Alone.

26

We took the bus. Kile paid for me. I didn't want him to but ended my protests with a glare. With that, I go silent instantly.
We start heading over to an area I don't recognize. Not like I go out much from my park. There was a lot of apartments, stores, and people.. The streets were littered with garbage and decade old gum. I look over at Kile who's sitting next to me and he's on his cellphone as usual.

"We.'re here." He said to me without looking up. I nod and we both get up to get off the bus.

What am I doing here?

I kept thinking to myself.

Why did I agree to come along?

This place is not the park. And that's where I would rather be right now.

Kile cleared his throat which made me look up from the sidewalk and escape my thoughts.

"Wow" I said. It was so beautiful. It was a wall of art. Most people call it graffiti. But how the colors just blended together, it was so beautiful.

"Kile, did you do this?" I asked.

"Yeah." Is all he replied.

"Well, it's a breath-taker."

"Just don't call me an artsy." He snapped.

"Okay."

There was silence but it wasn't awkward. Nothing was awkward with Kile. He started opening the cans of paint so I helped him. Then he started painting, while I just sat on the ground and watched. After countless minutes, he asked if I wanted to join. I hesitated.

"Me?" I asked.

"Yeah you, there's no one else here."

"Oh."

I grabbed a roller, dipped it in black paint and started to roll. But it kept getting stuck and I didn't know if it was me or the roller.

Kile noticing my struggles came to help me. He took the roller and asked, "what are you painting?"

"Uh...residential buildings." I replied.

He then applied the roller to the wall and started painting them, I guessed to get me started and show me how to use it.

"Here." He said giving me back the roller after a few minutes have passed.

"Th-thank you." Is all I managed to say back.

He replied with a wink.

I started painting again but it was still getting stuck. And I was starting to get frustrated with this roller.

Kile noticing my struggles again, laughed.

"Don't laugh at me!" I told him.

"I can't help it." This time instead of taking the roller, he stood behind me. I could feel the warmth of his breath on my neck and the energy radiating from his body. He slid his hand along my arm until he grasped my hand which held the roller.

He started moving my hand to show me how to paint the buildings. We stayed this way until the painting I wanted to create was done.

"There." He said.

"Wow." I breathed.

He nodded. "The wall is really starting to piece together."

"I love it." I told him.

"Why thank you Miss Brookes." At that, I giggled.

He looked at me. But this time it was different than usual. I could see it in his eyes. After a moment too long he looked away, anywhere but at me.

"Where should we put all these cans." I asked him.

He shook his head towards the dumpster that sat a few feet away. I started picking up the empty paint cans and threw them out.

We didn't say much after that. Actually we didn't say anything. And I was okay with that. I think we both were.