Status: Completed

Last Dance

1/1

Tonight was the best night of her life, but the worst for him. He had kept it within himself for so long, he never had the courage to tell her and now, it's too late.

Get a hold of yourself, Brad. She's getting married to someone she loves. The doors opened and the piano started to chime its melodious tune, snapping Brad out of his thought.

Brad could have sworn his jaw broke through the floor at touched the Earth's core. He had never seen her in such an elegant state —she always wore jeans and a simple shirt. On this rare occasion, he took as much of her as he could, trying to burn the image the goddess in front of him in his mind forever. The white dress that was so heavily guarded from everyone shocked Brad the most. It showed off her curves in all the right places with a veil that barely managed to cover her beautiful complexion, her hair tampered with and perfectly styled up in a bun, and to finish the look, in her hands was a bouquet of her favourite flowers, fresh pink carnations. She walked gracefully up the aisle, shooting Brad her signature grin on her way. His stomach reeled, butterflies fluttering madly all the while with his heart in his rib cage, beating too fast for a normal rate.

"I can't believe this is happening," the groom, sighed to his best man, Brad.

She finally came to a stop in front of her husband-to-be. Both of their faces were glowing. You could see it in both of their eyes of how happy they were. All Brad could do was stare and think about all the times he could've told her that he loved her. He had so many chances, so many. He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't hear any of them say their vows or their "I do".

However, he did here the priest say, "Does anybody, anybody at all, have any objection that these two shall not be wedded? If so, please speak now."

Should I say something? What if I can't? I loved her for so long —it hurts, dammit! But she looks so happy, I can't do that to her. I have to get over her. There are more fish in the sea. She's not mine. She's not mine. She's not mine. He bit his bottom lip and shoved his tightly clenched fists inside his pockets. No, don't let it out. No. It's already too late. No.

"No objections? Well then, with the power invested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride," the priest said proudly.

The veil lifted up ever so slowly, the groom taking his sweet time to memorize the moment. The whole time, Brad shut his eyes tightly. It was too much. The room was burning, his throat was tightening and his forehead was covered with beads of sweat. He needed to get out. Everyone in the room started to clap and cheer, some standing up and some making their way towards the new couple. He couldn't take it anymore. Slipping past the clusters of bodies, he took the long way to front doors and stepped outside in the cool breeze.

Image


There was an after party and obviously, Brad had to go. He wanted to be near her but not as close that he would be on the verge spilling out his true feelings. The party was at the groom's house but instead of celebrating, he sat outside on the grass staring up at the stars. No one was out there. He didn't know how long he was outside for but when he heard footsteps clicking behind him. He figured people were starting to wonder where he was.

"What are you doing out here, Brady?" It was the voice that lightened him up, that gave him goose bumps, that warmed his heart, that made his stomach tickle. It was her voice.

"Nothing," he answered back quietly. She sat down beside him earning a weird look from Brad.

"Your dress, isn't it going to get dirty?"

She simply rolled her eyes at him. "Who cares?"

"Still the same, I see?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, you're married, so..." He trailed off.

"So, what?"

"I don't know. I mean, you should be like a lady or something."

"How dare you? Don't you ever say that again," she gasped, her hand flying to the place where her beating heart was. Brad started laughing at her.

"You know what? I'm going to start treating you like a lady," he turned his head, giving her his casual smirk. At that very precise moment, he realized how beautiful she really looked. She wore make up that made her face take the breath away from any being on Earth.

"Wow, Audrey Heath, you look amazing." Brad mentally slapped himself. He should not have said that.

"And now you tell me?" She started giggling at his pink face.

"No, really. I mean this is like the first time I actually saw you dress up like a girl. At graduation, you still wore something simple. But right now you actually look like a proper girl." Again, he mentally slapped himself in the face. The words had come out before he could stop them.

"So, you're intending to say that I looked like a boy from the moment we met? Nice, just nice." Her voice was oozing with sarcasm.

