Sequel: Ain't No Sunshine
Status: Possible Crossover Action.

Behind the Veil

Comes A Time

Things changed significantly since that night Lola had left. Her mind became weaker without the love of her family to soothe her guilt. Franz Keller was getting everything he ever wanted, a blank slate to practice his mutation on. His powers strengthened and he used Lola like a marionette doll. She was the doll he always wanted, just like the ones his mother used to collect when he was a small child. However he would not let this doll out of his sights, Franz wanted full control of Lola. Her life with Franz made her numb to emotions, perhaps a good thing after all the guilt she felt. They moved to the East coast up in the state of Maine where the population was low. As a powerful mutant, Franz Keller got onto the radar of Professor Charles Xavier.

The Professor sensed the strong telepathic abilities that Franz exuded. Using Cerebro he located both Franz and Lola rather easily. He was disturbed by the state of Lola’s mind and he knew that she needed to be rescued by the X-Men. His team saw how the Professor looked when he came out of Cerebro.

“What‘d you see Professor?”

“Logan, perhaps you remember Lola Novak?”

“Yeah that plant broad that got attacked by Sabertooth,” Logan responds remembering the feisty brunette that came back to life.

“It seems a very powerful telepath has his grips on her mind. He is the one that is responsible for some of the attacks on humans,” Professor X states in a serious tone. “Miss Novak needs our assistance. Prepare the jet Scott, we must leave as soon as possible.”

The group to head out to retrieve Lola and to stop Franz Keller included Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm and Professor X. If they weren’t dealing with a telepath, Professor X wouldn’t have had to go but when dealing with telepaths it was difficult to overpower them with their influence in their minds. Arriving at the old secluded factory the group was weary and aware of the surroundings. Wolverine sniffed the air attempting to find the woman he had met before. The scent of the woman had changed to something more potent and almost poisonous yet he followed it leading the group behind him. Franz Keller was not prepared for the fight for he had focused all his attention on manipulating Lola’s mind. When the X-Men had arrived, Franz was forced to use Lola to protect himself from their attacks. She wore little clothing revealing the problem areas of her mutation where the thorns protruded from her skin. A trickle of blood dripped from the defensive reaction of thorns. Vines came out of her forearms and prepared for a fight.

Professor X gained entrance to her mind and began to soothe her mind while the others took control of Franz Keller. Busy trying to calm Lola Professor X failed to gain control of Franz and the others were fighting one another while he moved to make his escape. This time he would be letting Lola go to save his own neck. He already was slashed by Wolverine’s notorious claws and he needed to make his leave to survive the manic rage filled man. Submitting Lola to a deep sleep the team was able to extract her and bring Lola to safety.

While she slept Professor X attempted to bring her mind back to normality but he soon realized the severity of what Franz Keller had done to her mind. He kept her in the laboratory to rework her mind and help her gain control of her life. The type of damage he had seen was on par with what he had dealt with in Logan’s mind. With each session her body gained back its color but she was still weak. During this time Logan seemed to have formed a kinship with the brunette. One night as he watched over her, she woke with a jolt as if having a horrible nightmare. Logan placed his hand on her shoulder in a reassuring manner only to have a thorn go into his skin. He felt slightly disoriented from the hit but his advanced healing factors kicked in. Her eyes grew wide when she recognized the man she just harmed.

“It‘s alright kid, we‘re helping ya get your head back in order,” Logan states before she opened her mouth to speak. A sigh escaped her lips and she brought her gaze to her hands.

“I hate that I let this happen,” she spoke in a slightly angry tone. She looked at her skin that seemed to crackle from lack of moisture and the thorny texture of the vines that sprouted from her skin. “I look and feel like hell.”

“Yeah lookin‘ a little on the dry side,” he comments humorously. Lola was unable to repress a small smile and tried to hide the fact she did so. “No use hiding that smile kid I saw it already.”

“I‘m surprised you‘re even in here, I thought you weren‘t too keen on me after our first meeting.”

