Sequel: Meet You There
Status: FINISHED

Exchange

Chapter 19

The next morning Kayleigh dragged me Out of bed completely against my will, it was cold and I was tired.

I still sure that Sebastien wasn't telling me something but he didn't want to give it up. I’d tried a few times already but he really did not want to give up whatever was eating at him. The boys and Kayleigh could also tell something was up, but it was clear that they were all in the dark as much as I was.

"Jess are you sure you're alright? You seem a little phased out this morning.." Kayleigh asked as I came back from the bathroom.
"umm really I don't know, in fine. Don't worry" I replied, pulling up a smile
"you sure?" she asked.
"I'm fine, I’m just a little worried about Sebastien, he didn't seem like his usual self yesterday afternoon. He said nothing's wrong but I feel like there is" I finally said.
"yeah I got that vibe too, don't worry, I'm sure he'll get over what ever it is. Just let it run it's course and deal with the heavy music and he'll be fine. He always is when something bugs him," he said reassuringly.
“you sure? I feel like its something a little bigger this time but I guess I’ll just let it run its course”
“… even if we have to deal with loud heavy music”
“come on he doesn’t listen to anyone THAT heavy…”
“oh he’s got a few CDs that come out of the woodworks when he’s pissed” she said laughing
"right… well I guess we’ll deal with the music and let it run its course” I said.

Sebastien wasn't much better this morning, still not too chatty in the morning, but I didn't say anything, instead I left it figuring it would run its course and I guess I could only be supportive. When he wanted to tell me, or anyone else for that matter, what was up, he would tell us, I guess.

“morning” I said with a soft smile as I entered the kitchen to find Sebastien sitting there with a bowl of cereal
“morning” he replied pushing the box of cocoa pops towards me.

Sebastien never has cocoa pops… ever

“thanks” I replied as I poured myself a bowl before putting a slice of bread in the toaster for Kayleigh so we wouldn’t be late.
“how’d you sleep” I asked, trying to make small talk
“fine” he said through gritted teeth.

I was going to try and further the conversation but it was clear that he really didn’t want to. Kayleigh finally came into the kitchen and noticed the tension but didn’t say anything about it, and just grabbed her toast before pushing me and Sebastien into the car so we wouldn’t be late.

By the time we had music, before lunch, I felt like if anything Sebastien was worse than he was in the morning.

Pierre and I sat there on the floor while Sebastien sat against the opposite wall. Normally the three of us sit together in music but today he’d taken to sitting by himself with his guitar just playing. Well not JUST playing, he was playing something a little heavier than he usually plays, but I guess like Kayleigh said; he deals with whatever bugs him with alone time and heavy music and that it’ll run its course.

"is he alright?" Pierre asked, turning to me
"that is something I don't know the answer to, He's been like this since yesterday afternoon," I replied sighing.
“have you tried talking to him?” he asked
“yeah I have but he wont say a word, has he said anything to you?”
“not that I can remember”

We went back to what we were working on but after a few minutes I couldn't take it anymore.

"he said nothing was wrong but something is really bugging him. I'll be back" I said to Pierre.

He gave me a look that said 'are you sure you want to go over there' and I just nodded, I knew he understood.

"Sebastien?" I asked as I got closer to him. "Sebby, mind if I sit?" I asked.
"sure" he said, slightly hostile, but gesturing to the empty space on the floor, so I say down next to him.

He clearly wasn't happy since he was slightly aggressive, well aggressive for him, whilst playing; breaking at least 2 strings.

"Seb, are you alright?" I asked finally after a few minutes of watching him play his guitar.
"perfectly. Fine." he said through gritted teeth.
"you sure? I'm not going to push it but, I just want to make sure you're alright." I said.
"Jess, please just... I'm fine... It’s just… I’m having one of those days. Okay?" he said sighing
"okay," I said reluctantly, starting to get up, "but you know if you want to talk about anything, whatever it is, we can talk okay?" I said, then leant down and kissed his cheek before going back over to Pierre.

"no luck?" he asked, and I just shook my head.
"he said he's just having a bad day. I disagree but I think I'm going to have to listen to Kayleigh on this one and let it run it's course" I said
"Probably the best thing to do I guess" Pierre responded with a weak smile.
“Hey, I know you’re a little worried, I am too as well to be honest. Even when he’s having a bad day I’ve never seen him like this, but he’ll get through it okay?” he said as he put his arm around me, and I nodded.
“hey he knows that you’re around if he wants to talk to you, and I know that if its more than just a bad day he’ll come and talk to me and boys. He always does. So no need to worry okay?” he said with a smile
“okay”

When the bell went for lunch Pierre and I waited for Sebastien and then walked together in silence to the cafeteria, got out food and then sat down with everyone at our usual table.

“Jess do you want my chips?” asked Pat
“wait is Patrick Langlois REALLY asking me if I want food” I said laughing
“why is that so shocking?” he asked confused
“because a) you NEVER give away food” said Chuck
“and b) Jess, turn down food? You’re kidding right” said David laughing
“HEY!” I scolded
“but its true?” said Kayleigh
“Hey, I never said I was denying it” I said laughing
“just give her the damn chips if you don’t want them!” said Sebastien making everyone look at him
“well Pat’s not going to eat them and Jess is so just give them to her?” he said being completely logical.

His mood had slightly picked up being around everyone while we joked around at lunch.

“hey Jeff….” I started as I looked over at what he hadn’t eaten a few minutes before the end of lunch, I have to admit my friends were right, food is all I think about. Even my friends back home bag me out about it… admittedly they also only think of food so its okay.
“yes…” he said cautiously
“actually never mind” I said
“no, what do you want?” he asked
“I was going to ask if I could have a sip of your coke but I changed my mind”
“here have the rest” he offered gesturing to his cup
“nahh its okay, I’ll have a sip of Sebastien’s” I said smiling as I reached for Sebastien’s cup.
“what are you doing?” Sebastien asked looking at me confused
“having a sip of your drink if that’s alright?” I said looking at him a little confused. Like what did it look like I’m doing? He’s never had a problem with this before… I’m a little confused but I guess he’s really just not having a good day.
“don’t worry bout it” I said as I moved my hand away from his cup and taking up Jeff’s offer.
Just as the bell went Sebastien went back to how he was before lunch, back to his own little solitary world.
“Sebastien, are you alright?” asked Pat
“I’m fine okay. Can everyone quit asking me what’s wrong. I’m fine.” he snapped before walking away
“umm what was that about?” Patrick asked the rest of us completely confused
“to be honest we really have no clue” said Kayleigh looking at me a little worried.
“he just said he’s having a bad day, I think its more than that. I asked him before but well whatever it is that’s eating him, he ain’t giving it up” I said
“don’t worry bout it, he always comes around” said David with a faint smile before giving me a quick hug and leaving for class.

By the end of the day Sebastien’s mood was back to how it was this morning. He still didn’t want to talk, and I could tell something was still wrong but I really had no clue what it was since nothing had really happened in the last few days unless I missed something. But whatever was wrong with him, I was just going to have to wait it out until he was willing to talk, if not to me, or Kayleigh at least to one of the guys. Right?