Forsaken Dreams

XXV

I wake to a screech so keening it bolt me right awake. I get up as fast as I can accepting any possibility that the dead has found a way to get me. But as I look around, past the fence that protects me, I see the Returned fighting each other for food. I pray that they don't catch my scent in the wind. They are the last thing I need right now.

I shiver underneath my thin cardigan, as I then peel it off my body. The wind decided it was a good time to blow, stealing all the warmth I have left. I put on my other sweater as quickly as I can and start running out again.

It felt good to run, sometimes the zombies would try to run after me, but they would just fall on their faces and I would giggle. You can't outrun me fuckers. I kept running until my stomach growled. I haven't realized how hungry I've been. Going without food seemed normal now but I can't miss it anymore. I need all the strength I can get.

I scan the nearby shops and houses until one specifically catches my eye. 7Eleven. I wouldn't have missed the green, orange and red logo anywhere. I check to around to see if there is any zombies nearby and look through the window. Looks like any 7Eleven would. Chips, chocolate bars, energy drinks, and slushies. Everything accounted for. I open the door slightly to check for zombies but the bell above the door chimed before I could look. I waited to see if any zombies heard that before stepping in.

Then I hear moans and groans coming from somewhere in the store and I feel for the weapon on the waistband on my pants. I pull it out immediately and try to aim with my shaky hands. The zombie appeared in its gruesome horror. His skin is flaky and discolored, his hair is torn, his clothes are ripped, and there is multiple wounds and dried blood all over his body.

I hold the pistol with both my hands, still shaky as ever. My palms sleek with sweat. My brow glistening. I can hear my own heartbeat. Thump, thump, thump. My pointer finger moving ever so slightly against the trigger.

Can I really kill this zombie? Am I brave enough? Is anything enough?

I aim directly at his head. He is almost by the cashiers now which are by the door.

I have to shoot. I have to shoot now!

I finally squeeze the trigger but the force of the gun made me stumble back a few steps. I look up to see if I got him. I did, but barely. I missed his head and got his arm instead.

Damn!

I run down an isle as fast as I can still holding my gun. I try to find a hiding spot so I can shoot him without running.

I run, my feet pounding the tile floor. I can feel the vibration in my legs.

My heart is pounding.

My nerves are bouncing.

I jump over dropped shelves full of canned food and I look frantically for that hiding spot that might just save my life. I try not to look back because of all the stories and movies have taught me not to. I try so hard to keep running. I can feel my legs starting to burn and I wonder if I can ever get through this.

These thoughts subside as I spot my next move. At this point, I've already made my way around the store and I am back where I started. My plan was to go behind on of the checkout places and hide behind there for now until I got a good view on him and that's when I'll shoot him.

This time though, I really need to shoot him dead.

I do as I thought and hide behind the register. I duck down my I can't help myself but peek up.

Nothing.

Where did he go? I can still his moaning so he is obviously still in the store. I stay down. Afraid to fully reveal myself in the open.

I peel my eyes away from the isles and look down at my gun. I open it to make sure there is still bullets inside it. Thankfully there is two more. I made a mental note to find bullets for the gun after this.

I peek over the counter again just like all those characters in horror movies. The only difference is, the guy actually showed up right in front or behind them. My guy was still no where to be seen.

And I can't hide here forever. I stretch out from behind the front desk and quietly creep down the isles, closer to the moans that would lead me to him.

I came right into view but I ran back beside the shelf that hid me. He was...eating. That's why he wasn't coming after me. I look down at the floor to what he was devouring and as always to my expectations, it was a someone.

And that someone was alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope this jazzes up the story a little. :)
Like I said, I've been trying to get pen on paper more so I could update more. My writer's block is fading but it's still there. Please stay alert for the next chapter. It'll be good, I promise. Thank you all who have read this far.