Status: Work in progress

Hellcat

Close But No Cookie

When I awoke next it was dark outside. I could hear the engine of a car pull into the drive way and felt a sudden urge to escape and get as far away as possible. The bedroom door was open a little and light from a distant room fell on the floor, through the gaps in the doorway. I threw the blanket back and jolted out of bed. The floor was cool but I continued to walk to the door. With my left hand I grasped the knob and slowly opened the door. Not a sound was made. 'So far so good'. I quickly tip toed out of the room and into the kitchen, it was clean and tidy and the scent of lemon wafted towards me. A light turned off somewhere outside the house and voices could be heard. They were getting closer and louder but more muffled. Fear had frozen me in place, like a sheet of ice covering my feet, preventing me from walking, or running. 'What now?!' I scanned the kitchen for an escape route and had spotted one but not before the jingle of keys being slipped into a lock had reached me. The click of the lock echoed throughout the house. I dashed back into the bedroom and slid back under the safety of the covers. "Shit!" I whispered to myself. I reacted out of fear instead of leaving out the back door!
"Remind me to never let you pick the movie again!" came a woman's voice, loud, clear, and cheerful.
"Ha Ha Ha, Ma, you and I both know you loved it!", the voice of the young man was playful and teasing.
"You're right!", both laughed then the woman shushed and whispered " We don't want to wake the girl."
"I'll go check on her." said the young man. I suddenly felt shy and nervous. 'What the heck was wrong with me? shy? Really, emotions?'. I pulled the covers up and over my face then began pretending to sleep. There were paced foot steps outside; they stopped short when they reached the door and continued inside when the door was opened. He stopped somewhere beside the bed and on the edge.
"Are you awake?" he asked quietly. I didn't know if i should answer or not so I merely continued "sleeping".
"Look I'm sorry about what happened. I don't know if you can hear me or not but I'm sorry about not getting to you in time." he whispered again but more gentle. This brought on uncontrollable tears. The emotion was unseen and this just confirmed that I was right.
"How is she?" came the woman's voice.
"Asleep...I think" he replied almost hesitantly.
"What are we going to do?" her voice grew louder which indicated she was coming closer.
"I'm going to call Randall tonight."