Status: Finished~

Like The Brightest Star, You Shine Through

We Laugh In The Face of Love

Ronnie

Walking into my first period class, I notice everyone looking over at me with all their eyebrows raised and I sigh softly, glancing over at Mrs. MacMillan, giving me the unimpressed glare she always gives me every time I walk in late for class. I mumble a quick apology for taking my seat at the back of the class, her monotone voice starting back up again and continuing on with the lesson. I swear, she has the most boring voice I have ever heard. I’ve actually ended up falling asleep during this class multiple times.

I drop my bag in the middle of the aisle and plop down in the chair attached to the wooden desk, immediately leaning back and resting my head against the wall behind me. I kick my bag underneath my desk and lift my feet up to rest on the lump, staring up at the front of the room blankly to make it look like I’m actually paying attention as I go through my plans for the week ahead.

I quickly get bored with my eyes focusing on Mrs. MacMillan’s 80’s haircut, so my eyes wander around the room, examining all the girls trying to look good and attract guys, sucking on their pens and twirling their hair between their fingers. I roll my eyes as I notice all the guys actually looking at the desperate girls before averting my eyes out of boredom.

For probably the first time in the last three months since school started back up again, I notice a figure sitting in the desk beside me. My face drops slightly at the sight, noticing just how oblivious to everything around me I am, when I’m caught up in my thoughts, and all the other girls around me that I could possibly have a chance with.

A single eyebrow of mine lifts up and my eyes rake over the girl’s face closely, feeling my teeth sink into my bottom lip as I look at her. She’s not like all the other girls, with her medium length, black hair falling in front of her less than feminine face. I can’t tell if she has a flat chest or just really small boobs because of her baggy Set Your Goals shirt. I smile slightly at the band shirt, taking a mental note that she knows damn good music. You don’t find many of those girls around anymore, I find - at least, not here.

When she turns her head and her eyes land on mine, I quickly turn my face away from her and avert my eyes back to the front of the room, realizing that I was staring for way too long; much longer than I should have been. Now it’s going to be awkward between us for the rest of eternity, just because she caught me staring at her. I guess it’s no loss, though, because the type of girl she is... They don’t sleep around. They’re not as easy as all the other girls I’ve been with, which is a problem, because I only fuck. Relationships definitely aren’t my thing. I can’t commit to anything, and I’ll admit that with my head held high.

I swallow the awkward lump in my throat, my eyes darting over to her and away again, a bit afraid that she’ll catch me a second time. Of course, thanks to my luck, she does. I notice the light blush creeping onto her cheeks and I smile softly to myself. The pink tint painting her cheeks is cute, and I can’t keep quiet anymore.

“Sup,” I greet her without thinking, mentally cursing at myself. I need to get better at talking to girls that I don’t just want to sleep with. “I’m Ronnie,” I say with a small smile on my lips.

She smiles weakly back at me and waves at me a bit, her eyes falling to her desk. She doesn’t open her mouth to reply, not for a second, and I frown slightly. Maybe she’s just shy. I don’t try to talk to her any more though, as she looks like she really doesn’t want to talk to me. She doesn’t even look like she’s aware of anything around her. She seems like she’s in her own world, lost in her thoughts and keeping quiet simply because she doesn’t want to be brought into reality. I have no problem with that, at all.

I sigh softly and look back towards the front, frowning slightly to myself and staring blankly ahead of myself. I wish she’d talk to me, but I have no control over what she does and doesn’t do. I don’t mind if she doesn’t, either, I’d just like to hear her voice. Or maybe it’s a pride thing, and I need to know that not just the dump, preppy bitches want to sleep with me. Why do they want to, anyway? I’m far from their type. Oh yeah, because I’m fucking amazing between the sheets. Or so I’ve been told.

Grinding my teeth together and absentmindedly raking my fingers through my hair, I continue staring blankly ahead of me and paying absolutely no attention at all to the lesson being taught to the class. In fact, I doubt no one else even is. It’s hard to keep up with Mrs. MacMillan as she talks with the same fucking tone the whole fucking time, and just keeps talking, and talking, and talking, and talking. Out of all my classes, I’d have to say this is my least favorite. It’s easy as fuck, but she makes it so damn boring.

I can’t help but to occasionally glance over at the girl beside me, whose name I haven’t gotten yet. I wish she would at least tell me her name. I’m dying here, not knowing her name or what her voice sounds like. I’m so damn curious, and when I can’t find out what I want to, I get irritated and frustrated. And when I’m irritated and frustrated, anyone within a ten mile radius is in danger.

The bell suddenly rings and brings me out of my thoughts, and I quickly jump up out of my seat and grab my bag, tossing it onto my shoulder. I look over at the girl and notice her sliding the straps of her backpack onto her shoulders, and just before she’s about to leave, I step in front of her with my eyes focused down on her.

I see her green eyes look up at me through her black hair and I smile slightly to myself again when I notice that same pink tint creep onto her cheeks, painting it with a cute blush. She tries to step pass me but I quickly move to block her way again, my small smile to myself turning into a big grin across my face.

“I never got your name,” I say, reaching over in both directions to rest my hands on the desks beside me so she has no way of dodging. “Usually when someone introduces themselves, they get an introduction in return. So either you’re new here, really fucking shy, or you don’t speak English - which I highly doubt, considering we’re in an English classroom right now.”

She bites her lip and sighs softly, shrugging her shoulders and slipping her hands into her pockets. “I don’t like talking to people,” she mumbles, her voice deeper than any other girl’s I’ve heard, but it matches her appearance perfect. “But my name’s Max.”

I raise an eyebrow and drop my hands from the desks, staring down at her. “No offence, but, isn’t that a guy’s name?” I ask slowly, hoping she doesn’t react badly to the question.

She shrugs again and glances around me, and I can tell her eyes are on Mrs. MacMillan who’s probably watching this whole thing from her desk. “It is when the full name’s Maxwell,” she answers, her voice somewhat shaky. “But mine’s...uh...” her eyebrows wrinkle a bit and I narrow my eyes slightly down at her before the rest of the sentence comes blurting out of her mouth. “Maxine.”

I stare down at her skeptically, a single eyebrow still raised, and my eyes narrowed slightly. I start to nod slowly, licking my lips a bit. “You seemed like you just forgot your name,” I say, trying to make it sound like a joke.

She laughs nervously and bites her lip, her eyes focused on her shoes which probably seem much more interesting to her right now than my face does. “I’ve been called Max for such a long time, no one calls me Maxine anymore,” she replies, seeming much more confident now.

“Huh,” I mumble, stepping back from her and walking backwards towards the front of the classroom, still looking at her. “Do you think you’d like to hang out with me tonight?” I ask without thinking, and I immediately feel like an idiot for even monitoring my words before they had the opportunity to leave my mouth.

Max blushes more and bites her lip, shrugging slightly yet again and slowly following me out of the aisle. “I don’t know,” she mumbles with a quiet sigh. I give her my famous puppy face and she frowns slightly before nodding a bit. “Alright, fine,” she mutters, rolling her eyebrows when a wide grin spreads across my face. “Just meet me out front after school; I’ll be on the steps.”

She brushes past me before I can reply and she rushes out the door, muttering something to herself under her breath. I walk out the door soon after, forcing the grin off my face when I realize it’s still plastered on. I shake my head a bit and attempt to get back in the game, knowing that my main goal of the day is to win her over and convince her to let me between her legs later on tonight.

Challenge accepted.
♠ ♠ ♠
1,654 words.