greif the night she was murdered, in addition to anger that I was the one who took the blame.

It had been late I remembered, when I woke up to the crying. I had been confused, creeping to my mother's room where her door was open a crack. She was on her floor, a rosary clutched in her hand ironically while a pale white female with long blond hair hovered over her.

She spoke a language I didnt understand, while my mother pleaded with her in the same tongue.

I watched as the woman laughed maniacally - a sound I'd ironically heard a million times in this place, and in a flash she was at her side, teeth at her neck.

I had never screamed so loud.

Dropping my mom, still breathing, the woman turned her attention to me, but I was running already.

Outside, my legs pumped me faster and faster before I was yanked back by an iron grip. Choking on my collar, I was brought around to face the blonde. Her eyes were blood red.

I screamed again and suddenly an elderly neighbor of mine came rushing out. The blonde hissed and dropped me. Her hands, soaked with my mother's blood had left me covered in it too.

She ran faster than I'd ever seen, clean out of sight. The old man hadnt seen her. Just me.

He called the cops and that was pretty much the end of it. They had me accused of killing my mother, and laughed when I explained, against my better judgement what really happened.

It wasnt the old man I blamed for being here though. He was always kind to me and my mother...especially her. He brought her flowers from his garden and cakes and goodies from his bakery.

She loved the attention too, always inviting him over when she was making something home cooked. He wouldn't have wanted me to end up here, I was sure of it. He was only trying to help me, unlike that lousy lawyer.

He's the one that got me sent here. It wasnt hard for him to get me marked as crazy. I did claim that a vampire killed my mother after all. I only went along with it because it was the only way to avoid the death penalty.

"Good-morrow Capri," Chase greeted. I smiled and looked around as if seeing which seat was open. He grinned brightly, pleased that I was playing along with him today.

"There's a seat there next to Hanna," he said, pointing to the seat across from him and one over. I sat down and turned towards the girl who wasnt there. "And how is Hanna today?" I asked, Chase frowned.

"Not so good, Dori and Penelope took her favorite hair ribbon last night." he told me. I gasped - Hanna was nothing without her hair ribbons.

"Well, were gonna have to ask Marco to get it back for his little sister, now wont we?" I looked at Chase with a raised eyebrow. He took the liberty of asking him, since they were sitting next to each other.

I smiled when Marco helped Hanna reclaimed her ribbon and thanked him.

"So, how was your night Chase?" I asked, eating some turkey bacon. he shrugged and frowned. "They gave me some of the strong pills that make the guys leave. I was lonely."

I sighed. I wished the Whites would give him the weaker pills...the ones that just made his friends quiet. He was so lost when they were gone.

"What about you?" Chase asked in a happier tone. I smiled as I remembered the blue haired worker bee.

"I spent the night in The Hole...Newbie mistake." Chase laughed and I felt someone creeping up behind me.

"Oh Capri, we shall never understand why you feel the need to mess with every new White they stick you with." he snickered, chewing some burnt eggs.

I shrugged. "They need to man up if they want to work here." I said and then swatted when a bony hand reached out to steal my orange juice.

It was that red head lady who thought she was invisable who'd been creeping up behind me. She hissed at me, snatching her hand away when I smacked it, and moved on while I glared at her the whole way.

Chase looked at me in wonder. "Nathan and Marco have no idea how you know she's coming. You must have some kind of sixth sense that lets you see invisable people."

I smiled dryly and got up to toss my tray away. "Do you wanna play catch? Its our turn to go out." I asked Chase and he nodded eagerly before replaying the news to the others and trying to persuade Penelope, who didnt want to play cause' she'd get her hair messed up.

After managing to convince her, he tossed his tray and we went to the guard at the door, who let us out. He knew us well enough that he didnt have to check his list to know it was our turn.

Outside, music played from the speakers, much better reception than the old radio I had in my room and I smiled while singing along. Chase loved to when I sung to him, and his whole face lit up at hearing me now.

I grabbed two baseball gloves and a ball, still singing, and handed one to Chase.

We moved a little away from the people outside, towards the chain link fence that stretched up to the sky. It was sunny today, which was rare.

As we played catch, I couldnt help but notice that the kind man from last night was staring at me. I glared back at him and stopped singing.

I threw the ball at Chase with more force than I needed to, causing him to miss and yell for Nathan to get it for him.

XxX

At about a half an hour til curfew, I was in Chase's room, looking out his window at the sunset. He had the best view of this whole place...even with the bars in the way.

"What do you think's changed since we've been gone?" Chase asked, hand against the glass. I shrugged and he smiled at me.

He had been here since he was fifteen. Eight full years in this place...compared to my two since I was sixteen, that was a life sentence.

"C'mon, I know you think something. You have the best imagination out of anyone." he said and fell back onto his bed, patting the space beside him.

I sat and he curled up next to me. "Tell me a story," he asked, sounding tired suddenly, with big puppy dog eyes. I smiled, knowing I could resist him when he made that face and started telling him both what I thought and knew had changed since he'd been sent here in 2004.

He closed his eyes and started playing with my hair. I kept it long, despite most of the people in here having to crop theres short. Brushing and braiding it was entertainment to him.

In a lot of ways, Chase was younger than a man, and I was his big sister. Even though I was younger, I always took care of him.

Chase sighed when I stopped talking.

"I'd love to see the outside...just one last time, before..." I put a hand over his mouth. He knew I absolutely forbid him talking about dying here.

"Don't," I whispered.

He hummed a little, the song I'd been singing along to earlier and I grinned at him.

"I should go before they come get me," I whispered, about to make my exit. I tucked him in like a good big sister though first, and shut off his light.

"Goodnight," I whispered about to turn and leave when Chase suddenly grabbed my arm.

"Yes?" I asked, confusedly turning back. He looked embarassed. "I think Marco is in love with you," he whispered, so Marco wouldnt hear.

I raised an eyebrow. "You do?" I asked and he nodded.

"Do you like him too?" he asked, sounding scared. I bit my lip and debated what to tell him.

"I don't really think Marco is my type," I said, and he looked at me blankly. "Why not? He's good-looking, and strong, and he know about the outside world like you do." he said, and I laughed a little.

"I guess Im not really one for that kind of guy," I muttered, wondering just what I meant by that.

Good-looking, strong, and outside smart... it didn't really sound that bad, except that kind of guy didn't exist in real life. Especially not here.

"What is your kind of guy?" Chase asked, seeming relieved.

That brought me up short. Did I have a type? I didn't know. Boys had pretty much the last thing on my mind since I came here. Luckily I never got to answer because the Whites came and sent me to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a twilight fanfiction; the rest is coming soon :)

comment, subscribe, rate <3