Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Five

After the tasting, Zeke spent the afternoon in the study. He wasn’t looking forward to the ball that night and the King had requested a meeting with him before he was to get ready. King Talon always intimidated Zeke. There was an air about him that demanded respect and silence.

Zeke was immersed in an old Bible when the door opened. King Talon walked in and closed the door softly. Suddenly, his normal façade dropped and he looked sad. Zeke was uncomfortable as Talon motioned for Zeke to join him by the fireside with a drink.

“My daughter is here,” he rasped and Zeke nearly dropped his glass.

“Come again?”

“My daughter. She’s here. In the castle.”

“You do not have a daughter,” Zeke said slowly. “You have a son but he is in prison.”

To his surprise, Talon let out a small laugh. “You think I am insane.” Zeke smiled apologetically. “No, do not worry. Even though your father and I could never reach an agreement, I respected him greatly and we formed an alliance of friendship. It is a friendship I extend to you with this piece of information: My daughter is among us and is in disguise.”

“I’m afraid I don’t follow…”

Talon leaned forward, an eager expression on his face. Zeke was still slightly uncomfortable at being given such a high honor with a deep secret but his curiosity kept him rapt with attention.

“Saria ran away a few nights ago,” he breathed. “I watched from my window. I do not question her reasons. With an uncle like hers, it would be insanity not to leave.”

“Then why do you keep him on?” Zeke asked, frowning.

The King leaned back. “You do not seem shocked that I have revealed your betrothed is not who you have been told.”

“I’ve known for a while,” Zeke admitted, rubbing his neck.

“Erick cannot know,” the King whispered. “And this I must ask of you: keep her secret. It is my daughter’s life at stake.”

“Please, sir, explain more. No one knows you have a daughter!”

“Her name is Hope,” the King said, a shadow of a smile on his face. “Her mother was a commoner, driven out by my jealous wife. My ex-wife was barren the first few years of our marriage. She gave me her servant in the hopes she would bear me a son. Instead it was a daughter. Disgusted, she sent the girl away. I never thought I’d see her again. Then, in a way that can only be orchestrated by God, she shows up in my ballroom!”

Zeke really did drop his glass this time. “Hope,” he repeated and it hit him.

Zeke was only 7 yet he was already in training. His father never believed a man was too young to be trained in the ways of being a King. But it was too much for Zeke and, not for the first time, he had run away from his tutors. He was singing from a branch when he heard whispering. Dropping silently to the ground, he followed it to a girl kneeling beside the stream that ran through the kingdom. She was talking to the water as if it could understand her. Judging by her clothing, she was one of the orphans taken on by Zeke’s mother.

“But I’ve never known them,” she was saying, putting her hand in the water sadly. “They died years ago. Lady Isabella is kind. She is a beautiful lady.”

“Who are you?” he asked and she screamed, bolting up and backing into a tree. Her silver eyes were wide with fear. “Don’t worry,” he added hastily. “I won’t hurt you. My name is Zeke.”

“I know,” she whimpered. “They’ll beat me for talking to you.”

He shook his head, compelled with the desire to keep her safe from harm. “I won’t let them.”

Their friendship blossomed slowly. Each day they met by the stream and he coerced her name from her and her story. Hope was a beautiful young girl: her auburn hair hung straight and she had an innocence and air of dignity that wasn’t common in the orphans around the palace. A childish crush began to bud in Zeke. Their last meeting happened the day before his mother died.

It was evening and he had slipped a message for her to meet him. She complied, looking slightly nervous. Shyly, he thrust out his gift: A simple daisy he had picked from the gardens.

“Th-Thank you,” she stammered but didn’t take it.

“My mother is ill,” he said slowly, staring at the water. It reflected the dying sun. “Father doesn’t think she has much longer.” He looked at her. “I love you, Hope,” he blurted and she blushed a deep scarlet. “When I become King, I’ll marry you and make sure you never get beaten again.”

“A King cannot marry an orphan,” she said in a small voice. “It is forbidden.”

“Then I’ll change the law,” he said with a shrug and tucked the flower behind her ear.


“How could I have forgotten?” he breathed, running a hand through his hair.

Talon was watching him with wide eyes. Zeke’s tale was at an end.

“Wait a minute… Hope is your daughter! Why, then, was she sent to the palace as an orphan? Didn’t you try to find her?”

“Of course I did,” Talon said, looking hurt. “But I could never find her. Women are cunning… It looks like you are keeping your promise, though,” he added after a moment of silence. “You are to wed her soon.”

Zeke shook his head, staring into the fire. “It’s not as simple as that, sir. She is impersonating someone of high authority. She can be killed for this.”

“The time will come when your questions are answered,” Talon said suddenly and Zeke looked at him. “You will understand everything. But one thing must be addressed: You must not tell anyone about Hope. Tell her, if you want, that you remember her but keep my secret close to your chest. She must not know I am her father. Yet.”

“Why have you told me all this?” Zeke asked as Talon got up to leave.

Talon smiled down at him. “You are much like your father, King Zeke. You are also like your mother. I have kept an eye on you since Isabella died. I knew you would be taking up the throne soon and wanted to make sure you were a worthy ally. When I learned that you were going to reinstate your mother’s work of bringing in the orphans, I knew you could be trusted. If my trust falters, though, severe repercussions will follow.”

“You have my word,” Zeke nodded, eager to speak with Hope.

“I will see you at the ball.”

.

Zeke waited anxiously in the garden. He had sent word by Kelli, Hope’s servant, to meet him here. It was an hour before the ball and he wanted to make sure he had plenty of time to speak with her. Soft footsteps announced her arrival and he spun around, pulling her into a hug without offering an explanation.

“King Zeke?” she asked, not hugging him back.

“I am so, so sorry,” he whispered. Her confusion was radiating off of her. “I should never have forgotten, Hope.”

She pushed herself out of his arms. She greatly resembled the 7 year old child of the past: her eyes were fearful and she was backed into a rose bush. She seemed lost for words but he was ecstatic. Finally the secret was revealed and he could get to know her all over again.

“Oh, God,” she breathed. “I have to run.”

“No don’t go!” he yelled and grabbed her hand before she could slip away. “Don’t worry. I won’t give away your secret.”

“How did you know?”

“Every old memory can resurface,” he breathed. “In all that happened after my mother died, I forgot those days we spent by the stream. You were my best friend. I never should have forgotten.”

She was staring at the stone walkway. “You had a lot on your plate,” she murmured. “A poor orphan girl was the least of your worries.”

Zeke quickly stopped himself from telling her about her true parents. Instead he said, “I will make good on my promise to you, Hope. But first we must stay focused on the present. How did you come across Saria?”

“I met her as she was fleeing,” she answered and he nodded slowly as she recounted her tale. “It seemed to make sense.”

“I am glad that I know who you really are,” he said genuinely. “I hope you believe me.”

“We are late for our ball,” she said but still looked doubtful. “That is, if you still want to go through with this, now that you know the truth. We both know I am breaking a law.”

“A promise is stronger than a law,” he countered and took her in his arms again. This time, she slowly hugged him back. “I am so glad,” he repeated, holding her tighter. “Are you ready?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” she returned, stepping away and taking his offered arm.

As they walked to the ballroom, though, Zeke began to wonder why he had forgotten such a valuable friend. He was determined to find out the answer, though, and decided his first stop was with King Talon.
♠ ♠ ♠
It will all make sense within the next few chapters. Stick with me. :)