Status: Going on hiatus.

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

king

Though Elijah was very against it at first, two days later, the pack split up into three teams to recruit allies. The splitting up of teams actually hadn't been that difficult, though, because we found that most of the pack was terrified of this entire situation. We had barely noticed but less and less members had come to the last few meetings but when Elijah finally made a few phone calls, he discovered that they had withdrawn from the pack. He couldn't blame them, after all, something so serious was frightening and they promised to rejoin if it all blew over.

In the end, Jordan, Beau, and Nicolette left for the task of recruiting the nearest nest of werecoons. Elijah, Andrew, and Carter left to settle things with the werefoxes. Felix, Mason, and I are sent to make arrangements with a group of were deer. A few members of the pack who had quit agreed to watch over the territory in our absence, so we essentially had all bases covered.

The territory of the weredeer, surprisingly, isn't very far. We drive a few miles east to a town even smaller and more Podunk than ours. As Felix explains, it's because weredeer act much like actual deer. They don't truly stay organized. When there is enough of them in an area to be considered a pack, they elect a king to govern them and that is about it. They meet sometimes but not often. In the grand scheme of two natured, weredeer are the second largest group but they are too scattered to form plausible herds.

"Promise me that you'll stay close to me?" Felix asks as we stop on the side of the road. He puts his pickup into park and then turns it off. Mason stays silent. I smile but am a little offended.

"I think I can handle myself."

"That's not what I'm worried about," Felix says under his breath. "I've just heard that this weredeer king is very... odd. I want to keep you safe, okay?"

I look at him with curiosity but he wouldn't say more on the matter. He expects me just to trust him - and I do. After agreeing, we file out of the truck and into the open air. We undress quickly and shift and take off under the cover of the trees. Felix explains to me that finding their meeting place should be easy enough if we follow the scent, and Elijah had contacted the king ahead of time so that he knew to expect us. He is right of course; the smell is very strong and overwhelming. It takes us no time at all to find the deer.

The weredeer are an incredible sight. The clearing that they dwell in is open and the sun shines down intensely, accenting all the golden flowers that grow amongst the tall grass. In the middle of the clearing sits a poorly crafted throne made from twigs and logs and the like, just as we have our own throne covered with wolf pelt. Upon the throne, a very beautiful man sits naked with a crown of flowers adorning his head. Surrounding their king, the two natured are all half-shifted; they have the lower body of deer while keeping their torso and upper body human, aside from the antlers upon their heads. They tower over regular deer in comparison and are taller than us wolves, in fact. I shift back slowly, watching the centaur-deer in awe. It would have taken a lot of practice and self control to maintain such a transition.

"Welcome, wolves. I trust that you will not bite any of my subjects," coos the king, speaking very elegantly as if he were actual royalty. He is tall and slender, but had enough muscles on him to have the sweat forming on them to be considered attractive. He has a mess of golden hair amongst his flower crown and a pair of sharp green eyes.

"As long as you don't eat any of our trash," I joke from behind Felix. He instantly shoots me a look and I let my eyes settle on looking at the ground. He was serious when he had said to stay close. It's too late though; my small comment attracts the attention of the king and he fixes his eyes on me and then smiles lazily to himself.

"Fair enough, sir. What may I call you?"

"Felix. And that is Mason and Priscilla, my mate," Felix states defensively while gesturing toward both me and the baby wolf. Mason lifts a hand in greeting but I remain still and silent. The king raises an eyebrow to me, but I follow my boyfriend's advice and step closer to him.

"I am Liam. I rule here," he says, flashing another toothy grin. "I was lead to believe that we had some business to conduct here, do we not?"

"That's right. I won't beat around the bush or extend any more formalities; werebears are in the area and they want our territory. Who's to say they won't conquer yours once ours has been destroyed."

"Calm down there, sailor," laughs Liam. "I assume what you want is an alliance. You want us to aid you in the event that the werebears should decide to attack, right?"

"Yes," Mason chimes in.

"Well, you're a little late. Their Alpha has already approached me with such an offer as well. They don't really need the extra force, but it would seem that they're trying to corner you. With no allies, you have no choice but to surrender without a fight," Liam says casually. He turns and seats himself on his throne. "Their Alpha isn't like normal werebears. Most are unintelligent brutes. This one is still a brute, but he is a brute with a plan. He goes by Adam."

"Well, have you accepted their offer?" Felix inquires. I take a moment to examine him. Just when it seems that all hope is lost, he puts on a brave face and keeps pushing forward. If the deer have allied with the bears, there is little to no hope for us at all.

"Well, no. See, I seal partnerships with a trade. In order for my help, you must give me something; something that I treasure. Adam claimed that he had something of such caliber and would be back in a few days to persuade me once again. And I believe him."

Felix is sweating now, I can see it. He's worried, but I can't be for certain why. We just found out that the deer remain without alignments. They're fair game! But if he's still worried, I can trust in his instinct that something terrible is about to come.

"And what would you want in exchange for allying with the wolves?" Felix is stern but quiet. Despite his attempt at silence, all of the centaur-deer stop dead in their tracks and crane their heads toward us. They all look down or away, anything to avert their eyes from meeting any of ours.

Liam laughs and it's as though all of the world stops just to hear it echo. The birds spring from nearby branches and take flight, but oddly enough, the laugh is silky and beautiful. It's the kind of beauty that can only imply pain. Liam gestures around his clearing before speaking.

"I am a collector, dear friends. I collect anything that is of the absolute strangest beauty. Trade me something - or someone - beautiful, and my allegiance is yours," he says slowly and then starts again just in time to cut Felix off. "And lucky for you, I have already set my price; I want her. Your mate."

"Why me?" I break into the conversation before anyone else has the time to react. Felix looks pissed but right now, that doesn't matter. I hate to sound conceded, but I do consider myself to be attractive, but nothing beautiful; especially not beautiful enough to be his collection item.

"You really don't know? You're different than other two natures! You're not like us at all. It's strange and wonderful and I can feel it crawling over my skin. You radiate with beauty and triumph, young Priscilla. That is why."

"What do you mean I'm different?" I ask in a panicked tone. Liam winks at me and I shudder. Whether he's being truthful or not, I realize that this will not help us get him on our side. These questions - as pressing as they are - could be answered later. We have a mission here. I swallow hard and focus. "If I promise to exchange myself in exchange for your help, I have one condition."

"Priss, no." Felix demands but I tune him out.

"What would that be, child?" the deer king questions.

"I am only to be your prize if it comes to a battle and our side wins. If Adam leaves beforehand for another reason, this transaction is meaningless. Do we have ourselves a deal?"

The king grinned, his flower's petals dancing colors in the shining sun. "Deal."
♠ ♠ ♠
wow almost a year since the last update.
no promises anymore ugh