Insanity Speaks For the Broken Soul

Love is Sacrifice

Stanford was the first letter he had opened. The both of us were anxious and wanted to know the truth. Brad got too nervous to read it and made me read it instead. I took the paper from him and starting scanning the text.

“Dear Brad…congratulations!”

Brad turned to me and smiled. He gave me a big hug and started laughing.

“It’s good that I got into at least one college.”

Now that the relief was over, we continued opening other letters. He got rejected from Washington, UCLA, and NYU. He awhed when he didn’t get into schools but brushed it off since he didn’t really like them anyways. But he did get accepted into Santa Barbra which earned him one kiss.

Finally there was one letter left. Berkley. I hadn’t told him about the scholarship yet, but he knew how much I loved Berkley. He decided to save the best for last. He turned to me and said,” I just want you to know that despite what this letter says, I will always be by your side. Always.”

He kissed my forehead and we opened the letter. Slowly, we teared the letter open. This time, I made him read it. I couldn’t bear to read destiny’s letter.

“Dear Brad….Congratulations!!”

He turned to me and we hugged in happiness. It seems as though destiny was on my side today. He was happy and cheery, but I saw it in his eyes. Something in his eyes told me that something was stopping him from being happy. And then I knew it. Football. Brad loved Stanford’s football team and he wanted so badly to play for them. But he didn’t want to leave me either. I couldn’t make him pick between us, I just couldn’t. I held his hand and said to him,” Brad, I know that you want to go to Stanford. And if you want to go, that’s perfectly fine with me. I just want you to know that I’LL always be by your side. Football is your dream and you should always chase your dream”

He looked at me and he couldn’t deny it. He knew how much he wanted to go to Stanford. Then he paused and smiled. He finally spoke.
“When I was kid, football was everything to me. I wanted more than anything, to play football at Stanford. That was my whole life goal, until April 11, 2013. I asked this beautiful girl named Tracy Villegas to be my wonderful girlfriend. And ever since then, I haven’t been happier. She’s been there for me through it all. My sicknesses, bad times, good times, happiness, and even now. I realized one thing. Sometimes a dream isn’t always a thing. It can also be a person. And I realized that my dream was you. Football isn’t what made me happy anymore. It was knowing that I made you proud that made me happy. And as much as I love football, I would much rather be with you.”

I was speechless. I couldn’t believe my ears. Brad was willing to give up football for me. No one has ever sacrificed so much for me. With the exception of my parents, but really. And with every minute, I fell more in love with him. It was like a fantasy coming true. We kissed and hugged until the bell rang. We walked to class and I stopped him.

“About what you said earlier, are you sure?”

“Of course I am. Pick you up at seven tonight?”

I smiled and waved goodbye. Prom was quickly approaching and I was overly excited, but there were a few things I needed to take care of before I went to prom.