“Yeah well we got something in common.”

“What‘s that?”

“We both have a strong dislike for Viktor Creed and we both been under the control of someone else before,” Logan states pulling out his cigar from his pocket.

“Well it‘s nice to know I‘m not the only one,” Lola says as she tinkered with the IV that had been inserted into her arm. She looked back up at him then gave a small smile while gesturing to the cigar. “I see you‘re a cigar man as well… I think we‘ll get along just fine.”
“Logan if you light that cigar in here, I will make you believe you are a cocker spaniel going through labor, do I make myself clear?” Professor X says upon entering the area. Logan raised his eyebrow at the Professor before slipping the cigar and lighter back in his pocket. “How are you feeling Lola?”

“I imagine this is what a terrible hangover feels like,” Lola answers comically. The Professor smiled broadly at her, happy that her humor was still intact.

“Your amusing humor is still alive, this is a very good sign. I have arrange a room for you and I‘m guessing a nice bath is what you need to feel better.”

“That‘s sounds wonderful, I feel like a houseplant that has been denied water for weeks.”

“Understandable,” he smiles. It was quiet for a few moments before Lola spoke again but this time she was very serious in her words.

“Thank you for helping me out, I honestly don‘t think I could have done that on my own as much as I hate to admit, Franz had a lot of dirt on me and he amplified all the terrible things I‘ve done.”

“There was nothing you could have done in regards to your father Lola, I think you need to know that his reaction to Marx‘s treatment was irreversible, unlike your brother‘s,” The Professor says placing his hand on top of hers. “Guilt can drive a person mad.”

“Clearly,” Lola muttered darkly as she swung her legs to the side of the bed. She looked down to notice the plain gold ring on her left hand. Her snapped upwards and she let out a groan. “God damn it please tell me I didn‘t waste my first marriage to that bastard.”

“Afraid so, however it could be void if he used fake id‘s on your behalf.”

“Of course they are fake, I died, for all purposes I‘m dead to the federal government,” she counters pulling the ring off her finger.

“To be sure we could always kill him,” Logan suggests.

“We don‘t kill our own kind Logan,” the Professor says giving Logan a disapproving look.

“We can make an exception, I‘ll refrain from attacking Sabertooth if I get Franz.”

“There will be no attacking, he is gone from your life Lola, you‘re safe.”

Lola shook her head but said nothing in response. She should have felt safe but she knew he’d be back. Franz always came back. For the time being she just went along with things, attempting to get a strong head on her shoulders and get to good health. Perhaps it was best that the X-Men were the ones to find her, she needed help even if she didn’t admit it.

The next couple weeks she did get better, she would communicate with her family every once in a while so they knew she was alright. However the longer she stayed the more she felt the need to remain there. Logan and Lola became quite the team together. Once she was fit enough, she joined in the training and they all soon realized she shared the same fierceness that Wolverine had. Because of this reason the pair got along fairly well. It was no secret that Lola avoided Viktor Creed at all costs mostly because of the grudge she held against him. He made no attempt to apologize for his past actions and Lola responded by on many occasions running off with Logan.

One particular night she grew sick of seeing him and Logan offered to take her to the city where she could see her good friend Emi. They left the country side of New York without delay on Logan’s motorcycle and arrived in the city by early evening. Lola had wanted to surprise Emi and she managed that by showing up at her small studio apartment. Emi was ecstatic to see Lola show up at her front door and upon seeing her she attacked her dear friend with a hug. Lola welcomed the display of affection for she hadn’t had anyone genuinely hug her. She enjoyed the warmth and love she never got during her time with Franz. Finally Emi let Lola go and looked at her with tears in her eyes.

“Bitch where the fuck have you been? I was worried sick about you!”

“Sorry, I‘ve been recovering from an unpleasant encounter. I‘d like you to meet my friend Logan,” Lola smiles gesturing to Logan. “Logan this is my lovely Emi.”

“Nice to meet ya,” Logan replies.

