Status: ACTIVE

Ever After

River Haelen Manning

When Auden gave me the rose I felt something bubble in my chest, but just pushed it off my mind deluding myself that it was just the nerves of the day. I mean, it was the Prince of the kingdom I was sitting next to! The Prince of all people! He was nothing like the regal, uptight people I had imagined to be the rulers of this kingdom. Auden seemed to be the complete opposite of a pompous Prince who was pampered and spoilt rotten. Sure, he was spoilt since his family had money stuffing the mattresses, but the thing that I found quite profound was how Auden didn't let it get to his head. He was as down-to-earth as any villager, but had an aura of calming authority and intelligence.

Rapunzel laughed about the flower as I blushed, my gaze sneaking to Auden once again- I had found my eyes wandering to him too many times to keep a track of. He was handsome, impossibly so and I felt I could just stare at his chiselled profile all day long which was what I was already doing.

I tore my eyes off Auden as his father cleared his throat, vying for my attention which I swiftly placed on him, but I couldn't quite meet his eyes. They weren't like Auden's eyes- they were the same amazing, clear shade, but his seemed heavier and somewhat cold, making me shiver eerily. I knew I shouldn't be having odd thoughts about the King, but he seemed to be the type who didn't get along well with most, and I could tell he was sizing my up, his eyes calculating my every move. I was slowly stirring the aromatic soup with my spoon, as I tried to look at him in the eyes, but just couldn't muster the strength to do so.

"River, have you found a maiden yet?" the Queen asked, a small smile on his face, and I heard a splutter from Auden's end of the table, my own mouth popping open as I stared at the intricate tableware. I closed my mouth as I reminded my brain how to breath, and gave her a shaky answer.

"N-Not, not yet Ma'am."

"Still trying to find the right woman eh? Well we can get you one. With my power, we can get you any woman of your desire, son." As the king said those words, I felt a cool chill pass over me, but it wasn't coming from the king. It was coming from inside of me, that cool, freezing breeze that made me swallow harshly. I had known for a little while now, but I had never pondered on it for so long to let it really get to me. I just passed it off as childish thoughts, of silly little tricks my mind was playing on me.

But I couldn't get that odd feeling out of my system, that feeling that only men seemed to give me.

I promise you I'm not homosexual- the law forbids romances of that vile nature. I-I am so sure I'm not. So sure...

The slightly awkward bickering of the King and Auden was muted by my ears as my mind whirled, a sickening feeling coming to my throat, my hand gently releasing the spoon so it rested on the side of the hand-painted bowl, the soft clink of the spoon deafening. Nobody else seemed to realise it though- I was just on edge.

There was no way I liked me. Mama and Papa had always told me that it was always meant to be a man and a woman, not two men or two women. That sort of thing was satanic apparently, but just a few years ago I had been so sure that I was on the track towards heaven, not hell. I had looked at the village girls, there were many pretty ones in my village but they mostly paid attention to Carsen, despite the few who indeed looked my way. I had once liked getting little gifts from some of the girls, but when I turned fourteen a year and a bit ago something changed. I just didn't find any interest in girls, but something about the village boys, even the ones who pushed me around just sparked my interest.

It scared me. It scared me to no end, everything Mama and Papa had taught me slamming into me with the force of a wild stallion racing into me.

"Is there something wrong with the soup, dear? Is it not to your liking?" the Queen asked, and I snapped my head up to look at her frowning face as she was about to ask Ned to fetch the chef so she could give a strict lecture to.

"N-No! It's wonderful! I, u-um, just haven't tasted anything quite like it," I lied, thinking back to Mama's strawberry tarts, coughing as the Queen smiled gleefully, telling Ned instead to give her compliments to the chef.

"You haven't tried the desserts yet, my boy," the King chuckled, as the main course landed on the table cloth in front of my, the gloriously glazed meat glistening as my nose took in the delicious smell.

"So, River," Rapunzel started, as she daintily picked up her cutlery, slowly slicing a thin slither of meat, dipping it gracefully into the gravy sauce that had been poured all over the meal.

"Y-yes?" I asked, as she covered her mouth since she was chewing, swallowing before continuing.

"How are you settling in? I hope the room is alright. I had asked Auden to give you the larger one, but he had said that it should be fine, with the garden view and all. Is it alright? I would hate for you to be disappointed in your room," she said, and I shook my head, taking a bite of some vegetable, my mouth blossoming with the taste of the heated gravy.

"Everything is fine. I have never really had anything so grand before. Mama and Papa didn't have much money, after all," I said softly, and she nodded, her eyes brightening before she turned to Auden, love shining in her eyes.

"Auden, we should visit my parents again and give them some gifts. That's the least we can do. And River, you could visit that friend of yours! You must be missing him already," she added, and I found myself smiling as I instinctively grabbed the necklace hanging from my neck, the metal pressing into my palm. I felt heated eyes on me and I looked up, meeting Auden's piercing eyes that held some sort of emotion that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"I would love to see Carsen again. He couldn't look after himself properly if I wasn't there to coddle him," I joked, making everyone but Auden laugh humorously, and small talk continued until the end of the meal. Auden didn't say very much though, even though his voice was one of the nicest voices I have ever heard. He seemed to be in deep thought, but that was alright. I suppose it was a shock for him, me coming to the castle at such short notice and all. I was tired too, everything starting to take its toll.

"U-Um, I am quite tired... is it alright if I go to bed earlier?" I asked Rapunzel, who hugged me tightly, nodding.

"Yes, you must be fatigued, dear," the Queen added, smiling softly. She was a nice woman- warmer and friendlier than the King. "Auden, could you take River to his room? He must still be a little apprehensive about he palace."

Auden looked like he wanted to say something, but chose not to, gently placing his hand on my shoulder as he lightly steered me out of the grand dining hall, turning down the hall way. He had the whole palace mapped out on the back of his hand. I could tell he had been raised here, and for him it was home, and hopefully one day I would feel like that too.

We reached my room quickly, and I stood outside my door awkwardly as Auden rubbed the hair at the back of his head, looking down at me as I had my hand poised next to the keyhole.

"Well, good night, I suppose," he said, chuckling a little. "I will come to your room early tomorrow morning, to take you to breakfast."

"Oh, you don't have to," I assured him. "I'm sure I can find my way. And I have Ned and Emery to help as well."

"Oh, psssh," he laughed, ruffling my hair once, the action making me blush bright red. "What kind of host would I be to let the guest fend for himself in a jungle like this?"

"You are too kid, Auden," I said softly, and his lips curled up in a smile, as he started walking down the hall, turning back to bid me good night, before slipping around the corner as I walked into my own room, flopping down heavily on the soft bed, not bothering to peel off the numerous layers of clothing that were stiff since they were brand new.

It had been a long day, but a good one. I think there was someone that made it so good, but I was out like a candle in the wind before I could think about it any further.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nine chapter for one day haha :3
How odd.
But I am so sorry for the wait- homework has been killing me slowly, but I should be pretty clear now. Well, hopefully.
And hopefully you liked that chapter! The next one will be even better, I'm sure! ^_^
xx