Status: Live

Holding Hands Won't Be Enough

Chapter 6: Ketchup

Two days later and she felt like no one had so much had spoken a word to her other than Bam. Seth had made himself very scarce and the guys didn’t know what to do. It was just before sun down and she were bringing in the washing from outside, she didn’t think anyone was home so almost had a heart attack when Ville appeared in the kitchen. “Jesus, you scared me to fucking death, Ville.” She gasped.

“Why didn’t you tell Seth about me?”

“Because you didn’t deserve to be remembered.” She snarled.

“But we loved each other.”

“I don’t want to talk about this.”

“Then how about we talk about how much of bitch you’re being?” he snapped.

“How about we talk about your dirty fucking ‘el diablo’ facial hair?” she retorted bitterly. Ville cackled, he certainly wasn't expecting her to say that. Her eyes glazed over and rendered her almost sightless from the setting sunlight spilling in through the blinds. Ville smiled. “What?”

“I didn’t think I ever could but apparently I forgot how beautiful you are.” He spoke softly in Suomi. She didn’t think it would but apparently her heart could still melt at his words.

“Don’t.” she pleaded, also in Finnish. He moved closer to her and spoke quietly, as if it were a secret only for them to hear.

“I am so sorry for what I did.” He said softly, cupping her head with his hand. She firmly held his wrist and moved his hand away.

“Stop. Now.”

“I’ve missed you so much.” He hand gently rubbed down her arm and rested on her wrist. She pulled it away and barged past him, he grabbed her wrist again to try and stop her from leaving so hastily.

“Stop fucking touching me!” she said emotionally, throwing his hand back at him.

“For fuck’s sake, Milly! We need to clear the air and move past this, I know it’s driving us both insane. Something never resolved, never heals!” he expelled. She was teeming with emotions; she didn’t even know where to start. She knew it wasn’t the best idea, but she succumbed to him as she always reckoned she would.

“How?”

“How we always did.”

“No.”

“Matilda.” He said sternly.

“Jesus Christ, Ville. You’ve been sober for so long.” She questioned angrily.

“Darling, at first it was for my health, now it’s personal gratification that I don’t have to drink to have a good time or solve my problems. You are every exception to this rule. I know you may want to completely erase the fact that you ever knew of nor encountered me but you can’t and as such, you have to do this. Granted, I haven’t put myself into a situation where I’ve been a part of it since I got sober, but you too were part of that pact and it still, to this day, it has never been broken by any of us – in all this time.”

--------


It made them cry, reminisce, tell the truth; which is exactly why it was chosen for the twenty-one questions anyone was entitled to instigate during a fight when they were teenagers. No one was allowed to decline and all twenty-one questions had to be asked and answered. Every minute that question wasn’t answered, likewise with every unsatisfactory answer that was given and every addendum to a question was met with a shot of tequila. They were an hour and a half but only five questions in; both of them being very inquisitive were adding-on to every question to find out more. It started with her asking Ville about the woman cheated on her with and if he loved her. The answer didn’t please you; he had maintained a rocky and horrid relationship with her for a long time – fueled by the hatred of himself for losing her and acting as an everyday penance and reminder of what he lost. Ville asked if she still loved him when she left; where she went when after she did; when and where she met the man who fathered Oscar; how she met Seth and if she was happy with him; he had just asked if she wanted to marry Seth as much as she had wanted to marry him. A couple of tears tumbled down her cheek to her lap – they had both taken to leaning their backs against the kitchen wall, legs extended out in front of them, nursing their shot glasses in clammy hands. “I don’t know.”

“I fucking loved you. It is my biggest regret, hurting you.” Ville sobbed, both being hardened drinkers in their heyday, tequila was their kryptonite.

“I loved you too.”

“Do you?” he asked, inhaling sharply and regaining some of his composure.

“Do I what?”

“Want to marry him as much as you did me?”

“N-“

“Mummy..” Oscar’s voice squeaked from out of sight. She could have showered him in all the cakes and sweets in the world for interrupting.

“Yes, darling?” she said, standing, albeit it wobbly, to look for him.

