Status: Ack-tea-via ^_^

It Happened in Jersey

Feeling Like An Outsider

I stared out the window as my family and I drove almost halfway across the country. Driving from Florida all the way up to little New Jersey was tedious. I've been in the car for longer than I could stand, and I was so close to just opening the door and jumping out. But of course I knew better. Don't want to get massive asphalt burns... ouch.

Finally, after about 7 hours of driving, we came to a stop infront of a hotel. God only knows where I am.

"Uhm...Mom? Where are we?" I asked and looked at the front of this run-down hotel. Yeah, it's one of those types, where the lights flicker and you can smell the cigarette smoke coming from the room next door.

"I'm... not exactly sure, hun," she replied honestly. Well, that made me feel better.

I sighed and opened the car door, finally getting the chance to stretch out my stiff legs. Sitting cramped up in a little minivan is oh-so painful. I went around to the back of the car and opened the trunk, getting out my bright green bag. It was almost as big as me, and just as heavy. Sometimes, it really sucks being so small.

I started to topple over when my dad came around the car and picked up my bag for me. He chuckled and shook his head, carrying three bags at the same time. I muttered a quick "thanks" and moved on to the next, smaller looking bag. I seemed to manage carrying this one, at least.

After we checked in, we went to go put our bags in our room. I almost ran to the door. Who knew sitting in the backseat of a car while your parents drove for 7 hours could be so exhausting? I did a mini jump into the air and landed firmly on the bed. I didn't even bother changing out of the clothes I'd been wearing all day.

The last thing I saw was my dad flip on the TV right before sleep enveloped my mind.

_~*__*~__*~__~*__*~

I woke up feeling fully rested and dreading the next 7 more hours of driving. I desperately needed some coffee... or a Redbull. I felt my mom moving around the room almost silently, and I tried to untangle myself from the bed sheets.

"HEY MOM!" I all but yelled. She jumped and almost spilt her coffee. Since I moved so silently and like a ninja, she didn't notice me and I was suddenly standing right next to her. I'm surprised I didn't give her a heart attack.

"HARLEY!" my mother yelled back at me. "Don't do that! You almost scared me to death." She put her hand over her heart, trying to look dramatic.

I giggled and hugged her to my side. She was only a couple inches taller than me, with bright blue eyes and blonde hair. Even though my hair is dark brown, and I have hazel eyes, we do look alike. Truthfully, I just look like a darker version of my mother.

"So, what's on the agenda for today?" I asked mom, moving away from her. I started digging through my suitcase, deciding it would be a good idea to change.

"After your father gets out of the shower, we're going to get breakfast downstairs." Oh, so this crappy place servesbreakfast? Well.. I guess it's not THAT bad, then. "And when that's done, it's back to driving, driving, and MORE driving!" she said in an annoying high-pitched voice.

I groaned and put my 'Asking Alexandria' shirt on. I'm glad I remembered to take the suitcase with all of my favorite clothes in it. I also put on my pink skinny jeans and my silver studded belt. I don't like being labeled but - as a part of human nature - I am. I guess you can consider me 'scene' even though I'm just being me. In my old school, I was slightly bullied when I first started dressing this way and listening to this type of music. I still don't understand it...I'm living my life, LEAVE ME ALONE.

I pounded on the thin bathroom door, yelling at my dad. "COME ON! I'm hungry, I need breakfast and I want to be done with this stupid driving already."

"I'm coming, I'm coming." my dad grumbled at me, walking out of the bathroom, still dripping wet from the shower. He was always grumpy in the morning. At least until he had his coffee. Then he turns into a sweet angel that is never rude or yells at anyone for doing something wrong.

"FINALLY!" I yell, practically skipping out of our disgusting hotel room. I pleaded on the three of us walking to the I-HOP across the street, since it was so close. Hey, I'm going to be smushed in the car for the next how many hours... Let my legs get a little workout.

As we crossed the intersection, someone pushed me from behind. "Lesbian, dyke. Get out of here, scene kid!" some jerk in red gym shorts yelled back at me. He continued walking away as I sat in the middle in the street, tears slowly rolling down my face.

We aren't even in Jersey yet, and people are already treating me like an outsider.
♠ ♠ ♠
My first chapter to my first story on mibba!
Comments are lovely and greatly appreciated.
Tell me how I did! <3