Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Thirteen

Hope’s suspicions were confirmed a week later. Zeke had been keeping a close eye on her and she was sure he was starting to question her symptoms. She saw him speaking in undertones to King Talon after dinners and, before turning in for the night, he would be reading a book that he refused to tell the title to her. And he hadn’t touched her since the night he had confronted her.

They had four weeks left in the palace before they were to return home. When she woke one morning, there was a note on Zeke’s pillow.

When the sun sets, I will wait for you at our spot.

She understood but still tried to find her husband. Kelli did not know where he was and King Talon either did not know or was not willing to tell her. So, she spent the day in her room, reading a fantasy story written by King Talon’s great-grandfather. Kelli came in after dinner with a gown she was to change into.

Throughout the week, she wore loose fitting dresses; she was starting to show the beginnings of pregnancy and she still couldn’t find a time to tell Zeke.

“He had this specially made,” Kelli said. Her voice was uneasy as she helped her into the dress. There was no corset. “Miss, you have to tell him soon.”

Hope could only nod. The day was coming to an end and she said good bye to Kelli, heading to the garden. She didn’t run into any of the servants on her way and her anxiety increased. Something was going on that she did not know about.

It was chilly and she was thankful for the long sleeves that had been weaved into the golden dress. As she descended the stone stairs, her hand moved automatically to her stomach. To her surprise (and slight disappointment) no one was there. She decided to wait longer, admiring the flowers and the fragrance they gave off.

Quiet footsteps announced his arrival and Hope looked over her shoulder. Zeke was not dressed in the kingly attire that was required. He was in the clothing he wore the day he left the kingdom. Before she could stop herself, silent tears slid down her face. Gently, he turned her to face him and his eyes traveled down to her right hand: It was still resting on her belly.

Still silent, he brushed her hand away carefully and put his own on it. She choked back sobs as he stared. For a very long time he was quiet. He was taking deep breaths and she waited for him to start yelling at her or accusing her again about keeping secrets.

Hope started to shake. She couldn’t stand the silence for much longer. If he didn’t say something soon, it would drive her mad.

Finally, he took a deep breath again and spoke.

“How long have you known?”

There was not anything accusatory in his voice. It was soft and gentle, eyes still focused on the slight bump.

“A little over a week,” she whispered. She searched his impassive face. “I- I’ve been trying to find a way to tell you but there hasn’t been an opportune moment.”

“I suspected,” he said, “for the last few days. King Talon was the first to notice and I admit that I was foolish to not realize it sooner. The servant girl, Kelli, was called into the throne room to be questioned. She admitted to knowing and told me about what she had read. King Talon confirmed the story. She has not been punished, of course. In fact, I’m glad she explained it to you.” He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. “I’m so sorry. If I had known sooner, we could have figured it out together. I can’t imagine how alone you felt.”

Hope could no longer hold it back. She sobbed into his shoulder. Everything he said was true. Even with Kelli’s company and forcing herself to eat at least a little at dinner times, she felt alone. Kelli gave her the book she had read but it didn’t help at all. She wanted someone to talk to, someone to share the burden that was suddenly thrust upon her. And yet, during it all, she was falling in love with the life growing inside of her.

Several times she would sit and whisper to it. It was absurd but she felt obligated to explain it all to her child.

Zeke stepped back and kissed her gently, wiping her tears away with his thumb.

“I didn’t know what to do,” she sobbed as he pressed his forehead to hers. His hand was rubbing her back. “I couldn’t muster up the courage to tell you and I was afraid of what you would say if you found out from someone else.”

“Shh,” he whispered, kissing her gently again. “It’s OK. I’m not mad and I’m not disappointed. However, now that we are all on the same page, we can figure this out together.”

Hope gave him a watery grin and hugged him tightly.

..

The time came for them to leave and Hope wasn’t looking forward to saying good bye to Kelli. Gerard was released from the nurse’s care and now had to be helped around the palace. He confided to Hope and Saria that it was a dreary business and that he wanted to escape and shoot something. They had all laughed about it and, when they were alone, Hope asked him something that had been growing on her mind.

“How do you feel about Kelli?” she asked.

They were sitting in the sitting room, waiting for everyone to come. Zeke was packing the rest of her dresses (many had to be altered to accommodate her ever rising belly) and putting it in the coach. Gerard’s face turned slightly pink as he cleared his throat.

“She’s a very faithful servant,” he said finally and Hope grinned at him. “Oh, shut up.”

She laughed. “She is a fine woman,” she whispered, holding her brother’s hand. “You both are very lucky.”

He chuckled, embarrassed.

“This has all been a rather interesting tale, don’t you think?” he asked as Zeke, King Talon, Saria, and James entered the room.

“Very interesting,” Zeke agreed.

“Who would have thought I had two sisters?” Gerard laughed and they joined in. Gerard hugged Hope tightly. “It has been such a pleasure. Be sure to let us know when the baby is born.”

“You’ll be the first to know,” Zeke said, shaking Gerard’s hand.

They waved good bye as they walked toward the coach when a small figure ran up to Hope, giving her a tight hug. Hope hugged Kelli back, feeling tears jump to her eyes with the knowledge of leaving her behind.

“Thank you for all you’ve done,” she whispered and Kelli squeezed her.

“Keep in touch.”

Zeke helped Hope into the carriage and waved good bye again. As the carriage jerked forward and Zeke pulled her close, Hope smiled, ready for a new life.