Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Twelve

Kelli stared out the window at the rising sun, her hand still holding Gerard’s cold hand. He was still unconscious, even three days after he was attacked. The nurse kept speaking encouraging words to Kelli but her hopes were slowly falling. What if he never woke up? What if he died before he woke? All this because Saria had to run away.

Kelli felt a small twinge of guilt. She shouldn’t be thinking about her in that way. Hope – Saria’s double – had been great and it wasn’t entirely her fault. She wondered what was going on upstairs…

..

The night of the wedding found Zeke and Hope sharing a passionate kiss in the room where he was staying. Hope’s heart was racing as his hands travelled into her auburn hair, taking out the flowers and releasing it from the bond it was in. Next she knew, the corset dress was falling to the floor and a wave of passion swept over them.

When she woke up, she was wrapped tightly in Zeke’s arms. He was still asleep and she gazed up into his face, reflecting on the night before. It had been beautiful. It was the best night of her life and she was also pleased that she was able to marry him under her true name.

A timid knock on the door admitted an elderly servant male, bowing respectfully and placing two outfits down silently then going into the washroom to prepare baths. She settled back into his arms and closed her eyes blissfully. Five minutes later his eyes blinked open and he smiled at her.

“I could get used to this,” he said and nuzzled her neck.

She giggled and gestured at the outfits. “We should get dressed.” They bathed and Zeke helped her down the hall. “Your father said to meet in his study.”

And so it began. Three days of questions, three days of answers. The tale was finally given to the two sisters and the men they loved. All five of them thought of ways to tell the people but nothing seemed accurate enough.

Zeke and Hope wanted the people to know the full story but the king rejected it at once.

“I never told them about you,” he pointed out. “Their trust and faith in me will diminish. I cannot bear the thought of it.”

Hope nodded slowly. That was true. But what else could be done?

“We’ll just have to live life normally,” James said finally. There was silence. “Look, the people know that Hope and Saria were mixed up: it all came out at the wedding. If there is to be another meeting, we will be as honest as we can be without losing face.”

They agreed finally and Hope rubbed her eyes. She was very tired.

“Are you OK?” Zeke asked as they sat at the dining table.

Hope just shrugged, pushing her food around on her plate.

“I don’t have much of an appetite,” she admitted and sighed. She missed the anxious look Zeke shared with his father. “I think I’ll go to bed….”

When she got to the room she now shared with Zeke, she grinned. Kelli strode over to her and they embraced. It had been many days since Hope had seen her best friend.

“How is Gerard?” she asked as they sat in the chairs by the fire.

“Much better now,” Kelli replied with a smile. There were dark circles under her eyes and Hope had suspected Kelli hadn’t left Gerard until now. “He woke up finally and I helped him eat.” Her smile widened as she looked into the fire. “I was instructed to get some rest. I came up here hoping to find you before I went down to the quarters.”

“We’ve been in discussion,” Hope said and informed her on what had been decided.

Kelli nodded. “That sounds like the best course of action. I am rather tired so I’ll- Why are you so pale?” she asked suddenly.

“I don’t know,” Hope murmured. “But the last three days I’ve been feeling so weak.” She shot a furtive look at the door and lowered her voice. “Zeke doesn’t know but I’ve been sick in the early hours of the morning.”

To her astonishment, Kelli giggled. Slightly offended, Hope waited for Kelli’s laughter to go away.

“Oh, isn’t it obvious?” she breathed and Hope shook her head. “You might be pregnant!”

Hope stared. “B-But I thought you didn’t feel sick until weeks after….”

Kelli settled in her chair, drawing her knees up to her chest. “Zeke’s father was a warlock, as I’m sure you know by now.” Hope nodded; Zeke had told him during their counsel with the king and Saria and James. “The king has let me read books since I was young and it states in there that rapid pregnancy is a part of becoming a partner with a wizard – or descendent. No one knows why, it’s just what happens.”

Hope looked into the crackling fire. “Do you think I should tell Zeke?”

“Give it a couple of days,” she said after a brief silence.

Hope put a hand on her belly after Kelli left to rest. Could it be true? Could she really be pregnant? And what of this rapid pregnancy? Will it harm her baby? Or will it be like a normal pregnancy? Would the child have magical tendencies?

Her thoughts were interrupted by Zeke walking in, frowning in concern.

“Kelli told me you were here and not feeling well.”

“That’s what I said at dinner,” she reminded him as he shut the door with a little more force than was necessary.

For the first time in her life, Hope felt a jolt of fear.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’ve been ill the last two days?” he demanded.

“I understand your anger,” she said softly, looking at the rug. “I didn’t want to worry you; so much has been going on.”

“How do you think I feel now?” he snapped, sitting on the bed. Hope felt tears sting her eyes as thunder rumbled and lightning flashed outside of their window. “Hope, when we married we both promised not to keep any secrets from each other. Tell me next time, OK?”

She looked up, relieved to hear and see that he was not furious with her. His face was concerned and they both stood and embraced. He didn’t need to know now. It could wait a little longer. Besides, she wasn’t sure if she was pregnant or not. They climbed into bed with her mind racing with uneasy thoughts. What if he noticed? He was smart. He could connect the dots.

Everything will work out, she thought, cuddling close to him as rain lashed against the windows. I’m sure it will.
♠ ♠ ♠
We are coming to the end of the story. Unfortunately, the next chapter and the epilogue will be rather short. I will be putting them up today, though. I'm also starting a new story that will have my total attention until it is completed.