Insanity Speaks For the Broken Soul

The Psychologist's News

“Good morning Tracy, have a seat.”

I sat down in the red, velvet chair. It was a cozy chair that fit snuggly inside a cozy room. The room was very antique. It had old, vintage paintings that hung on the crispy, old fashioned wall paper. It had an old book case with leather spines peeking out from the side. Everything else was made of wood. The desks, rocking chairs, cabinets, everything. It was a warm place to be and the fireplace kept it that way. I loved being in there, even if I had to go through the long questionnaires. Mrs. Hansberry was my psychologist. She was mid-aged with deep brown hair. Her skin was like an apple beginning to age. She had glasses and couldn’t hear as well, but that didn’t bother her. She wasn’t too tall or beautiful but her heart sure was. She was kind and understanding. Something about her was just comforting.

“So. How have you been doing lately? Anymore ‘scenarios’?”

“Actually, I had one today.”

“Really? What happened this time?”

I went on and on for what seemed like endless hours, pouring my feelings into the conversation and describing every single detail that occurred. She sat and scribbled some notes on to her yellow note pad. She murmured a couple times and looked at me every now and then. Once I stopped talking, she starred at me. It was odd enough. She usually would say something. She looked me straight in the eye and said,” Your brain seems to have healed.”

“What….impossible!”

“No, it’s true. Of course, you still have a few scars that will always remain but as for the most part, your soul has really calmed down. As long as you don’t come into contact with anything horrifying anytime soon, you should be fine.”

“…does that mean I could leave?”

“Actually, yes. But, you will still be monitored for about 2 weeks before you can officially say you are ‘free’. I will tell the secretary to file your paperwork.”

I yelped with excitement, “Oh thank you, thank you!!!”

I was so happy, I felt tears come to my eyes. Finally, after two years, I can finally go back to my normal life. School, home, friends, family…family. I suddenly realized, even if I was released, where would I go? I still have no home, no family, nothing. My heart suddenly sank to the bottom of my stomach and shattered into a million shards of glass. I slowly fell onto my knees and started sobbing. Sobbing and sobbing as though I had collected to much emotion and the bottle couldn’t take the pressure anymore.

Mrs. Hansberry dropped to her knees and cradled me in her arms like a new born baby.

“What is wrong child?”

“I have nowhere to go Mrs. Hansberry. I don’t have a family, friends, a home, love, nothing.”

“Don’t worry, you actually will be adopted by a loving family.”

My face lit up. I felt the adrenaline run through my body. I rubbed the tears away and looked up. “Really, Mrs. Hansberry? Really?”

She laughed,” Yes of course! We wouldn’t leave you all by yourself! Now get up. Ivy’s waiting for you outside. You should go and rest now, you’re tired. Dinner will be soon okay?”

I hopped on my feet and headed towards the door. I opened it and peaked outside to see Ivy sitting right next to it with a big smile on her face. I ran to her as fast as possible while squeezing her really tight.

“Ivy! She said I can actually leave. And the best part is, I might get adopted!! Isn’t that great?!”

Ivy pulled away from me. At first, she gave me a really depressed look. My heart almost stopped until she started cracking up. She then hugged me and said, “Guess what? I can leave too!!”

We both couldn’t believe our ears! We were both so excited to finally leave. We were dancing and skipping around until we suddenly realized something. Leaving the asylum meant leaving each other. We looked at each other and instantly fell into each other’s’ arms. It was going to be a sad day. I decided to let her stay in my room for our last night together. She laid right next to me and we stayed up all night reminiscing about the old days and how we met, how much we’ve grown, and how hard things are going to be without each other. We laughed and cried ourselves till the next morning, when we got called for a visitor. It was way too early so who could it be?