Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Four

Hope had trouble sleeping that night. She just kept seeing Zeke’s crystal blue eyes and short brown hair framing his thin pale face. He had matured into a wonderfully handsome young man. Her dreams were troubled with visions of General Erick hunting her down and being overrun by soldiers.

The sun hadn’t even risen above the mountains when there was a knock on her door. She rubbed her eyes and sat up. It took her brain a moment to register that someone wanted in. She stumbled to the door and opened it a crack. A young woman in a servant’s outfit was waiting with a dress draped over her arms.

“Hello, Miss,” the girl breathed. “I’ve come to draw your bath.”

“It’s still dark out,” Hope said and made to shut the door.

“Saria, I have news,” she whispered and Hope hesitated. She was sure that a servant didn’t address a resident this way. She racked her brain but Saria never mentioned a servant girl she was close with. “Please may I come in?”

Hope stepped out of the way and let the girl in. She put the sky blue dress on the bed and bustled around the room, lighting a fire and carrying a large bucket of water into the washroom. Hope was suspicious but didn’t interrupt; the girl would speak when she was ready.

Finally, while the water was heating, the girl stood in front of Hope. There was an awkward silence before the girl burst out, “What are you thinking!?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Marrying King Zeke!” she continued. “What about James? I thought the two of you were going to elope! You were supposed to run away two nights ago! Remember? I put my life on the line for you, Saria! How could you do this? Do you know how harshly I was punished for being out past curfew!? I-”

“Slow down,” Hope interrupted, finally understanding. The girl stopped, tears streaming down her young face. Hope led her to the two chairs in front of the fire, making sure the door was shut and locked. “What is your name?”

“But-”

“Just answer the one question and I’ll explain everything.”

The girl hesitated. “My name is Kelli.”

“Kelli, I am not Saria,” Hope whispered and her jaw dropped. Hope then told her of the encounter with Saria and James and their plan. “You see, back where I lived, I had no life. Saria had no life here. It seemed like the logical solution.”

But Kelli looked terrified.

“Do you have any clue what they will do to you if they find out?” she breathed. “Oh, Hope, you can get into so much trouble!”

Hope took one of Kelli’s hands. “Saria trusted me. Yes, we were both strangers but I trust her and James. Will you keep our secrets? Please?”

Kelli looked uncertain. “Saria and James are together?”

“Yes.”

Kelli nodded. “I will. I’ll stay and be your personal servant, make things easier.”

“Saria didn’t mention you. Why would that be?”

“Because she didn’t want anyone else to get hurt,” Kelli sighed, helping Hope out of her dress and into the bath. “Saria made the mistake of telling General Erick of telling him about James. It didn’t go over well. There was a lot of yelling and James was thrown out of the guard. Erick got drunk that night and took it out on Saria…”

“Wow,” Hope breathed, playing with the soap bubbles in the bath water. “She told me he was bad but she didn’t tell me he was that bad.”

“He is a horrible man,” Kelli confirmed in a dark voice. “His so-called war stories are all empty words.”

“So why does King Talon keep him?”

“The King is unaware of all that Erick does. He is blinded by the loss of his wife and now his son has been arrested.”

“For what?” Hope asked, stunned.

“For helping slaves escape,” Kelli answered.

Hope caught the small bit of pride in her voice. “Do you know the King’s son?”

Kelli tried to shrug casually but she ended up knocking over the bottle of soap. Hope grinned while Kelli struggled to clean up after herself. Kelli’s flaming cheeks gave her away completely and Hope was content to find she wasn’t the only one struggling with love.

“Anyway, General Erick wants you to wear this for Prince Zeke,” Kelli said, holding up the dress to hide her still red face. “Says you did a poor job of winning him over last night.”

Hope frowned but let Kelli help her into the dress. The corset had to be tied incredibly tight.

“Is this really necessary?” Hope asked, her voice unnaturally high.

The dress was form fitting and also revealed a little too much for her liking up top. She glanced around for a shawl or any kind of wrap but didn’t succeed.

Kelli smiled apologetically. “He’ll get more creative, trust me.”

“Why does the general want his niece to marry Zeke anyway?” she mumbled, slipping on the blue flats.

“He craves power,” Kelli answered, helping her tie up her hair in an elegant fashion. “You don’t eat much, do you?”

Hope shook her head no and observed herself in the mirror. With the dress, makeup, and hair style she had to admit she looked irresistible. But she still didn’t like how the general was forcing the marriage onto Saria. No wonder she had fled that night.

“Well, here goes nothing…”

“Good luck,” Kelli whispered as they walked down the halls.

When they got to the foyer, Zeke and Erick were arguing. They both stopped, though, when Hope walked in.

“You look radiant,” Erick gushed, pulling her into a hug that was much too aggressive. “Zeke, you are a lucky man.”

Zeke glared at Erick. “What did I tell you about that?”

Erick cleared his throat. “Forgive me, Your Highness. Saria, if you will join myself and King Zeke we have arrangements to make for the ball tonight.”

Hope nodded and followed. She felt Zeke’s eyes on her but she did her best to avoid his gaze. If Kelli was right, she had to be extra careful while playing the part. She was seeing Erick in a completely different light after everything Kelli had told her.

“So, this is the ballroom,” Erick announced as they walked into a large room where a small orchestra was starting to assemble. “In here is where we will announce your engagement and the union of our two wonderful kingdoms!”

“Whose kingdom?” a cold voice echoed from the entrance and Erick froze before slowly turning.

He laughed nervously. “Your kingdom, of course,” he breathed, bowing deeply to the King.

King Talon was an impressive figure. He was tall with cropped black hair and scrutinizing silver eyes. He surveyed the company before extending a hand to Zeke.

“We have not had the pleasure of meeting yet,” he said and Zeke shook his hand warmly. “Your father spoke highly of you in our many hours of negotiation. I am pleased to see you were able to succeed where he did not.”

“I merely built on what was given to me,” Zeke returned.

Then the King turned to Hope who gave him what she hoped was a confident smile.

“Saria. You are looking well.”

“As are you, Your Highness,” she replied with a low curtsy.

“Perhaps you and Zeke should go and look over the plans,” the King said slowly, his eyes fixed on a fearful Erick. “I have business to discuss with my general.”

Hope was more than happy to leave. When the door slammed behind them, she caught the voice of Erick muttering an apology. Zeke offered his arm and they walked to the dining room where samples of the feast would be available to them for suggestions.

“You do look beautiful, Maria,” Zeke said softly.

“Thank you. You still are incorrect, though.”

“Perhaps you could save me the embarrassment and tell me your true name.”

“That would take the fun out of it, though.”

“I am going to wed you in a week. Surely I should know the name of my wife.”

“I have confidence in your ability to figure it out by then.”

Hope was genuinely smiling for the first time in a long time as they kept up their playful banter. It reminded her of the times in their childhood when they would joke together. But those happy memories were a thing of the past and she tried to push onward. One thing was certain: Her future was looking brighter.