"Maybe, maybe not." He winked at her.

There was about a five minute awkward silence, until Audrey broke it surprising Brad with what she said. "I can't take this anymore. Tell me who she is."

"Who she?"

"The girl you're madly in love with!" Her tone pitched up higher.

"I'm not madly in love with anybody," he lied with great difficulty.

"Don't lie to me, Brad Gorden. I can see it in your eyes. You like this girl and you never told me. But now, you're going to spill it to me." Her eyes narrowed down and she gave him her signature 'speak or die' look.

"Do you really want to know?"

"Yes!"

"Alright, I love her." Brad pointed up the moon and in result, he was punched in the shoulder.

"Tell me!" He started laughing at how childish she sounded.

"C'mon, Audrey, who cares who I like or not? She's not mine to love anymore," he said while standing up.

"Come, let's dance. It may be the last one." He offered her his hand. Brad knew that Audrey would let it go easily and that he would tell her later, so she took his outstretched hand. Her touch made him shiver.

"Why does it sound like you're going to jump off the face of the Earth? You're starting to worry me, you know?"

"It's your big day, you shouldn't get worked up about it over something silly." He led her back inside the house where people were swaying side to side with their partners. He saw Simon, his best friend, the groom, dancing with Audrey's mom, Mrs. Heath. Brad approached them and placed his hand on Audrey's waist, and, quite simply, started to dance. It wasn't after about three songs when Audrey cracked the silence, again.

"Why the long face, Gorden?" Audrey joked.

"Huh? Oh, nothing. My face is naturally like this." He rolled his eyes, smiling.

"No, something is bothering you. I've known you for fourteen years, so don't lie like you did last time." She was referring to the conversation outside.

"Seriously, why would I be upset? My two best friend's are getting married!" He said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Mind if we cut in, hun?" It was Mrs. Heath and her husband.

"Oh, go right ahead," Brad really didn't want to let Audrey go, but he had to.

"Thanks, man." Simon winked at Brad.

The whole time they danced, Brad couldn't help but look over at the newly wedded couple, and certainly, Mrs. Heath noticed.

"You like her, don't you?" It was clear in her voice that she was dying to say this.

It was one thing to lie to Audrey, but a hell of another story to make a fib in front of Mrs. Heath. He swallowed, looked at his feet, and nodded.

"Oh, my dear, Brad." She squeezed his shoulder lightly. "I've always known you loved her. And so did my husband. We were always on the edge that one day you will tell her. I guess it's too late now."

"Is this supposed to make me feel better?" He felt as if the world was suddenly bringing him down. "Sorry. I loved her ever since seventh grade up until now. And I just didn't know what do to or how to tell her. I guess I was scared that if she didn't love me back, it might've affect our relationship."

Mrs. Heath hugged him tightly as she saw the tears in his eyes.

"You have got to promise that you won't tell a soul about this or what I'm going to tell you next, yes?" Brad needed to get this off his chest. To tell someone besides his family.

"Promise."

"I'm moving out of town." Brad waited for her response, but all Mrs. Heath could do was stare, just stare. The Crest and the Heath family had been best friends since the beginning of time.

"Brad, you can't be serious. No, your parents they—" He cut her off.

"Mrs. Heath, I'm the only one going, everyone else is staying, just not me... I'm leaving at midnight." He glanced at his watch and it was already 11:34 PM.

"I should leave. Take care." He kissed the top of her head, and with much difficulty, left the party. Mrs. Heath looked as if her son had just died. Maybe it was something like that. Brad, Audrey and Simon were so close, you could've defined them as siblings.

It was heart wrenching to leave. He couldn't bear to see the look that Mrs. Heath gave him. It tore him up inside, bit by bit. Brad wiped the tears clean off his face and with one final glance at the house he'd practically grew up in, he started the car and headed off to start a new life with hopes of forgetting his childhood love.
♠ ♠ ♠
asdfghjkl. tell me what you think?
did this out of the loom :P