Status: Live

Holding Hands Won't Be Enough

Chapter 60: Seating Plan

“Jussi, stop looking at me like that.” she said bashfully as she stepped out of the car. He shook his head.

“Can’t. Won’t.” she rolled her eyes and took the hand he offered to guide her to the curb. “Mum looks like a babe, Oscar.” he said, looking up to his shoulders to the child.

“Babe!” he giggled.

“Oh god.” she groaned, “I knew it was a risk letting him spend prolonged amounts of time around you.” he winked before hitching Oscar down to the space between them, holding one of his hands. She took the other one and looked up at the building as they entered it.

“May I help you?” a friendly concierge asked.

“Yeah, we’re here for an engagement thing.” Jussi said with a shrug. The woman looked down at her book, sliding her finger across the pages.

“Nygren, Valo?” he nodded, “You’re running a little late, up the stairs, straight down the hall to the large doors at the end. Ballroom.” she smiled. As they neared the top of the stairs they were bombarded with photographers; in one swift movement she swept Oscar up into her arms and hid his face to her body. Security was there to inhibit them passing the halfway mark of the hall, they let them pass without hesitation and held the photographers back. Milly had no doubt Jonna had tipped them off herself to be there to make her event seem all the more glamourous. She had imagined all day that she would get here and feel sad, but she just felt annoyed.

“Jussi.” she asked, stopping them in their tracks ten meters from the door.

“Yeah babe?”

“Why am I here?”

“Because you’re a fucking saint, Milly. I wouldn’t be here.”

“You’re the one who made me come!” she exclaimed.

“And I know you would do the same thing for me.” he said taking a hold of one of her hands, “Babe, I know you guys never had closure.. But, this is it. You were telling me not five hours ago how you were happy for having spoken to Anita, that she really put things in perspective, that you are going to do things for you now. So fucking do it!” he laughed, she knew he was right, “You looking banging, you’re kid is the cutest god damned thing ever and you’re with me… what more could you ask for?”

“For you to maybe stop cussing in front of my cute kid?” she laughed.

“Absolutely.” he chuckled.

————

He couldn’t help but let his eyes drift to the door every half minute or so, she was an hour late and he had convinced himself that she just wasn’t coming. Not that that’s what he didn’t deserve, but he had his mother here under false pretences and she wasn’t happy about it - refusing even to sit at her assigned place at their table. Everyone was currently listening to Jonna’s father drone on as he gave his speech, Jonna holding Ville’s right hand with both of hers as a very visual indication to anyone that glanced at them that they were a perfect picture of unity. He looked down and span his favourite ring around his left forefinger with his thumb, recollecting the argument he and Jonna had had hours before about him not wearing any ring but the engagement ring she had bought him on that hand - he outrightly refused.

“I’m so happy that my darling Jonna has found her soul mate and so proud of the woma-“ the ballroom doors loudly creaked open, Ville head snapped up quickly to look, his head craning, much to the chagrin of Jonna. Jussi waltzed through shrugging apologetically at the noise, followed closely by Milly toting Oscar on her hip. Ville was thankful all eyes would have most definitely been on her as he could feel his mouth fall ajar at the sight of her. He felt Jonna’s hands tighten with agitation around his hand, so instead turned his attention to Anita and smiled as Jonna’s father resumed speaking. One of Jonna’s friends, in charge of seating everyone, hopped up and scurried over to them, her heels clicking on the marble floor beneath her.

“Little late guys.” she winced quietly, “Now, you are both seated on table four, and Oscar is at table one.” she explained, looking at her layout. Milly protectively turned Oscar away from her and grimaced. Ville watched, not being able to hear anything, in confusion. He saw Milly shaking her head unfavourably and got up when he saw Jonna’s friend reach out for his son and Jussi step between them.

“Look, he's staying with me, okay?”

“He’ll be with his dad and step mum, he’ll be fine I promise.” Liza smiled forcefully, as now people were turning to look.

“She is not his step mum.” Milly remarked bitterly.

“What’s going on?” Ville asked as he approached the whispering sparring match, that was beginning to draw attention from the neighbouring tables.

“Oscar is seated at your table,” she began, “And they aren’t.” she added snottily. He took the seating plan off of her and scrunched it in his hand.

“I may not have had any say in this madness, but I draw the line here.” he said dryly, handing the balled up seating plan back to her, “Keep him with you.” he nodded at Milly, who forced an appreciative smile, before he turned away and quietly walked back to his table. Liza turned on her heel and followed him, leaving them standing there not knowing where table four even was.

“Yoohoo!” Milly followed the voice to see Mige holding up two place signs and dancing them in the air. Looking at the other tables as she neared there’s it was clear this was an ‘All-about-Jonna’ affair. Ville’s parents and Jesse were at table one, his grandparents on table two, table three was entirely bridesmaids, whilst his friends were all placed on one large table, number four, as if to keep them away from possibly interacting with any of Jonna’s guests. Jussi and her were sat opposite each other, he between Linde and an empty seat and she between Jyrki and Mige. Her stomach flipped as she neared the table, she hadn’t seen any of them since she was in her own house. She sat and got Oscar comfortable on her lap, producing a small tub of Playdough from her purse to keep him occupied. “You okay, Red?” Mige asked, leaning his head on her shoulder. “I’ve missed you.”

“Been better.” she sighed truthfully, “I’ve missed you too.” she kissed his head and reached for the full wine glass that stood at her place setting. As she raised the glass to her lips she glanced at Ville’s table, making accidental eye contact with Jonna, who turned her gaze quickly.

“You won me one hundred euros.” Jyrki’s voice said astutely.

“Oh..” she smiled, “and pre-tell how I did that?” she asked as he brought his wine glass to his lips, pointing at the rest of the table.

“No one else thought you’d come.” he remarked, “But I know you better than that, don’t I Fox-Den.” he chuckled.

“I haven’t been called that in years.” she replied with a fond smile, “Now I feel old.”

“We’re all old, look at us, sitting at a formal event, drinking wine, in the presence of a child, that belongs to one of us.” as she began to laugh, the room raised their glasses to toast Jonna’s father - a toast this table completely ignored. It was assumed by most of the room that the toast was over and the party was beginning, but their movement was stopped short by Jonna’s seating plan wielding friend as she starting tapping on her glass with a knife.

“Just before everyone gets into party mode, I just wanted an opportunity to thank everyone for coming to celebrate the engagement of my beautiful best friend and her fiancé. I also wanted everyone to join me in a toast, to the third and currently very tiny person, who will complete this family.” she grinned, rubbing her hand on Jonna’s belly, which had been expertly shielded with a long flowing gown. A collective gasp passed around the room, before the clapping began. “To the Valos!” she cheered. Milly set her now empty glass back down on the table and looked at her friends, all of whom were looking at her with apprehension. She rubbed her cheek against Oscar’s curly hair.

“I’m going to need another glass of wine.” she smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh do leave more lovely comments, they really do make all the writing worth it xx