I Saw You in My Sleep

o1.

I woke to the sound of the door opening, at least I thought it was opening. I looked around the mess of bottles and saw that it was only closing, her footsteps fading away for the last time. The apartment was a wreck, clothes and glass scattered about. I had passed out from the alcohol hours ago and woke up, thinking she was coming back.

But she was leaving, like she always did. The sinking in my heart and the pain in my gut told me she wasn't going to be walking back through the door.

My eyes closed and memories flashed like white, blinding light behind my eyelids. I could have swore I saw her, but maybe it was in my dreams.

I thought I heard a plane crash, but it was only the sound of my heart shattering, the sound of her passion completely snapping.

The ghosts of memories creeped up my spine and breathed down my neck to whisper in my ear. I could have swore I saw her in my dreams, she was stitching up the seams of what had torn apart, fixing her broken promises that she couldn't stand to keep.

I thought she saw me confronting my fears, drowning them with a bottle of whiskey. I thought I saw her nursing our mangled hearts back to health.

I guess I thought a lot of things, but I never knew a damn thing. I thought she was trying to fix things, but I never knew she was tearing them further apart.
♠ ♠ ♠
256 pointless words.