“Come in I‘ll make us some dinner. I just went to the store today,” Emi states as she flashed the new man a smile. She had to admit her friend did have some good taste in men for the most part. They all entered the modest little studio apartment and began relaxing over a few beers.

All the while across town at Stark Industries, Tony Stark along with his fellow Avenger the powerful Thor were downing drinks. Both were stuck wallowing in misery except Thor seemed to be displaying his depression in a more visible manner. Thor son of Odin was lying in the rather large bathroom tub shirtless and surrounded by empty bottles of Bacardi 151. He held on half empty bottle in his right hand as the television played music videos. It seemed the station he was on was having an all day event of the musician Adele. Tony Stark gave up on his comrade who had locked himself in the bathroom while Tony had a slew of women inhabiting the main area of the penthouse. Thor was glued to the screen completely transfixed by the soulful music only telling of romance and sadness.

“How doth this maiden Adele know my pain? I must see my lady and sing these ballads to proclaim my woe since she has left my life.”

Tony had about eight attractive women dancing and fawning over him when Thor slipped out the door. Even for a demigod Thor had managed to get very inebriated mostly because the supply of alcohol seemed endless at Tony’s penthouse. Although he stumbled through the streets of New York he was determined to get to Emi’s apartment. It had begun to rain when he stood in front of her building on the empty street. Then things got worse, the god of thunder began to belt out Adele’s notoriously heartbreaking song ‘Someone Like You.’It was a little past midnight when Logan heard the sounds of a man singing outside and Lola was who noticed the hint of humor in his eyes while he looked out the window.

“There‘s some nut job out here singing in the rain,” Logan comments with Lola joined him near the window. She burst into laughter almost immediately when she saw the shirtless blonde man lighted by the dim streetlights.

“Hey Emi I think someone‘s out there for you,” Lola states in between laughs. Emi gave her friend a strange look before joining them at the window. Her eyes went wide upon seeing Thor standing in the middle of the street. Opening the window the singing grew louder and the neighbors already started to complain.

“Shut the fuck up!”

“Doth know who I am?! I am Thor god of thunder you stupid mortal and you will tolerate my proclamations of love to my lady,” Thor counters in an angry fashion. Lola was not doubled over laughing in a manner Logan had never seen. She clutched her side and wiped a tear from her eye before Emi shot her a dirty look.

“Don‘t give me that look, a demigod has discovered Adele and gratuitous amounts of alcohol and is now singing outside your window shirtless.”

“It‘s less than ideal from a romanticist‘s point of view, but I don‘t want to bring him up here,” Emi responds looking indifferent to the situation.

“Understandable, Logan are you up for assisting me to send thunder pants on his way?”

“Would it be too much trouble to make sure he gets somewhere safe?” Emi questions looking at her friend with hope.

“Of course not,” Lola replies with a smile. Logan agreed to the whole thing because he sensed this guy incredibly strong and he didn’t want Lola potentially overpowered. Emi hugged Lola before they left to take Thor away. There was hast in Lola’s walk being that she didn’t want the cops to be called on the guy. She didn’t have a problem with him aside from the fact he left Emi for Asgard leaving her heartbroken. Upon walking towards Thor, Lola gave an awkward wave whilst Logan kept close.

“Where is my lady love?” he inquires.

“She doesn‘t want to see you right now Thor,” Lola states.

“Nonesense! Emilia!”

“Hey Bubb the lady doesn‘t wanna see you,” Logan responds.

“Quiet time Logan,” Lola counters giving her friend a quick look before turning her attention to Thor. “Honey, this just isn‘t the way to go about talking to her, you‘ve been drinking, you don‘t even have shoes or a shirt on. Is this how you plan to woo her?”

“But she must know,” Thor argues like a child.

“You are in no condition to be proclaiming anything, no matter how attractive you may look without a shirt, you are still a mess and you got to have your shit together if you are going to be with her,” she scolds. Thor let out a sigh and bowed his head. All the while Logan hailed a taxicab. “She is a lady who deserves the best, not a drunken display of affection. Now lets get you back and make sure you get some sleep.”

