Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Six

The ballroom was packed full of people and Hope felt their eyes glued to her as she walked by them. They whispered behind hands and some waved enthusiastically at her. Erick and King Talon were already seated at the table but Erick didn’t look very happy. He kept shooting angry looks at the King when he wasn’t looking and they didn’t speak much. King Talon embraced her briefly and shook hands with Zeke before sitting. The orchestra began playing and the crowd started dancing.

“So, Saria,” King Talon said and she leaned closer to hear him over the music. “That’s a lovely dress.”

“Oh,” she said, surprised. “Thank you.” It was a dove grey silk with blue embroidery. Kelli had it brought up; apparently it had belonged to Saria’s mother. “It was my mother’s. Kelli found it for me.”

King Talon had a strange look on his face but cleared his throat.

“Why don’t you go dance?” he suggested.

“I’m not a very good dancer,” she blurted out.

Erick frowned at her. “You’re being modest. You are a wonderful dancer! Now go,” he added, his voice low and threatening.

Hope stiffened but stood obligingly. Zeke led the way to the middle where the crowd cleared some room for them. Hope was getting nervous. Erick’s eyes were watching their every move. She knew that, once she attempted to dance, he would know something was going on.

“Just follow my lead,” Zeke said reassuringly. He placed his hand on her back and took her right hand in his left. “You’ll get the general idea soon.”

“Sure,” she breathed.

But it turned out that Zeke wasn’t lying. It came naturally to her and soon she was lost in the lively music, enjoying dancing with Zeke. For that one moment, all her worries were cast aside. The orchestra took up a slow tune and he stopped dancing.

“Would you like to get some air?” he asked, gesturing with his head at the open balcony.

Some of the guests were walking in and out of the windows and she nodded, yearning to get away from Erick’s gaze. Again the crowd parted so they could walk through and Hope took a deep breath of the evening air. There was a hint of honeysuckle in the air and they stood by the railing. Zeke’s hands were behind his back and Hope folded hers in front of her. The balcony was large yet they always seemed to be surrounded by people.

“Hello,” a deep voice said and they both turned.

A handsome young man stood behind them. His brown hair was tied back in a ponytail and his eyes were green. He had an air about him that immediately made Hope edgy. She inched a little closer to Zeke.

“Good evening,” Zeke said politely, extending his hand. “And your name is?”

“I am Seth,” he said, shaking Zeke’s hand. “I am surprised Saria did not tell you about me.”

Hope blinked.

“Why would she?”

Seth’s lips curled into an unpleasant smile. “I was promised to Saria,” he stated and Zeke looked surprised. “That is, until you came along.” Hope tried not to look shocked. Why hadn’t Saria mentioned this, either? “Saria, would you join me for a dance?”

“Sorry,” she declined. “I believe the King wanted to speak with me.”

Seth made a sour face then left, glancing over his shoulder before returning to the party.

“Did you know about that?” Zeke asked quietly and she shook her head, frowning after him.

“There are a lot of things I don’t know about,” she said slowly. “I’m starting to think there is more to Saria’s life than she told me.”

A thick silence fell between them. Hope tried to think of a reason why Saria left out important details such as this. Perhaps they didn’t have the time…

“You look beautiful tonight, Hope,” Zeke murmured suddenly and she looked at him.

He had been watching her. She tried to thank him but her mouth had gone dry. They were close, closer than before. She was lost in his eyes and could feel his breath on her face. The world melted around her as her eyes closed.

Before their lips touched, though, there was a crash inside of the castle and they jumped away. She rushed to the balcony doors and peered inside.

“Oh my,” she breathed, a hand over her mouth.

Erick and Seth were fighting on the floor. King Talon was pushing his way through the onlookers, trying to break up the fight and Zeke rushed to help.

“You promised!” Seth was yelling as King Talon hauled him to his feet.

Zeke was having trouble restraining Erick who bellowed, “You’re nothing but a womanizer!”

Seth struggled even more and he clawed at the air, trying to get to Erick. “Liar!”

“I think you should leave,” Kelli said, materializing at Hope’s elbow. “It might get ugly.”

Before she could move, however, Erick had drawn a knife from his belt and threw it. Hope gasped as Seth ducked. Unfortunately, she had been standing right behind Seth. The knife hit her leg and her mouth opened in shock. Everyone stopped moving, shocked as well, and screams filled the room. It took a moment before she realized that the screams were coming from her mouth. She fell to the floor, clutching her leg.

Talon threw Seth to the side and caught Hope and lifted her gently. Erick fled the room and a butler ran to open the door for the King as he carried her out. Hope’s screams had subsided and now she was simply crying. Blood was pouring down her leg and dripped onto the ivory floor.

“What in the world happened?” she heard a female’s voice say.

Hope’s eyes were shut tight in pain and felt herself being placed on a hard slab of wood. The female gasped and Hope assumed she saw the knife.

“This is going to hurt, dear,” the woman whispered and a warm hand took Hope’s cold one. “Your Highness, please bring some light over. King Zeke, if you’ll just stay there. OK, Saria. Are you ready?”

Hope didn’t answer. Her body was shaking with suppressed screams. The warm hand, who Hope assumed belonged to Zeke, tightened and light flickered in front of her eye lids. Then, without warning, the knife was pulled out of her leg and the screams ripped from her throat. Someone was stroking her hair and the woman was saying calming things into her ear. A warm compress was being placed over the wound along with slight pressure.

“Please leave the room,” the woman said to the two men. “I need to dress this wound.”

“We’ll be right outside the room,” Zeke whispered and kissed Hope’s forehead before leaving with the King.

Hope’s eyes opened but the room was dark and blurry. She was panting as someone pulled the dress up over her thigh and warm water trickled down it.

“Who are you?” she rasped as the woman’s face came into focus.

“My name is Felicia,” the woman replied. “I am the nurse here. What happened?” Hope told her about the fight and she made an angry noise like a cat. “I never liked either of those men. The General will pay most dearly for his actions. People may think he is a cold man, but the King does care for all of his people.”

She finished dressing Hope’s wound and helped her sit up. Hope tried to put weight on her foot but her leg gave out. Felicia caught her before she fell and called for the men to come back in. Zeke looked worried and Talon looked furious.

“Zeke, please take her to her room,” he said. “I need to have a word with Erick.”

“Can you walk?” he asked and Hope shook her head no. A headache was beginning to form behind her right eye. “OK, here.” He lifted her and she clung to his neck. “We’re almost there. I’ll have Kelli come and help you wash up.”

Hope couldn’t find the strength to say anything. Her throat was raw and her eyes heavy. He didn’t say anything until they reached her room. He pushed the door open and put her gently on the bed.

“I’m so sorry, Hope,” he whispered, brushing her bangs from her face.

“It wasn’t your fault,” she mumbled.

“Hope!” Kelli yelped, running up.

“Wh- How does she know?” he asked, looking frantic.

“Long story,” Hope sighed and looked at Kelli. “Can you help me?”

“Of course, of course.”

She rushed out to start a bath and Zeke sighed. He caressed her cheek and, without warning, kissed her softly on the lips.

“I should go check and see how King Talon is doing,” he whispered. “I will see you tomorrow.”

He left without waiting for a response and Hope groaned quietly. That wasn’t exactly how she imagined her first kiss. Kelli smiled sympathetically at her and helped her get undressed and bathe. She sat by her bed until Hope drifted into an uneasy sleep.