“It’s late!” he giggled naughtily, “Why aren’t you sleeping?” he cooed.

“Well, Mummy and Ville were having a good old talk and we didn’t realise the time. Come on,” she replied walking towards him, “We’ll all go to bed now.”

“No!” he laughed, teetering off at great speed out of the room.

“Dammit!” she cursed, running about after him would be a lot easier if she had a lot less alcohol in her stomach. She bolted out the room after him, hearing Ville follow after her. “Oscar enough now, it’s very late.” She sternly ordered, marching after him. She saw him hightail it back into the kitchen after doing a lap of downstairs, though he thought it hilarious to hide under the kitchen table. Motioning to Ville to go one side, whilst she took the other.

“Come out, come out, wherever you are…” Ville sang, the both of them kneeling and peering under the table. Ville caught her gaze smiled as you sang in tune with her, causing her heart to flutter. Quickly reassessing the situation and realising how sickly drunk she felt, she decided it was time to take immediate Mum action.

“Oscar, come out right this second or you are in big trouble.” she said crossly.

“No!” he laughed, turning in order to run away from both her and Ville. In both lunging toward him to try to catch the little beggar, Ville’s head collided with your nose and you saw stars.

--------


“Tilt your head back.” He ordered.

“No, you’re not supposed to ingest blood. Dammit, ow!” Oscar started whimpering and crying as he looked up at his mother bleeding.

“Mummy…” he said holding her dangling foot as she sat on the table, her head bent over, dripping into a towel, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault, Pookie.” He started crying more and it was making her awfully flustered. “Shh, Osi. I need quiet because I’m hurt, okay?” Ville crouched down in front of him and poked him in his little belly.

“Don’t you think Mum looks like a tough warrior with all that blood on her face? Huh, hunaja? She’s super tough and strong, that’s why she’s not crying, hey.. Come on.” He scooped him up and continued talking to him as she headed to the bathroom to wash her face. When she came back she couldn’t see nor hear them.

“Oscar?” she called out, “Ville?”

“Rarrgh!” they both growled, scaring her by jumping out from behind the wall, faces covered in red. She laughed, but played along.

“Oh my gosh! You’re bleeding! How did this happen? You’re both so big and strong!”

“Like you!” Oscar cackled.

“What the hell is going on down here?!” Seth questioned bitterly from behind them, obviously having been woken up by the commotion. Ville giggled, noting that Seth was looking at Oscar and himself covered in ketchup and Milly smattered with actual blood. "What are you doing covered in fucking sauce?"

“Ville and I are hanging out and Oscar decided to wake up and join us.” She laughed, scooping up her son. Avoiding the sauce question.

“Mummy was bleeding!”

“Yes, thank you Oscar.” She frowned.

“Bleeding?”

“Ville head butted me.” She laughed, in turn making Ville snigger.

“What?" he squinted, "You’re drunk. Both of you.” He said diligently, obviously questioning Ville’s sobriety. “What’s going on? Some of us have to get up in the morning and work, you know. Some of us have a child to be an example to...”

“Oh do shut up Seth. When did you become such a bore? I’m an adult, I can get drunk and be head butted in front of my son any time I damn well please.” She knew full well it wasn’t because she was drunk, it was because she was drunk with Ville that he had a sour taste in his mouth. He was taken aback by her comment, but was still visibly annoyed. “We’ll quiet down, I’m sorry we woke you.”

“Sure.” He marched away without another word, she giggled and blew a raspberry into Oscar’s neck causing him to cackle loudly.

“Button it monster boy, Seth is angry.”

“Why?” he cooed.

“Because he’s a jealous old bean, that’s why.” She placed him down on the floor and wiped his face with a cloth, “Go put Biker Mice on and I’ll get you some milk, okay hun?” he nodded eagerly and teetered off.

“Are you okay?” Ville asked, placing a hand on her back. She nodded and smiled. Her smile melted his heart every single time.

“I wanted to marry you more, Ville.” He smirked, coyly.

“Well, isn’t that something.”