He didn’t say anything just got into the car like it was his mother or father ordering him to do so. Logan seemed impressed with her skills and he got into the cab with them. Lola was sandwiched between the two burly men and she turned to Thor with an expectant gaze.

“Oh hmm, Stark Tower,” Thor answers her silent question. The taxi driver merely started the drive whilst Lola muttered a couple obscenities under her breath. She remained quiet as did everyone else in the cab and when the destination grew closer Lola wanted nothing more than to turn around. Because she had told Emi that she would take Thor somewhere safe she had to suck it up. A hopeful thought entered her mind, maybe just maybe Tony was out elsewhere. That was a nice thought one she hoped come true as they rode the elevator up to the suite. Logan sensed how tense Lola was and remembered that she had at one point been with Tony Stark.

Of course the door was opened and the music turned up high playing the latest hip-hop music. In addition to the music there was the sound of girls giggling and it was enough for Lola to want to rush the whole drop off. Thor stumbled on the random step and fell over causing Lola to let out a sigh. She was going to have to walk the drunk man past the terrace area in which Tony entertained his guests. However stealth like she attempted to be Thor was not of any help and attracted the attention of Tony. Tony had only seen the back of her head and Logan trailing behind. So he opted to make a joke.

“Point Break, who knew you were so open minded to threesomes. I hope the girl is at least attractive if you are willing to share her with some other guy,” Tony states walking towards them with a woman on each arm. Logan raised an eyebrow at Tony, it was clear the man was extremely inebriated. Lola turned shooting Tony a look. She was the last person he expected to see and for a moment his eyes went wide with surprise.

“We‘re just bringing him back,” Lola states leading Thor towards the guest bedroom.

“Help yourself to something to drink, we‘re all having fun here tonight, isn‘t that right ladies?” he says appearing to be unfazed by her. “Your boyfriend Mutton Chops can even get something.”

“No thanks. We‘ll be leaving soon.”

“You are very good at leaving so it‘s nice to see you‘re sticking to your strengths. Hey Stacy, why don‘t you show my friend Thor some love, he‘s awfully lonely.”

“Tony he needs to go to bed,” Lola responds.

“What are you his mother?”

“Clearly,” she retorts sarcastically before walking away with Thor beside her. Tony decided to play it cool and go ahead with the party he had going not to let Lola know her presence had him feeling any sort of emotion. She set Thor on the bed and ordered that he lie on his side to avoid choking on his own vomit in his sleep. Turning to Logan she gave a feeble smile while she shut the door of the sleeping demigod‘s room. Logan placed his hand on her shoulder and they began walking back towards the exit. She couldn’t help but gaze at the horrible sight of Tony with all those other girls. He was out of control, now wearing part of the Iron Man suit to show off. Lola stopped short of the door then used her powers to cause the plant near them to overgrow and reach towards the group. The girls screamed dramatically and moved away from Tony who merely glared at Lola.

“Not nice to scare people,” Tony states.

“Yeah well since you are in the mood to show off I figured why not give them a better show,” Lola counters. The women were quick to leave the apartment with Logan opening the door for them. Lola made a move towards Tony as a vine slide down her arm and up to touch the side of his face. Again with her abilities she released a toxin to subdue him to a deep sleep. Crouching down next to his unconscious body she took off the Iron Man arm and set it on the counter. Once she was finished she and Logan left the place.

“Aren‘t you the nice one,” Logan jokes.

“Hey weapons and drinking don‘t mix, it was a law suit waiting to happen.”

In reality, she just hated seeing him whoring around and drinking while operating his suit. It wasn’t safe to do what he was doing and even though she was heartbroken she didn’t wish him to become injured. But the worst part about truth was that she had a hard time admitting it so she just made it seem like her actions were less emotionally based. Lola couldn’t be with Tony, not after all that happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for Miss Emi. Hope you enjoyed this update. :)